Default Can a weapon have both cold and fire effects?

What happens if you add cold effect to a flame weapon? Or use flame ammunition with a cold effect bow? Do effects cancel out or add up (assuming the target is vulnerable to both)?

don't know the answer but it would be cool to see a blue flame on a big honkin' great axe.
    Move along , Nothing to see here

Question Hmmm...

Wasn't such a weapon known as "Coldfire" around for a while? I'm old and forgetful, but I thought it might have been a bastard sword... The more I think about it, it might have been from a module in PnP...
    Founder #9518
    The problem with being punctual is that no one is there to appreciate it...

Yes you can have both.

For example a cold bow with fire arrows would do 1d8 + 1d6 Cold +1d6 Fire.

Community Member

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    What happens if you add cold effect to a flame weapon? Or use flame ammunition with a cold effect bow? Do effects cancel out or add up (assuming the target is vulnerable to both)?
    It does both fire and cold damage

Same

Add up

With the Risia ice games giving the ability to add frost damage to weapons, I now have (and I'm guessing plenty of other people have similar) a Long Sword of Frost, Flaming Burst, and Pure Good. When (well, if....) I ever get a recipe Number 5 it'll have Icy Burst and Flaming Burst on the same weapon. I was using it fine yesterday, and you do get both the cold and the fire damage pop up.

If you use cold amo with a flame weapon (or vice versa) you get both fire & cold damage on the weapon in fact it is possible to get multiple types of damage on a single arrow, I for example have a True chaos frost bow on my Drow rogue & use fire arrows with it thus Fire, chaos & cold all on one arrow. You can tell because when you hit a target it shows the physical, fire, ice and chaos damage numbers separately (if you have your UI set that way). As for adding cold damage to a fire weapon I am inclined to believe that they stack but I guess it depends on how you add the damage though I can't envision a scenario in which you could add cold damage to a weapon in a way that would result in canceling out any existing fire damage.

For the record I have seen Axiomatic, True chaos, Pure good and Pure evil (Yes there is such a thing) all on the same sword so it is possible to have opposing damage types on the same weapon. Granted it was a green steel item & had like 7 other mods but the point is, it's possible.

Eternium (Art 18), Tatooine (Bard 19), Technodrome (Wiz 18 / Rog 2), Thanigar (Brb 14)

I was able to add cold then Frost to my +4 Flaming Burst handwraps of bleading. It did change the look of the weapon to look like a cold weapon but every hit still took bothe fire and cold and bleading to the the mob.
    Life is just a candle and a dream
    Must give it flame :Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Garumn View Post
    Wasn't such a weapon known as "Coldfire" around for a while? I'm old and forgetful, but I thought it might have been a bastard sword... The more I think about it, it might have been from a module in PnP...
    I believe it used to drop from the Abbot raid.

Nvm, was thinking of this from tome quest

Twinblade - (Weapon) +5 Bastard Sword (Base dmg: 2d8), Greater Goblinoid Bane, Greater Orc Bane, Anarchic, Axiomatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Philam View Post
    I nominate you as head developer of DDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.
    Concentrated power is the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Community Member

I'm thinking it may be better to not put cold effect onto a flaming weapon.
    For cases where you use cold for purple damage vs fiery monsters. The flaming they'd be immune
    and vice versa for cold based monsters.
    Maybe better to put cold on a weapon with shock, acid or possibly wounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Perspicacity View Post
    For the record I have seen Axiomatic, True chaos, Pure good and Pure evil (Yes there is such a thing) all on the same sword so it is possible to have opposing damage types on the same weapon. Granted it was a green steel item & had like 7 other mods but the point is, it's possible.
    Gary Gygax must be rolling in his grave...

I like putting the frost burst on Holy silver of pure good or Metalline of pure good or Metalline of Maiming just to add some extra damage to it.

I have also added it to Paralyzers and vorpals for the extra damage.

Of course the problem is not it looks like I am carrying mostly frost weapons

Made a double bursting icy/flaming of greater elemental bane. Both damage types work fine.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

OTOH, unless I am missing something, Frost ammo with a <anything> Frost <anything> bow (or Fire ammo with <anything> Fire <anything> bow) becomes redundant. You still only inflict 1d6 cold (or fire) damage.

Ranged weapons, yes! Incl arrows.

New cold burst, yes, but the icon of weapon changes to a frost based symbol.

As for GS crafting, why would you want to?

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    Gary Gygax must be rolling in his grave...
    Not likely because axomatic and true chaos are not possible on greensteel. Let alone if you are talking only damaging attributes being placed on greensteel... I think the max is 4 different sets of dice rolls.

Or it may be that poster was originally from Codemasters and they pulled some really broken stunts over there.
    Last edited by Missing_Minds; 02-15-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post
    Ranged weapons, yes! Incl arrows.

New cold burst, yes, but the icon of weapon changes to a frost based symbol.

As for GS crafting, why would you want to?
    Which message were you replying to?

Community Member
    1000 miles from nowhere and 2 feet from hell

Smile Fire and Ice Blast

Sounds like a neat thing to try anyone happen to know what the crafting mats might be to put 1d6 fire on a weapon?