Community Member

Default summoner build? will it work?

i dont know how much luck i'll have with this build, if i even do it, but i'm looking to create a summoner type class...

i know wizard (necro) and cleric/bard (and maybe others [summon monster]) can summon...cant find any other classes that can..

so any ideas on how to make this work?

any help would be good

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Pet AI is disapointing is all I will say.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I think all casting classes except paladins can get summoning spells. As Uska notes, pet AI is not good; and unlike hirelings you can't directly command your summons, so you can't even tell them which enemies to attack, which can play merry hell with aggro management. Still, it's not bad having a decoy around and some summons have nice abilities: e.g., spiders web enemies while earth elementals grab them (free crits FTW!). Also, U5 is supposed to add the Augment Summoning feat: "Your summoned creatures, charmed minions, and hirelings have +4 to all ability scores, increased health, and increased fortification;" counts as a wizard bonus feat. I wouldn't plan a build around it, but it could be fun, especially if you're a soloer who runs with hireling(s).

Community Member

u wanna help me come up with wat classes/levels i should throw in this to try it? and wat summons would help with other summons? like any specials bonuses/attacks that can play off one another if it happens that way?

Hall of Famer & Hero DoctorWhofan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackson117 View Post
    u wanna help me come up with wat classes/levels i should throw in this to try it? and wat summons would help with other summons? like any specials bonuses/attacks that can play off one another if it happens that way?
    I would make a cleric one. you can buff, DV (ifthey have mana) and heal your summons, plus cast monster holding spells or debuffs will help too. Unfortunally, you can only have one out at a time. So you would always choose the highest level one. Plus, as a cleric, you can switch quickly out to healing for group functions.
    +The Goddess of Tempest's Spine+Merc's Only, THELANIS: List is here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...94#post2798094 LEGIONNAIRE /Salute to Rameses, He has RETURNED!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWhofan View Post
    IUnfortunally, you can only have one out at a time. So you would always choose the highest level one.
    if i cross into wizard and go necro...cant i have skele and clerics monster? or would that b worthless since neither would be that leveld up? and dont rangers get spiders?

a palemaster can have a skelly, a summoned monster and a metal doggy at the same time iirc

so those might be the best summoners
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    *insert axe*
    o o

Hall of Famer & Hero DoctorWhofan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Visty View Post
    a palemaster can have a skelly, a summoned monster and a metal doggy at the same time iirc

so those might be the best summoners
    I can go with that.
    +The Goddess of Tempest's Spine+Merc's Only, THELANIS: List is here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...94#post2798094 LEGIONNAIRE /Salute to Rameses, He has RETURNED!

No, they are not viable. DDO does not have a pet class like in other games. Taking this path will end in tears for you and anyone you party with.

Quote Originally Posted by Visty View Post
    Three gimped and relatively useless (if not active working against you) pets does not a build make. If you must have pets, Crowd control...suggestion, charms, etc. go that way much more likely to actually be enjoyable.
    Last edited by Eladiun; 05-25-2010 at 03:33 PM.
    “If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.”

Default Semi-practical and very fun

You won't be able to rely upon your summons to do too much of your work for you at later levels, but they overall aren't a waste of SP or a spell slot.

I feel summons are conditionally semi-viable, but you may not wish to rely upon them...you'll need a serious backup plan.

Hezrou is almost always handy...maybe not for long but it is.
    Hellhound is very handy under certain situations....I had one draw Suulu's (sp?) ire in VoD once. Suulu kept throwing chains and fireballs at it and Hellhound didn't care at all.
    Pale Master's summons aren't great, but they aren't totally gimped.
    Create Undead is a little weak. It is hard to keep that mummy alive for long (but sure is fun when you can).
    The troll, earth elemental and efreeti are all semi-handy. Even Bezekira trips stuff for you sometimes.

I advise to do your own thing and have fun. You may wish to alter your strategies for later/harder content or you'll probably not contribute as much to your party as you could.

Are you having fun? If so, keep doing what you're doing. Just know that being focused on summoning isn't often practical for high level quests. Yet.

Huzzah!

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

There's nothing special to a summoner build insofar as there's not really any way to specialize in summoning; DDO doesn't really have a pet-centric class or PrE or anything. Clerics & rangers get summon spells for free; bards, sorcerers, and FvSs pick them at level up; wizards can do that or scribe summon scrolls. Clerics are a good choice for people new to casters in general since they get all their spells for free; makes it a lot easier to experiment until you figure out which spells you like best. Until U5's Augment Summoning there aren't any feats which enhance your summons, not even Extend. As DoctorWhofan points out, you can only have one summoned creature at a time, so usually you'll use your highest-level spell unless other spells are more important.

Oh wait, wizards can go for the Pale Master PrE, which lets you summon skeletal minions; not sure if they replace or supplement other summons. Most seem to think it's a weak PrE, though: the summons aren't anything special, there aren't many negative energy spells to benefit from your bonuses, and the lich & wraith forms aren't that useful either. But it's the closest thing to a summoner-focused PrE.