Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

perfect just like my rig, 4gb is all u need on ram btw. I use as a rule of thumb to also save money and energy costs, 1gb of ram per cpu core

I can see Russ.. I mean Turbine HQ from my front porch

Did you remember the little things, like a tower or are you using your old one. Does that CPU come with a fan (even if it does, you might want a better one)
    ........................................... I <3 22/7
    Sassy, Babbette, Migette, Snip, Phatass, Bimbette, Sassette, Wentch, Duelingbanjo, Jaillbait, Sticki *WARNING* ALL PM'S ARE OPEN TO POSTING *WARNING*
    When asking for buffs, always ask for the Axer Package

I'd definitely go with a solid-state drive as your main drive. They are pricey, but the performance difference is well worth it. My wife's running one of these, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148318, and I'm extremely jealous.(It, or a similar drive, will be part of my next computer upgrade)
    Freeman - Human Bard - Thelanis Fulfilling my duty to the ladies of Stormreach
    Yuvben(Halfling Rogue), Acana(Drow Sorcerer), Walket(Human Cleric), Mahoukami (WF Wizard), Knicapper(Horc Fighter), Pyetr(Human Bard), Mazinger (WF Barb), and Belcar(Halfling Ranger).

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
    I'd definitely go with a solid-state drive as your main drive. They are pricey, but the performance difference is well worth it. My wife's running one of these, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148318, and I'm extremely jealous.(It, or a similar drive, will be part of my next computer upgrade)
    Looks like he's going for good on the cheep. A solid state drive fits the good part but not the cheep part

Over all looks fine. Don't forget thermal paste. And if you are getting a tower as well get a full tower if you have the space for it. better air flow and WAY more room to work with.
    Sassy, Babbette, Migette, Snip, Phatass, Bimbette, Sassette, Wentch, Duelingbanjo, Jaillbait, Sticki *WARNING* ALL PM'S ARE OPEN TO POSTING *WARNING*

I will agree with many, don't go with that Rosewill Power Supply, buy something good.

I really like the coursair stuff, seems to be the best power supplies out there right now, Antec would also be a good choice.

You could get this for less money and probably be much better off. It would run your planned rig fine.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003&cm_re=coursair-_-17-139-003-_-Product

Don't get taken in by huge wattage numbers being better.

Yea, those SSD drives are wicked expensive What exactly is the benefit of them over other that warrants such a high price?

Yes, as stated last page the CPU does come with a fan and heatsink, although it's been recommended I get another fan for it as well.

A 450W Power supply would be enough, huh? I guess I figured overshooting was better to make sure it was enough. But I guess you have to worry about power usage as well, so as long as the 450W will be enough, I'll ditch the 700W one.

How's this for a full tower: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119160

The consensus seems to be that 8G RAM is the way to go, and having more RAM doesn't really hurt, right?
    * Sohryu * (Life #25: 13 BRD / 1 FTR / 1 ROG)
    Completionist // Epic Completionist // Triple Iconic Completionist
    Ravensguard (200) - Now in Flower Sniffer Lavender

Quote Originally Posted by Bashiba View Post
    I will agree with many, don't go with that Rosewill Power Supply, buy something good.

I really like the coursair stuff, seems to be the best power supplies out there right now, Antec would also be a good choice.

You could get this for less money and probably be much better off. It would run your planned rig fine.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003&cm_re=coursair-_-17-139-003-_-Product

Don't get taken in by huge wattage numbers being better.
    Too small
    try these
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Sku=ULT-LSP650
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...567&CatId=2533
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirea View Post
    Yea, those SSD drives are wicked expensive What exactly is the benefit of them over other that warrants such a high price?

Yes, as stated last page the CPU does come with a fan and heatsink, although it's been recommended I get another fan for it as well.

A 450W Power supply would be enough, huh? I guess I figured overshooting was better to make sure it was enough. But I guess you have to worry about power usage as well, so as long as the 450W will be enough, I'll ditch the 700W one.

How's this for a full tower: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119160

The consensus seems to be that 8G RAM is the way to go, and having more RAM doesn't really hurt, right?
    You could get a cheaper one, but that is the best bang for the buck tower there is. It has massive air flow and all the fans are included

And just a little FYI. first off, there are people here that know a ton more than me (so take what I say with a grain of salt). What you have listed is good and will last several years. Going good on the cheep with what you got will give you room to invest little bits later on. But here is a few suggestions.

Get your Power supply from Tiger direct. An Ultra lp750 is $65.00 and has enough power to upgrade as you go. (and they are as good as any others)

4 gigs of ram is plenty to start, but for a few bucks more you can get 4 gig sticks. this will let you go up to 16 gigs total if you choose.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820139046
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231310
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231307

Vid card is fine and only takes 1 six pin. With the ultra 750 you'll be able to crossfire a second vid card easily

I found these for 2 x 4G RAM, would they be alright?

Tiger Direct didn't seem to have any 4G sticks (unless I wasn't looking properly, all I could find was 2G)

Speaking of Tiger Direct, I've started cross-referencing prices and for the most part NewEgg seems to be cheaper on just about everything. I did find this slightly cheaper all-in-one card reader that had good reviews. There was also a cheaper set on Creative Labs speakers, but I do want good speakers for blasting rock and metal so I'd be willing to get the more expensive ones if you guys think they are better. I'm also planning on getting the 650W Power Supply that was recommended above, unless anyone has some serious objections. Even if it's a little more than what I need right now, at least it gives me some wiggle room if I decide to upgrade to more RAM or a second video card.

Like I said, plan on getting things like keyboard and mouse out of an actual store, because I like to see close-up how they look and if they fit my hands and how the buttons are set up. But if anyone would like to recommend a keyboard or mouse that they have and like, then I can have an idea of what to look for when I go

Community Member

For sound I highly recomend

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Ga.../ref=pd_cp_e_2

Runs on USB with a build in sound card and Dolby 5.1 surround sound support.

I found these for 2 x 4G RAM, would they be alright?

Tiger Direct didn't seem to have any 4G sticks (unless I wasn't looking properly, all I could find was 2G)

Speaking of Tiger Direct, I've started cross-referencing prices and for the most part NewEgg seems to be cheaper on just about everything. I did find this slightly cheaper all-in-one card reader that had good reviews. There was also a cheaper set on Creative Labs speakers, but I do want good speakers for blasting rock and metal so I'd be willing to get the more expensive ones if you guys think they are better. I'm also planning on getting the 650W Power Supply that was recommended above, unless anyone has some serious objections. Even if it's a little more than what I need right now, at least it gives me some wiggle room if I decide to upgrade to more RAM or a second video card.

Like I said, plan on getting things like keyboard and mouse out of an actual store, because I like to see close-up how they look and if they fit my hands and how the buttons are set up. But if anyone would like to recommend a keyboard or mouse that they have and like, then I can have an idea of what to look for when I go
    I only found 4 gig sticks on Newegg and Amazon. You would only really want to go with them if you are planning to upgrade past 8 gigs. Any all in one should do. As far as the Power supply goes, you don't want to ever get the minimum needed. So your vid card is a min of 450 and 600 for 2 cards so the 650 is ok even if you upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaelaAnne View Post
    And I STILL lose my pointer ALL the time.
    Noob.

PS to Sirea: Maveriq<-------- jealous.
    Maveriq Wiley... Benefaqtor... Spyqe... Masqot Von Chaedence...
    Ghallanda

Trade List

That is a great tower. I just did a build using one and it was great to work in. Plenty of room and great air flow.

I wouldnt recommend getting a 450w psu though. It might run the system as is but if you ever want to add another video card and run crossfire, you would have to get another psu as well. IMO it is always better to speed a few extra bucks up front so you wont have to upgrade it again.
    Arobot - Consummate - Katanee - Leatherneck - Tanaki - Thejusticar - Transcendent - Tufelhunden - Ultimatum
    Forsaken Souls Ghallanda

Hmm...I noticed a bit of a discrepancy between the 4G RAM that I posted last and the motherboard...the motherboard says it supports DDR3 1800(O.C.) / 1600 / 1333 / 1066, but the 4G sticks I had linked to are DDR2 800, so they are different types, right? So pretty much looks like I'm going to be splurging on RAM if I want to get the 4G sticks so I can have the flexibility to upgrade to 12G or even 16G if I want to down the road (I like flexibility ). So I guess I'm going to go with 2 of the DDR3 1333.

BTW, OP has been updated with the new stuffs. Still undecided on the speakers.

I just bought that exact tower and I love it. I shut off the huge fan on the removable panel because of noise, however. The only thing to consider is the exposed top. Where are you placing this compared to where are you placing your drinks? This tower is huge btw. I just built my first system myself and there is plenty of room to configure stuff.

You may also want to consider an I5 processor. I was doing a bang for the buck system and everything led me to the I5 over the I7. My 2.6 x4 AUTOMATICALLY overdrives to 3.2 without any overclocking. Oh, and the bench tests indicate that the I5 is better for gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Graark View Post
    I just bought that exact tower and I love it. I shut off the huge fan on the removable panel because of noise, however. The only thing to consider is the exposed top. Where are you placing this compared to where are you placing your drinks? This tower is huge btw. I just built my first system myself and there is plenty of room to configure stuff.

You may also want to consider an I5 processor. I was doing a bang for the buck system and everything led me to the I5 over the I7. My 2.6 x4 AUTOMATICALLY overdrives to 3.2 without any overclocking. Oh, and the bench tests indicate that the I5 is better for gaming.
    Heh, I usually put my crafting notebooks and such on top of my current tower, as there are no fans or vents on the top of that one I'll have to find a new place to keep them when I upgrade. I guess my other worry is if the full tower will even fit into my desk at all I guess I could put the new tower on the side of my desk if I need to and use the tower space in my desk for my notebooks and things. Not a big deal at all.

Do you have a particular processor you'd recommend?

Heh, I usually put my crafting notebooks and such on top of my current tower, as there are no fans or vents on the top of that one I'll have to find a new place to keep them when I upgrade. I guess my other worry is if the full tower will even fit into my desk at all I guess I could put the new tower on the side of my desk if I need to and use the tower space in my desk for my notebooks and things. Not a big deal at all.

Do you have a particular processor you'd recommend?
    Going with an i5 is Intel, and you picked an AMD chip and mother board. Intel has a larger range (high and low) to pick from. But AND has more bang for the buck. The top of the line Intel is $999 and AMD is $185 So AMD will give you more bang for the buck.

P.S. Your motherboard will not run the Phenom II X4 965 without a big hassle, so the 955 is the best choice

**EDIT** the only other thing I noticed is that you've pick a 24" screen w/ 1080 res. Now this will work great and give you a great picture, But you picked a vid card that will goto 1600 res. Now 1600 res monitors cost mucho buckoes, but you might want to look at a 1200 if it fits your buget.
    Last edited by uhgungawa; 02-07-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by transtemporal View Post
    Sweet machine. I'm running almost exactly the same set-up but with i7, 8 gigs ram, 2 of the 1Tb caviar drives you specified there and 2x the slightly smaller 23" LED cousin of that monitor (XL2370 I think).

The only thing I wish I'd put in there was a 128Gb solid state drive for the OS, games etc.

I've been wanting to add an SSD for awhile but I just can't see spending that much money for what storage they have available at the moment. They are coming around slowly but surely. I'm guessing I'll make the plunge in about a year.

dailytech.com does a great job of keeping up on that market if you're interested in another resource for input.
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearle Harbor?

I'm finally able to afford a new computer! Rejoice, for you guys will not have to wait 5 minutes for me to zone into an instance anymore! Yay!

Well, I've been generally unsatisfied with the PCs I've bought from chain stores, they're nice for a while, but rapidly decline. So I've decided to build my own computer this time, for a few reasons:

1. I know exactly what I'm getting
    2. To save a little bit of money
    3. It sounds fun!

So I've been perusing Newegg.com the last couple days picking out components and such. I'm pretty new at this and did my best, but I'm not sure if all the things I picked are compatible, if I missed anything, or made any noob mistakes picking something that's really inferior or won't run DDO. So I'm hoping there's some tech junkies that can help me out a little bit

My selections so far (*updated after receiving suggestions):
    ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
    *G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (2 of these, 8G RAM total) (up from 4G originally)
    SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    *Western Digital Caviar Blue WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (for programs, instead of 1 HD)
    *Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive (for file storage, instead of 1 HD)
    *Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan (changed from Rosewill on suggestions)
    Sony Optiarc Black DVD/CD Rewritable Drive
    Atech PRO-GEAR XM-5U All-in-One Internal Card Reader
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    *COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case (changed from Rosewill Mid Tower on suggestions)
    SAMSUNG 2494SW Glossy Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor

Either this:
    Creative Inspire T3130 2.1 Speakers
    or this:
    Creative Labs Inspire A200 3-Piece Computer Speakers

Little things like Keyboard and Mouse and Headphones I'll just get from Best Buy or wherever.

I cringe a little because I'm sure I've made some horribly noobish mistake with my choices, so if you guys are a little mean or laugh at me I'll totally understand
    Congratz bud! I hope to do this in the future. I know it has to be a good feeling!
    **As the Great Emu is one with the hill, so am I with the Great Emu.**
    PlatinumKnightsddo.us

Default Memory...

About the only thing I can add is check out Crucial.com for memory...

I've had great luck with them and their site can recommend memory based on
    the MB...

--------------
    Morons are a dime a dozen I just wish someone would stop bringing so many dimes...
    I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast