Default Gaming Addictions

Was bored on my flight to one of my RL project meetings.. saw this in a magazine.... food for thought. Maybe strikes a chord with some and make someone stop, think, and improve their RL.

Signs that you might have an issue, especially if you honestly answer yes to all of these. I wonder if DDO has any outreach for folks that do get addicted to DDO and see impacts to their RL? Maybe DDO should donate money to some casue to help folks find balance....

1. Do you need to play online games with increasing amounts of time in order to achieve the desired excitement?

2. Are you preoccupied with gaming (thinking about it when offline, anticipating your next online session)?

3. Have you lied to friends and family members to conceal extent of your online gaming?

4. Do you feel restless or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop online gaming?

5. Have you made repeated unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back, or stop online gaming?

6. Do you use gaming as a way of escaping from problems or relieve feelings of helplessness, guilt, anxiety, or depression?

7.Have you jeopardized or lost a significant relationship, or even risked your marriage because of your online gaming habit?

8. Have you jeopardized a job, educational, or career opportunity because of your online gaming habit?
    Cardinaldrew - Badmonkey - Ramblinrose - Heatmonkey - Soulmonkey - Minglle wood - Estimated Prophet - and other monkeys. All deleted for permanent retirement.

Proud Officer --- Archangels---

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Last edited by Lorien_the_First_One; 04-15-2010 at 03:35 PM.

(edit) whatever
    Last edited by dasein18; 04-15-2010 at 03:33 PM.
    Cardinaldrew - Badmonkey - Ramblinrose - Heatmonkey - Soulmonkey - Minglle wood - Estimated Prophet - and other monkeys. All deleted for permanent retirement.

Community Member

I answered "yes" to three and "maybe" to two more, but I think that is because this is what I choose to do with all my free time. I don't think I have a problem with DDO. Although I am likely to give up sleep to play, I do not let it impact time with my family or work.

The good thing about DDO for me is that it stops when you aren't around. I previously played a game called Tribal Wars for over two years. That game ran 24/7. You could log out and go to bed only to find that all you worked for in-game was in danger of vanishing when you woke up the next day. I seldom went more than 2 or 3 hours without logging in to check on my "empire" and at one point was actually playing 12-14 hours a day. I finally realized the stress was too much, and that coupled with family issues (that were not the result of too much time in-game) made me just quit one day. Never logged in again. Ignored messages from fellow tribe members who tracked me down in RL and begged me to return.

It was a great relief and I specifically set out to find something that only progressed while I was logged in.

Wow I did something similiar to this for alcohol... I answered 5 of 7 yes... But I am an alcohol lol.

I answered yes to all the DDO questions!

Hello, my name is Butter and I am a DDO addict...
    Englorious Basteurds - There the only ones who can put up with me.

1. Do you need to play online games with increasing amounts of time in order to achieve the desired excitement?
    Nope.

2. Are you preoccupied with gaming (thinking about it when offline, anticipating your next online session)?
    Sometimes. I enjoy gaming- it's my hobby. Some people look forward to the TV shows they watch at night while at work. I don't think that this means anyone has a problem - it just means they enjoy their leisure time.

3. Have you lied to friends and family members to conceal extent of your online gaming?
    Not once. I'm very up front with my gaming time.

4. Do you feel restless or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop online gaming?
    Nope.

5. Have you made repeated unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back, or stop online gaming?
    No - my attempt to cut down on my game time was very successful.

6. Do you use gaming as a way of escaping from problems or relieve feelings of helplessness, guilt, anxiety, or depression?
    Of course. Same goes for anyone and the hobby they enjoy. A lot of things people do as a hobby are escape hatches or pressure valves.

7.Have you jeopardized or lost a significant relationship, or even risked your marriage because of your online gaming habit?
    Nope.

8. Have you jeopardized a job, educational, or career opportunity because of your online gaming habit?
    Nope.

Guess I'm not addicted.
    And for the record, I thought Lorien's post was funny as hell. Laughter is always a good thing. I'd have +Reped him, but I need to spread it around more.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

(edit) could care less

Default Helpful websites

I have been doing some research into this so that I can be proactive and better recognize when my gaming starts to affect life. These two websites were quite helpful to me, and they may be to others as well.

Online Gamers Anonymous
    http://www.olganon.org

Gamer Widow
    http://gamerwidow.com
    Characters on Sarlona: Rydian, Eiara, Monari, Xaedra, Mysidian, Limberlost, and Zenerated

Quote Originally Posted by dasein18 View Post
    No. Cant fit any more gaming on my day

Yes

Yes

Never tried cutting down.

Nope. Never tried.

Um.... Yes, i think

Risked getting married because of gaming? Ouch, thats awful. I wish my sincere condolences to anyone who did this, worse punishment couldnt exist.

Well, i think im completely risk free.
    Editing everything i post, since day 1. Things make much more sense inside my head.

Nope.

Not always - if I'm doing something boring then yes, but if I'm hanging out with fun people I might mention my characters a few times and then the conversation moves to something else interesting.

Nope.

Sometimes, especially if I'm doing something boring I don't want to do anyway.

Nope, every time I've needed to pay attention to RL I've successfully cut back. Although I might put off doing laundry if I see a good VON group up.

Yes, I use it as a therapeutic technique. Killing mobs and completing quests is a great stress reliever, especially in a good party!

Nope.

Nope.

Verdict: Obsessed, yes. Addicted, nope.
    Last edited by Irinis; 04-15-2010 at 02:53 PM.
    Please split the class forums into REAL subcategories this is a jumbled mess.

Last edited by dasein18; 04-15-2010 at 05:14 PM.

(edit)

Yes. In fact, I often find myself compelled to play even though I know I'm not enjoying myself at all.

Yes. Dreams. Walking the dog. Sex (seriously)

Yes. Happens a lot.

Yes.

Yes. Currently trying to cut back now. That's why I'm on these here forums.

Yes.

Not yet. But jeopardize is a loose word. Could be a yes here. I definitely neglected some relationships.

No. When I have a task, I can get it done. The problem comes when there is no set task in front of me...

Sheesh. That looks bad. OP, you are not alone. DDO with it's complexity is a compelling game. It's also beautiful and fun. I would like to be able to make it a reasonable part of my life. Not sure I can. I let myself get deep into it during the winter. Now that spring is here I'm trying to cut back significantly. Sorry guildies.