Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 LastLast
    Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Lerl View Post
    It is now post Update 9 and I need to reset the enhancements on my wizards/sorcerer. The sorcerer is pretty straight-forward to do, and I did my FavS. The issue is the wizards.

First, the alts mentioned are following these paths. I have a Warforged Archmage and a Drow Pale Master. Both have been pretty fun to play.

With the AM, I don't know if I should be focusing on the elemental paths or the AM enhancements. Going full-on AM, I only have enough AP left to max out one element, which would naturally be repair. Or should I focus on the elements and let the AM ride? I am not sure which way would be best.

For the PM, I am not sure which element would best fit her, or if going for elements at all would be advisable. Needless to say, I am lost. I don't want to run them until I have it figured out, and I don't feel I know enough to make an informed decision.

ANY help would be much appreciated.
    I'm sorry, but honestly I haven't thought at all about this. I just know it's going to be a pita I'm not sure when I'll have time to look seriously into it either, unfortunately.

My suggestion would be for now to avoid maxing out a single line without any other backup. Pick 2-3 types of spells and spread your APs among these. You won't be doing max damage, but should remain viable. Then as you play more, you can figure out if you want to specialize more into a specific kind of spell.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Guild Scribe

Talking Thanks

I didn't have much problem with my sorcerer. Pick a couple of compatible lines and go for max. I kind of got the feeling that they didn't think much about the wizards when they made the change. : /

Also, I was surprised to find that the AM has 5 PrE levels. That is part of what threw me. I think I can get that from here. Would you suggest force as one of the elements for a PM? I am lost on her.

Thanks again for your help.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Lerl View Post
    I didn't have much problem with my sorcerer. Pick a couple of compatible lines and go for max. I kind of got the feeling that they didn't think much about the wizards when they made the change. : /

Also, I was surprised to find that the AM has 5 PrE levels. That is part of what threw me. I think I can get that from here. Would you suggest force as one of the elements for a PM? I am lost on her.

Thanks again for your help.
    You don't have to take all AM enhancements though. You can be picky
    Force may be better on an AM that can throw cheap magic missiles.
    Personally I'd try to have at least one of fire or cold, and one of acid or lightning. That should cover your bases. Rest is bonus.

Aya, now poor Tihocan's gotta update the PM survivabilty listing again, now that they get undead forms (and access to self-healing) at lv 6 with Zombie form. This should be interesting for sure.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingrage View Post
    Aya, now poor Tihocan's gotta update the PM survivabilty listing again, now that they get undead forms (and access to self-healing) at lv 6 with Zombie form. This should be interesting for sure.
    Oh yeah, want to save me some time and tell me what it's all about?

Couple of things concerning wizards and casters as a whole, one or two for the PM specifically:

Spell casting costs are getting heavily tweaked for lower level casters so they're not having to watch their SP like a hawk, as an example Burning Hands went from 10sp cast cost to 4. On top of that, if you run out of SP you get a short SP regen called Echoes of Power that brings you back up to 12 SP (enough for 3 lv 1 attack spells or maybe a lv 2 attack spell).

Eternal Wands got tweaked so they actually regenerate visibly, caster levels tweaked, and the lowbie ones also got an extra bonus (forget what offhand)

Pale Master had some reshuffling of forms, Lich form is now lv 18, Vampire form replaces it at lv 12 and comes with a bonus to Enchantment DCs to the tune of +2, innate Lesser Vampirism, and no sparkles. A new form, Zombie form, comes in at level 6, meaning that yes, you can start self-healing as a PM as low as level 6, however the hunger for brains costs you 2 points of Int, but in trade you get more Str/Con and apparently hit dice for attacking, though attacking is a bit slower. All undead forms now take more damage from 'Light' sources, though I have yet to test this out (still not lv 6 yet, but now very motivated to head that way!) Ah, whoops, forgot Zombie form has 100% crit resist and DR of either 5 or 10/slashing.

On top of that, it appears that arcane casting enhancements got scrapped and rebuilt from the ground up in regards to the damage boosting, crit boosting, and crit modifications.

If you need specifics I can go look them up for you later today.
    Last edited by Dancingrage; 05-06-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Couple of things concerning wizards and casters as a whole, one or two for the PM specifically:

Spell casting costs are getting heavily tweaked for lower level casters so they're not having to watch their SP like a hawk, as an example Burning Hands went from 10sp cast cost to 4. On top of that, if you run out of SP you get a short SP regen called Echoes of Power that brings you back up to 12 SP (enough for 3 lv 1 attack spells or maybe a lv 2 attack spell).

Eternal Wands got tweaked so they actually regenerate visibly, caster levels tweaked, and the lowbie ones also got an extra bonus (forget what offhand)

Pale Master had some reshuffling of forms, Lich form is now lv 18, Vampire form replaces it at lv 12 and comes with a bonus to Enchantment DCs to the tune of +2, innate Lesser Vampirism, and no sparkles. A new form, Zombie form, comes in at level 6, meaning that yes, you can start self-healing as a PM as low as level 6, however the hunger for brains costs you 2 points of Int, but in trade you get more Str/Con and apparently hit dice for attacking, though attacking is a bit slower. All undead forms now take more damage from 'Light' sources, though I have yet to test this out (still not lv 6 yet, but now very motivated to head that way!) Ah, whoops, forgot Zombie form has 100% crit resist and DR of either 5 or 10/slashing.

On top of that, it appears that arcane casting enhancements got scrapped and rebuilt from the ground up in regards to the damage boosting, crit boosting, and crit modifications.

If you need specifics I can go look them up for you later today.
    ty!

Community Member

Default Thanks!

I just want to say that as a new player your thread is MASSIVELY helpful. I was able to pick out an effective tank build (Stalwart Soldier Fighter) and healer for my friend (Holy Font Cleric) and I feel confident that the builds will be effective long enough for us to see the majority of the game (if not all of it) on our very first characters. Please keep up the great work!

I did see that on the Wiki there was a post about in Update 11 xbows getting revamped? Is Mechanic Rogue xbow damage good right now or is it non-viable?

Community Member

Default Latest update ruined my build

I had never built an arcane before, so I decided to build a warforged Ingenious Sage and have reached Level 7. I just realized that Elemental Manipulation, Lineage of Elements, and Lineage of Deadly Elements are completely unavailable, while Force Manipulation now gives extra force damage but no longer helps my warforged-friendly repair abilities. I don't feel fully competent to respec the build myself. Could I please get some help with a whole new list of enhancements for a warforged Ingenious Sage?

Thx!
    Last edited by downsfit; 05-23-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by LoneVandal View Post
    I just want to say that as a new player your thread is MASSIVELY helpful. I was able to pick out an effective tank build (Stalwart Soldier Fighter) and healer for my friend (Holy Font Cleric) and I feel confident that the builds will be effective long enough for us to see the majority of the game (if not all of it) on our very first characters. Please keep up the great work!

I did see that on the Wiki there was a post about in Update 11 xbows getting revamped? Is Mechanic Rogue xbow damage good right now or is it non-viable?
    It is ok. Let's say, just enough to be viable But you can't really consider it to be "good DPS".

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by downsfit View Post
    I had never built an arcane before, so I have been building a warforged Ingenious Sage and just reached Level 7. I now see that Lineage of Elements and Lineage of Deadly Elements are completely unavailable, while Elemental Manipulation now gives extra force damage but no longer helps my warforged-friendly repair abilities. I don't feel fully competent to respect the build myself. Could I please get some help with a whole new list of enhancements for a warforged Ingenious Sage?

Thx!
    Yep I'm sorry, I need to revise the caster enhancements
    Can't really give you a full list now, but my suggestion would be to pick one primary and one secondary elemental lines, one between fire & cold, and the other one between acid & lightning.
    If there's a line that boosts repair, spend 1-3 APs into it as well.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by tihocan View Post
    Yep I'm sorry, I need to revise the caster enhancements
    Can't really give you a full list now, but my suggestion would be to pick one primary and one secondary elemental lines, one between fire & cold, and the other one between acid & lightning.
    If there's a line that boosts repair, spend 1-3 APs into it as well.
    After looking at it some more, it seems that for warforged repair, I start with Repair Manipulation I. If I want to boost its critical chances, I start augmenting with Reconstructive Spellcasting I.

My key attraction to the Ingenious Sage is that it was designed to be an arcane generalist. The latest update forces more specialization upon the "generalist", undermining its broad utility. For example, I can no longer be fairly good at both fire and cold spells using a single line of enhancements. I must choose to go deep into one line, or shallow into both lines.

I am thrilled to finally have Wall of Fire now that I hit level 7, so as of right now I will try the fire enhancements rather than the ice enhancements. Since Elemental Manipulation I is no longer available, I will start with Flame Manipulation I. Since Lineage of Elements I is no longer available, I can start with Combustive Spellcasting I instead. And because Lineage of Deadly Elements I is no longer available, I could begin with Deadly Flame I. Again, all this gives more depth, but less breadth.

We can go all the way from I to V on a single line of enhancements, or take only I or II on multiple lines . If you ever get a chance to reformulate the enhancements for Ingenious Sage, that would be great. I really appreciate all your work tihocan, and look forward to seeing what trade-offs you would make to keep this build viable yet true to its name.
    Last edited by downsfit; 05-23-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Community Member

I'd rep you if I could, tihocan, but unfortunately, nothing doing. Either way, mad props to you for the builds I looked at. Even if I really only like the Favored Soul and Wizard capstones, I'm seeing good reasons to go pure with some classes I've been thinking about keeping as alts.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by downsfit View Post
    After looking at it some more, it seems that for warforged repair, I start with Repair Manipulation I. If I want to boost its critical chances, I start augmenting with Reconstructive Spellcasting I.
    Yep, don't boost the crit chance too, it's rather useless.
    Personally I'd start with just Repair Manipulation I, and only invest in more at higher levels if I have extra APs.

Community Member

Hey I started DDO just a few days ago and found your build for the Cleric War priest. I'm new to DDO but a little familiar with D&D. I've always had an issue with characters because I always become dissatisfied with em and end up remaking them (my friends never let me hear the end of it). But your Warpriest of Siberys build was what I chose for my first character and HE IS UNSTOPPABLE... so far. I seriously LOVE the build you made, it's fantastic for me. I've always liked the "Healer with tank abilities and buffs" class and this is it. Thanks so much for posting it!

Tihocan, if you need a hand with the wizard enhancements to give you a breakdown, gimme a shout here or through PM and I'll see if I can get a breakdown for you. Compared to the FAQs I've thrown down for the other game I play (or the super detailed list you have here) it should be child's play.

Community Member

Was reading through all the builds (yes, I'm bored!) when I noticed this...

Quote Originally Posted by tihocan View Post
    Enhancements (Halfling): Cunning II, Guile III
    Halfling Guile III requires Halfling Cunning III... halfling always needs the cunning of that level before they get access to the guile of that level... not sure if this problem exists in other builds
    Everybody's cute. Everybody's cute! Even me. But in purple, I'm stunning!

Thank you very much for these builds. I am returning to the game after a few months on break, and I totally lost the thread on where I was going on my current character. As I have Drow unlocked, I decided to just make a new character and take advantage of the extra the Drow has.

I would like a build that has decent solo ability and self-sufficiency. I would also like to avoid ranged target (despite it being my favourite style of play in other RPGs), as I fail at using it in DDO.

Right now, I'm trying to decide between two builds, but any other suggestions would be great.

Currently leaning towards The Mighty Protector (L18 Paladin/L1 Fighter /L1 Rogue )

I like it for the Open Locks, but I can't recall if that will work on all locks I'll find in solo content, or even most of them.

On the other hand, there is The Truthbringer.

My question is: Has U9 changed anything major in the builds that's not covered in the build descriptions? And is the L20 capstone worth dropping the Rogue and fighter level in the Might Protector build, considering that I will be soloing 90% of the time? Well, that's not quite accurate, but my play time is erratic, so I can't say I'll always have a group, and I'd rather be able to do something rather than wait for people to be online.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Tihocan, if you need a hand with the wizard enhancements to give you a breakdown, gimme a shout here or through PM and I'll see if I can get a breakdown for you. Compared to the FAQs I've thrown down for the other game I play (or the super detailed list you have here) it should be child's play.
    Thanks for the offer, kinda busy atm, but I don't think I'll have much trouble either, I just need to do it

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Zharfie View Post
    Was reading through all the builds (yes, I'm bored!) when I noticed this...

Halfling Guile III requires Halfling Cunning III... halfling always needs the cunning of that level before they get access to the guile of that level... not sure if this problem exists in other builds
    Thanks noted.

Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 LastLast