Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 3x Earth or 3x Pos Bow: Which is better?

So I've been playing my arcane archer a lot lately and it's actually been pretty fun; an interesting change of pace for someone who's used to just blasting things out of the way with spells or otherwise slicing/punching my way through things

Anyway, now that she's getting close to Shroud level I've been thinking about crafting. Obviously I'd love to make a Lightning Strike, but I'd like to have something else good to use in the interim, something cheaper (read: single shard). My first thought was to make a Triple Positive longbow and use silver arrows with it; however here on the forums I've heard people talk about Triple Earth bows. They sound pretty handy; Earthgrab and Earth Elemental clickies.

So which is better? And if both are nice, which should I craft first? Keep in mind I not only run Shroud/ToD/VoD/DQ (devils/evil outsiders) but also Necropolis/Abbot (undead).
    * Sohryu * (Life #25: 13 BRD / 1 FTR / 1 ROG)
    Completionist // Epic Completionist // Triple Iconic Completionist
    Ravensguard (200) - Now in Flower Sniffer Lavender

I don't know which is actually better, but i do know that manyshotting an earthgrabbed enemy sounds more fun than possibly hitting a mob with disruption.
    READ ME NEW PLAYERS!!!
    Aeneas - Boosterseat - Eulogy - Diminutive - Moths

It's not really for the Greater Disruption, more for the Holy damage combined with the Silver Arrows...I guess as kind of an upgraded Silver Longbow.

Earth.

Use the silver bow as ur pitfiend bow.

Something about using a level 6 bow on a raid boss seems somehow..unsatisfying

I'd agree with Shade on this one. The Silver Longbow is pretty close in terms of DPS to a triple Pos bow (greater crit range makes up a little for lacking the additional dice and enhancement), whereas the Earthgrab bow can do some nifty things (and works in epic).

That said, it seems to me like holding out for a Lightning II would be more worthwhile since using 12 of your larges to make one of these will only further delay access to the 24 needed for the Lightning Strike.

Ultimately, I think it depends on what you run and how you run it. If you want better DPS for just about everything, hold out for Lightning II and use Silver Longbow in the interim. If you want to mix in some CC and are planning on making 2 bows anyway, then make the Earthgrab (either now or after Lightning II).
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

EEE does..
    *acid damage
    *earth grab
    *2 clicks of a summon elemental.
    - must use silver arrows to beat standard devil DR or cold iron arrows for standard demon. You can not beat their DR when facing non standard devils or demons.

PPP does
    * good damage which will hit almost all mobs in the game.
    * 1 click of raise dead. (useful for non UMD or non good people who can't use ring of the ancestor)
    * acts as your disruption weapon. (yes, disruption per standard is better however.)
    * use silver/cold iron arrows to beat any devil/demon dr.

Do you have improved crit? If you do, you may want to go the route Shade suggested as the "Blast" aspects only happen on 20s.

If you have a good base damage number the silver bow is fairly close to a pos*3 bow. And a holy of greater evil outsider bane will fare you better then the pos*3 bow.

Earth 3 is fun, but don't bother unless you have improved precise shot (just in case your AA is a bowbarian).
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

She will be pure ranger, so she does have Improved Precise Shot (which is so fun with a Paralyzing bow, BTW ). Also has Improved Crit: Ranged.

So Holy of GEOB is better than Triple Pos? And Triple Earth will work on the raid bosses I listed (Harry, Sally, Horoth, Epic Lailat/Velah, Abbot)?

Default Its the arrow + thing man!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirea View Post
    Something about using a level 6 bow on a raid boss seems somehow..unsatisfying
    The way arrows and bows interact has always seemed a bit silly to me. I mean a +1 bow is always the pinnacle of success as soon as you get enough +5 ammo. What? But yeah so +3 silver arrows and Silver Longbow. Think of the Crit range. There are several threads that stat compare on the two and Triple positive is ahead of a silver longbow by like 1 point of damage or something silly. Spare the shards and Use the silver longbow which typing the name twice and looking at it seems almost how it was intended from the begining?
    --Oz

Fernian by birth Ghallandan til Death!
    Southern Tenant Farmers Union Member by choice

She will be pure ranger, so she does have Improved Precise Shot (which is so fun with a Paralyzing bow, BTW ). Also has Improved Crit: Ranged.

So Holy of GEOB is better than Triple Pos? And Triple Earth will work on the raid bosses I listed (Harry, Sally, Horoth, Epic Lailat/Velah, Abbot)?
    Yes, and all of the devils/demons are resistant to acid damage so the Pos3 will beat out the Earth3 bow.

Pos3 is one of the best general damage single shard bows in the game because of the range of mobs it will affect. It will also save you a slot by not having to carry a disruption weapon anymore, the effects land at about the same rate in level appropriate content and in stuff below your level the additional damage will work faster most of the time.

Earth3 is one of the best general trash mob bows due to typical low acid resistance (devils and demons excluded) and the earth grab ability.

Either way you go you will likely be happy. I recomend Pos3, Lighting 2, Earth3, depending on how much grinding you want to do. If you have a silver bow or holy GEOB I would switch Pos3 and Earth3 around.
    970 sp and counting
    Help Fix Ranged Combat for Everyone. Come help complete the DDO Wiki

The Earthgrab bow will not bypass DR of any of the raid bosses after Velah (maybe titan), and obviously the grab won't work on any red names. Also, many of the endgame bosses have some acid resist.

Holy of GEOB will definitely be better DPS than 3x Pos, especially if you can get one with a high plus or big arrows. Greater banes with a good prefix are the best ranged DPS in almost every case--greensteel bows just don't offer much improvement over normal bows.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

On Harry, Sally, Horoth, Epic Lailat you are best off with your holy of GEOB with silver or cold iron arrows where appropriate. Some have resistances to acid damage and are of course immune to the grab proc.

Velah it turns out is a case where you really want to get a holy of greater dragon bane and upgrade it with the icy burst ritual (as she takes full damage from cold). That will beat out any other bow I can think of for dps without considering epic or dual shard bows (which I actually think it will beat out also versus her if I remember the math correctly).

Abbot your triple earth will work okay on during many shot, but you really should be meleeing him in between with some bludgeoning weapons for max dps.

Really the earth*3 bow is good because it is a good general use bow and works very well versus trash mobs.

Hope this helps.

Well, I have a lot to consider, that's for sure Thanks for the input, guys.

On a slightly related note, how does the Epic Thornlord measure up? I know it has a great base damage rating.

And Triple Earth will work on the raid bosses I listed (Harry, Sally, Horoth, Epic Lailat/Velah, Abbot)?
    Triple Earth is worthless on Harry, Sally, Horoth, Lailat...

Fun weapon for trash though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

i actually would not recommend ether of those bows, i would make a LIT II bow

shock goodburst shockblast lightning strike.

this bow will bypass DR on demon queen and pit fiend/horned devil providing that you use silver arrows/cold iron arrows, and its somehow strangely satisfying when you get that lucky lightning arrow that lined up half a dozen mobs with improved precise shot.
    Khyber. Shanayney TR wiz. Sahanna 20 Cleric. ossifer of MADM

Well, I have a lot to consider, that's for sure Thanks for the input, guys.

On a slightly related note, how does the Epic Thornlord measure up? I know it has a great base damage rating.
    There was a thread which had a dps breakdown on epic thornlord and some other bows a while back. Maybe in the rangers section?

Cool

I would never play a ranger cause even with deatharrows I think they suxxx, but if I would play such a boring class:

I would craft Triple Pos Bow first and for other mobs: Holy, Lightning, Lightning (lightning strike)
    Founder of Epic failure
    Evasion Mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Ed7 View Post
    Yes, I would say that guild level is some indicater of a guilds "top" ranking.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

I definitely wouldn't recommend a triple pos, as it'll just delay your lightning strike. Double pos is enough (not sure how it compares to Silver Bow though).

Stick with the Silverbow until you can craft Lightning II. The Silverbow's crit-range makes it rock (unless you have an STR of 12). I think a triple-positive won't give you much benefit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast