Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    34

    Default Can you buy guest passes from other players?

    I have a f2p account and would be interested in paying another player a certain amount of gp in exchange for a guest pass.
    However after I put up an add someone sent me a tell that that was illegal and that i could get banned for it but he was unsure on whether that was true. I therefore would like a definite answer to this question which would help me get favor, but i do not wish to see it cost me my account.

  2. #2
    Founder & Hero Uska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    22,873

    Default

    You can if someone wants to spend their tp that way but you cant look for someone to sell one to you using the lfm system try the trade channel I might be willing to sell a pass this way but it wouldnt be cheap.

    The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    34

    Default

    so the issue is not acquiring the pass: it's just keeping the info where it is supposed to be?

  4. #4
    Founder & Hero Uska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    22,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by weirding View Post
    so the issue is not acquiring the pass: it's just keeping the info where it is supposed to be?
    Pretty much but if someone rips you off dont expect turbine to help. You might see people using the lfm system to try to sell or buy stuff sometimes but it is against the rules and they can be banned for it.


    just ask in the trade channel if someone will sell you a guest pass or maybe if you get something good(loot) you can trade for one.


    one more tip for some free tp so you can buy packs and not worry about guest passes play one character to 500 favor per server you can get quite a bit of free tp for first time server bounes this way. it would be 125 tp per ser plus first time bouns plus you would have drow on every server that way. as well as being half way to veteran on every server.

    The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

  5. #5
    Customer Service Representative SDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Hello Folks,

    The sale of guest passes for in-game gold isn't something that is intended and certainly not something that is supported by Turbine. There is no protection for the seller or the buyer if anything suspect takes place and this type of activity may also result in disciplinary action.

    ~SDM
    English Support Portal
    German Support Portal
    French Support Portal

    English Phone Support: 855-WBGAMES or (781) 407-4020
    10am - 7pm (EST), 7 days a week

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default

    i would like to get a specific 100% response about selling a guest pass.

    Pass is ingame item
    Platina is ingame "item"

    If one plays the game and gets Turbine points from questing, its still worth 0 to the person playing the game (f2p) if he decides to sell his guest pass to someone (ingame item, paid 0 euros for it)

    is it legal ?

    as far as i can read the ingame rules, its legal, like i cant see a spot in the text where it says its illegal to sell ingame items for platina. Its like selling a weapon or armor, no difference (as you sell those weapons and armors in DDO store also)

    Basicly, if Turbine would refund real life money from items, like guest pass, exp potions etc etc, then i could see that the items actually are worth real money, but as Turbine is selling stuff with Turbine points, then we can see that Turbine points are not real money, even if some players pay for them, does not make Turbine points a real world currency that is forbidden to be used to buy stuff ingame.

    Thus i am in a dilemma, help ?

    HALP

  7. #7
    Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    17,767

    Default

    Not allowed, subject to ban. TP is considered cash because MOST TP are bought for cash and there isn't a clear way of splitting which are cash and which are free on most accounts since most accounts have both types.

    Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    Hello Folks,

    Purchasing Guest Passes with in-game gold is a violation of the Code of Conduct. Please refrain from making such purchases in the future.

    ~SDM
    Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    The guest passes are purchased with real money, so trading those passes for in-game currency is essentially the same as any other RMT. Hopefully that clears up any confusion on the subject.

    ~SDM

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodlance View Post
    i would like to get a specific 100% response about selling a guest pass.

    Pass is ingame item
    Platina is ingame "item"

    If one plays the game and gets Turbine points from questing, its still worth 0 to the person playing the game (f2p) if he decides to sell his guest pass to someone (ingame item, paid 0 euros for it)

    is it legal ?

    as far as i can read the ingame rules, its legal, like i cant see a spot in the text where it says its illegal to sell ingame items for platina. Its like selling a weapon or armor, no difference (as you sell those weapons and armors in DDO store also)

    Basicly, if Turbine would refund real life money from items, like guest pass, exp potions etc etc, then i could see that the items actually are worth real money, but as Turbine is selling stuff with Turbine points, then we can see that Turbine points are not real money, even if some players pay for them, does not make Turbine points a real world currency that is forbidden to be used to buy stuff ingame.

    Thus i am in a dilemma, help ?

    HALP
    Hope it helps:

    http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=33

    EDIT: dangit, Lorien - you and your ninja fast typing skills!

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Thanks,

    Can someone please copy cut paste the paragraph from the Code of Conduct also, so we can see that its not just an opinion or i think we do it like this etc. Had this split reasoning in other MMOs until a leading developer said its allowed.

    But as it seems, this looks very bad to our f2p players, they are totally confined to f2p content.... this is bad.


  10. #10
    Community Member Tydeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodlance View Post
    But as it seems, this looks very bad to our f2p players, they are totally confined to f2p content.... this is bad.

    Nah, a person with the pass gifting it to a F2P is ok; you just can't get any coin or anything in exchange. I think the passes are more for when you're making a group for an adventure pack quest and a F2P joins the group, or for the sheer generosity(like giving a F2P player a necro4 pass so he/she can get the Minos Legens helm from the Orchard).

  11. #11
    Community Member Hecate100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    113

    Default

    I can't seem to get rid of my Three Barrel Cove guest pass on Cannith through I've offered it via the General channel three different days & times, lol.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tydeth View Post
    Nah, a person with the pass gifting it to a F2P is ok; you just can't get any coin or anything in exchange. I think the passes are more for when you're making a group for an adventure pack quest and a F2P joins the group, or for the sheer generosity(like giving a F2P player a necro4 pass so he/she can get the Minos Legens helm from the Orchard).

    Yea the dilemma is,

    Gifting a pass is ok

    Gifting a pass and getting gift platina back is not ok.

    so ummm ? i dont get it ?

    Gifting a pass that is worth, some euros is ok, BUT gifting platina back that is worth 0 euros is NOT ?

    i just dont understand this, its its its totally madness ( and on top of that i read all of the EULA and Code of Conduct and didnt find a spot that is in conflict with this, perhaps they should update the Code of Conduct with the upcoming update7 ? ).
    Last edited by Bloodlance; 10-05-2010 at 07:58 AM.

  13. #13

    Default

    I suppose if someone wanted to "sell" you a +1 dagger, for an agreed upon amount of Plat, and decided to toss in a "Free" 30/60/90 min Pass along with it... That might be ok.

    So many idiots, so few comets....

    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    And by "Yes", I mean "No".

  14. #14
    Community Member Legohaiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern Louisiana
    Posts
    549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfvyra View Post
    I suppose if someone wanted to "sell" you a +1 dagger, for an agreed upon amount of Plat, and decided to toss in a "Free" 30/60/90 min Pass along with it... That might be ok.



    aka - The Loophole
    Do or Do not..... there is no Try. -Yoda
    'DDO, or DDOn't. There is no WoW' -Dunklezhan

  15. #15
    Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    17,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodlance View Post
    Thanks,

    Can someone please copy cut paste the paragraph from the Code of Conduct also, so we can see that its not just an opinion or i think we do it like this etc. Had this split reasoning in other MMOs until a leading developer said its allowed.

    But as it seems, this looks very bad to our f2p players, they are totally confined to f2p content.... this is bad.

    This isn't opinion, you have it from a key member of the Dev team above that this is prohibitted under the terms of service as it is considered an RMT transaction.


    Quote Originally Posted by Elfvyra View Post
    I suppose if someone wanted to "sell" you a +1 dagger, for an agreed upon amount of Plat, and decided to toss in a "Free" 30/60/90 min Pass along with it... That might be ok.

    People buying plat from farmers tried that excuse, didn't prevent their bans. "Turbine is stupid, they will believe this" won't cut it. Remember, Turbine can ban you under the TOS if it feels like it. They don't need to reach a legal standard of proof for any particular violation of the rules.

  16. #16
    Community Member Cauthey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Orien, and sometimes Thelanis.
    Posts
    3,232

    Default

    How about I "gift" you the pass. Then, you "gift" me some platinum? :P
    PLEASE FIX LAG. PLEASE FIX BUGS.

  17. #17
    Community Member Legohaiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern Louisiana
    Posts
    549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_the_First_One View Post
    People buying plat from farmers tried that excuse, didn't prevent their bans. "Turbine is stupid, they will believe this" won't cut it. Remember, Turbine can ban you under the TOS if it feels like it. They don't need to reach a legal standard of proof for any particular violation of the rules.

    im confused at your supposed similarity.... people buying plat from plat farmers need to be banned... and their dogs shot.


    If someone bought my Magical dagger of X, and i decide to give them a guest pass because i dont want it.... there is nothing wrong with that transaction.

    (i actually have guest passes sitting in my bank. Guy i was supposed to go with backed out... after I bought it)
    Do or Do not..... there is no Try. -Yoda
    'DDO, or DDOn't. There is no WoW' -Dunklezhan

  18. #18
    Community Member DANTEIL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago / Sarlona
    Posts
    1,076

    Default

    I wonder if the reason behind the OP is the recent "Pirate Lottos" that a lot of people (including twice myself, amazingly) seem to have won, which included a guest pass to 3BC. Its a nice thing to win, but honestly I have no idea what I am going to do with these passes. I'd rather sell (or give, I suppose, since selling seems to be against the rules) them to a deserving F2P player.

  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_the_First_One View Post
    This isn't opinion, you have it from a key member of the Dev team above that this is prohibitted under the terms of service as it is considered an RMT transaction.
    A developer quote is not the same as a clause in the terms of service, especially when the quotation is factually untrue.

    Exchanging platinum for a guest pass is not Real Money Transfer, because a guest pass is not real money. It's something that was (probably) acquired from real money, but it isn't money any longer. Someone can't point to the terms of service and show a logical progression from A to B. It's useful to know that some devs consider it differently, but it would be more useful to know they were following their own rules.

    Note that if offering someone plat to spend TP on a guest pass for you (probably because you'd like to obtain a certain piece of named loot) is a violation, then it could equivalently be a violation to offer plat to help you gain a named item, if doing so meant the other person had to spend TP such as to get himself the adventure pack, or to obtain mnemonic potions to win.

    What if you're buying Bloodstone for plat, so someone buys Demon Sands pack to get it for you? What if you're buying Eardweller for plat, so someone buys Dreaming Dark pack to get it for you?

    Once a game involves both in-game trading of commodities and selling of game commodities for real-world cash, it is inevitable that players will be pressured to spend real cash in support of in-game transactions. Indeed, that's much of the point. If some transactions are going to be prohibited, the administrators should prohibit them explicitly.
    Last edited by Angelus_dead; 10-05-2010 at 10:06 AM.

  20. #20
    Customer Service Representative SDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Hello all,

    Let me be very clear. Selling a guest pass for in-game currency is a violation of the Code of Conduct and will result in a suspension.


    Code of Conduct Rule #11

    "You may not advertise the intent to, or commit the act of, unauthorized selling or buying of game items for real-world monetary values."


    Turbine Points have a real-world monetary value, so the above Code of Conduct rule does apply.

    ~SDM
    English Support Portal
    German Support Portal
    French Support Portal

    English Phone Support: 855-WBGAMES or (781) 407-4020
    10am - 7pm (EST), 7 days a week

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload