Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tihocan View Post
    What was changed in U5 for a rogue 1/ monk 1 "exploiter" build?
    Wind stance loses its % attack speed, and gains to double strike.

Tempest I loses 10% attack speed, and gains to +10% offhand proc chance

Tempest II gains +10% offhand proc chance

Tempest III removes extra offhand attack, and gains 5% double strike chance.

Exploiter takes a significant hit to DPS, mostly because of the monk/tempest changes. but because no feats or enhancements were added or removed, the builds themselves need no additional tweaking.

Gonna work on Radiant Savant now (I *assume* this is the font of healing path?)

The Font of Healing (L20 Cleric)

Concept: Support cleric, with focus on healing, who can also use spells offensively but is weak in melee.
    Original path's flaws: No Maximize feat to boost offensive spells like Blade Barrier, a couple builds points wasted in Dex.
    Main fixes: Revised feats and moved some points from Dex to Str, since in the long term they will be more useful to avoid encumbrance issues without a Str item (and in the short term they will help melee at low levels, at the cost of lower AC).

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Good, Neutral, Neutral Good, Lawful Neutral, Lawful Good

Stats and Race (28/32 pt):
    ........Drow.....Dwarf......Elf.....Halfling...Human...Warforged.
    .Str.....10........10........10......10/12.......10........10....
    .Dex.....10........8.........10........10........8.........8.....
    .Con.....13......16/17.....12/14.......14......14/15.....16/17...
    .Int.....10........8.........8.........8.........8.........8.....
    .Wis.....18........18........18........18........18........16....
    .Cha.....12......10/12.......12......10/12.....12/14.....10/12...

Ability increase every 4 levels: All in Wis.

Skills (except Human and Drow): max Concentration.
    Skills (Human and Drow): max Concentration, add 1 rank into Tumble and dump remaining points into Balance.

Feats (by level), except Human: Mental Toughness (1), Extend (3), Empower Healing (6), Quicken (9), Maximize (12), Spell Penetration (15), Toughness (18)
    Feats (by level), Human: Mental Toughness (1), Toughness (1), Extend (3), Empower Healing (6), Quicken (9), Maximize (12), Spell Penetration (15), Greater Spell Penetration (18)

For more information about picking enhancements please read this post.
    Enhancements (Cleric): Cleric Heal II, Divine Intervention (capstone), Divine Vitality I, Energy of the Zealot II, Extra Turning I, Follower of the Sovereign Host (non-elves only), Follower of the Undying Court (elves only), Improved Empower Healing II, Improved Spell Penetration II, Improved Turning I, Life Magic III, Prayer of Incredible Life II, Prayer of Life II, Radiant Servant II, Undying Call (elves only), Unyielding Sovereignty (non-elves only), Wand and Scroll Mastery II, Wisdom II
    Enhancements (Drow): Racial Toughness II
    Enhancements (Dwarf): Constitution I, Faith I, Racial Toughness II, Spell Defense II
    Enhancements (Elf): Racial Toughness II
    Enhancements (Halfling): Hero's Companion III, Luck (Fortitude) I, Luck (Reflex) I, Racial Toughness II
    Enhancements (Human): Adaptability Wisdom I, Improved Recovery I, Orien Balance I, Racial Toughness II
    Enhancements (Warforged): Combat Training I, Constitution I, Hardiness I, Healer's Friend I, Racial Toughness II

Soloability by level:

No hireling..: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    With hireling: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Tips:
    - If you want it, a Cleric should be best to make money (because you do not need to spend much money on gear or consumables). If you find yourself being broke because spending all your cash on wands and scrolls, then stop! Ask other players to play smarter, bring their own healing or contribute to your expenses.
    - At low level, buff yourself with Bull's Strength (starting at L3) and use a shield and a weapon you are proficient with to contribute a bit to melee damage. Once you realize you do not hit much anymore and/or do not do any meaningful damage, focus only on offensive spells to contribute to the fights.
    - At some point your AC will not be good enough to avoid being hit, even on a 2. You can happily run around with two weapons (to boost your spells) and a good looking robe or vestment (faster to swap than armor).
    - Spell-wise, carry around a mix of buffs, damage and crow-control spells, to use depending on the situation.
    - A healer's first priority is not to heal others, but to stay alive.
    - Improved Turning I, Life Magic II, Cleric Heal II, and Divine Vitality I are required to qualify for Radiant Servant at level 6, so make sure you have aquired all of those enhancements before then!
    - Radiant Servant I, Prayer of Life I, Prayer of Incredible Life I and Unyielding Sovereignty (or Undying Call for elves) are required for radiant Servant II at level 12, so make sure you have aquired all those enhancements before then!

Variants:
    - Str, Dex and Cha may be changed slightly depending on personal preferences; Str mostly for encumbrance (and melee at lower levels), Dex for reflex saves (and AC at lower levels), and Cha for better turn Undead and other usage of turns in general (like Divine Vitality and Raidant Servant Healing Auras).
    - Mental Toughness can be handy, but players comfortable with spell point management and use of scrolls/wands may prefer to swap it out (taking Toughness at L1, and as last feat taking e.g. Greater Spell Penetration or Empower spell for even stronger offensive casting). On the contrary, someone who has little interest in offensive spells and enjoys having lots of spell points to heal friends may prefer to take Improved Mental Toughness instead of Spell Penetration.
    - This build is close in spirit to the Beacon of Hope Favored Soul path. In short, the Cleric is more versatile (thanks to the abiliity to swap spells at shrines), while the Favored Soul gets more spell points and at L20 gains some very useful Damage Reduction and free casting of Cure Light Wounds, making it more powerful overall.
    - Unyielding Sovereignty or Undying Call may be replaced with Cleric Charisma II, to qualify for Radiant Servant II. The same number of AP must be spent, but gives the cleric stronger turn undead, more turn undead, and bonus to charisma based skills (Diplomacy, Intimidate, Bluff, Haggle, and UMD), at the expense of a martial weapon proficiency, +1 to hit with that weapon, and a powerful heal (or ressurection, for elves).
    - Elves may choose Unyeilding Soveriegnty instead of Undying Call if they wish, gaining a powerful heal instead of a raise dead (true ressurection if used on another elf). Drow and Warforged also have Faith enhancements that can be used to qualify for Radiant Servant, but they do not mesh with the healer/caster nature of the build very well, and are not reccomended.
    Color code: best to worst = green, yellow, orange, red
    I was unsure whether to list Undying Call and Follower of the Undying Court under cleric enhancements, elven enhancements, or leave them out entirely and put in a "variant" footnote pertaining to elves. I decided to put them under Cleric Enhancements, but if you feel that it is too confused or cluttered, feel free to add an elf-optional footnote under variants.

Nothing needed to be deleted in this one, the changes were more additions than anything else. One again, my additions in Deep Sky Blue, to make it easier to see what i changed
    Last edited by Brennie; 07-01-2010 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brennie View Post
    Heres the simplest one (since its 2am and i don't feel like doing the harder Mechanic revise :P), but this is how i would revise the Dark Blade:

Fighter level dropped in favor of the capstone, power attack bumped to 18 replacing OTWF on non human, while OTWF is bumped to 18 replacing weapon focus: peirce for humans. All fighter-related entries deleted, and Rogue Deadly Shadows added to enhancement list (I'm assuming you left a few AP wiggle room in your builds? If not, i may need to re-tailor the enhancements).
    Minor note: without the fighter level the rogue special feats will come in at level 10, 13, 16 and 19, i.e. one level earlier than listed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    DDO players dont ragequit. They ragejoin. Boycotting around these parts means play something as much as possible, then post that we hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adalita View Post
    Minor note: without the fighter level the rogue special feats will come in at level 10, 13, 16 and 19, i.e. one level earlier than listed.
    Oh right, good catch. I'll edit.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Wind stance loses its % attack speed, and gains to double strike.

Tempest I loses 10% attack speed, and gains to +10% offhand proc chance

Tempest II gains +10% offhand proc chance

Tempest III removes extra offhand attack, and gains 5% double strike chance.
    Thanks, basically that's what I had in mind. I had forgotten about the Wind stance change, but on a DPS-oriented Exploiter it doesn't matter since you would be uncentered anyways.

So, no change to the build itself

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

(Font of Healing stuff)
    Thanks again... Things are a bit tough right now, my TODO list keeps growing, but I'll get there someday

Community Member

Default How to get Toughness

Two of the builds here that I'm interested in (Warpriest of Siberys and Tempest) require Toughness. I've looked through the feats available to cleric/fighter and ranger/rogue and I havn't seen this feat available?

How does one go about getting this set up correctly?

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Smacx View Post
    Two of the builds here that I'm interested in (Warpriest of Siberys and Tempest) require Toughness. I've looked through the feats available to cleric/fighter and ranger/rogue and I havn't seen this feat available?

How does one go about getting this set up correctly?
    I'm not sure what you mean here, but the feat should be available. Where did you look? (don't look into the class-specific feats in the compendium, those categories are all messed up and mostly irrelevant).

Community Member

I'm not sure what you mean here, but the feat should be available. Where did you look? (don't look into the class-specific feats in the compendium, those categories are all messed up and mostly irrelevant).
    Well, being a noob thats all I know to look at....

Where should I be looking?

-look in the game itself.

-ddowiki is quite reliable too.

-If you can do it in the character planner (search here on the forums for it), you can do it ingame.

Those are the sources I look at the most.
    Ride on shooting star / With the voice of my heart, like a shotgun / I kept on singing

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWhofan View Post
    You are allowed to post with the vets now.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Smacx View Post
    Well, being a noob thats all I know to look at....

Where should I be looking?
    The correct information for class bonus feats is found in the compendium in each class page, in the "optional abilities" tab.
    Not all classes get optional bonus feats. For instance Fighters get a martial feat every 2 levels, Wizards get a metamagic feat every 5 levels, Rangers get Favored Enemy feats every 5 levels, etc.

But any class can pick any "regular" feat at levels 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18.
    Read the top of this page for more information: http://ddowiki.com/page/Feats

Here is my stab at the repeating crossbow Master Mechanic.

Because this build is *so* different, it is basically a new build, so i will not be highlighting changes. I'd also suggest keeping in the link to the original path (Since it may very well be better >_<!)

I also hope that my attempt at revisions is helpful to your overburdeoned schedule, rather than simply tacking on new work!

I also hust realized, since the new paths have not even been released in the compendium yet, i may very well be duplicating what may soon exist there (Or even, perhaps, making less functional builds... though I honestly doubt that). We can only hope the new paths are any good...

Master Mechanic (L20 Rogue)

Concept: Focus on trap disabling, trap making, opening locks, and sneaking, while using repeating crossbows for damage output.
    Original path's flaws: *Updated Master Mechanic Path is not released yet*
    Main fixes: *Updated Master Mechanic is not released yet*

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Good, Neutral, Neutral Good, Lawful Neutral, Lawful Good

.Str.....10........10........10........10........10........10...
    .Dex.....18......16/17.......18......17/18.......16......16/17...
    .Con.....12........16......12/14.....14/15.....14/16.......16....
    .Int.....18........16........16........16........16........16...
    .Wis.....8.........8.........8.........8.........8.........8.....
    .Cha.....10.......6/7........8.........8.........8........6/7....

Ability increase every 4 levels: All in Dex.

Skills (except Human and Drow): Max Balance, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Open Lock, Search, Spot, Tumble and Use Magic Device.
    Skills (Human and Drow): Same, but max Haggle as well.

Feats (by level), except Human: Point Blank Shot (1), Rapid Reload (3), Toughness (6), Precise Shot (9), Improved Evasion (10), Improved Critical: Ranged (12), Crippling Strike (13), Improved Precise Shot (15), Slippery Mind (16), Rapid Shot (18), Skill Mastery (19)
    Feats (by level), Human: Point Blank Shot (1), Toughness (1), Rapid Reload (3), Rapid Shot (6), Precise Shot (9), Improved Evasion (10), Improved Critical: Ranged (12), Crippling Strike (13), Improved Precise Shot (15), Slippery Mind (16), Skill Focus: Use Magical Device (18), Skill Mastery (19)

Enhancements (Rogue): Deadly Shadows (capstone), Dexterity II, Disable Device III, Fire Trap Lore I, Haste Boost IV, Extra Action Boost I, Improved Trap Sense II, Mechanic II, Open Lock III, Search II, Skill Boost III, Sneak Attack Accuracy II, Sneak Attack Training II, Spot I
    Enhancements (Drow): Dexterity I, Enchantment Resistance I, Keen Eyes I, Perception I, Racial Toughness II
    Enhancements (Dwarf): Constitution I, Kundarak Search I, Racial Toughness II, Spell Defense II
    Enhancements (Elf): Dexterity I, Enchantment Resistance I, Keen Eyes I, Perception I, Racial Toughness II
    Enhancements (Halfling): Cunning II, Dexterity I, Heros Companion I, Guile II, Luck (Reflex) I, Racial Toughness II
    Enhancements (Human): Adaptability Dexterity I, Adaptibility Greater Intelligence I, Improved Recovery I, Racial Toughness II,
    Enhancements (Warforged): Constitution I, Healer's Friend II, Racial Toughness II

Soloability by level:

Tips:
    - Before you obtain Mechanic I, use a Rapier and Light Sheild (+1 or better) or Heavy Crossbow to take out enemies. Note that your accuracy and damage will be rather low to start out with, so it is reccomended you find a group or hireling to explore dungeons with. After you obtain the Mechanic I enhancement you can use Light Repeating Crossbows, and after you obtain Mechanic II you can use Light or Heavy Repeating Crossbows, which will be your best weapons for the remainder of the game.
    - Use Diplomacy to politely ask your opponents to attack someone else. This will let you land sneak attacks more reliably.
    - You do not have to sneak to land sneak attacks. Read this page for more information on sneak attacks. Be aware that you must be within fairly close range to your target in order to qualify for sneak attacks with ranged weapons.
    - Ultimately you would want to reach 39 UMD to be able to reliably use Heal scrolls. This can be achieved from 23 (base skill at L20) + 1 (Skill Mastery) + 2 (14 Cha with +6 item) + 4 (Greater Heroism) + 3 (Golden Cartouche) + 6 (exceptional bonus from Shroud raid item), which are reasonable items to obtain if you get all the way to level 20. There also also plenty of alternate sources for UMD bonuses, such as the Skill Focus: UMD feat for humans at level 18, as well as other spells and items. In the meantime, accept you may fail some checks and rely on your skill boost to make it less likely.
    - Improved Trap Sense I, Skill Boost II, Open Lock II, Disable Device II, and Fire Trap Lore I are prerequisites for Mechanic I, available at level 6. So make sure you aquire those enhancements before then!
    - Improved Trap Sense II, Open Lock III, Disable Device III, and Mechanic I are prerequisites for Mechanic II, available at level 12. So make sure you aquire those enhancements before then!

Variants:
    - IMPORTANT: Consider following the Dark Blade path instead, which, simply put, is better. The reason is that there is little point in playing a master trapsmith in DDO when (1) 99% of traps in the game can be handled without focusing too much in disabling, and (2) 99% of quests can be easily completed without even disabling traps. Alternatively, since traps can still be a challenge for a low level Rogue with no good gear, you may follow the Dark Blade build progression except for enhancements (taking those from the Master Mechanic build instead, with a focus on enhancements boosting Rogue skills), then later on respec enhancements to switch to Assassin (once you realize traps are easy enough for you).
    - For a melee dual-weilding Master Mechanic, check out the Original Master Mechanic.
    - The L18 feat for humans may be replaced with either a different skill focus (such as search, if you are having difficulties in that area), Weapon Focus: Ranged (if you are missing too often), or a feat of your choice.
    - Although overall the Bluff skill is currently not worth investing into, it may be improved some day. And if you are planning to solo a lot, it can be somewhat useful to land more sneak attacks. To get Bluff, split some points between Balance, Jump and Tumble so that you can max out Bluff. Among Balance, Jump and Tumble, Balance is the most important, while you can stop investing in Jump and Tumble once you are comfortable with respectively how high you can jump, and from how high you can fall without taking too much damage. Note that a 40 Jump skill (with buffs) is the maximum you need, and at L18 you can obtain a Jump clicky that gives you +30 to it.

So, after having tailored this whole build, I have a few things I'm still shakey on. First, the most glaring issue, is that this build has little to no melee viability. Unfortunatly, i cannot see how to rectify that without sacrificing the ranged potential of the build.

Secondly, The stat distribution. I rather like even numbers, so i did my best to keep the build that way. The 32 point upgrade can't afford more than 1 extra point into dex or int on most races, so it seemed more prudent to bump up con instead. I'd be curious to See if Tihocan agrees or disagrees with this.

Also curious whether 12 con on drow is going to be a liability. If so, 2 points can be dropped from int and given to con, and "Drow" can be deleted from the "human and drow" line of the Skills section.

Thirdly, this build is going to suffer for combat skills in the early levels. With no weapon finesse and low strength, it will really struggle (which is, of course, not exactly the best way to start off a new player). However, i can see no way around that without damaging the ranged potential from level 6 up.

Fourthly, Skill Focus: UMD on the human build is more or less a placeholder. It seems like the best thing to put there, simply because I've run out of ranged feats that function for repeating crossbows, and weapon focus doesn't seem necessary. Feel free to change it as you see fit.

Also, if anyone sees any problems with my math, feat requirments, etc, please let me know and i will edit. Having to pluck out stats in that nightmare of hypertext took forever, and I'm not entirely sure i got everything right *lol*

I hope this helps you Tihocan!
    Last edited by Brennie; 07-01-2010 at 04:28 PM.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Default Arcane Cannon

Arcane Cannon (L20 Sorcerer)

Concept: Sorcerer focused towards dishing out a lot of damage through spells
    Original path's flaws: Spending points in Bluff instead of UMD, points wasted in Dex and feats wasted in Combat Casting / Mobile Spellcasting, too squishy (no Toughness), no Heighten
    Main fixes: Took UMD instead of Bluff, optimized build points better, and revised feats so as to be a better caster

.Str.....8.........10.......8/10.......10........10........10....
    .Dex.....10........8.........10........10........8.........8.....
    .Con.....14......17/18.......14......14/15.......16......17/18...
    .Int.....12......10/12.....10/12.....10/12......8/10.....10/12...
    .Wis.....8.........8.........8.........8........8/10.......6.....
    .Cha.....20........16........18........18........18........16....

Ability increase every 4 levels: All in Cha.

Skills: At all levels keep maxed out Concentration and UMD. On 32 pt versions and Drow, at character creation get one rank (two skill points) in Tumble and spend rest into Balance, then on further levels spend your extra skill point into Balance.

Feats (by level), except Human: Toughness (1), Empower (3), Maximize (6), Extend (9), Heighten (12), Spell Focus: Evocation (15), Spell Penetration (18)
    Feats (by level), Human: Toughness (1), Empower (1), Maximize (3), Extend (6), Heighten (9), Spell Focus: Evocation (12), Spell Penetration (15), Mental Toughness (18)

Enhancements (Sorcerer): Bloodline of Power (capstone), Charisma II, Elemental Manipulation IV, Energy Manipulation III, Energy of the Dragonblooded II, Improved Empowering II, Improved Maximizing II, Improved Spell Penetration I, Lineage of Deadly Elements III, Lineage of Deadly Energy II, Lineage of Elements III, Lineage of Energy II
    Enhancements (Drow): Racial Toughness II
    Enhancements (Dwarf): Constitution I, Racial Toughness II, Spell Defense I
    Enhancements (Elf): Racial Toughness II
    Enhancements (Halfling): Racial Toughness II
    Enhancements (Human): Adaptability Charisma I, Racial Toughness II, Versatility III
    Enhancements (Warforged): Constitution I, Force Manipulation I, Inscribed Armor I (must take early), Racial Toughness II, Wand and Scroll Mastery II

Spells taken when leveling up.
    Spells followed by brackets may be swapped for the spell given in brackets, at the character level also provided. Swapping spells is often a non-mandatory minor optimization, so you may decide not to do it if it is too expensive for you (you can also directly pick the spell that should be swapped to, but be careful that you may wish you had the other spell while leveling up).
    • L1: Burning Hands [Jump at L7] / Niac's Cold Ray (non Warforged) or Repair Light Damage (Warforged) [Ray of Enfeeblement at L10 on non Warforged or L12 on Warforged]
    • L2: Magic Missile (non Warforged) or Niac's Cold Ray (Warforged) [Magic Missile at L10 on Warforged]
    • L3: Nightshield
    • L4: Scorching Ray
    • L5: Blur [Web at L11 on Warforged only]
    • L6: Haste
    • L7: Fireball [Rage at L15] / Resist Energy (non Warforged) or Repair Moderate Damage (Warforged)
    • L8: Wall of Fire
    • L9: Acid Blast / Dimension Door / Web (non Warforged) or Resist Energy (Warforged)
    • L10: Cone of Cold
    • L11: Displacement / Enervation [Fire Shield at L19] / Prismatic Ray [Cloudkill at L17]
    • L12: Disintegrate (non Warforged) or Reconstruct (Warforged)
    • L13: Chain Lightning / Hold Monster [Break Enchantment at L20] / Stoneskin
    • L14: Finger of Death
    • L15: Acid Fog / Delayed Blast Fireball / Protection from Elements
    • L16: Polar Ray
    • L17: Horrid Wilting / Prismatic Spray
    • L18: Wail of the Banshee
    • L19: Energy Drain / Otto's Irresistible Dance
    • L20: Hold Monster, Mass

Soloability by level (except Warforged):

Soloability by level (Warforged):

Tips:
    - Be aware that casting only damage spells is not a realistic viable playtstyle throughout the whole game. Spell damage shines in the 8-12 level range, then gets more and more situationally useful as you level up. This is the reason why this build is still meant to be able use a few Crowd-Control and Insta-kill spells, for situations where they are more appropriate than damaging ones.
    - Casting damage-oriented spells requires some careful spell point management. Spamming empowered/maximized/heightened spells can be a lot of fun, but do not expect to always be able to kill everything this way, as it will drain spell points very fast: learn to turn on and off your Metamagic feats.
    - Focus mostly on fire and cold spells, relying on acid/lightning in situations where the former are not effective.
    - To solo in the earliest levels, it can be easier to buff yourself and swing a staff (with the highest + you can find) than to try and get everything done with spells.
    - Carry large stacks of spell components. Running out of them in the middle of a quest can be embarrassing.
    - There is a lot to learn from MrCow's videos, especially about soloing with a Warforged caster.
    - Since you cannot swap spells easily, carrying the following arcane scrolls (or wands / clickies) is advised: Summon Monster (any level), Invisibility, Teleport, Greater Teleport, Greater Heroism, Reconstruct, True Seeing, Knock.
    - The purpose of Magic Missile, past the lower levels, is not so much to deal damage but rather to control aggro: it is a spell that (almost) never misses, and only hits your selected target. It can be useful for instance to pull a specific monster to you, out of a group chasing someone else.

Variants:
    - On a Warforged, UMD is less critical, though still useful (in particular to use race-restricted gear and help party members with scrolls like Raise Dead and Heal). One may prefer to lower Int and give up UMD in favor of extra Wis, Dex or Str, especially if planning to play mostly solo. Another option is to invest in Jump instead of UMD, although only a few points are necessary to reach the maximum useful value (40), considering the Jump spell will give +30 at higher levels, and Greater Heroism +4.
    - A Warforged may consider taking the Quicken feat: because they can self-heal, Warforged casters tend to be more reckless than other races, and the ability to throw quickened Repairs/Reconstructs in the heart of combat can be quite useful. Depending on your personal preference and playstyle, Quicken may replace Toughness, Extend, Spell Focus: Evocation or Spell Penetration.
    - On a Human, Mental Toughness may be replaced by Greater Spell Focus: Evocation (to land even better your damage spells), Greater Spell Penetration (for better Crowd-Control and insta-kill), or Skill Focus: UMD (mostly for more reliable usage of Heal scrolls).
    - On 32 pt builds, if you are planning to use a +2 Int tome at L7, you may start with -2 Int (increasing e.g. Wis or Dex for saves), at the cost of losing a few points in Balance.
    - Enhancements in this build are focused towards maximum damage using elemental (fire/cold) spells, and good damage using energy (lighting/acid) spells. Learn your targets' weaknesses to use the most appropriate spell depending on the situation. The force/repair spells are not really worth investing into in the current state of the game.
    - There is room for variations in the spell selection. For instance Blur (mostly useful to buff other party members when maintaining displacement is too costly / time consuming) can be replaced by Knock once you get access to Displacement (to open those locks for which a Knock scroll or wand is not enough), for non Warforged (in the proposed build, Warforged already lose Blur to make room for Repair Moderate Damage). Acid Fog may be replaced by Disintegrate on a Warforged (in which case you should make sure you obtain another fog spell, e.g. Cloudkill or Solid Fog, to be able to give concealment to the party in some fights). Ray of Enfeeblement or Magic Missile may be replaced by Hypnotism, to have another Crowd-Control spell. Flesh to Stone is also a useful Crowd-Control spell that could replace one of Acid Fog, Disintegrate or Chain Lightning. Displacement may be swapped with Acid Blast to favor defense over offense. Break Enchantment may be replaced by Ball Lightning for more damage fun.
    - If you are planning to solo at L5, consider taking Fireball before Haste, since it will help you kill groups of monsters faster (while Haste is mostly useful in a group to increase attack speed - it also helps with running speed but you can still rely on striders or expeditious retreat clickies at this level).
    - This build is similar in spirit to the Elementalist Wizard path. Refer to this page for an overview of the differences between Sorcerer and Wizard, to see which one you would enjoy most.

Last edited by tihocan; 01-27-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Sorry it took so long to come up with another build. I hate the spell selection step on a Sorcerer, it takes forever for me to plan it out :/

I'm going to take a pause on new builds and focus on going back through the many notes I took in the last couple of weeks, from comments in this thread and in pms (thanks everyone for the feedback!), to fix a few things, add notes, and links to build variants posted by other people. Then I'll go through the U5 release notes to update all current builds. Then I'll get back to the rest of the paths

The Dark Blade (L19 Rogue/L1 Fighter)

Concept: Good damage dealer, decent survivability, and of course able to take care of traps and locks.
    Original path's flaws: No Power Attack (leading to a serious lack of DPS when unable to sneak attack), no Toughness (rogues are somewhat squishy), Weapon Focus instead of Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting (the latter gives an extra +1 to-hit in the common situation of dual wielding non light weapons).
    Main fixes: Revised feats for better damage output and survivability.

Multi-class progression <- click for more info: Create your character as a Rogue, then take your second level as Fighter, then levels 3 to 20 as Rogue.

.Str.....14........14........14........12........14........14....
    .Dex.....18......16/17.......18........18......16/17.....16/17...
    .Con.....12........16......12/14.......14........14........16....
    .Int.....16........14........14......14/15.......14........14....
    .Wis.....8.........8.........8........8/9.......8/9.......6/7....
    .Cha.....10.......6/7........8........8/9........8.........6.....

Ability increase every 4 levels: All in Dex (except on a Halfling, where the first increase at L4 should be spent into Str if you are unable to obtain a +1 Str tome to qualify for Power Attack).

Skills (except Human and Drow): Max Search, Disable Device, UMD, Open Locks, Spot, Balance, Diplomacy, Hide, Move Silently. Split your remaining points equally between Jump and Tumble. On your Fighter level you will not have enough skill points for everything, so invest them in some of the skills above (making sure you do not end up with an extra .5 in any skill - spending a point in another Fighter skill if necessary), then catch up on your next rogue levels (do not spend points in Jump, Tumble or Balance until after all other skills are back to max score, and max out first the first skills listed).
    Skills (Human and Drow): Same, but you should be able to get both Jump and Tumble instead of splitting points between them.

Feats (by level), except Human: Two-Weapon Fighting (1), Weapon Finesse (2), Toughness (3), Power Attack (6), Improved Two-Weapon Fighting (9), Improved Evasion (11), Improved Critical: Pierce (12), Crippling Strike (14), Greater Two-Weapon Fighting (15), Skill Mastery (17), Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting (18), Slippery Mind (20)
    Feats (by level), Human: Two-Weapon Fighting (1), Toughness (1), Weapon Finesse (2), Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting (3), Power Attack (6), Improved Two-Weapon Fighting (9), Improved Evasion (11), Improved Critical: Pierce (12), Crippling Strike (14), Greater Two-Weapon Fighting (15), Skill Mastery (17), Weapon Focus: Pierce (18), Slippery Mind (20)

Enhancements (Fighter): Toughness I
    Enhancements (Rogue): Assassin III, Damage Boost II, Dexterity II, Haste Boost III, Hide II, Move Silently II, Search I, Skill Boost III (except Human), Sneak Attack Accuracy IV, Sneak Attack Training IV, Subtle Backstabbing II
    Enhancements (Drow): Dexterity I, Enchantment Resistance I, Melee Attack I, Melee Damage I, Perception I, Racial Toughness II
    Enhancements (Dwarf): Constitution I, Kundarak Search I, Racial Toughness II, Spell Defense II
    Enhancements (Elf): Aerenal Melee Attack I, Aerenal Melee Damage I, Dexterity I, Enchantment Resistance I, Perception I, Racial Toughness II
    Enhancements (Halfling): Cunning III, Dexterity I, Guile III, Luck (Reflex) I, Racial Toughness II
    Enhancements (Human): Adaptability Dexterity I, Improved Recovery I, Racial Toughness II, Versatility III
    Enhancements (Warforged): Constitution I, Construct Thinking I, Hardiness I, Healer's Friend II, Racial Toughness II

Soloability by level:

Tips:
    - Early on, dual-wield a rapier in your main hand with a shortsword or light pick in your off-hand. Around mid levels you should be able to switch to dual rapiers without missing too much (the Human build may start dual wielding rapiers at L3).
    - Use Diplomacy to politely ask your opponents to attack someone else. This will let you land sneak attacks more reliably.
    - You do not have to sneak to land sneak attacks. Read this page for more information on sneak attacks.
    - If you ever get to the point (around L16) where you start running the Shroud raid regularly, consider crafting a Radiance rapier. It is an awesome weapon for such a build.
    - Ultimately you would want to reach 39 UMD to be able to reliably use Heal scrolls. This can be achieved from 23 (base skill at L20) + 1 (Skill Mastery) + 3 (16 Cha with +6 item and +2 Cha tome) + 4 (Greater Heroism) + 2 (Head of Good Fortune) + 6 (exceptional bonus from Shroud raid item), which are reasonable items to obtain if you get all the way to level 20. In the meantime, accept you may fail some checks and rely on your skill boost to make it less likely.
    - Your Spot skill wwill be a bit low in the early levels. If you want to spot traps, try to get your hands on an item boosting this skill, and possibly invest a few action points in enhancements increasing it (probably getting rid of them later when you can spot traps reliably enough).

Variants:
    - Another very good option is to go Strength-based instead of finesse. In which case you would swap Weapon Finesse for Khopesh proficiency and Improved Critical: Pierce for the Slash version (Dwarves may decide to use dwarven axes and Elves/Drow rapiers, taking Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting instead of Khopesh, and Weapon Focus: Slash at L18). Your main stat would be Str, while Dex should be just enough so you can pick the Two-Weapon, Improved Two-Weapon and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting feats (with base score, level-up stat increases and tomes, it must be 15 for TWF, and 17 for ITWF and GTWF). Being strength-based means higher damage output, at the cost of reduced reflex saves and AC. Races without a Dex bonus (Human, Warforged and Dwarf) would benefit from it most.
    - It is possible to stay pure rogue, although at this point there is not much incentive to do so, the main benefit being +1 to your Assassinate DC. You would have to drop the Oversized TWF feat.
    - A Human may prefer to take Combat Expertise instead of Weapon Focus, for a more defensive build (on a non Human, Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting would have to be dropped, which may require to sometimes switch back to rapier & shortsword/pick instead of dual rapiers, when unable to hit reliably enough).
    - On a Human, Weapon Focus: Pierce may be replaced by Skill Focus: UMD, and swapped using your free feat exchange once you obtain the gear necessary to boost your UMD high enough.
    - Although overall the Bluff skill is currently not worth investing into, it may be improved some day. And if you are planning to solo a lot, it can be somewhat useful to land more sneak attacks. To get Bluff, split some points between Balance, Jump and Tumble (instead of just Jump and Tumble) so that you can max out Bluff. Among Balance, Jump and Tumble, Balance is the most important, while you can stop investing in Jump and Tumble once you are comfortable with respectively how high you can jump, and from how high you can fall without taking too much damage. Note that a 40 Jump skill (with buffs) is the maximum you need, and at L18 you can obtain a Jump clicky that gives you +30 to it.

Is this up to date for the latest update? It was recommended to me in another thread and I like it.

If its not updated what would I need to do differently? I have a +2 Tom package I can use on a 28 point build at level 7 if needed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by CrunK. View Post
    Is this up to date for the latest update? It was recommended to me in another thread and I like it.

If its not updated what would I need to do differently? I have a +2 Tom package I can use on a 28 point build at level 7 if needed.

Sorry, no, it's not up-to-date yet. Brennie posted a pure version for U5 here that you can check out: http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...&postcount=348
    I haven't thought about it seriously myself, but I'll probably end up either doing something similar, or mentioning it as a variant. I need to think more about which one is best for new players (though I doubt there is a single easy answer to that question).

Cool, i'll look it over later when I get out of my mech

Quote Originally Posted by CrunK. View Post

Tihocan already posted my pure build variant, which takes advantage of the new rogue capstone, but in all honesty both builds are competative. The U5 changes had little impact on assassin build, other than making pure more attractive than it was before.

If in doubt, start with either build and simply put the fighter level on hold. If you decide pure is the way to go then keep on keepin' on, and if you feel you really want to squeeze in an extra feat, a few more hitpoints (14, specifically) , and martial proficiency then you can always take a fighter level later.

Community Member

Regarding the fighter level on Dark Blade:

Especially for new players who cannot afford to be as picky with their weapon selections (based often on what's cheap on the AH, or what they get as drops), the fighter level is very very nice for expanding the proficiency list. It's also nice for being able to not be picky with specific weapons you might find - things like undead bane. My rogue's first ghost touch weapon that I grabbed for Chamber of Insanity was actually a greatsword, because that's all I could get.

This is mainly for a strength-based rogue - the only Weapon Finesse-able weapons that a rogue gains access to with martial weapon proficiencies are the kukri, light hammer, light pick, and handaxe - not a huge list.

I'm currently leveling up the original dark blade path (dwarf str-based variant) and having a blast with it, and I'm sure if I had a level 20 feeding me lots of plat I could afford some really sweet rapiers - but that's not the case, so I'm making "do" with +5 dwarven waraxes - and being very effective. Putting back my sneak attack progression a level is definitely worth it.

I'm assuming it's easier to customize your weapon selection at 20, so if I get super-attached to the character at level 20 and feel gimped without the extra rogue level and capstone, that's what a +1 heart of wood is for.

In other news, a comment and some questions about the Dynamic Hand Sorc build - I've been playing up that as well, very fun. I've mostly stuck to the build (swapped Nightshield for Charm Person because Charm is too damn fun & amazing in places like kobold assault and tear of dhakaan, then Jump for Nightshield, Ray of Enfeeblement for Jump). So far I've had one regret: First is my level 9 feat. I'm not really finding the need for Empower all that much. I'm kind of wishing I'd taken Heighten - super-powered webs would be very nice, as would Charm (but that's not in your original build anyway). I think swapping those might be better.

As for spell selection, got a couple questions there:

Blackbones. These guys are deadly enough when a party runs into them, but having to throw up my hands and say "have fun guys" is pretty frustrating. (Actually, I toss out some force missile/lightning bolts from wands, but that's not really doing much) What spell would be the lowest cost/highest benefit to swap out for something to deal with fire+cold immune creatures?

PK: With the double save, I've had some really bad experiences trying to use this to get something down, blowing a bunch of spell points and going "woulda been easier to just nuke it". It's now just gathering dust on my bars. Am I missing something here? Is it just in there as a filler for the "save or die" spell until finger?

Looking forward to spells I don't have yet: (sorc is level 10) How good is Dimension Door? I've seen some people use them in quests at the end (yay I don't have to wait to recall out?) Reconstruct only for warforged? At high levels, are WF going to okay with me having zero healing (outside of wands)? (my sorc is a drow). Mind Fog - an area that drops will saves, but they have to fail a will save for it to work - aside from the area issue, it just seems like a waste of spell points compared to just casting whatever you're going to do twice. Horrid Wilting - since none of my items or enhancements will work on this, is this just in here as a damager for elemental immune stuff? Or are there a ton of plant/water creatures at high levels?

Lastly, thanks for all the effort - I've been enjoying these builds (also been working on a monk and a spellsinger out of your stuff), and they're very useful considering the large amount of character design required from the very start in this game. I understand the devs adjusted some of the paths in the latest patch - I wonder if they used any of your ideas?

Can't wait to see more guides from you - when you're done with these, got anything planned? (maybe a gear guide for new players?)

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Re: Oliaga

First, thanks

About the Fighter level on Dark Blade: my main reason for potentially removing it would be more because multiclassing is more confusing to new players, rather than L20 effectiveness. Since these builds are meant for new players, being a bit better in the 19-20 range actually seems a bit more useful than at L20. That's at least what I'm leaning towards atm, but it may change by the time I go and edit the post

Empower vs. Heighten at L9 on Dynamic Hand: I guess that's a matter of personal preference. I know I pretty much always keep maximize+empower active at this level. Taking note to mention it as a variant!

Blackbones: can't remember if they are vulnerable to other elemental damage? I personally tend to web them then beat on them with a staff...

PK: It's not always easy to land, need to find the good targets (those who don't have too high will nor fort). Enervating first makes it land better too.

Dimension door is very useful in a few quests.

Scrolls of Reconstruct: yep, only for warforged. Not mandatory, but people will appreciate it (wands don't cut it out at high level).

Mind Fog: Situational, but can be handy to combine e.g. for Otto's Sphere of Dancing, or to prepare a mass Charm / Hold.

Horrid Wilting: For stuff immune to elemental damage.

Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast