Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Whoa, my parent's home is worth more than $1,000,000?

I should let them know
    * Sohryu * (Life #25: 13 BRD / 1 FTR / 1 ROG)
    Completionist // Epic Completionist // Triple Iconic Completionist
    Ravensguard (200) - Now in Flower Sniffer Lavender

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    WAIT! I FOUND SOMETHING!

It's my parent's PO box! If you search for my dad, you find me as listed living in the PO box. As a parent? But I have no kids? I'm a parent to my parents??! And I live at the post office! No wonder it's considered "low income". Those things are tiny
    So they stuff you in the PO Box or you stuff them in the PO Box at bed time?
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

Cool my home is worth a LOT more than I thought.

My wife apparently has not lived there as long as I have however.... and neither of us have lived there as long as we actually have....

Somewhat accurate with public data records, and most things you might be more sensitive about appear to be purchase only, which means someone specifically seeking you out could pay for it, but random individuals just browsing the web are unlikely to pony up bucks on random people, so somewhat less worried about that.

Whatever...
    Sarlona - Stormreach Requisition Company (SRC):Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8; Hennako-Human Cleric20; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15;more

I live in a 1mil + house without central heat lol

Quote Originally Posted by picaisfun View Post
    I live in a 1mil + house without central heat lol
    I think a LOT of people own that same home from what I saw....
    Sarlona - Stormreach Requisition Company (SRC):Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8; Hennako-Human Cleric20; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15;more

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aspenor View Post
    If you've got the time, surf your way on over to spokeo.com. Type your name into the search field, see if you show up in your place of residence, then take a look at your profile. I think you'll be shocked.

This is an internet site that runs macro programs to search the internet for information about everybody it can find. If you've done a lot on the internet, you're likely on it.

I found myself at two locations, my current and previous residence. If you've moved at all, you could be found in more than one place. You should check out all your states of residence just to be sure.

You can remove yourself from the system. The "Privacy" link (the one in gnat-sized letters at the bottom) allows this. Copy the URL of your profiles, give a dummy e-mail account, wait a minute and log in to the dummy account. They will have sent you e-mails for each profile you requested to be removed, activate the removal link. I did this and my profiles were removed.

Just an FYI. This site was a shock to me and I think you'll be shocked at the amount of information that can be gathered fairly easily.
    More to this: often times, it is easier to find someone using their userid. People tend to use the same userids over and over.

For example, Aspenor registered on the alternate forum with a username that was not "Aspenor", then challenged us to figure out who it was. So I did some google searches with his username and not only found out that the person was Aspenor, but also found out his name, where he lives, what games he has played, and an open photobucket account.

All in 5 minutes.

If you are online, you need to either understand that you are NOT anonymous unless you are very, very careful. The vast majority of people don't even know what precautions to take to remain anonymous.

Online anonymity is a myth.
    DDOVAULT.COM
    Freedom from Oppression!

The site seems to target homeowners the most.
    We have the most static and publicly available information...unfortunately. Ever since I bought a house, my junk mail tripled more credit card and loan offers than I can shake a stick at.
    “If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.”

I keep seeing people freak out about this site, and I'm not sure why. All of the information is public and knowable. Information is valuable, and thus it will be collected, compiled, and sold to the highest bidder.

As others have said, GIS makes home information available over the internet. So it is easy to see how much someone paid for their home/condo, and you can extrapolate their rough income from there.

Credit card companies store your purchase information. Amazon has a fairly sizable team in their company that does nothing but work on data mining tools and techniques. Search engines compile results by GeoIP.

Given the computing power available combined with the amount of information that people give away for free, your best bet is to live your life like an open book.

Shutting down this site doesn't help. It addresses the symptom but does nothing to actually protect or conceal your information from any determined source.

To quote the very old adage "Security through obscurity is no security at all."
    You may know me as: Gannot, Gonnet, Gunnet, Ginnet, Gaxxat, Gennot, Gannut, Gxnnxt, Horseface, Izzayhay, Pailmaster, Artifactual, Gynnet and/or Barred. What? I like alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Montrose View Post
    I keep seeing people freak out about this site, and I'm not sure why. All of the information is public and knowable. Information is valuable, and thus it will be collected, compiled, and sold to the highest bidder.

Simple, most people do not actually realize how little privacy they have and how much of their personal information is freely available. being shocked out of ignorance hurts...
    “If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.”

I found it amusing to see the desolate wilderness where my cellphone resides....

Apparently I live in 19 of our 50 states, with multiple homes in a few. Depending on the location I have 0-4 children. No wonder I'm so damn tired.

My husband on the other hand (well one of them since I have so many evidently) is the only one of him out there, lives at a very old address and is a ghost because there is no information on him available.

Actually, I seem to not exist at all either. Sooooo....am I a dream? Maybe an avatar in sim game? So I'm someone else's creation being controlled from a keyboard?
    I think my non-existent head hurts now.
    aka ~The Jelly Bean Slinger

Then darkness would eat me. Cold would devour me.
    I would die naked beneath a blackthorn, keening for the missing moon.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    Cool I aged 25 years, and *snickers* so did my wife.

Wait till I get home and tell her!
    I hear tell kids do that to a person.

Hm, I'm still living at my childhood home and am apparently a Virgo not a Libra. Also I live at my childhood home with my parents and grandmother. Me, my two parents and my grandmother apparently adds up to 5 people.

OMG! I just heard about companies that distribute your name, phone number and HOME ADDRESS to millions of people every year! Some company called White Pages/Yellow Pages...

Just being cranky. It's a serious issue.

“Privacy is dead, deal with it,” Sun MicroSystems CEO Scott McNeal
    DDOcast - A weekly podcast about DDO!
    Characters: Sarlona: Mockduck (Cleric): Beefheart (Fighter): Mockduk (Ranger/Rogue): Monkduck (Monk): Veiovis (Fvs/Rog) Guild: Mockduck (Rogue) Cannith: Mockduck (Fvs/Rogue) Twitter Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Impatiens View Post
    Hm, I'm still living at my childhood home and am apparently a Virgo not a Libra. Also I live at my childhood home with my parents and grandmother. Me, my two parents and my grandmother apparently adds up to 5 people.
    Your census dollars, hard at work.
    "Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking."
    Officer of Aces over Kings, Argonesson - Elmo, Marin, Ganelon, Sevollas, Seda, Camerone, Amdr, Ganelonn, Fozzie, Misspiggy

If you've got the time, surf your way on over to spokeo.com. Type your name into the search field, see if you show up in your place of residence, then take a look at your profile. I think you'll be shocked.

This is an internet site that runs macro programs to search the internet for information about everybody it can find. If you've done a lot on the internet, you're likely on it.

I found myself at two locations, my current and previous residence. If you've moved at all, you could be found in more than one place. You should check out all your states of residence just to be sure.

You can remove yourself from the system. The "Privacy" link (the one in gnat-sized letters at the bottom) allows this. Copy the URL of your profiles, give a dummy e-mail account, wait a minute and log in to the dummy account. They will have sent you e-mails for each profile you requested to be removed, activate the removal link. I did this and my profiles were removed.

Just an FYI. This site was a shock to me and I think you'll be shocked at the amount of information that can be gathered fairly easily.
    I looked, they don't have me.

I don't even show up. I like this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asialee View Post
    Spisey, you are a epic item no one can match your skillzs :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    I think a full group of level 20s butt naked riding zebras should be able to beat part 1 even if the only portal DPS is said zebras kicking the portals with their hind legs as us Wisconsinites try to tip them over sideways and laugh about it afterward.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SolarDawning View Post
    I looked, they don't have me.
    Same here, I even checked my screen name(s) and phone number(s) and nothing came up for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12