Community Member

Default Drow tempest - rapier plus ss, or 2 rapiers?

My tempest ranger is a drow. At what point would it make sense to switch from rapier and short sword to two rapiers?

Community Member

I should add. I am level 12, don't have otwf, but have improved criticaliercing.

Community Member Symar-FangofLloth's Avatar

Well, eventually, your attack bonus should be decent enough you can duel rapiers no issue.

But I think drow get shortsword-related enhancemetns for bonus damage, those might swing things in favor of that, I'm not sure.
    Former Xoriat-er. Embrace the Madness.

Rapiers are so frigging expensive - I'm level 20 with 2 Green Steel (unfinished) rapiers and I still use short-swords in my off-hand (paralyzers, stuff like that). From 14-17 I was using a long sword and a hand-axe as my main (+5 and +4 Holy Pure good).

If you have trouble hitting, put the second rapier away. If not keep it.

I moved to dual rapiers around level 10 or so...your bonus to hit is high enough at this point that the extra neg to hit is negligible.

You give up so much crit damage using a SS that I think it is worth it, even if you do have a few more misses.

But my ranger is dex/wf not str...so my to hit mods might be higher than yours were at that level. 10-12 was a while back for me, but I really don't recall it being an issue.
    Jokasta Spleenripper 18 Rgr/1 Rog/1 Mnk
    Nogood Bastiche 19 Ftr
    Adicia the Unjust 18 Pal
    Iron Fisted Leader of the Unrepentant Gaming DDO Chapter - www.unrepentantgaming.org