Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Barrage - A weapon comparison tool

A comparison tool for those of you who know how much damage your weapons do, but you need a calculator to average it all together and test it against various DR/Fortification.

Current Version 1.5.1
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44535451/Barrage.exe - Main

Requirements:
    .NET 2.0

Design Goal
    In checking out some of the weapon comparison tools players were using I thought we could use something a little different. It seemed like it was faster do to the comparison by hand then to fill in all the fields in a dps calculator. Barrage does not ask you to input your entire build with ability scores, feats, enhancements, and items. Instead it expects that you can find your own damage mod and adds a few simple calculations. This means it's a lot faster to use and does not require updating whenever Turbine releases a new update to class abilities or items.

Damage Calculation Help
    Crafted item properties - proc rate, DC, damage and such
    Monster DR Bypass Types
    DDO Wiki - Game Mechanics

Special Notes
    1) Since it does not use 'weapon types' if you want to compare a 1h with a 2h or a 2h against DR you will need to approximate your glancing blow damage and add it as a 'Proc / Misc' effect with 'Apply DR' checked.
    2) The final average attack is an average of your crit damage with normal damage and a 5% miss chance. Attack speed is never taken into account. Keep this in mind when comparing weapons of different types
    Last edited by etelan; 08-07-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Calculation: Final Average
    Critical Chance = chance for a critical swing (10% for 19-20 Weapon) * ((100 - Fortification) / 100)
    In DDO a critical confirmation roll of 1 does not auto fail. This calculation assumes all confirmation rolls succeed

Hit Chance = 100% - 5%(Auto miss on 1) - Critical Chance
    Obviously, this is only accurate against enemies that you can hit on a 2. Generally speaking players will hit on a 2 against targets they care to use this tool for.

Natural Chance = 5% (0% if no natural 20 bonus is added to the weapon)
    This is subtracted out of the critical chance

Total = Doublestrike * ((Crit Chance/100) * Average Crit Damage + (Hit Chance/100) * Average Hit Damage + (Natural Chance/100) * Average Natural 20 Damage)
    Last edited by etelan; 08-06-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Looks nice, but doesn't seem to work.

I put in a mineral2 greataxe versus epic sos..
    DR:15, Fort: 50%

Calcluated both, got some figures.
    Removed the 15DR from the mineral2 since it bypasses..
    Calcluated again.. Got the exact same average score.

Here is a picture of the problem. left window sos, middle window min2 + dr, right window min2 no dr:
    http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1091/brokejw.jpg

BTW: Since the tool doesn't care about glancing blows, it's not going to be accurate for comparing targets with DR with 1 wepon that bypasses and 1 that doesnt no matter what. Because DR = applies double to THF (on glacicng blow swings), being glancing blows are reduced by the same amount, potentially enough to make them do no damage at al, a big drop in dps..
    Last edited by Shade; 04-24-2010 at 07:52 AM.

Thank for the feedback. The DR was a simple bug that I will post a fixed version for in the next 15 minutes. As for glancing blows I suggest adding a proc/misc effect using an approximate % and damage for now. I will add it to the wish list, but doing a full glancing blow calculation would really bloat the interface with THF feats and enchancements.

EDIT: When I get around to it I will add a checkbox to the bonus effect 'Apply DR' so you can add a glancing blow effect that changes based on target dr.
    Last edited by etelan; 04-24-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Looks pretty good. Now if we can just find some good, accurate attack speed info and put that in there somewhere!
    "Perhaps the end has not yet been written…”
    The Hand of the Black Tower Officer
    Najdorf, Assassin :: Keres, Vindicator :: Alekhine, Augur

"It's not 'Zerging.' It's an armed reconnaissance."

Quote Originally Posted by Guildmaster_Kadish View Post
    Looks pretty good. Now if we can just find some good, accurate attack speed info and put that in there somewhere!
    http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=15 and for reference http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=201535

Release of version 1.1.2. Can now select a crit range of 1-20. This is to allow players to compare weapons that are used only for the purpose of hitting stunned, held, or otherwise auto crit enemies.
    Last edited by etelan; 05-21-2010 at 01:13 AM.

Default New release

v1.3.0

Default New release

v1.3.1

Default New Release

v1.3.2. Mostly visual stuff.

Replaced the word 'Swing'.
    Fixed an out of order tabbing on the main window.
    Changed arrow increments for doublstrike and fortification.
    Fixed a problem with the damage calc if the DR is higher than the base damage.

Quote Originally Posted by etelan View Post
    v1.3.2. Mostly visual stuff.

Replaced the word 'Swing'.
    Fixed an out of order tabbing on the main window.
    Changed arrow increments for doublstrike and fortification.
    Fixed a problem with the damage calc if the DR is higher than the base damage.
    oh u designed this samond? awesome didnt realise tell now..

nice update..

However I tried it:

ERROR: dotNET 4.0.blahblah must be installed.. (then it exits)

meh I'd rather not install that as I run my OS on a very small 3GB partition and it has no option to install it on my other 1TB+ partitions. (and previously versions function with dotNET 2.0)

Also, requested upgrades for new U12 loot calcs if possible:
    Crit multipliers: Allow fractional values, and values about 10x to estimate complex multipliers, and allow a check box:
    x - seperate multiplier per roll:
    eg:
    19-20: x6 (say for barbarian berserkerS)
    15-18: x3 (ESoS, non increased as non 19-20 rolls)

And:
    on 20 roll (or on crit, etc):
    Allow up to 100d6.. current only allows 20d6, and the new Bonespliiter item has a 40d6 proc on a 20. (easy to esimate with 20d12, or 2x 20d6, but 40d6 would be preferable)

Otherwise:
    Again thanks for the app, I use it often. Far more accurate then most other options these days for comparion weapons.
    Last edited by Shade; 10-31-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    oh u designed this samond? awesome didnt realise tell now..

nice update..
    Thanks, as you can tell it's been a while since I checked here. Time to check my thread subscription settings. Although now you can just tell me in game

However I tried it:

ERROR: dotNET 4.0.blahblah must be installed.. (then it exits)
    Whoops. I updated to the latest Visual Studio and that reset some things. I can update it today with the fix.

Crit multipliers: Allow fractional values, and values about 10x to estimate complex multipliers, and allow a check box:
    Added fractional values. I'm not sure what weapon this is for, but I added it out to 2 decimal places just in case. 10x crit multiplier was already there so I left that alone. I also took this chance to add fractional values for the proc effects.

x - seperate multiplier per roll:
    eg:
    19-20: x6 (say for barbarian berserkerS)
    15-18: x3 (ESoS, non increased as non 19-20 rolls)
    This I would need to work out when I have some more time. I'm not as concerned about class features as I am about weapon features, but this did come up before with the Bow of Sinew so it seems like a good thing to have.

EDIT: I have a design ready to add this for v1.4.0. Unless something comes up that should happen this weekend.

And:
    on 20 roll (or on crit, etc):
    Allow up to 100d6.. current only allows 20d6, and the new Bonespliiter item has a 40d6 proc on a 20. (easy to esimate with 20d12, or 2x 20d6, but 40d6 would be preferable)
    Hmmm... The dice damage in the effect dialog box already goes up to 500d6. Let me know if that's still happening in 1.3.3.
    Last edited by etelan; 02-02-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Community Member

Erm, looks like an off by one error in there. With a threat range of just 20, it doesn't seem to add in any damage from a critical hit to the average attack value. Bumping up either the threat range to 19-20, or the multiplier to x3 gives the 5% increase I'm expecting from a simple 20/x2 profile.
    Last edited by Frotz; 03-31-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frotz View Post
    Erm, looks like an off by one error in there. With a threat range of just 20, it doesn't seem to add in any damage from a critical hit to the average attack value. Bumping up either the threat range to 19-20, or the multiplier to x3 gives the 5% increase I'm expecting from a simple 20/x2 profile.
    Looks like it's working to me. Remember that there is a 5% miss calculated in. So a 20/x2 the final will be the same as the regular attack (the miss on a 1 exactly cancels the extra 1x weapon damage).

Community Member

Right. Knew that and then forgot when comparing to numbers from elsewhere and what all the different numbers meant. Please disregard.

Nice tool! It makes definitely makes comparing different (eg Calomel Rapier vs Lit II Rapier, etc) weapons easier.

One suggestion would be to make some known effects (Holy, Good Burst, etc) be selectable from the drop downs. So we don't have to recreate it each time.

Tried latest version.

Awesome.

Thanks for implementing requested features, they work well.

Thanks for implementing requested features, they work well.
    Great.

There is one minor bug I noticed. If you use the fractional crit multipliers the min-max weapon damage displayed for crits is not correct (the final averages work out fine still). The min and max are both multiplied by the crit multiplier.

I'll fix it one day, but I'm not too concerned atm since the final average is what everyone cares about. Also, it's a real bummer that the damage mod went missing from the inventory panel for MotU...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast