So I've been shopping for a new car and it's come down to this dilemma: keep my 95 Mustang GT or go for a new 2010 Camaro. However, I find it is a difficult choice sometimes and I've talked myself into and out of buying the new car several times.
Following is a list of pros and cons about both decisions - maybe by putting it all down in writing I can get my head around it and make a decision once and for all.
95 Mustang GT
* It's paid for (really, this is probably the biggest factor in keeping it - it's nice not having a car payment)
* I "know" this car (how it handles, what it can do, etc.)
* I'm emotionally invested in this car (I've had it for a loooong time, and it's been the only constant through some good times and bad)
* It's a "classic" in a way, since it's the last year Mustangs had the old 5.0 V8
* It needs a lot of work - we're talking new paint job and minor body work, new suspension, new CV joints, engine rebuild, new back end, and the interior needs to be almost completely rebuilt. Basically, name something and it probably needs to be replaced or rebuilt. This would probably take a couple years to complete, and probably several thousand dollars.
* Something fails about once a year, leaving me without a car for a short period of time (some of this would go away after it was rebuilt, I hope)
2010 Camaro 2LT RS
* It's new and under factory warranty
* It has better horsepower than my Mustang
* It gets better gas mileage than my Mustang currently does
* New "toys" (satellite radio, OnStar, MP3 jack for the stereo, etc.)
* Looks way cooler than the Mustang (not that the Mustang is ugly or anything - it's still a nice-looking car when it's cleaned up)
* Monthly car payment for the next 4-6 years (depending on financing)
* Smaller cabin - I have about a half inch of clearance between the top of my head and the roof (and that's with the seat dropped as low as it will go)
* Reduced visibility - the windows are much narrower with larger blind spots
So there is my dilemma. There might be additions or changes to this list as I think of them. If anyone has any helpful input, let me know.