Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Are you new to DDO:EU? Recently returned after an absence?

Then this is the thread for you.

The purpose of this thread is to match up new and returning players with experienced players to shorten the learning curve. DDO is largely based on the rules familiar to those who played PnP yet with many surprises for those knowledgeable in PnP rules, builds and strategies.

The game is also different in its combat style from most MMOs and those coming from a different background might find the controls unwieldy, strategy confusing and "twitch" style unfamiliar.

DDO also offers an incredible variety in classes and build make-up. You can have a party of 12 barbarians and each one be completely different.

While these are all things that I love about the game the fact is it can be overwhelming for someone to log into the game as a new player. There is a lot to take in and absorb, and at the same time, when joining a group, the other party members often have certain "class expectations" when you join a party.

I can understand the shyness about asking for help but really there are many wonderfully skilled and helpful people in the game. Even people who come across as gruff on these boards are often more than happy to lend a hand to someone new to the game. See, were were all new once. And like you, we started with nothing, knowing nothing. The biggest difference is that we grew with the game, and as it evolved, so did we. The other, most important factor: we enjoy the game. That is why we are happy to take the time to answer questions, demonstrate techniques and go over build ideas. We learned the hard way, there is no reason why you should!

This thread is a continuation of work started by Mythe, a player originally from Riedra. The banner was subsequently picked up by Levonestral. Due to RL he is no longer able to maintain the thread.
    Khyber
    R e v e n a n t s Renowned
    Thelanis

Default Mentors Available Per Server

Argonnessen

Forum name: WICCANSOUL Active
    In game: Wiccansoul
    Time: random
    Classes: Knowledgeable in all except Monk. Best in Casters
    Comment: Guild Leader of The Wiccan's Inn on Argo Server (Lvl 51 and recruiting). Been with DDO since Beta Testing and can offer help with starting builds from lvls 1, 4 and 7 and Iconic toon creations.

Forum name:
    Daemoneyes
    In game: Taenebrae (PM), Daemoneyes (gimped melee), Daemonheart (sorc),
    Classes: atm Arcane and Rogue types
    Comment: no Ears (nearly Deaf), Argo is main but have lvl 16 on each Server for favor farming

Forum name: Darko.87
    In-Game: Miac Spellweaver
    Time: I'm usually on from 6:00 PM (EST) to 9:00 PM (EST) on weekends, and on at random times during the weekend.
    Classes: Wizard and Sorcerer
    Comments: I would love to help new players, and I don't mind answering any questions. I may even be able to help out with gear.

Forum name: pelaaja Active
    Server: Argonnessen
    In-Game: Gulda, Grisdalli, Feenex La Petit, Likiim, Bauner, Minnan,Hjutre,Samman,Eventi, Varvora , and one favor farming guy ( Likiam )
    Time: I'm on usually 6 PM - 12 AM (GMT+3). On weekends sometimes all the way to 3 AM, too. But because it's my summer break now, I have pretty much all the time to be there, unless I'm playing Dragon's Dogma or some other games.
    Classes: I pretty much know all of the classes, and the splash effectiveness/multiclasses of them. Spells of both divines/arcanes I know quite well, too.
    Comments: I will gladly help new players. All you need to do is to hit me up in-game with a mail or PM to Grisdalli, Minnan or Samman (which i'm using the most at the moment). Be sure to add all of those 3 into your friend list if you want to talk to me. I'll look forward to our meeting ^^

Cannith

Forum name: dydzio0614 Active
    In-Game: Dydzio (wizard) / Dydzioo (monk/ranger archer)
    Time: GMT +1 (I play pretty much, bigger chance to find me on weekends)
    Classes: I know some stuff about everything, although I do not know very much about artificers/bards/rogues/divines.
    Comments: No ears (nearly deaf). I have a lot of experience in this game so I can help in building solid characters (if you aim for character usefulness). I can also answer all your questions about the game and tell you about balanced and unbalanced things in the game and game mechanics and many more. Ambitious players who plan to play a lot and want to be "one man army" can also find information they need. Since I do not read forums a lot I prefer people to send me a tell when I am online or send a mail using mailbox to both characters.

Forum name:
    Braegan Active
    In-Game: False, Troubadour, Instigator, Silothien, Braegan, Avandros
    Time: Usually on around 5-6pm EST.
    Classes: Pretty familiar with all of them. Tho I prefer melee and casters (divine & arcane).
    Comments: If you have trouble finding me in-game, send a forum pm and if I can't help over pm's I'll do my best to set up an in-game time to accomodate.

Forum name: Stoner81 Active
    In-Game: Horlath (Fighter), Pycke (Rogue), Jit (Monk), Masheenegun (Artificer), Kurack (TR character).
    Time: I play a lot and based in the UK so all times are GMT+0.
    Classes: Not a big fan of casters like Wizards and Sorcs, see the above mentioned characters for the stuff I like to play.
    Comments: I only play on Cannith, I generally run a lot of stuff while I am online so please take that in to consideration when asking for help since I could be right in the middle of something so it could take me a bit to get to you. If you send me a /tell in-game and I don't respond instantly please be patient, I could well be afk and left the client running or be tabbed back in to Firefox reading up on something.

Ghallanda

Forum name: Gunga Active
    In-Game: Gunga, Guanmagi, Guntheric, Boomph, Mothyr, Niis
    Time: week nights between 7PM - 12PM EST and most weekends
    Classes: I tend to stick mostly to high damage melee, Sorcs and a Clerics/FvSs
    Comments: I play often. I've rolled many, many different characters but lately. I like to move quickly, but don't mind answering questions.

Forum name: Sirea Active
    In-Game: Sohryu, Maiah, Zorya, Tabris, Sauza, Egobrain, Rosmerta
    Time: In-game evenings EST, Forums most other times
    Classes: Most comfortable mentoring for: Cleric, Favored Soul, Wizard (Pale Master), Sorcerer, Bard, Ranger (Tempest and Arcane Archer), Monk (Light), Rogue and Paladin
    Comments: Don't be discouraged if you send me a /tell in-game and I don't respond right away, I have a bad habit of going AFK while the game is running, or I could be tabbed out to Firefox and not paying attention

Forum name: valorik Active
    In-Game: Arannel, Cocobolo, Lorithin, Aqueous, Olrick, Brunhellan, Loaken
    Time: Various times, normally on in the morning and early evenings, often on late night as well
    Classes: Mostly healers, but I play everything
    Comments: Feel free to contact me via the forums, or in game, I browse the forums at work, so expect a quick answer at most times of the day.

Forum name: Plaidpooka
    In-Game: Gazardiel, Urielle, Seraphielle, Azraellai, Sofiel
    Time: Variable, but Sunday and Monday afternoons and evenings I'm usually on.
    Classes: Sorc, Palladin, Ranger, Favored Soul, Cleric I do a little Rogue, but I'm still learning.
    Comments: Race most familiar with- Drow [Edit: Why??? ] Feel free to friend me and send me a tell with questions.

Forum name: thezosh
    In-Game: Combatsoul, Reanimator, Tommygun, Gremlin.
    Time: 6-12 EST ( i think) and most of the time on the weekends.
    Classes: I prefer self healing melee, archers, and fvs casters.
    Comments: I love to multi-class and have fun. pm me in game or on the forum with questions or if you need help.

Khyber

Forum name: Asketes
    In-Game: Permaraged Permaslayer Permadoc Permawarrior Holykrap Fawltypicks Demiknight Permapoet Permapyro
    Time: **A LOT** I'm on at random times, Tues/Thurs not between 5 and 10:30 PST
    Classes: Just about everything
    Comments: I play often. I've rolled many, many different characters. I like to move quickly, but don't mind answering questions. I love to help those who like to learn this game, don't ask if you don't want to know. I understand that advice isn't always meant to be taken. I am very set in my ways, don't let my way of playing discourage you, I am known to be very friendly and fun to play with, just talkative Send me a tell on any of these toons, sometimes I don't get a message if I am fighting or in the midst of a quest. I also can be forgetfull, if I respond and ask for a few minutes to finish a quest, just send me another tell in a bit. I promise I won't get mad.

Forum name: Lopnel Active
    In Game: Styphathal
    Classes: any
    Comments: Been on regularly since Update 1. Love to teach, advise and help with builds. Acting as a recruiting officer for Homeboys of Stormreach which is a laid back and relaxed guild with a focus on new and returning players.
    Will take the time to step aside and answer those tough questions.

Forum name: Aranticus
    In Game: shurugar fortius urden feifung cylene fortina
    Time: Asian/Aussie ~ US EST 0600-1100
    Classes: any
    Comments: I spend some time each day either giving away loot in hide and seek or sell stuff to house d broker for new players to pick up. Please send me a PM if you want to contact me directly.

Forum name: BlackSteel Active
    In-Game: Shadowsteel Azuresteel Gildedsteel
    Classes Preferred: I prefer Barbarian, Favored Soul, Cleric and Monk but can give general guidance with other classes as well.
    Comments:

Forum name: Etelan
    In-Game: Samond, Kelav, Zebonus, Nerem
    Classes: Any
    Comments: Near perfect favor record (about 20 points short). Started DDO on launch day. Experienced in PnP 3.5 and 4e. Developer of the DDO weapon comparision tool, Barrage. Officer of The Hand of the Black Tower.

Forum Name: Stormdum
    In Game: Triaja, Hailbop, Draisen,
    Time: 10am-10pm CST
    Classes: Arcane/Divine
    Comment: My areas of expertise are high end content and game mechanics. I also excel in arcane and divine character building and I can answer any number of questions regarding healing, casting and support classes. If I am not questing I may be available 1on1 for discussion regarding reincarnation, character planning and leveling advice. Send a tell or in-game mail to Triaja, Hailbop or Draisen.

Forum name: Wizzly_Bear Active
    In-Game: Dracosanct Dracofulgur Dracoanima Dracofuror Dracomuse Dracomagus, Dracocaelu, Dracoarilato
    Time: sporadic - primarily central US evenings and weekends
    Classes: I've played everything in game fairly extensively, but my strongest suit is definitely casting - especially clerics and wizards. If it matters... due to a much decreased amount of time playing lately I am a bit behind on end-game power play.
    Comments: I can create level 4's and 7's on any server to help as well

Orien

Forum name: Phem81
    In-Game: Phemt
    Time: varies

Forum name: Kokanee Active
    In-Game: Vyking, Khant, Drower, Spectron, Squasher
    Time: week nights between 7PM - 12PM MNT and most weekends
    Classes: All classes (If i don't know it I will quickly find someone who does)
    Comments: I play Daily. I'm always about to TR one of my guys so if you are a new player and want to stick around on a fast paced leveling journey to lvl 20: Be my guest. I don't mind answering questions if asked politely.

Sarlona

Forum name: Partydeluxe Active
    In-Game: Partydeluxe, Axess, Nimmuz, Roboboogie, Partywiz, (Crafter: Partyartie)
    Time: primarily Thursdays thru Sundays, EU (Dutch) time evenings and nights (later = usually moar drunk, its weekend..)
    Classes: Extensive experience with: Bards, rangers, clerics, sorcs and also wizard to some extend.
    Comments: Played about 8 hours a day for ~2 years when I should have been busy getting a geology degree When I finally did however I also got a job and I now notice it messing with my playtime, so I'm mostly just online in the weekends. That job does not prevent me from actively strolling the build-sections on these forums however so I should have sufficient knowledge on other classes as well. Fastest contact in-game (/tell and mention this post), slower with forum PMs but also possible.[/QUOTE]

Forum name: Gordgray
    In-Game: MissJoAnna, Gordgray, Twigen, Silentgray, Oship, Missleorna, Iamser
    Classes: Rogue
    Comments: the Rogus guild is and has been helping any one that is welling to learn by doing.

Forum name: ArthnoxxActive
    In-Game: Arthnoxx
    Time: Afternoons CST, almost all day on weekends.
    Classes: I'm your your man for ranged or melee. Casters... eh not so much
    Comments: Feel free to send a tell or forum PM whenever you need help. I'll reply as fast as I can. I've been doing a lot of TR leveling so I'm a little gimped on current endgame. Also, I'm an editor for DDOwiki.

Forum name: Elixxer Active
    In-Game: Elixerr, Exiile
    Classes: Ranger
    Comments: I have been playing DDO 2+ years now. I know a lot of pros and cons, and if I don't know it I can find out for you. I enjoy helping people. Send me in-game mail or a tell to any characters in my sig, sending a forum msg will work but expect a slower response. I should be able to find anything you need somewhere even if I don't already know. Broccoli.

Thelanis

Forum Name: MuleAxe Active
    In Game: MuleAxe, MuleRaptor, MuleFort, MuleFist, MuleCures
    Time: 6-1 0 PM US Eastern
    Classes Preferred: Experience with all classes, and feel comfortable helping with anyone of them.
    Comments: Thelanis Server. My individual play style is fast, and can tone it down for newer folks getting used to the content. More than happy to answer questions in-game, via forum PM, or however the question gets to me.

Forum Name
    : Biggin Active
    In Game: Bigggin, Bigginhoss, Bigginhos, Bigginmule
    Time: M-F, 8AM - 4PM CST
    Classes Preferred: Cleric
    Comments: Mic required.

Forum name: Gorloch
    In Game: Pixa, Healza, Casstza, Nodda, Biteza, Lotsa, Singza, Smiteza, Kickza, Notza
    Time: evenings after 7PM PST
    Comments:

Forum Name: kebomatic
    In Game: Algrimm
    Time: Mornings, GMT
    Classes Preferred: Sorcerer
    Comments:

Forum name: Levonestral Active
    In-Game: Many alts
    Time: I play mostly evenings in the Eastern Time zone.
    Comments: Feel free to email/tell/PM me with any questions you may have. Have limited play time now, but will help out in game when possible.

Forum name: DoctorWhofan
    In-Game: Trissa Scully, Roselyn, Allura, Terrahh, Tnannet, Healbotatron, Sousake, Oncoming, Mulder, Kleo, Keatheran, Jennysmith, johnsmith, Kaname, Courwin, Caboose, Fatherabel, Heeroyuy
    Time: HST (Hawaiian Standard Time)
    Classes: Clerics, FvS, Paladins, Casters...Anything but straight melee and Barbarians
    Comments: If it just a question to needing a guide through Tempest's Spine , you can contact me on my alts, through my guild, Merc's Only (ask for Trissa) or PMs here. Love slow, love optionals, and LOVE showing people the game and willing to invest time into helping!

Forum name: Enir Active
    In-Game: Akme, Katspaw, Katbird, Katzenjammer, Bullsaye
    Time: 4-6 p.m., 9-11 p.m. EST
    Classes: Rogue, Cleric or Favored Soul, Comfortable up to lvl 9
    Comments: I don't play wizards/ sorcerers well. I love rogues and clerics. People can send me mail or message me in game.

Forum name : Soloman
    In game : Solobot, Sistasole, Pashadenali, Medie
    Time: Vary but mostly in the early evening CST
    Classes: Most
    Comment: I am an experienced player but not a power gamer. I can teach tactics and give build advice to new players and help answer some questions and grind quests for the returning veteran player.

Forum name: DakFrost Active
    In Game: Likely, Lastly, Leastly, Lithely, Loathly, Loudly, Largely
    Time: some evenings and weekends
    Classes:
    Comments: I've been playing for awhile but always fairly casually. I usually have a few low level alts that I can run the low level content and am happy to help any new players. I'll also gladly reward any new players that take the time to write up a Bio.

Forum name: Sleepsalot Active
    In-Game: Sleepsalota mostly
    Time: I am on just about any time day or night do to health issues
    Classes: Any have tried them all But FvS is now my Main
    Comments: I enjoy helping new players. I don't mind answering any questions. I may even be able to help out with gear.
    I do monitor General Chat most times if not in a Quest. And try to help any who ask for some advice if I am not sure I will go to the Wiki and look stuff up.
    Last edited by Clay; 07-15-2015 at 07:58 AM.
    Khyber
    Thelanis

reserved 2
    Khyber
    Thelanis

reserved 3
    Khyber
    Thelanis

reserved 4
    Khyber
    Thelanis

if i'm on the forums then probably offshore

I would be more than happy to help a new player get started. I only have made clerics, fvs, and one bard to this point, so I would like to help with those classes. I play mostly during the day, M-F, 8-4, CST, but occasionally hit some late nights/weekends as well. The only request I have from the players side is that they be able to hear voice chat. At the rate I type they would have been able to cap a character by the time I typed out how to get off Korthos.

Bigginhoss
    Bigginhos
    Bigggin
    Bigginmule

Thelanis
    Neg Ten, ruining your enjoyment of the game one quest at a time.

Community Member

Id love to help new casters. im online during the mornings (GMT). i have an adequate scope of the sorc class and im willing to help the new blood out.

In Game : Algrimm
    Server: Thelanis

confirm for blacksteel on khyber

IGN s are shadowsteel/azuresteel/gildedsteel

can help specifically with barb/fvs/clr/monks or generally with any class
    Shadowsteel [TR train wreck]

Thanks for picking this up, Clay.

CONFIRMED

Forum Name: Gunga
    Alts: Gunga, Guanmagi, Guntheric, Boomph, Mothyr, Niis

Comments: I play often, week nights between 7PM - 12PM EST and most weekends. I've rolled many, many different characters but lately, I tend to stick mostly to high damage melee, Sorcs and a Clerics/FvSs. I like to move quickly, but don't mind answering questions.

Server - Thelanis
    Class - Rogue, Cleric or Favored Soul
    Characters - Katress, Katbird, Katzenjammer, Bullsaye
    Play times - 4-6 p.m., 9-11 p.m. EST
    Last edited by Enir; 02-14-2010 at 07:42 AM.
    Where is my Iludium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator?

Community Member

Default Download Help

when i downloaded DDO i saved half of the data to my hard drive and half to a flash drive..... how do i get the data from the flash drive to my hard drive and make the program know its there?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowslayer98 View Post
    when i downloaded DDO i saved half of the data to my hard drive and half to a flash drive..... how do i get the data from the flash drive to my hard drive and make the program know its there?
    That is a technical issue better handled by Turbine staff... you can submit a ticket for technical assistance. Look up at the banner... just below in the center is a link called Game Support, try there.

This thread is for in game help: builds, strategies, game-play.

Good luck with your problem.
    Khyber
    Thelanis

Count me in Clay.

Forum name: Wizzly_Bear
    In-Game: Wizzly, Draco?????? ir'Dracokhan
    Classes: I've played everything in game fairly extensively, but my strongest suit is definitely casting - especially clerics and wizards. If it matters... due to a much decreased amount of time playing lately I am a bit behind on end-game power play.
    Comments: I prefer fast, fun, and challenging. If mentoring while running a quest I will allow the new person to experience it without spoiling all the surprises. After running it once or twice though I would explain the advantages of doing it several times quickly as opposed to 1-time with max xp from optionals.

Khyber

Forum name: ASKETES
    In-Game:

Permaraged - Lvl 20 Dwarf (18 Barb / 2 Fighter) Two Weapon Fighting

Permaslayer - Lvl 20 Warforged Wizard

Permadoc - Lvl 16 Human Favored Soul

Permawarrior - Lvl 11 Warforged Barbarian Two Handed Fighting

Holykrap - Lvl 10 (9 Paladin / 1 Rogue) Warforged Paladin Two Handed Fighting

Fawltypicks - Lvl 20 (13 rogue / 6 fighter / 1 monk) Warforged Acrobat Kensei Staff User (Two Handed Fighting)

Demiknight - Lvl 20 Fighter Two Weapon Fighting High Armor Class and Damage output

Permapoet - Lvl 12 Human Bard Warchanter

Permapyro - Lvl 4 Warforged Sorcerer

Time
    : **A LOT** I'm on at random times, Tues/Thurs not between 5 and 10:30 PST
    Classes: Just about everything
    Comments: I play often. I've rolled many, many different characters. I like to move quickly, but don't mind answering questions. I love to help those who like to learn this game, don't ask if you don't want to know. I understand that advice isn't always meant to be taken. I am very set in my ways, don't let my way of playing discourage you, I am known to be very friendly and fun to play with, just talkative Send me a tell on any of these toons, sometimes I don't get a message if I am fighting or in the midst of a quest. I also can be forgetfull, if I respond and ask for a few minutes to finish a quest, just send me another tell in a bit. I promise I won't get mad.
    (Perma) - Khyber - Official Helpers Guild Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is an extremely valuable party buff.

don't be shy to use the experience and insight of experienced players!

Much more satisfying to go into quests with a solid strategy, build and technique than struggling to complete basic quests.
    Khyber
    Thelanis

How 'new' are we talking? I started playing in December and still have plenty to learn about the game. Ive run 4 different characters to the 9-14 level range to try and get a better grasp of the early-mid game content but have yet to run anything significant past this point. I want to start moving forward with the higher level content but dont want to noob it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ArichValtrahn View Post
    How 'new' are we talking? I started playing in December and still have plenty to learn about the game. Ive run 4 different characters to the 9-14 level range to try and get a better grasp of the early-mid game content but have yet to run anything significant past this point. I want to start moving forward with the higher level content but dont want to noob it up.
    New is a relative term! I have seen people, who have been around forever, still waiting by the door in the shroud3!

If you are on Thelanis I would be happy to help you. If you are on a different server, please indicate which one, and either wait for a reply from one from that server, or send a PM.

If there is no Mentor listed, please let me know what server you are on, and I will roll a lvl 4 on it to meet up.
    Khyber
    Thelanis

Community Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Then this is the thread for you.

The purpose of this thread is to match up new and returning players with experienced players to shorten the learning curve. DDO is largely based on the rules familiar to those who played PnP yet with many surprises for those knowledgeable in PnP rules, builds and strategies.

The game is also different in its combat style from most MMOs and those coming from a different background might find the controls unwieldy, strategy confusing and "twitch" style unfamiliar.

DDO also offers an incredible variety in classes and build make-up. You can have a party of 12 barbarians and each one be completely different.

While these are all things that I love about the game the fact is it can be overwhelming for someone to log into the game as a new player. There is a lot to take in and absorb, and at the same time, when joining a group, the other party members often have certain "class expectations" when you join a party.

I can understand the shyness about asking for help but really there are many wonderfully skilled and helpful people in the game. Even people who come across as gruff on these boards are often more than happy to lend a hand to someone new to the game. See, were were all new once. And like you, we started with nothing, knowing nothing. The biggest difference is that we grew with the game, and as it evolved, so did we. The other, most important factor: we enjoy the game. That is why we are happy to take the time to answer questions, demonstrate techniques and go over build ideas. We learned the hard way, there is no reason why you should!

This thread is a continuation of work started by Mythe, a player originally from Riedra. The banner was subsequently picked up by Levonestral. Due to RL he is no longer able to maintain the thread.
    ill crush you

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    If you are on Thelanis I would be happy to help you. If you are on a different server, please indicate which one, and either wait for a reply from one from that server, or send a PM.
    I play on Khyber. I have 4 characters that I play more often than the rest and they are listed below in my sig.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Looks like Thelanis has plenty of mentors, so I'll offer up help for Cannith.

Forum: Braegan
    In Game: False, Troubadour, Instigator
    Time: Generally a nite-owl, after 11 pm EST. Sometimes found earlier on days off.
    Classes: Pretty familiar with all of them. Tho I prefer melee and casters (divine & arcane).
    Comments: If you have trouble finding me in-game, send a forum pm and if I can't help over pm's I'll do my best to set up an in-game time to accomodate.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast