Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default My DDO, the worst anti-party feature yet.

I've got my opinions. Want to hear yours.

Since its inception, I have seen a great many party leaders use this "new feature" to scrutinize the "worth" of players seeking to join a party.

I believe this is not as intended by the devs.

I understand as DDO has significantly grown, we have a great number of players who level quickly and lack skills to use characters they are not used to.

even more so how fluid the combat system is compared to off brand knock-offs (wow), players must battle and cast in real time. But while these new players are here, hopefully to stay awhile, for they are the lifeblood of this game.. and potential word of mouth advertisement, (sorry ddo marketing, 4 commercials in 4 years is inadequate)... We REALLY need these new players to keep ddo alive and well.

Booting new players because they lack gear or have weird builds is tantamount to disaster in the long run, Sure you win your quest while the new guys never do and never learn. lose enough times and they are gone.

I dont believe My ddo can be removed now, for good or bad... but I wonder, like any dangerous item, How will you use it?

for the good of your party? for your knowledge? or for the good of ddo?

I attest I will never "My DDO" anyone who seeks to join my parties. I take what comes and we roll accordingly.

Share with me how you use My DDO if at all...

furb

If they had introduced MYDDO at any other time, it would be bad. However, you can no longer ensure competence and common sense in any random person that joins you. Note that I do not mean 'has all uber gear', I mean 'is not an 8 con bastard sword gimp with 12 str applying as a 'tank'' or 'is not a 0% fort mana sponge... at level 19'.

And because you can no longer trust others to have sense for themselves, it is necessary to check behind them to ensure not only that there is not a problem between keyboard and chair, but that there is someone there to occupy that spot.

So while it sucks that there are so many people that have no business getting to high levels at high levels, it at least helps we got the tool to continue to form non fail groups at the same time. The alternative? Don't play with unknown players at all. In that respect, MYDDO is helping them as it allows the competent, yet new players to distinguish themselves from the -10%s. It only hinders the BAD unknown players. And ya know what? I'm entirely ok with that.

With that said, it only comes up on higher level raids. Normal quests I just shortman or solo with guild and channel, no need to filter because even if players generally were competent still... well, we can do it with x (where x is between 1-5) so why wait for more?

It's DDO Darwinism. I think it's great. If someone is reasonably well equipped and built, the margin of error for their potential lack of skill/experience is much better then someone else with 100 less hit points.

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Whenever I think of it I equip something stupid before logging out. It doesn't seem to stop me from getting into parties. Maybe myddo use is on the downswing, or maybe things things like guild and personal reputation are correctly being seen as more important and myddo is only being used on unknown players from unknown guilds.

(Wait, on second thought it can't be personal rep, if they know me they'd know my chars are all gimps )

I only use it when there's nothing happening...

Needless to say, I found a lvl 17 cleric with 146 HP 3 to 4 weeks ago.
    Robi's Free to Play Guide
    Khyber... DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA
    I play as: Nagasnake, Olmanjenkins, Tyrogan, Chicobo, Torriin, Kensaito, Koruna, and Goldenac.

MyDDO is great for the self but it does absolutely nothing for the community ...

here are a couple examples...

if you look at myddo for a character as a leader of a party 1st off your already a bad leader ... cause if you cannot lead your average joe through most missions on normal and hard then knowing there gear or understanding there build is far beyond your realm.
    but secondly you cannot really tell anything .... all you can tell is what they where wearing when myddo last updated.

for example you can tell my monk has two TOD rings .. .you dont know what is crafted on them until you ask ... you see i have DT armor on but you dont know what is on it and if you did you wouldnt know why it works with my build ...

how does seeing my weighted 5% flaming burst icy burst handwraps tell you what i can do in shroud? or TOD ? or VOD?

how does it tell you what else i have in my inventory ?

does it even tell you what i use when in mission vs what i had on when i logged off last?

What it should do is allow you to squelch players you have issues with ...

but guess what most of the people I have grown to hate on these forums have all there characters as private ... so i cannot find what characters they have on my server so i can squelch them before i party with them ... geeze i cant even tell what server they are on or what guild they belong too.

so the only good thing about MyDDO is not always available ...

and all the bad things are ...

people really should learn to play the game ... if you know what your doing myddo isnt needed

my ddo is like a center advocating hate crimes .. .it allows people to act like natzi's and interogate people for there build choices and exclude them from content on the bases of assumption ..... its pretty stupid ...
    SITH HAPPENS
    [])])])])])])[]]██████████████████████████
    Quote Originally Posted by magnus1 View Post
    drfirewater... thanks for being the voice of reason!

I'm a fan of it in a way.

If I should use it I am not looking for leet gear and this and that but on a lvl 15 guy I'd like to see at least a +5 Con item, a False Life, heavy fort and such. Ok so the guy is using a +1 Ghost Touch Dwarven Axe of PG as his main weapon and he uses a shield. As long as this person isn't a squisy mofo I'm fine with em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_the_First_One View Post
    D&D promotes gang activity? Ya, because when I meet a bunch of Crypts I obviously assume they are all D20 players.
    What a stupid ruling, we all know that D&D promotes satanism, not gangs.
    In-Game Eldgrim The Gray-FvS Life Now

It lets people cut thru the b.s. of an interogation before accepting an unknown into a group.

Most long time players, IF they are even posting LFMs for PUG's would not care since the vast majority of quests it makes little difference. For those few hard quests or raids, it might be a screener.

However, it is probably most used by newer players for preening and being selective about who they play with, vets tend to have long lists of "friends" or guilds to draw from and seldom muck in the teeming masses of the unknowns.

You can tell a fair amount about the character and players by a quick review of what appears in MyDDO. You can see if they have other characters (unless they turn that off) and get a context of their play experiences. I pull up a player with only a single toon, and with gear that they reallly should have outgrown 6 levels ago, that raises some questions. I pull up a player who has a stable of characters, of a variety of levels and that seem to be well structured, I have a lot more confidence that they at least know what they should be doing. They may still be a spaz and unable to handle dynamic play, but that is independant of the pixels.

High level types without fortification (or an obviously replacement item - like a Haggle helm vs the Minos) is a red flag. Poorly spread stats, or lack of stat boost items is another flag.

The point of the game is for everyone to have fun playing it. But NOT to sacrifice your chance at fun so that someone else can be enabled to pursue their idea of Fun. It is a two way street, and the one posting the LFM has just as much right to reject as the applicant does to want to join.

Once you examine some solid characters, it takes but a few seconds to "grade" anyone you look at. Worthy, Perhaps, and Oops (what were they thinking), would be a nice simple way to break it down. Where those lines get drawn depends on the player and the expected quests on the table.
    Sarlona - Stormreach Requisition Company (SRC):Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8; Hennako-Human Cleric20; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15;more

The Left Side

I found a level 13 147 hp ranger in a madstone run. We made him stay in the back.

Tormenting Role Players, Perma-Death players, and Turbine Mods since February 2006!
    Clandestine * Magestic * HughJaas * Chaloopa * LaBamba * Fervent * DezNuda * Heinous * DeLaScorcha * Waxxoff

I like it, not to screen folks but to check out their builds (so I can help them if they are struggling) or to check out their builds (to see why they are so awesome).

Screening is a joke. It doesn't mean jack squat and the folks that do it are fooling themselves for the most part.

Thinking its changed anything is probably wrong. Some people have always been selective and they would simply reject you based on class breakdown instead of a more detailed look.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

MyDDO is the only thing thus far that has been created for us that I don't like.

When you meet someone at a social function, do you step off in a corner and google them and try to find out all their personal info before you decide to be friends?

I don't know if that was what was intended with this thing they added on, but that is what is happening.

Sure, there are two camps of opinion about it, two extremes anyway.

You have the people that want to put together what they feel is the best of the best to accomplish that high-end raid. Fine. That's awesome. Good luck.

And you have the others that are getting hit in an almost personal way by very harsh rejections because they haven't learned about the best builds yet or the coolest gear -- or perhaps they just haven't been blessed by the Loot Gods. Who knows. But they are not getting to play. It is damaging their fun.

This is a game. It is a wonderful game! None of us would be here otherwise.

So my vote is thumbs down on MyDDO.

I want to meet as many kids on the playground as I can. I want to make lots of new friends night after night and year after year. MyDDO is ruining that for many here.

I'm sure many will look up my characters after reading this. They'll see how squishy my very first and favorite character Nalinor is. You could ask me instead. I built him badly in many peoples' opinion. His CON is ten and I have a +6 CON item but that still only brings my HP up to around 200. I'm lvl 18 and that is awful, I know.

You see. I can share the info no problem. I have a Heavy Fort item too, and I have assassinate, great skills, awesome kill count, whatever.

But looking me or anyone up without our knowing is kinda creepy, don't you think? It is only game and character info, sure, but it is a hazy area to me.

So to close this post out before it grows too much longer, my reasons for being in the camp that despises it are not that it has anything to do with what kind of gamer we all are.

No, for me it is hurting peoples chances to make new friends.

Even a pure gaming idiot could become the best friend you ever met.

Are you willing to risk that meeting by voicechat never happening? Is a successful Shroud raid on elite that important?

It isn't to me.

Thanks for reading this. I never get involved with these debates. There is never really a winner.

Snip
    Last edited by SniptheShadow; 05-20-2010 at 11:37 AM.
    Guilds -- Officer: Umber Hulks, Member: Knights of the Silver Dragon (KotSD)
    Characters: Nalinor (Human Rogue lvl 20), Cargonar (Dwarven Fighter lvl 11), Atlanon (Dwarven Fighter 11/Barb. 2). Beltakorr (Human Barb. 18/Fighter 2), Fleabite (Halfling Wiz. lvl 9), Skirahzalon (Drow Bard lvl 8).

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTakenaka View Post
    I only use it when there's nothing happening...

Needless to say, I found a lvl 17 cleric with 146 HP 3 to 4 weeks ago.
    while i agree that 146 hps is low ... it doesnt tell you what gear he wears in mission .... maybe his con item is a necklace so he has to take it off for his haggle 15 item ... maybe his greater false life is a ring and he takes it off for command ring (adds to umd) maybe his greater false life is jerky pouch and he puts on his head of good fortune for umd boost?

ok he still would end up with only 220 hps prolly ... still not alot but he can heal himself and prolly stays out of battle .... my bet is he is a 34-38 wis 30 cha build w/con 8.. .quite popular in the early days lots of DV's and great DC's on spells ... so he could be uber and extreamly good healer ...

but all you saw was low hps ...

again MyDDO doesnt tell you how good the player is ...

for a while on my arcane trickster build i had 196 hps ... if you didn't know me you might think .. .man one hit and he is dead no point in taking him along .... but what you dont know is as a drow i am umding full heal scrolls with less then 200 hps i have been main healer for elite RWTD with full fleshy party I have trap skills in the 60+ range and an evasion of 32 self buffed.

none of which myddo would tell you about me.
    SITH HAPPENS

I got rejected for a PUG for Shroud recently, yes, my rogue has only got an HP of 326, but I had done 19 completions previously.
    I watched the group and it eventually went in with 10 players!

Naaa, peoples pathetic judgemental attitudes are the anti group, not MyDDO.

MyDDO is just a tool that you can use to look at what equipment their toon had on when they last logged off.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

I had an annoying run in with MyDDO the other day. After joining a Shroud raid the leader brought up the fact that MyDDO was still showing my level 20 fighter as 14......whom has been level 20 for about 3 months now.

After this being pointed out to me I asked the leader about him using MyDDO and he said he still had 200% faith in it, even after the obvious error that was there with my character.

Just goes to show how mindless and overly simplistic some people want things. MyDDO can be useful no doubt, but it has a lot of flaws and should not be used in a black and white manner.

Just because u can easily access MyDDO does not give you the ok to turn off your brain people.

Scratt for president!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dell44 View Post
    I got rejected for a PUG for Shroud recently, yes, my rogue has only got an HP of 326, but I had done 19 completions previously.
    I watched the group and it eventually went in with 10 players!
    The irony here is that we used to do this at levels 12-14, with 200 hp rogues, 250 hp monks, and 400 hp barbs, on hard, twice a week, and nail it down without even thinking about it.

When did we take two steps backward in skill level where we cant do it on normal with 350 hp toons?

They expect you to have hp, but wont help you get the ingredients to make a 45 hp item. I am a lover of irony too but....
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by sigtrent View Post
    I like it, not to screen folks but to check out their builds (so I can help them if they are struggling) or to check out their builds (to see why they are so awesome).

Screening is a joke. It doesn't mean jack squat and the folks that do it are fooling themselves for the most part.

Thinking its changed anything is probably wrong. Some people have always been selective and they would simply reject you based on class breakdown instead of a more detailed look.
    yeah I agree with the whole why are you so uber reasonings.... I love it when people say my monk sucks ... then i look up there monk and its garbage build i have twice the ac and more hps higher wisdom but they have more str ... i wear two TOD rings they dont have one yet.

but at the same time i know people who have partied with me then looked me up and now two people i don't even know but pugged with once sent me PM's and in game messeges asking for base stats for a monk build ... one of which is a buddy in game and now he has a killer monk ... maybe even on par if not slightly better then mine .. .he just missing second TOD ring.

My DDO for the sake of checking out someones build cause you like it ... is great ... to silence **** talkers ... great ...

to see if someone is raid worth .... garbage ...
    to see if someone knows how to play th game .. garbage ...
    to see if someone is equipt to raid ... .garbage
    to see it someone is a good player ... garbage and often has opposite effect to the truth.

you can go on My DDO and see someone with 5 con-op shroud items ... doesnt mean they know a lick cent about being a good caster ... then you can find someone who doesnt have even one and never runs out of mana and knows ***H he is doing.

please people dont use MyDDO for recruiting ... use common sense and experience with the player ... things you can only get by PLAYING WITH THE PERSON ... and if all else fails ASK THEM ...

people with strange builds often have a focus ... if the guy has 3 monk 11 wizard and rest fighter .. .ask him what his build is good at ... chances are he is a tank not a wizard ... but he prolly can lay down a firewall worth enough to kill mobs that are effected ... might not have the DC to finger in shroud but he prolly can beat a portal and add dps to harry with the right spells and clickies.
    SITH HAPPENS

MyDDO really helps when trying to put together groups for Epic content.

Being rejected from a shroud for having 326 hp is ridiculous, you only need about 250 in there to not get pasted (unless you're on Hard or Elite). On the other hand, in Epic content, 326 is pretty low for anyone in melee. I'd probably still take you, but many other healers would refuse. I can keep anyone that's not a total idiot alive, but if you're in the realm of 200hp you're getting 1-2 shotted by the high damage mobs, traps and spells in Epic, and that just doesn't work.

There are some good indicators one can look for. If someone has any Epic loot on, they can probably hold their own in Epic content. If they are geared out with high-end equipment, shroud items, raid loot, etc., then they are probably not n00bs. If they have extremely low hp/no fortification...then they probably don't know what they're doing.
    Unofficial Dark Wizard of The Hand of the Black Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Drfirewater79 View Post
    while i agree that 146 hps is low ... it doesnt tell you what gear he wears in mission .... maybe his con item is a necklace so he has to take it off for his haggle 15 item ... maybe his greater false life is a ring and he takes it off for command ring (adds to umd) maybe his greater false life is jerky pouch and he puts on his head of good fortune for umd boost?

ok he still would end up with only 220 hps prolly ... still not alot but he can heal himself and prolly stays out of battle .... my bet is he is a 34-38 wis 30 cha build w/con 8.. .quite popular in the early days lots of DV's and great DC's on spells ... so he could be uber and extreamly good healer ...

but all you saw was low hps ...

again MyDDO doesnt tell you how good the player is ...

for a while on my arcane trickster build i had 196 hps ... if you didn't know me you might think .. .man one hit and he is dead no point in taking him along .... but what you dont know is as a drow i am umding full heal scrolls with less then 200 hps i have been main healer for elite RWTD with full fleshy party I have trap skills in the 60+ range and an evasion of 32 self buffed.

none of which myddo would tell you about me.
    Seriously? It was for VoD... or Hound... I think it was for VoD...

I also asked him/her if she had any CON items. He/she said he/she did not. I offered to buy one for him/her. He/she refused and dropped group... and he/she was angry at me.

>.<

He/she started with 8 con. The only answer I was able to get from him/her was that he/she wanted to try a low HP build before she hated me >.< oh well...

EDIT: I usually take anyone who applies BTW. I already said that though. It was just a VERY SLOW morning...
    Robi's Free to Play Guide
    Khyber... DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA
    I play as: Nagasnake, Olmanjenkins, Tyrogan, Chicobo, Torriin, Kensaito, Koruna, and Goldenac.

I really like MyDDO.

It provides a useful snapshot for making an absolute lowest denominator judgement for end game content. 9/10 when I'm in an end game dungeon and someone is performing in the rock bottom category of usefullness when I MyDDO them it is readily apparent that they were not ready for the quest. I've also never found a case where I have MyDDO'd someone who has played well and found that their MyDDO picture would not have easily passed my lowest common denominator criteria.

It's also really useful for getting item combination ideas and checking out interesting builds. It is a real shame it's not more detailed for the second, because that would be really a neat feature particularly if you could link it easily for use on the forums
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast