Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Exclamation Offer Wall Update

Turbine’s slogan is “Powered by Our Fans." That means more than just words to us. It’s a promise. We pride ourselves on listening closely to you, our players, and working with you to do what’s right.

Turbine is continually looking for ways to stretch the boundaries of pricing and commerce models in our games. That’s the kind of thinking that led to Founder’s pricing in LOTRO and the launch of Free-to-Play in DDO. We’re always focused on providing the best possible value to the widest group of players, but not if it compromises our relationship with our fans.

Recently, we opened an Offer Wall with a selection of ads that got a strong negative response. There were also technical issues that raised valid questions about security. Overall it was a poor user experience that was not up to our standards, and for this we apologize.

Based on your feedback, we’re stepping away from the ‘Offer’ category for now. We’ll keep exploring alternate ways for players who want points to get them. We’ll also continue to innovate in pricing and accessibility because that’s who we are. As of today, the Offer Wall is coming down. We’ll collect all the feedback we’ve received over the last few days and will use it to guide future decisions.

Finally, there was a lot of speculation about how information such as your username or e-mail address was being used by our commerce partners. Ultimately we chose to pass the e-mail address to our commerce partners in the URL to facilitate e-mailing receipts to players. It went no further than that. Neither PlaySpan nor Super Rewards passed the information on. It was stored in the user database only and not transmitted to any of the companies who advertised via Super Rewards. Players who visited the page did not expose any new information to PlaySpan (our in-game store provider) that they did not already have.

Even though this implementation did not constitute a technical breach of our privacy policy, we certainly understand the concerns that have been communicated to us and how seriously players take their privacy. As a result, the Super Rewards team has already removed the e-mail addresses from their user database. If we decide to return to the Offer category in the future we will certainly work with our partners to implement a better system than the one we tried this week.

Thanks to everyone for your patience as we worked through this. We very much appreciate your support and candid feedback!
    Last edited by Patience; 04-14-2010 at 07:53 PM.

witty comment about your mother goes here

yay!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWhofan View Post
    DDDDDddddddDDDOOOOOOOooooOOOODOOOOOOMMMMMMmmmmmMMM MM!!!111!!!!!1!

Powered by Our Fans? Really?

You mean Powered by Our *Scams*?

Nice move!

Good to know that our opinion still count
    TrooperRJ / Ironhell / Dreamhealer / Charlotee /Abgail / Halibaba /Helloween / Sepulturaa / xSabotagex / Primalfear / AcesHigh / Megadethx / Gammaray / Mercyfull fate / / BlindGardian / / Avantasiax ___________ Mitis Mors - Thelanis

Thank you.

Thank you Marketroid! This is great news.
    Sylvursoul - Half-Elven Favored Soul of the 22nd Circle
    Gharris Sylvurwolf - Half-Elven Druid of the 20th Season
    Sylvurbeard - Scruffy-looking Dwarven Fighter of 21 Seasons

Thank you folks.

R

Gweater Dwagonmark of Fwiends (2009) (2010) Girlbrush's Avatar

Thank you for listening to the fans.

I am still skeptical but this at least a first step.
    Quote Originally Posted by DelScorcho View Post
    The loot gods are jerks.
    Coming Soon!

Bring back the WDA!

First, thank you for taking it down and for acknowledging the screw up.

Second...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marketroid View Post
    Finally, there was a lot of speculation about how information such as your username or e-mail address was being used by our commerce partners.
    I'm a little disappointed that you're not addressing WHY you sent our billing/game usernames to SuperRewards, though. The fact that you gave them out at all is a severe security breach even if they don't do anything with the data and I can't see how it was needed.
    Last edited by Gol; 04-14-2010 at 12:06 PM.

Thumbs up

Very nice.

My thanks to you and everyone for working to clear that up.
    "The sword itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with swords."

Takes stones to admit when you are wrong.

Community...FTW
    “If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.”

Thumbs up

Thank you. This was the right move.
    Proud Officer and Member of the Exploration Society Thelanis Server
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle
    *Dunkurk Qirva Donnar Zoraida Dolvar Zorg Salii Smally Kungfugee Kruknud Smully Warfrog*

Anyone notice when they locked the Offer Wall Update – 4/13/2010 thread that four full pages of replies disappered? It was 22 pages now it's only 18.

Senior Manager
    Online Community Relations
    Turbine, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by msheaf1 View Post
    Anyone notice when they locked the Offer Wall Update – 4/13/2010 thread that four full pages of replies disappered? It was 22 pages now it's only 18.
    I locked the thread and didn't delete any posts from it.

Faith restored. Thank you turbine. This has in fact given me more trust than the initial detrust. I hope all things go better for the company and may we focus on the community that actually does the supporting to the game, and not bring in other outside sources that have alternative interests that take advantage of the DDO community.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Did not constitute a "technical" breach of privacy policy? Really?

Within your EULA, you force the player base to accept before they can even log in, this EULA states very explicitly, do not share your account information with anyone. That includes username, email and the rest of the information required to create an account to play DDO. So if we cannot share it even within households, do not even deny because I have seen people banned for 3 days from game because of it, how does giving account names and account emails differ? Just because it's Turbine selling it to someone else, instead of players?

Also, just to see if this is clear, even before the offer wall was implimented, this information was already sold to these companies, prior to our knowledge?
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

Thanks for the response it is appreciated.

At the end of the day it is up to me to choose whether or not to beleive what you say is true about them removing our emails and that no other information was transmitted. Gol did not get to complete his testing so we have to take you at your word.

My only problem is I had trusted you in the first place and this happened. Even if the information really was not transmitted Turbine decided to partner with a company that has an extremly bad reputation and as you can tell from the feedback your fans that apparently power your decisions knew they were bad but yet you chose to partner with them.

I think that is really what is bugging me the most.

Anyway thank you again for taking it down and at least doing something about it this is a step forward.
    And what of the bird?

Alts: Loknaar, Loknnar, Loqnar, Grafenberg Spot, Ddevkiller, Taarnah, Uhluhtc

WikiGnome

Well done and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gol View Post
    This is most disappointing that you degrade concrete evidence of username passing to "speculation". What they did with it IS IRRELEVANT. The fact that you gave them our DDO billing/game usernames, and refuse to acknowledge it, is highly insulting to me, personally, having seen it with my own eyes and no less than a slap in the face to everybody else who visited the offer wall.
    He did acknowledge that he transmitted our emails ("we chose to pass the e-mail address to our commerce partners in the URL to facilitate e-mailing receipts to players"). What he said was speculation was "about how information such as [our] username or e-mail address was being used by [their] commerce partners." If you want to criticize them, I certainly won't stop you but focus on what they did not already acknowledge.
    Last edited by Borror0; 04-14-2010 at 12:04 PM.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast