Default Need some help with a Green Steel weapon

I went to this site http://perfectweb.org/ddo/crafting/base_crafting.php to figure what i need for making an Aspect of Earth II Long Bow.

Tier 1: Acid
    Tier 2: Acid Burst
    Tier 2 Bonus effect: Aspect of earth

Tier 3: either the +4 AC or the +2 exceptional Con
    Tier 3 second shard: stays blank
    Tier 3 bonus effect: Aspect of earth II

so a few quick questions i have are 1. is the tier 3 second shard line supposed to be blank? which would you guys think is better for the Tier 3 effect i'm open for suggestions on it.

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

The second T3 can not be blank. I know there are some problems with that planner and the guy who wrote it no longer plays/updates it. You might want to check another. Some good options are:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=137347
    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Crafting
    Last edited by Lorien_the_First_One; 03-27-2010 at 08:27 AM.

thanks for the links

Community Member IgorHackNSlasher's Avatar

As you are doing earth/earth /earth, you don't/can't use a 2nd tier 3 shard. Yes it should be blank. You only need a double shard for tier 3 if you are making your 1st and 2nd tiers different elements, i.e. earth/positive, then you would need a t3 earth and t3 positive to make you t3 shard

So how does the second shard work? You make to imblued shards, and then cmbine those two with the weapon and a hight energy cell and that will give you a tier 3 with 2 effects?

so the ingredients and instructions from the link in my OP are correct then? i really dont wanna grind ingredients then find out its wrong/incomplete/

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IgorHackNSlasher View Post
    As you are doing earth/earth /earth, you don't/can't use a 2nd tier 3 shard. Yes it should be blank. You only need a double shard for tier 3 if you are making your 1st and 2nd tiers different elements, i.e. earth/positive, then you would need a t3 earth and t3 positive to make you t3 shard
    Wow it must be early in the morning...I just noticed "blank T3" and not the rest of the recipie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_kronos View Post
    So how does the second shard work? You make to imblued shards, and then cmbine those two with the weapon and a hight energy cell and that will give you a tier 3 with 2 effects?
    It's more complicated that that. Certain combinations of T1 & T2 shards can allow you to create a T3 "supershard" that is made up of 2 T3 shards. Only one of the T3 shard effects will work, but you get a bonus effect for the combination. I suggest you read the DDO crafting link above to get a good idea on what you can do with greensteel at each teir. (Bonuses for specific combos happen after both T2 & T3)

Quote Originally Posted by Edyit76 View Post
    I went to this site http://perfectweb.org/ddo/crafting/base_crafting.php to figure what i need for making an Aspect of Earth II Long Bow.

Tier 1: Acid
    Tier 2: Acid Burst
    Tier 2 Bonus effect: Aspect of earth

Tier 3: either the +4 AC or the +2 exceptional Con
    Tier 3 second shard: stays blank
    Tier 3 bonus effect: Aspect of earth II

so a few quick questions i have are 1. is the tier 3 second shard line supposed to be blank? which would you guys think is better for the Tier 3 effect i'm open for suggestions on it.
    I must ask why your first greensteel item is going to be

A) A bow
    B) Fairly weak
    C) Tier 3

But that's besides the point.

In a nutshell, what you have there is a single-focus greensteel item, which is created by upgrading the greensteel item three times with the same focus (earth, in this case). To get a mixed focus item (which uses the "Tier 3 Second Shard" slot), you need your first and second upgrades to be of a different focus type (among other things). The easiest way to do so is to plan backwards, first taking your tier 3 bonus effect, then your tier 3 effect, then determining what kind of tier 1 and tier 2 effects you can take.

Once you've upgraded the first and second tiers onto the greensteel item, you'll need to make a double-imbued tier 3 shard, which the planner provide instructions for.

The most popular greensteel items would be Mineral II and Lightning II items (Radiance II is favored by rogues, and Concordant Opposition HP items are another). The Mineral II bonus effect makes a weapon metalline, among other things, allowing it to bypass a lot of DR, while the Lightning IIs add a small chance for a powerful lightning bolt to occur that deals 500-600 or so damage. Most builds will go mineral II first and foremost, by adding holy (tier 1), acid burst (tier 2), and acid blast/ex Con +2 (tier 3).

while the Lightning IIs add a small chance for a powerful lightning bolt to occur that deals 500-600 or so damage
    Far more important than the thunderbolt (which only happens on like 2% of hits), is that devils have immunity or heavy resistance to fire, cold, and acid. They have little to no electricity resistance, so whatever shock portion you put onto a lightning weapon will actually hit them and do damage. Plus, since it is a positive+quasi-element, it will have Holy or something else to provide /Good for bypassing DR.

That's why people do Lightning II.

i'm an AA i have a silver bow with house D silver arrows that i pop out for a Boss beater with the slaying imbue it works pretty darn well (500 on a 20) i'm looking to make a more general purpose bow and the earth grab looks like it'll be fun so thats why a bow is my choice.

I've heard nice things about a Lightning II bow. Because you get a chance for the lightning bolt super-strike on each hit you make, throwing a zillion arrows at a boss becomes quite a lot of fun when you have the enormous number of attacks that come from Manyshot.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

You can compare to the recipe for a typical "all-acid" earthgrab bow here. It's probably the same.
    I would advise against +4 AC on your tier 3, doubt it's going to help you.
    Lightning Strike will definitely out-DPS your Silver Bow, but earthgrab can be fun on trash mob too.