Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    That is generally a tactical error. Your arrows would be more helpful striking Arraetrikos, unless your party was exceptionally weak.
    If the player knows what they are doing, they're typically striking both at the same time. IPS means no reason to choose one over the other.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Hi,
    here is my really newbie-like question: How to target with a bow?

The experience: When i play solo its works as charm, since game automaticly choose some target in wide arc and all i have to do is left click.

However while teamplay it starting messing, since the game choose others players (no point to shoot at them), so i tried to manualy hold right click and target enemy which is rather fun (like FPS). However maybe its a hotkey to "choose next enemy" so i can just click hotkey and left click.

Double left click is not so cool, since there is a mob of teammates, and enemy dies fast.

I do not have yet Precise shot which can be essensial.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by AnsharDarkangel View Post
    The purpose of this post is to talk at length about the Pure Ranger Arcane Archer, what it excels at, where its shortcomings are, and how it functions in a group.

Soloing:
    Soloing is the strongest suit of an Arcane Archer. Area of Effect burst damage at long range with a high degree of safety, stealth, evasion, self heals, freedom of movement, and other factors contribute to making the Arcane Archer a very strong and capable solo character. My 20 Ranger Arcane Archer can solo Gianthold Tor on Normal with a Hireling (including dragons), frequently does Weapon Shipment runs in Shavarath, and can handle most quests completely solo, even quests in the Vale.

Outdoor Zones:
    Outdoor areas seem made for the Arcane Archer. The ability to stealth from rare to rare in outdoor zones and take out red named mobs with ease comes easy for Arcane Archers. Kills can be made with a high degree of safety and often kills can be made with little or no incoming damage, provided the archer is smart and plans ahead. My Arcane Archer runs all 14 rares in Shavarath solo and gets ransack on the chests weekly, sometimes even pulling +2 Tomes and other nice items on relatively short runs (20-30 Minutes depending on how many rares are up). Contrary to popular belief this has much less to do with ranged exploiting (firing at mobs that can't see you) and much more to do with high ranged burst damage via manyshot and skill at kiting. Investing in the sprint line of enhancements allows for not only fast travel between spawns but allows for area of effect herding with little or no personal risk (sprinting around a large number of monsters, drawing them together with circle strafing, and burning them down with improved precise shot and manyshot).

Kiting:
    Kiting in the wrong situation tends to aggravate other players, and 1 poorly played ranger often ruins it for the rest of us. Kiting is one thing when solo and another when in a group. When solo, kiting allows for high survivability while outputting moderate damage. When grouped, kiting allows a ranger to easily gather mobs together for Area of Effect Spells, scout ahead of a group and pull, and most importantly, serve as a ranged tank (more on this later)

Area of Effect Damage:
    Arcane archers excel at using burst damage on multiple targets at once. With skill, an Arcane Archer can kill four or more targets at once, multiplying their damage by the number of targets. With practice and a good bow an Arcane Archer can even kill two bosses at once (such as in Gianthold Tor). The more targets an Arcane Archer has in front of them, the more damage they can do. With skill, an Arcane Archer can sprint through 20+ mobs and turn mid-kite to do amazing amounts of damage (one of my favorite places to do this is at the end of Running With The Devils, in the optional hallway that's full of Barbazu).

Ranged Tanking:
    Arcane Archers excel at Ranged Tanking, but very few groups either allow them the opportunity or have ever used the strategy. An Arcane Archer can easily strafe tank the fire elemental boss in the Shroud in the Southeast corner with no support whatsoever and prep it at 5% for the boss kill order. An Arcane Archer can also employ the same strategy on the fire elemental boss again on the fight before Harry, sticking him in a corner and using evasion along with fire protection to keep him away from the group while they fill to max mana and buff to prep for the final Harry fight. An Arcane Archer can do this with no heals and without putting the group through the headache of boxing in another mob that may cleave or get free and go for the healers. In the same way an Arcane Archer can pull mobs off of squishies that get aggro in other missions and hold them in a circle strafe until the healers have a chance to catch up and the tank can regain aggro.

Damage Contribution:
    There are two ways an Arcane Archer can contribute damage in a single target boss fight. The first is simply to switch to melee weapons, the other is to make sure that aggro is seated on the tank and then to begin firing outside of melee range. Melee allows for much higher single target damage (outside of manyshot), and ranged damage allows for a steady damage contribution without the need for heals. In addition, if the party begins to wipe, the Arcane Archer can pull aggro and kite the boss while healers equalize the group. In the case of a full party wipe, depending on skill, the Arcane Archer can kite the boss and burn it down, giving the group a chance of success where there would otherwise be failure.

Crowd Control:
    In addition to kiting, snaring, crippling, circle strafing, and other tactics, the Arcane Archer can take an otherwise unmanageable fight and make it manageable. Fear Imbued Arrows with an Improved Cursespewing bow can greatly mitigate the incoming damage to a group, but should only be used in conjunction with paralyzing effects and at the direction of the party. Too many Arcane Archers will use these effects in situations that don't call for it, adding to the stigma that most ranged characters already get.

Skill Level:
    The skill level curve of an Arcane Archer can be daunting. A good or exceptional Arcane Archer can be a big asset to a group, mitigating incoming damage, adding crowd control, offhealing, burst damaging groups of smaller enemies, and otherwise contributing highly, whereas an Arcane Archer with little skill or a solo mentality can frustrate a group, get themselves killed, and otherwise perpetuate many of the problems that groups in high level content have with archers in general.

The Wizard/Sorcerer Comparison:
    A Wizard does not have the same sustained DPS as a Sorcerer over a longer series of fights because of resources. They are utility characters and can add a great deal to a party if played properly. Played improperly, they can wipe a group, pull aggro off of the tank if rushing damage, and can frustrate groups with their abilities (charm, grease, and other useful when used properly but irritating otherwise spells come to mind). In particular situations their ability to use their larger toolset becomes a party saver. Sound familiar? In my opinion, the Arcane Archer is the Wizard to the Tempest Ranger's Sorcerer. They have a wide set of tools to use but have less sustained damage potential in particular situations. There are situations you would rather have a Wizard in your party, and there are situations you would rather have a Sorcerer in your party.

Things for Arcane Archers to Remember:
    1. If you pull aggro, run to the tank. Kiting mobs away from a group trying to kill them is an easy way to get booted from a group, just as charming mobs just before they die as a spellcaster or running off to aggro new groups when your group is still fighting an old one as a meleer are equally inefficient and frustrating. Grouping is about teamwork, not showboating and certainly not your own survival at the cost of everyone else's.

2. There is a time and place for Improved Precise Shot. If you immediately start shooting at monsters the moment you see them and hit many of them with every arrow, what do you expect will happen when your group rushes in? They will go straight for you and ignore the tank, every time. Target intelligently. When appropriate, AoE, and when it's not appropriate, focus on spellcasters. They will be out of spell range for you and you will pull their attention from the group. Your evasion and Freedom of Movement will let you drop them while the group focuses on melee mobs and bosses.

3. Just because Manyshot is up doesn't mean you should open up your attacks on a boss with it. Yes, it's high burst damage. That's the problem. Let aggro get properly seated and wait for a boss to be at 75% or 50% before blowing Manyshot. You will be amazed at the change in your aggro profile.

4. When possible, take advantage of what you're good at. If nothing you're good at is useful to the group, don't be afraid to pull out two weapons and melee or even offheal. If you find a situation that will be useful to the group, don't be afraid to ask or offer.

Examples:
    "Hey, Tank, if you shield block in front of me I can take out all of those archers up top and we can save the healer some mana for the boss fight over this bridge."
    "Hey guys, let me pull the Fire Elemental to the Southeast Corner, I'll prep him at 5% and you guys can focus on the other mobs so we can get this done faster."
    "Hey, before you disarm that trap, let me run ahead and pull. Maybe we can drag them across the flame jets and save ourselves the hassle."
    "Hey, let me sprint ahead and gather them up for Firewall, I'll be back in a moment with lots of juicy targets."
    "Mind if I kite these little guys around while you guys drop the boss?"

5. Arcane Arrows and you!
    One of the biggest perks to being an Arcane Archer is that outside of Greater Bane Bows, you don't need to worry about the bonus on your bow, just look for prefixes and suffixes. With an unlimited supply of +5 Arrows that +1 Paralyzing Bow is the same as a +5 Paralyzing Bow. This will let you amass a collection of quality bows at a much cheaper cost than most are faced with when acquiring multiple weapons. Enjoy it and plan for it.

These are just my opinions, of course, and I welcome contradicting opinion and feedback. I'm just sick and tired of seeing so many complaints about Arcane Archers and even seeing them being forced out of groups for no other reason than ignorance and bias. A properly played Arcane Archer, in my opinion is an asset, not a liability, and learning how to better work as a group helps us all be better players.

-Rivenstar, 20 Ranger Arcane Archer, Khyber-
    +1

Just started and AA and this is really helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by licho View Post
    Hi,
    here is my really newbie-like question: How to target with a bow?

The experience: When i play solo its works as charm, since game automaticly choose some target in wide arc and all i have to do is left click.

However while teamplay it starting messing, since the game choose others players (no point to shoot at them), so i tried to manualy hold right click and target enemy which is rather fun (like FPS). However maybe its a hotkey to "choose next enemy" so i can just click hotkey and left click.

Double left click is not so cool, since there is a mob of teammates, and enemy dies fast.

I do not have yet Precise shot which can be essensial.

Any ideas?
    Turn off auto-targeting
    Turn off auto-attack

Tab to select target or click on target
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

are terror arrows any good? i mean PK on a vorpal hit seems nice, but how useful is it? do mobs save a lot?
    adversity is something we face every day - for a true test, give someone power

Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Click the arrow for Intro to Multiclassing
    Frugal Pack Buying Guide

are terror arrows any good? i mean PK on a vorpal hit seems nice, but how useful is it? do mobs save a lot?
    Terror arrows are... surprise surprise... situational

PK is nice when it goes off but when it doesn't, the mobs still get feared and run off so they're good for soloing and slayer areas but they're as likely to tick off a party as much as fearsome armor does
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy
    Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back.~ Cpt. Mal Reynolds
    ~Peechie Keene~ THAC0

Community Member

Pop out a para bow and use those terror arrows, enjoy.

Wink

...been a long time, but still directing new "i wanna shoot stuff" peepz here.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    Weapons Shipment is such a notoriously easy quest that to mention it has a negative impact on the impression of solo capability. I can't think of any other quest where the whole party going AFK for 10 minutes during the boss fight will still result in a victory. Mentioning New Invasion, Iron Maw, or Sins would've been more impressive.

Outdoor zones are easy for all characters (except for Subterane). I don't quite understand why someone would go ransacking Devil Battlefield, instead of running Shavarath dungeons to get a chance at boot ingredients along with the vendor trash.

That's something all rangers, monks, and rogues can do. People with Evasion don't care about damage from that fire elemental. Why even strafe?

I don't bother moving around when holding aggro on multiple epic fire elementals...

Otherwise unmanageable? Because the rest of us don't have Fear or Fearsome or Fascinate or Command?

1. NPC archers shouldn't be able to hit you regardless of anyone blocking.
    2. Any mage, cleric, or evasioner character can do that.
    3. Anyone with feet can do that.
    4. Good mages can pull their own aggro into firewalls.
    5. Anyone with a ranged attack and feet can do that.

Your position could be more convincing if you'd mention some other things you had compared it against. For example, did you try playing a Tempest Ranger or Favored Soul doing similar things? How much worse were they for soloing?
    I can solo sins of attrition hard whit my lvl 20 aa ranger !!!!! eazy!!!!!!! well the new epic scimitar make it eazier but i shyne baby!!!

Unfortunately, you need elite gear to be above average+ as an AA. However, when you do get the right gear, you become pretty damn impressive and pretty much completely self sufficient.
    Sarlona Server Mythical:
    Kluege Fixer- Baddabing - Majuscule Kluege - Klueje - Klooj Maker - Dundar Kluege - Superkluege

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconShadow View Post
    @op ANSHAR WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN! - Kal (To everyone else in the thread Anshar taught me AA, he is one of the strongest AA on Khyber and extremely powerful and good at what he does, listen to him.)

I actually have to be carefull on my AA not to kill him to quickly on normal shroud, with my acid, icy burst greater elemental bane bow I rip him apart totally.

Which brings me to the most major advantage I can see of a AA, carrying a greater bane bow of EVERYTHING, carrying DR breaking arrows of everything and the capeability of if you go full power, with the right amount of TRs your damage can jump amazingly, however it also makes your threat jump a lot too meaning you need the skill and the knowledge of how to play.

Most think *** that AA is doing no damage at all, but that AA is having to hold back and usually a lot, if an AA was able to go full dps the whole time then things would be different, in my last life I could not even use normal speed attacks without pulling agro vs a large group of TRd mellees, this is my last AA life meaning my base damage is increased by +6, this doesn't sound like a lot but I am actually scared of the agro I will pull, at level 4 I am hitting for 1d8+14 +2d6 damage per arrow, not barbarian damage, but I don't get hit either, when I get many shot, arrow imbues that gap will close, when I get special proc bows that gap will close further. Largest crit on the DQ on epic? Mine is 124 just on the arrow with slayer arrow ontop and my bow procs totalling a nice little 642 damage.

Mellees, casters. You have your domains we have ours, there are quests you can dominate we have quests we can dominate, AAs top the board on portal DPS now taking 25% of the portals out on thier own, single handidly making up for the lack of dps from casters and healers on them which imo should be carrying portal beaters anyway if they arent the caster on cleanup duty.

Is the AA gimp? A little but I would say that is agro and a tiny bit in the dps zone
    Is it useful? Extremely in the right hands (As any class)
    Is it hard to play? Yes
    Does it have DPS? Yes it has burst DPS, it is a single target short burst nuker class
    Does a AA have to mellee? In lower/no TRs yes, but geared up with the right items, simply put they can be better CC or DPS with a bow depending on the situation, destruction, improved destruction, curse spewing, paralyzing, crippling, WOPing, terror causing, healing, buffing is far easier for a AA to use than any mellee.
    Why play an AA? An AA in the right hands makes the entire party stronger, it makes enemies weaker, it doesn't have to worry about HELL NO I WILL NOT TAKE OFF MY DPS WEAPON TO DESTRUCT... or other things most mellee have, it will destruct, improved destruct, it will curse spew it will paralyze, and combined with a caster and a tank in epics AAs dominate in the right hands of a "mellee" dps group, I have every party I played in, on bosses and on trash, improved precise shot, greater bane bows/light 2/rad 2 no one can do the combination better.

So next time you cry that an AA is bad, just politely tell him to look up a good AA and find out some tricks and tips, because it isn't the class. It is the player.
    Times changed now, I hit 1d10+64 + bow procs + imbues vs pretty much everything, I have more sneak attack damage, I have seeker I didnt have before, my DQ crits are around 220~240 and I have another 70hp, I think I am at the top of my game now with an arcane archer I still don't pump out as much dps as other classes but I do a lot more, keep working in them, take the TRs you need that +6 damage from past lives as badly as you wouldn't believe keep working at it and you will make it.
    "(Party): [Party] Mislabeled: you were killed by Qrazydirections"

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconShadow View Post
    Why play an AA?
    this might be a completly noobish point of view(as i'm in the game like 2weeks) and my views might change over time as i learn more,
    but did any of you consider, that there are ppl who just enjoy shooting stuff way more than slicing it apart?

-------------------------
    i've been a ranger in every mmo i played, and what OP wrote pretty much applies to my experiences of playing a ranger who pretty much holds onto his bow as much as the situation allows.
    So far, on lvl4 i didn't really have many reasons to go meelee anyway, but i don't mind doing so, i'm carrying the weapons anyways.

i read alot of stuff about AAs on this forum, to get the right idea for a build and to get a bit hang of what awaits me, and all i've learned is that there is a handfull of Archers who play an Archer, and a bunch of ppl who just run around with bows.
    This resulting into everyobdy hating AAs and just dismissing them from any group, instead of trying to teach them how to do it right from the start.

SO you got into this state: hate for AAs, they can't get into a party, therefore they learn only how to solo, when the accidentaly get into a party, they do only thing they know - solo kite stuff, goto 10

how about, next time, you veterans go through TR or just leveling up a new toon, pick some random new rangers into groups and explain them how to do stuff right?
    it says everywhere that this game has a very mature community, if thats true, i think the Archers will easily adapt to the right way of group play, so they can enjoy the game with everybody else.

yeah you probably wont be able to speed run to top lvls so fast, but your reward will be a properly played AAs in the endgame.

-------------------------
    on a side note

my experience as ranger from playing other games:
    archer is the person, who stays at range from the main fight and therefore has a good overview of whats happening. he isn't the guy who has to deals most dmg,
    he isn't the guy who has to heal everybody.
    he is the helping hand, he snipes a caster that nobody sees comming, cos they are killing the boss, he throws in some small heal if needed... you might not think much of it, and in the end, it might not even make the difference in surviving, but it can definitely make fights go smoother and less hectic without ppl even noticing..

the skills i'm bringing with me from other games:
    1. kill enemy casters, rangers first
    2. pull agro away from my own casters, healers
    3. don't run around like an idiot(unless you are the last alive)
    4. don't stand near the casters, so they wont get hit by aoe when you agro something (no idea how much this applies in ddo, not that far yet)

my guess is, this is pretty much how an archer should behave also here, and this isn't really hard to pull off, if you know you should do that

(well that turned out to be a pretty long rant for somebody who knows nearly nothing about this game, and i hope i didn't make an complete ass of my self right from the start of my career here)

Thumbs up

This thread began as a serious discussion about the Pure Ranger AA, and there has been a wide variety of responses, mostly very good and more than a few -very educational.
    Ive compiled quite a few builds myself, the Kensai II and III being very versatile (II wins) however, my luv will always be the Pure Ranger and have found through extensive gameplay that the PR ranks right up there when you consider Favored Enemies and put points and great consideration into it, not to mention the little bucket of spellz. Here's to you few and proud who lead the way, proving by example that the PR is still a stong asset to any group.
    And here's also hoping that with the new enhancements (pushed back, grrrrrrrrr) will come better imbuing, better Multishot, and better overall equalization.
    -Tarelyn --Achillesia, Thelanis

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345