Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gummi View Post
    you wont be doing epics for a while since you need to be lvl
    to enter epic difficulties. :P
    beside not even all quest will have a epic difficulty even though it have a box for it on the diff selection screen (in fact it mostly raid that do)

but yeah imo if i play rogue i prefer str as well, since they do deal great dmg even when not sneak attacking.

and about never getting hit well around lvl 10-13 or so you will get hit alway anyway by mobs no matter what kind of light armor you use (and you don't want to use medium and heavy armor as rogue since it disables evasion) at which point most ppl will be using robes/outfits for the magical effects on them since you can swap those instantly instantly and thus quickly get the right one on as the situation changes (that point might come a bit earlier for a str based rogue than a dex based though as you loosing a few points in AC there, but it wont be a lot earlier though) that doesn't count for rogues only though that count for pretty much all builds that not made to be tanks
    Thank u for the info what lvl would u suggest switching to robes?

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Bornafide View Post
    Thank u for the info what lvl would u suggest switching to robes?
    Typically the point where it starts becoming more difficult for any character to have a useful AC is Gianthold (around L13).

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Lerl View Post
    When I started DDO, I went a little nuts with alts. Now looking at them from a "can ________ make it to level 20?" point of view. Alts are 1/2 box, 1/2 custom. If it requires multiple feat exchanges, a complete enhancement re-spec, and they are still lacking, I figure they won't a/ Make it. b/ be any fun, and c/ be feasible. So the question is, so I delete, or just leave them where they are? Can I get all their gear to a viable alt on that server?
    Keep in mind Lesser and Greater Reincarnation let you re-do stats / feats / skills, and swap a limited number of classes. This can "fix" a lot of broken builds. If you have at least one character rich enough, you can even buy a reincarnation token from another player if you don't want to buy from the store with TPs.
    Obviously it's only worth it if the character has some nice bound-to-char loot, and/or is high level and you don't want to restart from scratch.

I hope you get to work on the Bastion of the Outlands path soon. Barbarians make surprisingly good tanks, and are by far the most noob-friendly tanks out there, since all they need to gear for to tank is Con and false life items for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancisP.Fancypants View Post
    The best PVP in this game happens in the forums. Usually when someone brings up the need for more PVP.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Guild Scribe

Talking My Alts...

I have way more than I can really do well playing. I took some of the builds you have done, and compared some of my alts, about half of them. While some of the stats are ok, I feel I am too far behind optimal to catch up, i.e. a lvl 6 Cleric with only extend and NO UMD, needs a multiple feat swap (4x) and a complete enhancement respec, and that doesn't cover the skill points. Even if I took over the leveling, I feel he is just too far behind to catch up. As none of my alts is over level 7, I feel it would be best to re-roll. There is some good gear, but I do have shared bank space, so...
    This is the case with all of the alts I compared. It it were 1 or 2, I would be OK with the work needed. Since I am new, and didn't have your builds to refer to, I made mistakes. On all of them. Big ones. I am not bull-headed enough to try to make them work. I don't know the game well enough yet.
    I rolled your fighter the other day and I love how he is running. I have pretty much soloed Korthos, up to hard. He is not squishy at all, and is what I would have liked my other alts to be.

Community Member

Default Human Tempest Rgr18/Rog1/Ftr1

(I sent a PM but I thought this might help other ppl too, so I'm posting in the thread instead)

I've currently just hit lvl 15 following your build on DDO and I'm wondering if it still makes sense to continue to max out UMD/Open Locks/Spot for the rest of the leveling to 20 (that IS what I'm supposed to do right?). I like the build so far. Since it is my first toon on DDO, I didnt know what I would need or like. Is there anyway to incorporate Search and DD to make him do traps? I think it's prolly too late to adjust but just thought I'd ask. I really like the build! Thanks!

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcatch22 View Post
    I hope you get to work on the Bastion of the Outlands path soon. Barbarians make surprisingly good tanks, and are by far the most noob-friendly tanks out there, since all they need to gear for to tank is Con and false life items for the most part.
    Sorry, I'm already slow on progress, and Bastion is definitely not a priority for me. I still have no idea how to make it work. There isn't much room for fanciness in Barbarian builds, and it'd probably end up being almost the same as Savage of the Wild, but enforcing Toughness. So not worth making a new build for it IMO.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Guild Scribe

Talking Vanguard Warrior Questions

In your build for the fighter, you have Human Adaptability as one of the enhancements that needs to be taken. At what level does that show up? My fighter is a level 3 and it is not currently available.

Are all of the AP taken in this build, or is there some small amount of flexibility here? I would like to take the healing enhancements and maybe the item defense ones as well.

Community Member

In your build for the fighter, you have Human Adaptability as one of the enhancements that needs to be taken. At what level does that show up? My fighter is a level 3 and it is not currently available.

Are all of the AP taken in this build, or is there some small amount of flexibility here? I would like to take the healing enhancements and maybe the item defense ones as well.
    Not the esteemed OP him/herself, but just thought I'd share a tip. You can check for enhancements and their cost easily by going to your character's enhancement tab, and checking the "Show unavailable enhancement" box" on the bottom right. Then it'll list out all the enhancements your character could possibly take and AP costs/minimum requirements for them.

Alternatively, you can go the Compendium (right above on this page!) - the second tab in between DDO.com/MyDDo and look for Enhancments. Or go to www.ddowiki.com. Both sites can give you a whole lot of infromation on enhancements/spells/feats/special abilities etc.

I love this thread, but to apply it to an actual build...this is what I do. I cut and paste the build I want to a blank page, change the font color so I can read it, print it, then build the toon on the character planner to get the enhancements in the right order and fiddle with it until I get the best progression I can come up with, print that and put it in my binder next to my headset.

This gives me a hardcopy reference to pull out when I go to the trainer and keeps me on track.

Keep up the great work!

Community Member

I suppose you are either playing it as human or half-elf right? otherwise you wont get to take them ever.
    if you are they come at lvl 5 and require you to have used at least 13 AP to take them
    These should not be the only enhancements in tihocan's list you can't get yet in fact i bet you can't see most yet

from first post in this topic:

Quote Originally Posted by tihocan View Post
    [*] Enhancements
    The enhancements listed in the builds are not a full list. There is a lot of freedom in how one can set up enhancements for each build, and a lot is a matter of personal preference. Those listed here are the most important ones to consider (the ranks given in the builds are the minimum ranks you should invest into, it is ok - and often a good idea - to get them to even higher ranks). For more information on enhancements, please read this post.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by MustangChaz View Post
    (I sent a PM but I thought this might help other ppl too, so I'm posting in the thread instead)

I've currently just hit lvl 15 following your build on DDO and I'm wondering if it still makes sense to continue to max out UMD/Open Locks/Spot for the rest of the leveling to 20 (that IS what I'm supposed to do right?). I like the build so far. Since it is my first toon on DDO, I didnt know what I would need or like. Is there anyway to incorporate Search and DD to make him do traps? I think it's prolly too late to adjust but just thought I'd ask. I really like the build! Thanks!
    Oops I replied in pm but forgot to reply here as well.

No, it's too late for you, you need to plan trap skills early if you want to be able to max them out (which is pretty much mandatory). You need a lesser / greater reincarnation if you want to get them now.

Community Member

For the Bastion of the Outlands build, which as far as I can see is what most barbarians should have to offer (ie massive amounts of HP) how about putting a twist on things? Stick with the normal barbarians ability to do decent damage and have lots of hit points, but then add in a focus on DR with a shield.

With that style you wont be top DPS (some gets sacrificed, mostly savings in enhancements and 3 feats on a combat style) but when things go wrong the barbarian will be able to intimi and turtle with enough DR to mitigate most melee attacks without the need for any raid gear, a +5 tower shield will be just fine.

I took a similar build off these forums years ago when i first wanted to try tanking, then tweaked it a little and came up with this:

http://www.allquests.com/question/36...y-to-tank.html

apologies for the quality of the link, its all i can find of my codemasters forum post.

As you can see the build will need an over-haul as its from lvl16 cap and based on the old crit range enhancements before the prestige enhancements were released.

I took that build to lvl17 after the cap raise, though by then i was using the great axe more than the shield. It was very easy to level up as the DR seemed to smoothly scale with the levels, unlike AC tanks with that massive jump in gianthold. My best tanking achievement with him was the named orthon in rainbow on elite. We lost our healer early on in the fight, so i turtled up and did my tanking bit. that gave the rogue enough time to pull the party back together with raise dead scrolls. In that fight my biggest drop in HP was when my rage ran out, the boss was only tickling me with just a +5 tower shield for defence.

Its very newbie friendly, very easy to level and gear, and doesnt give up too much DPS for a great panic button to help save a party from wiping. Tomes are modest and not essential. The ward of undeath is still nice to have for ghosts, but now of less use vs trolls as it wont stop their regen, no longer an essential but great if your lucky and get one.

Dwarf is the preferred race by far due to the shield DR enhancements. the build is quite simple in its essence. instead of 3 feats on THF or TWF you take 3 shield feats. on the enhancements you grab all the DR related ones first, then normal barbarian stuff second. whip out a shield and press intimi and you're suddenly a bastion of defence for your party. guards will proc even if you take zero damage, and a bit of shield bashing will help too. nothing will die fast in turtle mode, but magic aside the mobs will die before you do. its almost nerf bat worthy how easy it is to DR tank compared to AC tank, you do however have to be more situationally aware to keep your back safe.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Guild Scribe

Talking MY Bad...

I realized last night after I shut down that I could check those answers myself. Admitted Brain Freeze.

Thanks for bearing with me!

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperAlexEU View Post
    For the Bastion of the Outlands build, which as far as I can see is what most barbarians should have to offer (ie massive amounts of HP) how about putting a twist on things? Stick with the normal barbarians ability to do decent damage and have lots of hit points, but then add in a focus on DR with a shield.
    You're right, that's what would make most sense. It should remain viable, even though a a bit sub-optimal compared to a DPS-oriented build. I wouldn't bother with Improved Shield Bash though, unless it does something else than the DDOWiki description that says it only helps with AC. I guess the question is, does it make a difference DR-wise?

I currently have a Bastion-type barbarian build with full Tougnness enhancements and Con, as a Dwarf, and he doesn't pull bad DPS. He's no worse than a Fighter or Paladin tank in DPS mode. Since barbs don;t have room for many good feats, the only true tanking feat he has is SF:I. Hes not capped yet, but he hasn't had much trouble tanking most things, as he can get good burst DR for hairy situations. I also keep a tower shield around for when I really need massive DR.
    Last edited by Fishcatch22; 01-10-2011 at 04:46 PM.
    The best PVP in this game happens in the forums. Usually when someone brings up the need for more PVP.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by tihocan View Post
    You're right, that's what would make most sense. It should remain viable, even though a a bit sub-optimal compared to a DPS-oriented build. I wouldn't bother with Improved Shield Bash though, unless it does something else than the DDOWiki description that says it only helps with AC. I guess the question is, does it make a difference DR-wise?
    yeah, it lets you keep your DR (and immunity to special attacks) when bashing. sure its not essential, as bashing a monster is a very slow way to kill it, but its a lot more fun being able to hit back when in turtle mode.

normally if you shield bash you loose the DR bonus until the bash is over.

i'm not sure what the DPS gap would be as its never been planned out to lvl20. i know it will miss out on the nice glancing blow dmg of the THF chain. i expect it will miss out on some of the top tier DPS options in the enhancements too, though i dont know what as a lot has changed since i planned fump out.

whats nice though is its tested to lvl17 and is very newbie friendly in terms of gear. there is a learning curve when you work out how to protect your back, but the details of that can happily go in the notes section. it was the first non-squishy build i had, and i was very happy with it. i'm now trying to polish off a proper AC tank, been at lvl20 for a while and i'm still missing lots of important bits.

oh, one more thing, you could look into boosting the intimi on the build as its not up to raid standard. given a raid standard DR shield and raid standard intimi it could probably be the main tank quite happily. just a thought as that is a deviation from the newbie friendly stuff as it will depend on the right gear.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

I've been following the Necromancer build and got my Wizard to 19 recently--he'll be my first lvl 20 character, wooo!

The build says to take the Enlarge feat at lvl 20 but...is it really necessary? I'd like to run Epics on that character eventually (after I get him well geared up) and I know that people say that you need to go ArchMage to be useful in Epics, or need to get a Mass Hold DC of 36 at the very least.

So I was thinking of taking SF: Enchantment instead of Enlarge at lvl 20, and swapping out Greater Mental Toughness for GSF: Enchantment (my Wiz is human, hence the extra feat.) If I worked it out correctly, I should have that 36 Enchantment DC when I get to lvl 20. If I find myself needing more, I can always reset my Enhancements and go ArchMage for a bit :P

...Is this a good idea? Or is Enlarge a must when doing Epic quests/raids?

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Tuberculozis View Post
    I've been following the Necromancer build and got my Wizard to 19 recently--he'll be my first lvl 20 character, wooo!

The build says to take the Enlarge feat at lvl 20 but...is it really necessary? I'd like to run Epics on that character eventually (after I get him well geared up) and I know that people say that you need to go ArchMage to be useful in Epics, or need to get a Mass Hold DC of 36 at the very least.

So I was thinking of taking SF: Enchantment instead of Enlarge at lvl 20, and swapping out Greater Mental Toughness for GSF: Enchantment (my Wiz is human, hence the extra feat.) If I worked it out correctly, I should have that 36 Enchantment DC when I get to lvl 20. If I find myself needing more, I can always reset my Enhancements and go ArchMage for a bit :P

...Is this a good idea? Or is Enlarge a must when doing Epic quests/raids?
    Thanks, that's a very good point. The first version of that build was made quite a while ago, before Mass Hold was widely known as being very popular in Epics.
    I agree with you, and I'll probably modify the build to take SF: Enchantment at L20. Enlarge was taken mostly because I couldn't find anything useful, and it can sometimes help to land Otto's Irresistible Dance in Epics (but you can do fine without it).

You need to redo Master Mechanic to account for the fact it is now a ranged combat prestige, and significantly more useful than before.

Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast