Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

Default The DDO Store & +1 Weapons

We are considering discontinuing the sale of +1 weapons in the DDO Store, and would like to hear feedback from the community before making a final decision. If you are a player who regularly purchases +1 weapons, we are very interested in hearing about why you like to purchase them. Will the removal of +1 weapons negatively impact your game play? Please use this thread to provide any feedback regarding your purchase of +1 weapons; we look forward to hearing from you!

quite frankly the sale of them seemed a little wrong like a noob trap, as you could buy them for a small price in houe d or pull them about 10 minutes into the game. I'm glad to see your moving away from this style of marketing.
    Arannel, Aqueous, Cocobolo, Arboreous, Erudirion, Congruous, and Cogs
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    If you are a player who regularly purchases +1 weapons, we are very interested in hearing about why you like to purchase them.
    I will give limitless +1 weapons to the first person to admit to this.

I don't see why you'd sell +1 weapons in the store at all, they drop from the lowbie-est of lowbie quests, are sold from auctions and brokers at exceptionally cheap prices, and are very quickly replaceable even for a totally green player with Sharn series "nicked" weapons or +2 end rewards.

I would suggest the weapons are changed to Silver, Byeshk, Adamantine, flametouched versions.

At least then they would have a purpose.

Also, they should cost 10TPs per plus.

that would be enough to make it cheap, and a simple convenience purchase since better stuff would still be easy to find at the AH.

I would pay over 1000TP for a Spear though, (hopefully with crafting)
    Last edited by KKDragonLord; 07-20-2010 at 08:18 AM.

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Considering you give them a free weapon that is ALMOST +1 (+1 damage, no +1 to hit) during the intro quest and you can buy them from a vendor for in game gold, it kind of taking advantage of new players that don't know better to have those in store.

WikiGnome

Great decision. The +1 items were barely any better than what you gained during the tutorial and can be obtained within minutes of gameplay. It felt dishonest to sell them. Like valorik said, it's a noob trap. If you did buy them, you would probably end up thinking you waste TPs on them.

The same could be said about +1 armors, +2 weapons and +2 armors.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

I have said from day 1 that +1 weapons were silly - you get better weapons through the darn tutorial. In fact, Tolero could you put the word in to upgrade the +1 weapons at the vendors in House P and House D? Perhaps along the lines of what KKDragonord has suggested? People might actually go to those vendors then ...

By the way, +2 and +3 weapons really aren't much better.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

Community Member

Well, the op is targetted to players that buy +1 weapons regularly, so i guess there are such players, i dont think you will find them on the forums though...

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    Great decision. The +1 items were barely any better than what you gained during the tutorial and can be obtained within minutes of gameplay. It felt dishonest to sell them. Like valorik said, it's a noob trap. If you did buy them, you would probably end up thinking you waste TPs on them.

The same could be said about +1 armors, +2 weapons and +2 armors.
    Damn B, faster on the keyboard!
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

Quote Originally Posted by Gercho View Post
    Well, the op is targetted to players that buy +1 weapons regularly, so i guess there are such players, i dont think you will find them on the forums though...
    A superior Point...
    Sarlona - Stormreach Requisition Company (SRC):Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8; Hennako-Human Cleric20; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15;more

From the perspective of a newish player, who is now VIP, I have never even considered buying any of the weapons from the DDO Store. Even on my first toon on his first run through Korthos, it was very apparent that the weapons that I could buy in the store would easily be found in game. I do enjoy the store, and have made several purchases, but have no interest in buying easily obtainable weapons. Perhaps if the rarer weapons were available, I may consider, but I understand that would likely open a whole new philosophical debate.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    We are considering discontinuing the sale of +1 weapons in the DDO Store, and would like to hear feedback from the community before making a final decision.
    Selling any kind of straight +X weapon for Turbine Points (which come from real dollars) is a trap for new users who don't know any better, and will lead to them becoming upset in the future.

If you want to sell weapons in the DDO Store, they could be auto-scaling items that go from +1 to +5 Righteous as the wielder advances from level 1 to 10. That wouldn't be any more powerful than what a person could obtain with a little in-game effort, but paying the Turbine Points gives them the convenience of not needing to go through the motions of replacing the item every 2 levels.

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by Hafeal View Post
    By the way, +2 and +3 weapons really aren't much better.
    +3 is sort of fine. I remember having struggled to find my first +3 armor and weapon. I remember several newbies were incredibly happy when I passed them +3 stuff because I didn't need it. However, +1 and +2 is just too easy to acquire. You'll find them very quickly.

If Turbine is selling for something to replace those weapons, I would suggest them selling a DDO Store named item that is a plain +X that scales with level: at level 1, it's +1; at level 2, it's +2; at level 4, it's +3; at level 6, it's +4; and at level 8, it's +5. This makes the item a much better purchase, as it follows the player for a good while and can be purchased early.

EDIT: Dammit, AD was quicker.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    Selling any kind of straight +X weapon for Turbine Points (which come from real dollars) is a trap for new users who don't know any better, and will lead to them becoming upset in the future.

If you want to sell weapons in the DDO Store, they could be auto-scaling items that go from +1 to +5 Righteous as the wielder advances from level 1 to 10. That wouldn't be any more powerful than what a person could obtain with a little in-game effort, but paying the Turbine Points gives them the convenience of not needing to go through the motions of replacing the item every 2 levels.
    Account bound Heirloom weapons would be a pretty sweet addition, even have a fire and cold version.

Starts out as a +1 weapon with an extra 1 point of elemental damage and can go up to a +5 Elemental burst weapon at 12.

But +1 Junk in the store is a terrible idea, remove them they are a joke and feel dirty.
    Last edited by Hydro; 01-26-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Don't debate it - just remove them.

FWIW I agree with what every single other poster has said so far in this thread. Noob trap, seems dishonest, a waste of TP, can and will pull them within minutes of playing, and you probably won't get many replies here from folks who actually but them.
    Maveriq Wiley... Benefaqtor... Spyqe... Masqot Von Chaedence...
    Ghallanda

Trade List

Community Member

Remove. And don't stop with just +1 weapons.

I agree that removing them is a great idea.
    I like KKDragonLord's idea of replacing them with useful weapons-- metal types, ghost touch, maybe even chaos aligned for the marut...

Frankly, I'd be surprised if anyone who is poorly-informed enough to be paying TP for +1 weapons is reading the forums and responding to threads.
    Ghallanda: Vilas, Alphon, Whelm, Thaylan, Tyclmi, Amgine, Talc, Dedlee, Payle, Darell, Talenta, Zhen, Thrane, Arrith, Durdyn, Magefyre, Necrophil, Tulgey, Borogove, Hasugi, Shawal, Hailestorm, Branthan
    Sarlona: Darrick, Schweet, Omagus, Chudan
    Cannith: Leeve, Alzon
    Old Timer's Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gercho View Post
    Well, the op is targetted to players that buy +1 weapons regularly, so i guess there are such players, i dont think you will find them admitting it on the forums though...
    Fixed.
    * Sohryu * (Life #24: 18 BRD / 1 BRB / 1 ROG)
    Completionist // Epic Completionist // Triple Iconic Completionist
    Ravensguard (200) - Now in Flower Sniffer Lavender

Buying rare weapons like different material +1 or +2 ones seems a lot better of an idea.

Buying that +1 adamantine maul to combat that clay golem, that might be more reasonable. That silver longsword for the vampire etc.

But not stuff thats given as reward options in start quests.

In fact the korthos starter missions give you weapons as good as (if not better) than +1 weapons. (they're masterwork, giving +1 to hit and have +1 elemental damage making them equivalent to a +1 magical weapon)

While wer'e on the subject of low end weapons.

A lot of named weapons and armors in harbour quests are basic +1 or +2 fare.

ALL of these should have some sort of ability that stands them above the regular stuff.

Rakmels dagger might be chaos touch (+1 chaos damage, chaotic aligned) etc.
    Named Spider's Carapace might have cold resistance 5 on it. etc.
    Gordoks' Boots might have +3 jump and jump spell castable 3 per day.
    Last edited by Chaosprism; 01-26-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast