Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 71
  1. #21
    Community Member Shankd_Dream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Woonsocket, RI
    Posts
    61

    Default

    perfect just like my rig, 4gb is all u need on ram btw. I use as a rule of thumb to also save money and energy costs, 1gb of ram per cpu core

  2. #22
    Hero uhgungawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    I can see Russ.. I mean Turbine HQ from my front porch
    Posts
    2,540

    Default

    Did you remember the little things, like a tower or are you using your old one. Does that CPU come with a fan (even if it does, you might want a better one)
    ........................................... I <3 22/7
    Sassy, Babbette, Migette, Snip, Phatass, Bimbette, Sassette, Wentch, Duelingbanjo, Jaillbait, Sticki *WARNING* ALL PM'S ARE OPEN TO POSTING *WARNING*
    When asking for buffs, always ask for the Axer Package

  3. #23
    Founder Freeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    5,337

    Default

    I'd definitely go with a solid-state drive as your main drive. They are pricey, but the performance difference is well worth it. My wife's running one of these, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148318, and I'm extremely jealous.(It, or a similar drive, will be part of my next computer upgrade)
    Freeman - Human Bard - Thelanis Fulfilling my duty to the ladies of Stormreach
    Yuvben(Halfling Rogue), Acana(Drow Sorcerer), Walket(Human Cleric), Mahoukami (WF Wizard), Knicapper(Horc Fighter), Pyetr(Human Bard), Mazinger (WF Barb), and Belcar(Halfling Ranger).

  4. #24
    Hero uhgungawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    I can see Russ.. I mean Turbine HQ from my front porch
    Posts
    2,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
    I'd definitely go with a solid-state drive as your main drive. They are pricey, but the performance difference is well worth it. My wife's running one of these, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148318, and I'm extremely jealous.(It, or a similar drive, will be part of my next computer upgrade)
    Looks like he's going for good on the cheep. A solid state drive fits the good part but not the cheep part

    Over all looks fine. Don't forget thermal paste. And if you are getting a tower as well get a full tower if you have the space for it. better air flow and WAY more room to work with.
    ........................................... I <3 22/7
    Sassy, Babbette, Migette, Snip, Phatass, Bimbette, Sassette, Wentch, Duelingbanjo, Jaillbait, Sticki *WARNING* ALL PM'S ARE OPEN TO POSTING *WARNING*
    When asking for buffs, always ask for the Axer Package

  5. #25

    Default

    I will agree with many, don't go with that Rosewill Power Supply, buy something good.

    I really like the coursair stuff, seems to be the best power supplies out there right now, Antec would also be a good choice.

    You could get this for less money and probably be much better off. It would run your planned rig fine.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003&cm_re=coursair-_-17-139-003-_-Product


    Don't get taken in by huge wattage numbers being better.

  6. #26
    Community Member Sirea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,718

    Default

    Yea, those SSD drives are wicked expensive What exactly is the benefit of them over other that warrants such a high price?

    Yes, as stated last page the CPU does come with a fan and heatsink, although it's been recommended I get another fan for it as well.

    A 450W Power supply would be enough, huh? I guess I figured overshooting was better to make sure it was enough. But I guess you have to worry about power usage as well, so as long as the 450W will be enough, I'll ditch the 700W one.

    How's this for a full tower: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119160

    The consensus seems to be that 8G RAM is the way to go, and having more RAM doesn't really hurt, right?
    * Sohryu * (Life #25: 13 BRD / 1 FTR / 1 ROG)
    Completionist // Epic Completionist // Triple Iconic Completionist
    Ravensguard (200) - Now in Flower Sniffer Lavender

  7. #27
    Hero uhgungawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    I can see Russ.. I mean Turbine HQ from my front porch
    Posts
    2,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bashiba View Post
    I will agree with many, don't go with that Rosewill Power Supply, buy something good.

    I really like the coursair stuff, seems to be the best power supplies out there right now, Antec would also be a good choice.

    You could get this for less money and probably be much better off. It would run your planned rig fine.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003&cm_re=coursair-_-17-139-003-_-Product


    Don't get taken in by huge wattage numbers being better.
    Too small
    try these
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Sku=ULT-LSP650
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...567&CatId=2533
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirea View Post
    Yea, those SSD drives are wicked expensive What exactly is the benefit of them over other that warrants such a high price?

    Yes, as stated last page the CPU does come with a fan and heatsink, although it's been recommended I get another fan for it as well.

    A 450W Power supply would be enough, huh? I guess I figured overshooting was better to make sure it was enough. But I guess you have to worry about power usage as well, so as long as the 450W will be enough, I'll ditch the 700W one.

    How's this for a full tower: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119160

    The consensus seems to be that 8G RAM is the way to go, and having more RAM doesn't really hurt, right?
    You could get a cheaper one, but that is the best bang for the buck tower there is. It has massive air flow and all the fans are included
    ........................................... I <3 22/7
    Sassy, Babbette, Migette, Snip, Phatass, Bimbette, Sassette, Wentch, Duelingbanjo, Jaillbait, Sticki *WARNING* ALL PM'S ARE OPEN TO POSTING *WARNING*
    When asking for buffs, always ask for the Axer Package

  8. #28
    Hero uhgungawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    I can see Russ.. I mean Turbine HQ from my front porch
    Posts
    2,540

    Default

    And just a little FYI. first off, there are people here that know a ton more than me (so take what I say with a grain of salt). What you have listed is good and will last several years. Going good on the cheep with what you got will give you room to invest little bits later on. But here is a few suggestions.

    Get your Power supply from Tiger direct. An Ultra lp750 is $65.00 and has enough power to upgrade as you go. (and they are as good as any others)

    4 gigs of ram is plenty to start, but for a few bucks more you can get 4 gig sticks. this will let you go up to 16 gigs total if you choose.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820139046
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231310
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231307

    Vid card is fine and only takes 1 six pin. With the ultra 750 you'll be able to crossfire a second vid card easily
    ........................................... I <3 22/7
    Sassy, Babbette, Migette, Snip, Phatass, Bimbette, Sassette, Wentch, Duelingbanjo, Jaillbait, Sticki *WARNING* ALL PM'S ARE OPEN TO POSTING *WARNING*
    When asking for buffs, always ask for the Axer Package

  9. #29
    Community Member Sirea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,718

    Default

    I found these for 2 x 4G RAM, would they be alright?

    Tiger Direct didn't seem to have any 4G sticks (unless I wasn't looking properly, all I could find was 2G)

    Speaking of Tiger Direct, I've started cross-referencing prices and for the most part NewEgg seems to be cheaper on just about everything. I did find this slightly cheaper all-in-one card reader that had good reviews. There was also a cheaper set on Creative Labs speakers, but I do want good speakers for blasting rock and metal so I'd be willing to get the more expensive ones if you guys think they are better. I'm also planning on getting the 650W Power Supply that was recommended above, unless anyone has some serious objections. Even if it's a little more than what I need right now, at least it gives me some wiggle room if I decide to upgrade to more RAM or a second video card.

    Like I said, plan on getting things like keyboard and mouse out of an actual store, because I like to see close-up how they look and if they fit my hands and how the buttons are set up. But if anyone would like to recommend a keyboard or mouse that they have and like, then I can have an idea of what to look for when I go
    * Sohryu * (Life #25: 13 BRD / 1 FTR / 1 ROG)
    Completionist // Epic Completionist // Triple Iconic Completionist
    Ravensguard (200) - Now in Flower Sniffer Lavender

  10. #30
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    41

    Default

    For sound I highly recomend

    http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Ga.../ref=pd_cp_e_2

    Runs on USB with a build in sound card and Dolby 5.1 surround sound support.

  11. #31
    Hero uhgungawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    I can see Russ.. I mean Turbine HQ from my front porch
    Posts
    2,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirea View Post
    I found these for 2 x 4G RAM, would they be alright?

    Tiger Direct didn't seem to have any 4G sticks (unless I wasn't looking properly, all I could find was 2G)

    Speaking of Tiger Direct, I've started cross-referencing prices and for the most part NewEgg seems to be cheaper on just about everything. I did find this slightly cheaper all-in-one card reader that had good reviews. There was also a cheaper set on Creative Labs speakers, but I do want good speakers for blasting rock and metal so I'd be willing to get the more expensive ones if you guys think they are better. I'm also planning on getting the 650W Power Supply that was recommended above, unless anyone has some serious objections. Even if it's a little more than what I need right now, at least it gives me some wiggle room if I decide to upgrade to more RAM or a second video card.

    Like I said, plan on getting things like keyboard and mouse out of an actual store, because I like to see close-up how they look and if they fit my hands and how the buttons are set up. But if anyone would like to recommend a keyboard or mouse that they have and like, then I can have an idea of what to look for when I go
    I only found 4 gig sticks on Newegg and Amazon. You would only really want to go with them if you are planning to upgrade past 8 gigs. Any all in one should do. As far as the Power supply goes, you don't want to ever get the minimum needed. So your vid card is a min of 450 and 600 for 2 cards so the 650 is ok even if you upgrade.
    ........................................... I <3 22/7
    Sassy, Babbette, Migette, Snip, Phatass, Bimbette, Sassette, Wentch, Duelingbanjo, Jaillbait, Sticki *WARNING* ALL PM'S ARE OPEN TO POSTING *WARNING*
    When asking for buffs, always ask for the Axer Package

  12. #32
    Community Member wamjratl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChaelaAnne View Post
    And I STILL lose my pointer ALL the time.
    Noob.






    PS to Sirea: Maveriq<-------- jealous.
    Maveriq Wiley... Benefaqtor... Spyqe... Masqot Von Chaedence...
    Ghallanda


    Trade List

  13. #33
    Founder Justicar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    Posts
    894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirea View Post
    Yea, those SSD drives are wicked expensive What exactly is the benefit of them over other that warrants such a high price?

    Yes, as stated last page the CPU does come with a fan and heatsink, although it's been recommended I get another fan for it as well.

    A 450W Power supply would be enough, huh? I guess I figured overshooting was better to make sure it was enough. But I guess you have to worry about power usage as well, so as long as the 450W will be enough, I'll ditch the 700W one.

    How's this for a full tower: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119160

    The consensus seems to be that 8G RAM is the way to go, and having more RAM doesn't really hurt, right?
    That is a great tower. I just did a build using one and it was great to work in. Plenty of room and great air flow.

    I wouldnt recommend getting a 450w psu though. It might run the system as is but if you ever want to add another video card and run crossfire, you would have to get another psu as well. IMO it is always better to speed a few extra bucks up front so you wont have to upgrade it again.
    Arobot - Consummate - Katanee - Leatherneck - Tanaki - Thejusticar - Transcendent - Tufelhunden - Ultimatum
    Forsaken Souls Ghallanda

  14. #34
    Community Member Sirea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,718

    Default

    Hmm...I noticed a bit of a discrepancy between the 4G RAM that I posted last and the motherboard...the motherboard says it supports DDR3 1800(O.C.) / 1600 / 1333 / 1066, but the 4G sticks I had linked to are DDR2 800, so they are different types, right? So pretty much looks like I'm going to be splurging on RAM if I want to get the 4G sticks so I can have the flexibility to upgrade to 12G or even 16G if I want to down the road (I like flexibility ). So I guess I'm going to go with 2 of the DDR3 1333.

    BTW, OP has been updated with the new stuffs. Still undecided on the speakers.
    * Sohryu * (Life #25: 13 BRD / 1 FTR / 1 ROG)
    Completionist // Epic Completionist // Triple Iconic Completionist
    Ravensguard (200) - Now in Flower Sniffer Lavender

  15. #35
    Community Member Graark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirea View Post
    Yea, those SSD drives are wicked expensive What exactly is the benefit of them over other that warrants such a high price?

    Yes, as stated last page the CPU does come with a fan and heatsink, although it's been recommended I get another fan for it as well.

    A 450W Power supply would be enough, huh? I guess I figured overshooting was better to make sure it was enough. But I guess you have to worry about power usage as well, so as long as the 450W will be enough, I'll ditch the 700W one.

    How's this for a full tower: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119160

    The consensus seems to be that 8G RAM is the way to go, and having more RAM doesn't really hurt, right?

    I just bought that exact tower and I love it. I shut off the huge fan on the removable panel because of noise, however. The only thing to consider is the exposed top. Where are you placing this compared to where are you placing your drinks? This tower is huge btw. I just built my first system myself and there is plenty of room to configure stuff.

    You may also want to consider an I5 processor. I was doing a bang for the buck system and everything led me to the I5 over the I7. My 2.6 x4 AUTOMATICALLY overdrives to 3.2 without any overclocking. Oh, and the bench tests indicate that the I5 is better for gaming.

  16. #36
    Community Member Sirea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graark View Post
    I just bought that exact tower and I love it. I shut off the huge fan on the removable panel because of noise, however. The only thing to consider is the exposed top. Where are you placing this compared to where are you placing your drinks? This tower is huge btw. I just built my first system myself and there is plenty of room to configure stuff.

    You may also want to consider an I5 processor. I was doing a bang for the buck system and everything led me to the I5 over the I7. My 2.6 x4 AUTOMATICALLY overdrives to 3.2 without any overclocking. Oh, and the bench tests indicate that the I5 is better for gaming.
    Heh, I usually put my crafting notebooks and such on top of my current tower, as there are no fans or vents on the top of that one I'll have to find a new place to keep them when I upgrade. I guess my other worry is if the full tower will even fit into my desk at all I guess I could put the new tower on the side of my desk if I need to and use the tower space in my desk for my notebooks and things. Not a big deal at all.

    Do you have a particular processor you'd recommend?
    * Sohryu * (Life #25: 13 BRD / 1 FTR / 1 ROG)
    Completionist // Epic Completionist // Triple Iconic Completionist
    Ravensguard (200) - Now in Flower Sniffer Lavender

  17. #37
    Hero uhgungawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    I can see Russ.. I mean Turbine HQ from my front porch
    Posts
    2,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirea View Post
    Heh, I usually put my crafting notebooks and such on top of my current tower, as there are no fans or vents on the top of that one I'll have to find a new place to keep them when I upgrade. I guess my other worry is if the full tower will even fit into my desk at all I guess I could put the new tower on the side of my desk if I need to and use the tower space in my desk for my notebooks and things. Not a big deal at all.

    Do you have a particular processor you'd recommend?
    Going with an i5 is Intel, and you picked an AMD chip and mother board. Intel has a larger range (high and low) to pick from. But AND has more bang for the buck. The top of the line Intel is $999 and AMD is $185 So AMD will give you more bang for the buck.

    P.S. Your motherboard will not run the Phenom II X4 965 without a big hassle, so the 955 is the best choice

    **EDIT** the only other thing I noticed is that you've pick a 24" screen w/ 1080 res. Now this will work great and give you a great picture, But you picked a vid card that will goto 1600 res. Now 1600 res monitors cost mucho buckoes, but you might want to look at a 1200 if it fits your buget.
    Last edited by uhgungawa; 02-07-2010 at 04:10 PM.
    ........................................... I <3 22/7
    Sassy, Babbette, Migette, Snip, Phatass, Bimbette, Sassette, Wentch, Duelingbanjo, Jaillbait, Sticki *WARNING* ALL PM'S ARE OPEN TO POSTING *WARNING*
    When asking for buffs, always ask for the Axer Package

  18. #38
    Community Member SlipperyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by transtemporal View Post
    Sweet machine. I'm running almost exactly the same set-up but with i7, 8 gigs ram, 2 of the 1Tb caviar drives you specified there and 2x the slightly smaller 23" LED cousin of that monitor (XL2370 I think).

    The only thing I wish I'd put in there was a 128Gb solid state drive for the OS, games etc.

    I've been wanting to add an SSD for awhile but I just can't see spending that much money for what storage they have available at the moment. They are coming around slowly but surely. I'm guessing I'll make the plunge in about a year.

    dailytech.com does a great job of keeping up on that market if you're interested in another resource for input.
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearle Harbor?

  19. #39
    Community Member Gum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirea View Post
    I'm finally able to afford a new computer! Rejoice, for you guys will not have to wait 5 minutes for me to zone into an instance anymore! Yay!

    Well, I've been generally unsatisfied with the PCs I've bought from chain stores, they're nice for a while, but rapidly decline. So I've decided to build my own computer this time, for a few reasons:

    1. I know exactly what I'm getting
    2. To save a little bit of money
    3. It sounds fun!

    So I've been perusing Newegg.com the last couple days picking out components and such. I'm pretty new at this and did my best, but I'm not sure if all the things I picked are compatible, if I missed anything, or made any noob mistakes picking something that's really inferior or won't run DDO. So I'm hoping there's some tech junkies that can help me out a little bit

    My selections so far (*updated after receiving suggestions):
    ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
    *G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (2 of these, 8G RAM total) (up from 4G originally)
    SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    *Western Digital Caviar Blue WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (for programs, instead of 1 HD)
    *Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive (for file storage, instead of 1 HD)
    *Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan (changed from Rosewill on suggestions)
    Sony Optiarc Black DVD/CD Rewritable Drive
    Atech PRO-GEAR XM-5U All-in-One Internal Card Reader
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    *COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case (changed from Rosewill Mid Tower on suggestions)
    SAMSUNG 2494SW Glossy Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor

    Either this:
    Creative Inspire T3130 2.1 Speakers
    or this:
    Creative Labs Inspire A200 3-Piece Computer Speakers

    Little things like Keyboard and Mouse and Headphones I'll just get from Best Buy or wherever.

    I cringe a little because I'm sure I've made some horribly noobish mistake with my choices, so if you guys are a little mean or laugh at me I'll totally understand
    Congratz bud! I hope to do this in the future. I know it has to be a good feeling!
    **As the Great Emu is one with the hill, so am I with the Great Emu.**
    PlatinumKnightsddo.us

  20. #40
    Community Member Endrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Posts
    26

    Default Memory...

    About the only thing I can add is check out Crucial.com for memory...

    I've had great luck with them and their site can recommend memory based on
    the MB...

    --------------
    Morons are a dime a dozen I just wish someone would stop bringing so many dimes...
    I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload