Default Help in the Subterrane

I have some questions about the Subterrane, and I haven't been able to find answers elsewhere. I figured a couple of people here might have the answers I'm seeking.

First, the Subterrane did not exist back in my day so I know little about what to expect there. The few times I have ventured into its depths (from the Marketplace entrance) I get my butt handed to me very quickly. I am a monk and I generally duo with a friend who plays a Fav. Soul. Most buffs he cast get dispelled rather quickly once we enter combat. My question is: What is the best tactic for combat down there? What buffs/spells help? I haven't had a problem dealing damage, but are there any specific weapon types we should be using, or bring with us?

Secondly, as I said, I am a monk and I am attempting to get the Icy Raiment. I have looked at maps of the zone and get a little confused about the F and F'. I'm assuming I have to activate a rune and make a portal. I've clicked runes before and baddies start pouring out of the created portal. Where exactly is the rune/portal that takes you to Garamol? top, bottom, middle tier of that big room? Also, when is the portal able to be used? After I kill all the baddies that spawn I would assume.

Any help would be much appreciated.

its a raidzone and a hard one too, go down with a full party, then you can manage it

to get to gargamel, just follow the G

there are 3 types of hovering runes:

..XXX
    ..XXX
    GXXX

and

XXX
    XXX
    XXXG

and

XXX
    XXX
    XXX

on the first, you turn left, on the second you turn right, on the third you go straight. then youll find a rune and a portal, behidn that portal is he
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    *insert axe*
    o o

It's the runes on walls/floor which debuff you, avoid them and you should be able to keep your buffs.

This should help with the Garamol chest: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=208969
    Southern Tenant Farmers Union - Ghallanda
    Noret/Hultor/Deol/Domtro/Tamtro/Kintro/Lantwo/Sontro/Montro/Kantro

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mirra_of_the_Long_D View Post
    First, the Subterrane did not exist back in my day so I know little about what to expect there. The few times I have ventured into its depths (from the Marketplace entrance) I get my butt handed to me very quickly.
    There's a design flaw where the Subterane doesn't scale the difficulty down for smaller groups, unlike every other explorer area. That is a side effect of how it allows 12 players to enter at once (so they can travel to raids).

I am a monk and I generally duo with a friend who plays a Fav. Soul. Most buffs he cast get dispelled rather quickly once we enter combat.
    Most of the dispelling comes from various glowing traps in the terrain, which you can stay away from.

My question is: What is the best tactic for combat down there? What buffs/spells help? I haven't had a problem dealing damage, but are there any specific weapon types we should be using, or bring with us?
    A monk shouldn't be at too much risk down there. The first few monsters encountered are Living Spells, and they can be highly damaging. But there is actually no need to fight them to reach any loot. You can run past, and also notice that Living Spells will attack other monsters as well. If you do kill the Living Spells, note that they'll tend to respawn, which interferes with the otherwise-useful technique of recalling to tavern whenever you get low. (Skeletons guarding that first door also respawn)

Sometimes evasion characters will kill Living Spells before their teammates come through. A strength-damage weapon might help for that.

The skeletons have a variety of energy spells (that you should mostly Evasion), plus sometimes Inflict Wounds (against which Deathward can be used). Beholders and flensers should be familiar to you.

Where exactly is the rune/portal that takes you to Garamol? top, bottom, middle tier of that big room?
    It is at one of a few random places. There are indicators on which path will go there in the form of extra symbols attached to the right or left side of the standard blocks of gibberish text. Follow the direction with the extra symbol sticking out.

Talking Thanks

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the quick AND helpful responses. I hadn't realized this was a raid adventure zone. Now I don't feel so bad for for all those deaths I endured.

Community Member IgorHackNSlasher's Avatar

[QUOTE=Angelus_dead;2816269]There's a design flaw where the Subterane doesn't scale the difficulty down for smaller groups, unlike every other explorer area. That is a side effect of how it allows 12 players to enter at once (so they can travel to raids).

This is not a design flaw, its a raid area and raid areas do NOT scale. A full party of 12 is you best bet, it usually only takes a few mins to fill up a skelli run and you can run 3-4 in half an hour

Also, to quote Indiana Jones -

"Stay out of the light".

Alot of that sunshine coming through into the subterraene is a dispelling trap. If it's a floating bunch of runes or a shaft of sunlight, don't go through it. Walk around it as much as possible.
    "Funny 'Ha-Ha, or Funny 'Uh-oh...'?
    Probably Funny 'Uh-Oh.'"
    Khyber - Mesaana, Samaeila Suncrusher

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by IgorHackNSlasher View Post
    This is not a design flaw, its a raid area and raid areas do NOT scale.
    It is a design flaw. It was a mistake for the developers to arbitrarily say that scaling does work in 6-player instances but not in 12-player ones. There is no good gameplay reason for that rule to exist.

If they feel it is somehow better for the game for raid loot to only be reasonably available to people in larger groups, then scaling also should not work in Stealer of Souls or other 6-man dungeons which contain good loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    There is no good gameplay reason for that rule to exist.
    neither is there one for scaling at all
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    *insert axe*
    o o

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    It is a design flaw. It was a mistake for the developers to arbitrarily say that scaling does work in 6-player instances but not in 12-player ones. There is no good gameplay reason for that rule to exist.

If they feel it is somehow better for the game for raid loot to only be reasonably available to people in larger groups, then scaling also should not work in Stealer of Souls or other 6-man dungeons which contain good loot.
    A_D some of us consider it a FEATURE.

And i do not think anyone hired you at Turbine to decry what is and is not a design flaw. Nor do i believe you are qualified to make such a determination. Try..."In your opinion it is a design flaw."

/The dose of reality is at a no-charge basis today.

Ah thx for this thread. I was able to make some head way solo in there with my monk ... ie not die in the first encounter. But the meteor elemental ooze thingy gets me everytime. Now I see why, a 12 man raid explorer thingy

I never knew what a 'skele' LfM was so never joined it, now I'll be sure too.
    Leader - Ωmega Syndicate [L41] guild of Khyber|Orien - www.os.rumbaar.net
    Khyber - Eldraine - Monk | Eldaline - Favored Soul | Eldnuker - Sorcerer
    █████ - Eldalorne - Wizard | Elarawr - Fighter | Eldrainge - Ranger/Rogue

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lorz View Post
    A_D some of us consider it a FEATURE.
    And do you have a reason for that?

And i do not think anyone hired you at Turbine to decry what is and is not a design flaw.
    That's true! They expect players to give feedback without compensation.

Nor do i believe you are qualified to make such a determination.
    That is incorrect.

Try..."In your opinion it is a design flaw."
    Why would I want to do that?

Then there are those of us who think it's neither a bug nor a feature, and just call the lot of you wrong.

When I'm solo clearing to VoD, I can easily tell when more people in the group show up inside, because the monsters get substantially harder. Scaling absolutely does apply to the Subterrane.