Community Member

Default Crafting an instakill dual weapon set

Trying to get my Rogue 18/Ranger 2 assassin epic ready, starting with greensteel weapons. I figure that my DC 36 assassinate and vorpal sneak attacks would be well complimented by a dual Slay Living set for ultimate instakill-age. This is the combo I came up with:

Weapon 1
    Weapon 2

(Note that I have ITWF, OTWF and Improved Crit: Piercing, hence the dual Heavy Picks)

The highlights are: Slay Living on both weapons, +9 INT for a higher assassinate DC and *gasp* traps, +4 AC.

But then it occured to me if maybe it would be better to give the second weapon Enervation instead of Slay Living (e.g. something like this). The rationale here is that epic mobs presumably (but I might be wrong on this one) have high enough Fort saves to overcome the DC 30 on SL, so the lower saves bestowed by Enervation could increase my overall success rate. Basically, it's better to succeed on SL once than fail twice. But then, maybe Enervation doesn't proc often enough to really make a difference, so I'd be better off hitting them with weapons that deal CON damage first, then switch to the dual SL set?

What would you recommend?

[ ] Dual SL set (with dual wounding/puncturing set, which I currently don't have)
    [ ] SL/Enervation combo
    [ ] Other

you are a rogue, you go radiance, everything else would be stupid
    after youve made yourfirst, test it abit and youll see that you want a second too

slay living is one of the more useless effectgs out there cause it triggers only 5% of the time. grab a vorpal, same effect but without the save
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    *insert axe*
    o o

Epic mobs are immune to Slay Living from all sources (from weapons and from the spell).

Use whatever you'd use on the rednameds (the Lieutenants) in the Shroud for DPS, plus Weighted 5% weapons to set up several seconds of automatic hits and criticals. Radiance is bugged at the moment (when used in conjunction with immobilizing crowd control such as Otto's Irresistable Dance) so while it's OK, it's not as good in Epics as it is in, say, Amrath.

Plus you'll want weapons to break some more unusual DR's, such as a blunt set (holy/goodburst/no upgrade is a fine set if you go Greensteel, requires no larges).

The best all-around high DPS weapons in Epics are Lightning 2 weapons, and the best all-around trash beaters are +4-5 (elemental) Burst of Weighted 5% warhammers.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Epic mobs are immune to Slay Living from all sources (from weapons and from the spell).

Use whatever you'd use on the rednameds (the Lieutenants) in the Shroud for DPS, plus Weighted 5% weapons to set up several seconds of automatic hits and criticals. Radiance is bugged at the moment (when used in conjunction with immobilizing crowd control such as Otto's Irresistable Dance) so while it's OK, it's not as good in Epics as it is in, say, Amrath.

Plus you'll want weapons to break some more unusual DR's, such as a blunt set (holy/goodburst/no upgrade is a fine set if you go Greensteel, requires no larges).

The best all-around high DPS weapons in Epics are Lightning 2 weapons, and the best all-around trash beaters are +4-5 (elemental) Burst of Weighted 5% warhammers.
    Radiance works in Epic. Granted... if someone is using dance a lot, it has some kinks... but if you use aggro as CC, it won't hurt anything.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Visty View Post
    you are a rogue, you go radiance, everything else would be stupid
    QFT

I wouldn't make a second one myself, usually one is enough to blind everything pretty fast. If you don't need a boss DPS weapon (= Mineral II), then earthgrab would be a fun one to use with the radiance (and it's cheap). [Edit: Probably not great for Epic though]

Community Member

Well ain't that a b... Good thing I asked, huh?

Sneak attack does wonders at bypassing DR, and I'd like to stay away from massive DPS as I sometimes have too much of it already (wouldn't be a problem if diplomacy worked propely, but alas).

What's the connection between me being a rogue and Radiance? Does it have to do with sneak attacks of what?

Quote Originally Posted by suszterpatt View Post

What's the connection between me being a rogue and Radiance? Does it have to do with sneak attacks of what?
    From my understanding, A Critical hit will blind the enemy making the next attacks proc a sneak attack even if you have aggro.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valindria View Post
    From my understanding, A Critical hit will blind the enemy making the next attacks proc a sneak attack even if you have aggro.
    My entire playstyle revolves around avoiding aggro altogether, with pretty good success. So unless that also breaks sneak attack immunity, that's not very useful for me.

Looks like the closest I can get to an instakill effect is Earthgrab/Freezing Ice and x4 crits (but then neither of those is compatible with exceptional int, so the other would have to be Enervation).

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Very because I've seen it kick off only a handful of times, literally. Our normal joke is, "Well.. you're spent. Go rest now."

And pretty certain once a mob is blind, you get sneak attack every hit. Radiance also has the nice bit is that it is still useful on undead.

Sneak attack does wonders at bypassing DR, and I'd like to stay away from massive DPS as I sometimes have too much of it already (wouldn't be a problem if diplomacy worked propely, but alas).

Sneak Attack isn't enough bypassing DR when foes have really high DR.

Examples:

Epic Clay Golem - DR 40/Adamantine AND Blunt, immune to crits/sneak attack
    Epic Raiyum - DR 40/Blunt, immune to crits/SA
    Elite Arraetrikos - DR 60/Silver AND Good, 75% resistant to crits/SA

If you aren't beating DR on those foes, you aren't contributing.

Also, you should be able to mitigate aggro with Subtle Backstabbing, and survive a small amount of aggro too.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

The reason Radiance II is so strong is because on any successful critical hit you will blind your opponent and deal 4d6 light damage. There is NO save against this.

Once Blinded the opponent recieves a 50% miss chance to any attacks against you, AND every following hit you land on him is treated as a sneak attack, combine that with Crippling Strike and you deal 2 STR damage with each of those attacks as well. You can really cripple your opponent with this (unless they're a red or purple named boss)