Default Enervation Guard on Epics (after update 4)

hi
    Does anyone who runs epics regularly with an enervation guard item on noticed any difference after update 4?
    Release notes said that the epic mobs now recover from negative levels much faster. How does that affect the effectiveness of those guards ? Is it still worth it crafting one of those on a wf fbIII barbarian?
    * Flaws - Flawranga - Flawless - Godlike - Think Tank - Doppelganger *

Neg levels always regenerated somewhat fast on epic mode, they just changed the ward description.

As far as I know negative levels seem to last between 12 to 18 seconds each. It's not the easiest thing to test though so if anyone knows actual #s please speak up

edit: Apparently I'm more wrong than I thought! Scroll down to see others' observations
    Last edited by Crazyfruit; 04-15-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Did a little bit of testing with regular enervate spell... Seems like the negative levels are lasting about 3~4 seconds/each, on epic mobs.
    Not sure if that is enough time for the enervate guard to actually matter on epic content.

Can anyone help with more insights?

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderTank View Post
    Did a little bit of testing with regular enervate spell... Seems like the negative levels are lasting about 3~4 seconds/each, on epic mobs.
    Not sure if that is enough time for the enervate guard to actually matter on epic content.

Can anyone help with more insights?
    How did you test that?

I use an enervation guard regularly on epic. It works fine. Neg lvls provide massive decreases to total hp and saves on epic.

Enervate guard + stunning blow without a weighted weapon.. Almost always lands.

Whater it matters or not really depends on what you do after it procs. Stunning blow takes no time at all to activate.. Nor does flesh to stone, or mass hold monster.

If your simply going dps and otherwise can't kill the monster within the next 4-16 seconds, perhaps not.

@Shade
    We punched down the monter HP a bit, and enervate him. Then started to count how many times does the HP pool moved, and how many seconds beetwen each level regen..
    Not a 100% acuraccy method for sure.
    The plan is to work towards autocrits mostly. So yeah.. the blindness imunity/15 exc. fire res/enervate guard will be my next item.

I tought that the changes might have affected it. But now i see that it doesnt really matter. The mob is getting stunned or killed before the debuffs expire anyway.

Thx for the reply shade.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderTank View Post
    @Shade
    We punched down the monter HP a bit, and enervate him. Then started to count how many times does the HP pool moved, and how many seconds beetwen each level regen..
    Not a 100% acuraccy method for sure.
    The plan is to work towards autocrits mostly. So yeah.. the blindness imunity/15 exc. fire res/enervate guard will be my next item.

I tought that the changes might have affected it. But now i see that it doesnt really matter. The mob is getting stunned or killed before the debuffs expire anyway.

Thx for the reply shade.
    Yep. np.

My item is the same as your planning.

However after running the newest epics.. I found there saves so laughable bad that I never needed the guard to stun them.. So I actaully crafted up a earthgrab gurad cloak to swap in for those low-save epics, and it works a little better.

Just depends on the quests tho as to what I use:
    Low saves = earthgrab, autocrit and dead as they rarely save
    high reflex/fort saves = enervate, drop the saves, drop a stunning blow or help the caster hold them and take them down.

Course undead-type qusts, earthgrab also rocks.. As enemies are otherwise immune to enervate, but can be earthgrabbed.. Tho in wizking it has a disadvantage of losing my blindness/diseases immunity and dealing with the mummy rot (minor issue )

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyfruit
    As far as I know negative levels seem to last between 12 to 18 seconds each. It's not the easiest thing to test though so if anyone knows actual #s please speak up
    Last I checked around update #3 the negative levels were cured at the rate of 1 level per 3 seconds. It is fairly easy to test on a critter that isn't being damaged. Just hit it with enervation/energy drain and count how long before it gets a bump down in HP from recovering its maximum HP total.