Default Enervation Weapon > Proc Damage Weapons?

Just a curious question regarding Greensteel DPS weapons.

I was looking at yk49's Crafted item properties - proc rate, DC, damage and such and came across Enervation:

On a weapon:
    Enervation (fire/negative/fire+negative)
    * 1d4 negative levels. appears to have about 5% chance to trigger on each hit
    * no save (DDOwiki contributer)

I don't know the math, but taking away an average of 2 levels every 20 hits from an end-game monster sounds pretty crazy. Considering the sheer amount of HP monsters in Epic and elite Amrath has, I imagine each enervate would subtract a significant amount of HP. The question is: would the HP lost from negative levels exceed the damage done by procs such as lightning strike or a disintegration weapon? I image in would?

Unfortunately, both fire and negative wouldn't work on a lot of monsters... but enervation weapons seem pretty nifty.
    Check out my: My Index of Builds / My Capped Characters on Khyber: Krythan II / Velkro Sorcerer / Krythen 13/6/1 Rogue
    Need Some XP? / AFK for a bit: School. / See WF Body Feat Appearances

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goldeneye View Post
    I don't know the math, but taking away an average of 2 levels every 20 hits from an end-game monster sounds pretty crazy.
    How about a weapon that cuts off his head every 20 hits?

Considering the sheer amount of HP monsters in Epic and elite Amrath has, I imagine each enervate would subtract a significant amount of HP.
    Oh right, you can't vorpalize in epic. Ok, so what about a weapon that makes the enemy immobile and autocritted in 20 hits?

Those are what you'd start comparing the enervation proc against.

In epic yes, but very temporarily. Someone claimed negative levels only last 3 seconds on another post about them. You'd be better off using a dreamspitter on stunned monsters if that's what you wanted.

Elite Amrath can be DPS'd down fairly easily. Vorpals work as well

I would compare that to earthgrab weapons, as earthgrab has at worst a 5% chance to work, and more on low reflex mobs. So ~4 neg levels in 20 swings VS an already dead enemy. That's how I see it.

Now my fighter is lvl 20 (tonight yay!) I plan to craft 2x earthgrab weapons for her and start running epic.

Craft the enervation weapons and lets test them side by side
    Proud Leader & official Gimp of Crimson Eagles on Khyber
    Angryscrews Wiz 20 - Felgor Barb 20 - Brelgor Fighter 18/1/1 - Flavoursome TR1 Sorc 15 - Splatsplat DoS 18/2
    Quote Originally Posted by Auran82 View Post
    Numot talks enough for like 10 people. So yeah, 13 people in that channel.

I'm wondering the same thing...since I always use the dreamspitter on stunned epic trash mobs. I'm also wondering how many levels epic mobs have - you can drain them like 20 times (~50 levels drained) and they still haven't died yet. I have a feeling that each drained level equals a few hundred hit points (in additional to the dmg the dreamspitter already does), which actually equates to massive DPS.
    Nuckaholic20 WF Sorc | Nuckoholic20 Human KOTC Pally | Nucka20 WF FVS | Ghallanda ReRolled

Quote Originally Posted by Nuckoholic View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing...since I always use the dreamspitter on stunned epic trash mobs. I'm also wondering how many levels epic mobs have - you can drain them like 20 times (~50 levels drained) and they still haven't died yet. I have a feeling that each drained level equals a few hundred hit points (in additional to the dmg the dreamspitter already does), which actually equates to massive DPS.
    I'm not sure how the Devs programmed Neg Levels but if they did it like in D&D then you only lose 5 hp per neg level as well as -1 on to hit, saves and skill rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    How about a weapon that cuts off his head every 20 hits?

Oh right, you can't vorpalize in epic. Ok, so what about a weapon that makes the enemy immobile and autocritted in 20 hits?

Those are what you'd start comparing the enervation proc against.
    I'm more commenting on the fact that people are always crafting lightning strike weapons just for fighting trash. Yes, they could use Weighted or Vorpal, but people still use Lightning Strike.

I imagine that
    5% change for 1d4 neg levels takes more HP then Lightning Strike's 1% for 500-600hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyfruit View Post
    In epic yes, but very temporarily. Someone claimed negative levels only last 3 seconds
    Oh wow. That makes enervation procs pretty worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakos View Post
    I'm not sure how the Devs programmed Neg Levels but if they did it like in D&D then you only lose 5 hp per neg level as well as -1 on to hit, saves and skill rolls.
    If I remember correct:
    negative levels will:
    Lower their amount of HP they get from CON
    Lower how many HP they get per level.

When players get enervated in PvP they loose a few dozen hp. I imagine monsters with 10,000,000 hp might loose more
    Check out my: My Index of Builds / My Capped Characters on Khyber: Krythan II / Velkro Sorcerer / Krythen 13/6/1 Rogue

I'm more commenting on the fact that people are always crafting lightning strike weapons just for fighting trash. Yes, they could use Weighted or Vorpal, but people still use Lightning Strike.

I imagine that
    5% change for 1d4 neg levels takes more HP then Lightning Strike's 1% for 500-600hp.
    Lightning Strike's key merit is that its proc rate is believed to be 2.5%. That's 15 damage per swing.

Also, people make them as Pit Fiend beaters, as on Normal they are superior to Mineral 2's on all three raidboss Pit Fiends. The fact that they are also the #4 trash beater in game for sub 2000 hp trash (#1 Epic SoS, #2 Epic Chaosblade, #3 Epic Xuum) is gravy.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Lightning Strike's key merit is that its proc rate is believed to be 2.5%. That's 15 damage per swing. Also, people make them as Pit Fiend beaters, as on Normal they are superior to Mineral 2's on all three raidboss Pit Fiends.
    Fair enough. Makes sense that they would work in more situations then enervate GS.