Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What do you think of the SyFy Channel

After Tubines announcement about commercials on TV for DDO was posted -- which by the way is wonderful -- a ways down the thread the SyFy channel was mentioned as a channel where the advertising might hit first, along with G4 being another. Awesome!

So then I started to wonder about the SyFy channel as a whole....

The players of DDO seem like the exact people to ask.

Be honest, please.

What do you think of the SyFy channel?

If I gave it a letter grade for overall content and shows and things...well, things science fiction related that actually please me, on a good day I'd give it a C -

But that is just me.

My reasons for the low grade on a good day are:

Seeing wrestling on a "Scifi" channel. I don't think anything on that channel gets me more bent out of shape, no pun intended.

Also, why are James Bond films aired? Bond is fiction, sure, but scifi? Wha -?

I'm not a big fan of Ghost Hunters either. Sheesh, if I knew I could make money jumping around in the dark for no reason I woulda....

One other thing. When Michael Crichton died wouldn't you think a TV channel that specialized in science fiction would at least mention his death? A different channel had a Michael Crichton movie day. Yoo-hoo!!! Hello!

And wouldn't it be swell (yeah, I said swell) to have a show set aside where you actually had science fiction and all other related genre writers on TV, and had someone chat with them about new books and things? Something like CSPAN? To actually talk with writers of science fiction on a supposedly science fiction based channel. Weird.

Anyway, I don't want to sway opinions here, although you can tell this bugs me.

I am curious if folks love it or hate it.

It's strong points are things like Caprica and Battlestar before it. Back in the day Farscape rocked. What happened there? I like some of the mini-series they've have aired, too.

So what are some views of the SyFy channel?

I know we as fans of the genre need something set aside all for us on TV to quench our imaginations, but I tell ya, I have the urge to start my own TV channel at times.

Whew! I feel better people.

Thanks everyone ahead of time

Snip

P.S. Sorry for the rant. I never rant....
    Guilds -- Officer: Umber Hulks, Member: Knights of the Silver Dragon (KotSD)
    Characters: Nalinor (Human Rogue lvl 20), Cargonar (Dwarven Fighter lvl 11), Atlanon (Dwarven Fighter 11/Barb. 2). Beltakorr (Human Barb. 18/Fighter 2), Fleabite (Halfling Wiz. lvl 9), Skirahzalon (Drow Bard lvl 8).

They used that trick before when it was named SciFi. There was a DDO commercial during an episode of BSG before the initial 2006 release of DDO.
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • Fixing physical defense for Rangers and Rogues. It’s ridiculous that you’re better off wearing Heavy Armor and ignoring your innate feats on these classes.
    • Cannith Crafting.
    • Update the named loot to put them on the same system.
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Fixing all challenges to give us decent XP and ingredient returns for the unreasonable time we have to spend in most of them.

the only thing of worth that was on SyFy was Battlestar Galatica(the newer version). Their orignal programing is pretty bad overall. Battlestar was well written(the 1st two seasons at least) and well acted. All the other stuff on there is like direct to video junk.....even the last big budget mini-series Alice sucked. Now I just watch it if they do rerun marathon of some shows I watched growing up....Incredible Hulk,Buck Rogers...etc. It's not SciFi at all they are tryin to be edgy....but the fail at it.
    No I don't wear a Concordant Opp item on my Barb...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Zixx of the FlatBlade(Barb)

Community Member

I liked it better when it was called Sci Fi and they hadn't changed the name to impress the hipsters who suddenly decided scifi and being a "geek" is cool.

I've been increasingly disappointed with SciFi (I refuse to use SyFy since it is meaningless) and rarely watch it anymore. Years ago I hoped I would be able to catch vintage shows and movies, but I get those from TCM. Eureka was the only reason to watch and I usually caught them on Hulu anyhow. Their made for channel movies are atrocious. Commercial films are censored. Given all the sources of shows these days, I don't really understand how the networks that censor, cut, show pan and scan, etc. can even stay in business.
    What do you mean a -6 armor class is no good any more?

Proud handler of Baldric, Melkazar, Clant, Mulray, Tirimon, Mallon.
    Remember, if one of them falls off a cliff, it's actually my fault.

yea, I finally 'gave up the ghost' (pardon the pun) when wrestling and ghost hunters made their appearance. Now, it's still on my fav channel button, but it's mostly a flip through to see if there's a fun movie on, or to catch a ST:TNG rerun.

I would prefer seeing them advertise on the G4 network or comedy central during Adult swim

Hate the name
    Hate the wrestling, doesn't fit the theme.
    Hate Ghost Hunters, but that at least sort of fits the theme (and its probably cheap)

Love the super bad, derivative or even blatant rip-off movies that make up their Saturday and Sunday line-ups

I like some of their current original shows like Stargate Universe, Eureka, Caprica, Sanctuary. They have had some good older shows too like Farscape and SG1. And occasionally they have a cool marathon or mini series running that I'll watch all day long.

On the other hand, I don't give a **** about wrestling or ghost hunters, and that sham they used to promote named John Edward was pathetic. But the stuff I don't like I don't watch. Overall I'd prefer to have the channel as it is than not have it at all.
    Ascent, Argonnessen ~ Cleatus Yogurthawker | Isostatic Rebound | Mohorovicic Discontinuity | Angular Unconformity
    Ghalanda ~
    Feldspathic Greywacke

I always have a nice glass of red wine while watching their "cheese".
    Dravun , Yocoba, Daivik, and so many more.
    Proud to serve the Imperial Assassins!
    Do not drink the awesome-sauce......One must BE the awesome-sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Recovery View Post
    I would prefer seeing them advertise on the G4 network or comedy central during Adult swim
    I would prefer seeing them advertise everywhere they possibly can.
    Ascent, Argonnessen ~ Cleatus Yogurthawker | Isostatic Rebound | Mohorovicic Discontinuity | Angular Unconformity
    Ghalanda ~
    Feldspathic Greywacke

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley_Nicholas View Post
    I would prefer seeing them advertise everywhere they possibly can.
    touche

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RangerOne View Post
    Their made for channel movies are atrocious. Commercial films are censored.
    They make a fair number of what used to be termed B-grade movies that are throwaway entertainment.

However, they also make some excellent movies. The Lost Room was a great mythology, their Dune adaptations (especially Children of Dune) were fantastic, and Tin Man (a 're-imagining' of the Wizard of Oz) was decent. I haven't seen it yet, but recently they did Riverworld (off the classic science fiction series by Philip Jose Farmer).

Inarguably, they don't have Hollywood production values, but they often do an excellent job despite that.

That being said, I'm not planning on wasting two hours of my life on "Mega Piranha".

Used to be Sci-Fi sucked because of their terrible content. Now, it's because of their terrible content and corporate PR morons making their marketing decisions for them. You know when you try to be cool and aren't because you're trying too hard? That's the Sci Fi Channel. They should embrace their inner geek more and give their viewers what they want over what makes sense as part of a marketing push.

Loved Battlestar, though. And the occasional "I'm super-drunk but not passed out yet, is there some kind of bikini chick battling a robot/water monster/mythical beast" movie.
    DDOcast - A weekly podcast about DDO!
    Characters: Sarlona: Mockduck (Cleric): Beefheart (Fighter): Mockduk (Ranger/Rogue): Monkduck (Monk): Veiovis (Fvs/Rog) Guild: Mockduck (Rogue) Cannith: Mockduck (Fvs/Rogue) Twitter Facebook

Still, if I was Turbine Brothers marketing department, I'd put the DDO ad on Sci-Fi (I too refuse the new moniker), Adult Swim and G4.
    DDOcast - A weekly podcast about DDO!
    Characters: Sarlona: Mockduck (Cleric): Beefheart (Fighter): Mockduk (Ranger/Rogue): Monkduck (Monk): Veiovis (Fvs/Rog) Guild: Mockduck (Rogue) Cannith: Mockduck (Fvs/Rogue) Twitter Facebook

Community Member

I'd put my money on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim or during FX's Archer.

Wow was Riverworld bad. I was ****ed for like the first hour, and still forced myself to watch the entire four because I like three of the main actors. But man did they hork that endeavor. Don't know why they even bothered.

Everywhere and nowhere but always somewhere...

Default Hrmm....

Have to echo many of the things here. Sci-Fi and G4 are a good choice for advertisement. Im a big fan of the Stargate and BSG series. Cant say that Ive really got into SGU, Eureka, or Sanctuary tho.

Been watching Caprica, SG-1, Atlantis, ST:TNG and like many of you hate hate hate that they play wrestling and Ghost Hunters on there. Im also not really an anime fan and tend to change the channel when they come on.

I really wish theyd play more of The Outer Limits and some of the newer Twilight Zones rather than just the old ones at 3 in the morning. Never watch the Sci-Fi original movies on there- theyre **** imo. As far as censorship goes Im sorry to say but thats true of most cable channels that arent strictly based around movies and even some of them that are.
    Urgol the Registrar says, 'Urgol sad, cry tiny kobold tears! Too tiny to see - but Urgol not let you inside.'

Quote Originally Posted by Club'in View Post
    Wow was Riverworld bad. I was ****ed for like the first hour, and still forced myself to watch the entire four because I like three of the main actors. But man did they hork that endeavor. Don't know why they even bothered.
    Not only "why did they bother", but why did they bother twice? This was their second abortion of PJ Farmers classic work and all it did was make me cry So much potential wasted on a very limited budget network. If they put half the money into RW as they did Children of Dune, it would have been much better.

But I do enjoy Stargate Universe, Caprica, Dr Who, and late night Farscape reruns. As a network, it really not that bad, compared to what most other networks dish out.

Minnesota, USA - Where the news reports when it's -30F but NEVER when it's 98F w/ dew point of 72F

Default Pretty good TV series lineup...

...but the VERY CHEESY B-Movies HAVE to go!
    Thelanis - Lightbearer - Cleric 20, Sareeshi - Ranger 20 (TR from AA to AA, yea, that's right), Roggiegal - 16/2/2 Rogue, Pally, Fighter, Pyranas - TR Sorceres 19, Pallyguy - Pally 19, Littlebigman - 20/2 (dwarf) Ranger/Fighter (tempest), Locksmythe - 11 Rogue and others...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast