Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shassa View Post
    Wow, this thread is incredible...
    Agreed. It also scares the s*** out of me as a casual player (it takes me months to get to L20 on
    a non-TR toon!).

Talking Very Interesting Thread

I can't wait to see how this progresses.

Nice videos Mr. Cow.

These could help some of the new folks navigate the new quests.

I am enjoying this as I'm doing my TR #1 of my caster who is currently a wizzie wf
    Main characters: Usually on Rhyes, Miniryse or Legolass
    I'm rich! filthy rich! /runs off to AH
    /cry! I'm poor! flat broke! /runs off to sell things on forum

Cow - Excellent postings so far! Probably the only thing I would suggest is to give us a breakdown of the “accumulated stuff” you have available. Some of the stuff available to players at lower levels will still surprise a vet as they may not be used to having a certain item at low levels. (Your mention of a Scarab of Protection in Proof is in the Poison is a great example.)

Quote Originally Posted by Arctigis View Post
    Agreed. It also scares the s*** out of me as a casual player (it takes me months to get to L20 on a non-TR toon!).
    It’s really not as bad as it sounds until you hit level 18ish. DDO has a ton of XP available at the lower levels of the game. A lot of this can wash over into the level 16-18 game.
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • Fixing physical defense for Rangers and Rogues. It’s ridiculous that you’re better off wearing Heavy Armor and ignoring your innate feats on these classes.
    • Cannith Crafting.
    • Update the named loot to put them on the same system.
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Fixing all challenges to give us decent XP and ingredient returns for the unreasonable time we have to spend in most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumFX
    Probably the only thing I would suggest is to give us a breakdown of the “accumulated stuff” you have available.
    I do.
    • "Bank Transactions" shows everything I get from my bank at that level.
    • "Obtained Items Used Later" shows everything I keep for later use from chests, breakables, or end rewards (excluding Mnemonic Enhancement Potions).
    • "Cash Transactions" shows everything I buy.

It may take some thumbing through past excerpts, but the information is there. If it isn't on those lists (again, excluding Mnemonic Enhancement Potions, as I will start logging those when I get to the "Greater" and "Major" ones) then I didn't have it to use in a quest.

Some of the stuff available to players at lower levels will still surprise a vet as they may not be used to having a certain item at low levels. (Your mention of a Scarab of Protection in Proof is in the Poison is a great example.
    I actually added that comment because during the run (video not uploaded yet) I get hit by hypnotism about 9 times and daze monster about 6 times and I was thinking to myself "!@#%$% hell, I wish I had a Scarab of Protection right now". I normally do have one at that level, particularly for Halls of Shan-To-Kor (nothing like being commanded in the fire trap) and Proof is in the Poison.
    Last edited by MrCow; 01-28-2010 at 10:30 PM.
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

Quote Originally Posted by MrCow View Post
    I do.
    • "Bank Transactions" shows everything I get from my bank at that level.
    • "Obtained Items Used Later" shows everything I keep for later use from chests, breakables, or end rewards (excluding Mnemonic Enhancement Potions).
    • "Cash Transactions" shows everything I buy.

It may take some thumbing through past excerpts, but the information is there. If it isn't on those lists (again, excluding Mnemonic Enhancement Potions, as I will start logging those when I get to the "Greater" and "Major" ones) then I didn't have it to use in a quest.
    I guess what I’m suggesting is a list of the stuff we haven’t seen you pull from your reincarnation bank yet. That way we can see stuff that we may want to pick up before we hit the Reincarnate button. (I think this may be useful to people who haven’t played an arcane caster to cap yet.)

I actually added that comment because during the run (video not uploaded yet) I get hit by hypnotism about 9 times and daze monster about 6 times and I was thinking to myself "!@#%$% hell, I wish I had a Scarab of Protection right now".
    LOL. I know the feeling. I had a couple moments like that when:
    1. I realized I should have taken the 30 minutes to get my 2nd tier of favor with the Twelve for my free large bag.
    2. When I realized that the Spectacular Optics would have saved me a ton in Shield of Faith potions.
    3. When I had to wait until level 12 to do the last explorer/slayer in the Restless isles (Horrid Golden Figurine)
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • Fixing physical defense for Rangers and Rogues. It’s ridiculous that you’re better off wearing Heavy Armor and ignoring your innate feats on these classes.
    • Cannith Crafting.
    • Update the named loot to put them on the same system.
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Fixing all challenges to give us decent XP and ingredient returns for the unreasonable time we have to spend in most of them.

I guess what I’m suggesting is a list of the stuff we haven’t seen you pull from your reincarnation bank yet. That way we can see stuff that we may want to pick up before we hit the Reincarnate button. (I think this may be useful to people who haven’t played an arcane caster to cap yet.)
    It is a journey in a journal, those items will be yanked and documented when the appropriate time comes. I also have a bucketload of stuff in my reincarnation cache that I won't be taking. However, key things I will be collecting from there at later levels include:

• Skull Fetish Mask
    • Ring of Lies
    • Iron Manacles
    • +2 Superior Spark VI Quarterstaff, ML 10
    • 2 Planar Girds
    • +6 INT goggles, ML 9, RR: Drow/Elf [UMD 16]
    • Sandstorm Goggles
    • Witching Hour
    • Superior Potency V Quartestaff, ML 12
    • Superior Potency VI Dagger, ML 14
    • +4 True Chaos Quarterstaff of Disruption, ML 18
    • 2 Adoryn's Malice
    • +5 Metalline Returning Dart of Pure Good, ML 14
    • Muck's Doom
    • Superior Freeze V Scepter, ML 6
    • Arcane Shard
    • Gyroscopic Boots of Striding
    • Dreamsplitter
    • Rahkir's Sash
    • Skiver
    • Belt of Tongue
    • Green Steel Bracers (Blindness/Disease Immunity, +5 CHA skills, Concordant Opposition, +150 Exceptional SP, Eldritch Resistance Ritual performed)
    • Seven Fingered Gloves
    • +5 Light Mithral Shield, ML 8 (Adamantine Ritual I performed)
    • +2 INT tome (bound to character from a prior reincarnation reaching 1750 favor)
    • Head of Good Fortune
    • Torc of Prince Raiyum-de II
    • +2 Holy Quarterstaff of Improved Destruction, ML 14, RR: Warforged
    • Ring of Divine Power [x5], ML 11
    • Silver Flame Talisman (tier 3)
    • Emerald Claw Talisman (tier 3)
    • 2 Titanic Docents
    • Stormreaver's Napkin
    • Mummified Bat
    • Dustless Boots
    • Ring of Greater Fire Resistance
    • Staff of Arcane Power
    • Visors of Concentration
    • Gloves of the Glacier
    • Minos Legens
    • +5 Metalline Quarterstaff of Parrying, ML 14, RR: Warforged
    • Torin's Choker
    • Death's Touch (suppressed power unlocked)
    • Dragontouched Docent (+5 Resistance, +6 CON, Greater Spell Penetration VIII)
    • Some consumables
    • ... and other stuff I missed
    Last edited by MrCow; 01-28-2010 at 11:25 PM.
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

Excerpts from Level 5

Author's Notes

Finally, an area of effect spell cast at range that does good damage per caster level. I love my Acid Blast.

This is also a good level to reach quickly (and not banking away EXP) as the Voice of the Master and Mantle of the Worldshaper are usable for the nice little bonus of +5% base EXP. Granted, you have to remember to be equipping one or the other (and I can nearly guarantee I'll forget it on about 25% of the quests past level 12).

This may also be a good time to point out that you may want to get a Wand of Knock or some scrolls of Knock. Being it isn't an overly popular spell to carry it is handy to have for a few locks in the game when you don't have it loaded (Dirty Laundry, The Graverobber, Lair of Summoning, Enter the Kobold, Bastion of Power, and a few more spots). Not every lock in the game is a difficulty one to break, afterall.

Another thing to point out as a reincarnate... do yourself a favor and get yourself a Nicked Greatsword. I completely spaced that I didn't have one set aside for The Stormreaver Fresco and those crystals are vulnerable to sonic damage (double damage from sonic), making them go down a good deal faster.

There were some spots where it hit me like a rotting fish to the face that, unlike my last few reincarnates, I'm currently fairly lacking in the HP department due to going for feats of power and potency over toughness. While I do have 100% fortification (Belt of Moderate Fortification, ML 5), I still go down like a rag doll when I get chain stunned by orcs (the cause of my death this level in The Captives on Elite), but it is also a bit fun to dance with death (as seen by my video on Proof is in the Poison when it gets uploaded).

One of my biggest blunders this level was going through Freshen the Air. When I went through I shot each crate with a Ray of Elements, but I completely spaced the fact that only 4 of the 6 actually got destroyed. The gate was raised so I just assumed it was done, but I had to backtrack later towards the end (in the event someone watches it and wonders).

Proof is in the Poison as a Wizard is one of the more annoying and dangerous quests to do at level in the lower levels because it has a lot of critters (about 230, 3 of which are required kills), only 1 shrine, and you lack a persistent area of effect damage spell to efficiently kill the hoard of critters. Tack on the myriad of spells from the Quickfoot Casters and Iron Defender grease and it can be an easy recipe for disaster. If you have one, I highly recommend using a Scarab of Protection to brush off 75% of the will save based spells.

Below folks may notice that I did To Find a Witness (Catacombs, part 2) on elite several times without doing the rest of the Catacombs series. I have on a free to play account a character with many of the quests obtained for access on elite (including Tangleroot part 5a and 5b, The Shadow Crypt, Ghost of a Chance, Cult of the Six part 3, and others). So if something like that in the completed quests section seems off like that, it is likely because I'm using that character as an opener to easily repeat those specific quests.

... and because it bears repeating, this level is so much nicer that previous wizard levels due to Acid Blast!

Leveling Information
    Gained Energy Manipulation II and Energy of the Scholar II after leveling to level 5.
    Raised the skills Concentration (1), Balance (.5), Hide (.5), Spot (.5), Move Silently (.5), Use Magic Device (.5)
    Gained feat Extend Spell.

Quest Completions (45) Approximate time spent in quests - 2:14:50
    Stand Your Ground - N
    Dirty Laundry - N
    The Stormreaver's Fresco - N
    The Bookbinder Rescue - N
    Repossession - N
    Come Out and Slay - N
    Venn's Trail: Clan Tunnelworm - N
    Venn's Trial: Venn's Fate - N
    The Cloven-Jaw Scourge: Caverns of Shaagh - N
    Freshen the Air - N
    Yarkuch's War Plans - N
    Whisperdoom's Spawn - N
    Irestone Inlet - N
    Proof is in the Poison - N
    Rest for the Restless - N
    The Depths of Darkness - N
    The Depths of Despair - N
    The Depths of Discord - N
    The Depths of Doom - N
    Walk the Butcher's Path - E
    Recovering the Lost Tome - E
    Where There's Smoke... - E
    Haverdasher - E
    Repossession - N x11/H
    The Friar's Niece - H
    To Find A Witness - H/E x7
    The Old Archives - H

Bank Transactions
    Obtained Belt of Moderate Fortification (ML 5), Ring of Fire Resistance (ML 5), Blademaster Gauntlets, 2 Visors of the Flesh Render Guards, Mantle of the Worldshaper, Voice of the Master, Crimson Gemstone, Portable Hole

Obtained Items Used Later
    Goggles of the Eagle [+5], ML 1

Cash Transactions
    Net Gain of +7521 gold
    Bought 1 Contract of Grommisk Axehead
    Bought 10 Scrolls of Knock
    200 Gold spent in Come Out and Slay.

Deaths
    The Captives (Elite)
    Last edited by MrCow; 02-24-2010 at 07:38 PM.
    Server - Thelanis

MrCow, can you expound on the reasons why you now prefer a Wizard?

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Arctigis View Post
    I can read in MrCow's mind and tell you it's all about liking the icon better. And maybe getting a useful past life feat too.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

hypnotism about 9 times and daze monster about 6 times and I was thinking to myself "!@#%$% hell, I wish I had a Scarab of Protection right now".
    I had similar issues in there... and it took me like 10 mins longer than you to get it done

Quote Originally Posted by Arctigis
    If it were not for the fact that I am doing this for Past Life: Wizard and the +2 Spell Penetration associated with it, I'd not be doing this True Reincarnation as a Wizard. I still highly prefer the Sorcerer's faster casting, shorter cooldowns, and higher SP amount over what a Wizard has. You may notice that I also don't change spells out too often, which is another remnant of being used to using a Sorcerer.

It is just that level 5 marks a Wizard's addition of ranged area of effect spells (Acid Blast and Fireball), which are generally much easier to use with a large crowd of nasties and marks a milestone in their arcane power (the later milestones being 4th level spells [Wall of Fire] and 6th level spells [Disintegration, Symbol of Persuasion, Mass Suggestion, Reconstruction]).
    Last edited by MrCow; 01-29-2010 at 11:33 AM.
    Server - Thelanis

Excerpts from Level 6

Author's Notes

Overall, it wasn't a very exciting level. A lot more running around and Acid Blasting (or Fireballing due to a slightly higher DC) things. The major highlight was the addition of Improved Maximize II and the Arcane Shard brings down the cost of Maximize to 15 SP (and being I've been using clickables for my spell damage using the Arcane Shard isn't a big deal).

Also, while I still lack something to bolster my force spells for Arcane Initiate, I don't think I'd still be impressed as at this level Arcane Prodigy: Ray of Elements is doing about 160ish damage (on no save) compared to the approximate 54 damage I'd get from a decked out Arcane Initiate: Magic Missiles.

Leveling Information
    Gained Improved Maximize II after leveling to level 6.
    Raised the skills Concentration (1), Balance (.5), Hide (.5), Spot (.5), Move Silently (.5), Use Magic Device (.5)
    Gained feat Past Life: Arcane Initiate.

Quest Completions (39) Approximate time spent in quests - 2:26:00
    Archer Point Defense - N
    Halls of Shan-To-Kor - N x11
    Chamber of Insanity - N
    Lair of Summoning - N
    Ruined Halls - N x2
    The Forgotten Caverns - N
    The Deadly Package: The Stronghold Key - N
    The Deadly Package: Agent of the Darguul - N
    Tomb of the Burning Heart - N
    Tomb of the Immortal Heart - N x2
    Tomb of the Sanguine Heart - N
    Tomb of the Crimson Heart - N
    Guard Duty - N
    The Stones Run Red - N
    Brood of Flame - N
    Prove Your Worth - N
    The Legend of Two-Toed Tobias - N
    Ghost of a Chance - N x9
    The Mystery of Delera's Tomb - N

Bank Transactions
    Obtained +2 Superior Freeze V Scepter, Arcane Shard, and Muck's Doom

Cash Transactions
    Net Loss of -86442 gold
    Bought 1 Contract of Grommisk Axehead
    Spent 100000 gold for the #5 inventory bag slot
    Last edited by MrCow; 02-24-2010 at 02:56 PM.
    Server - Thelanis

Dirty Laundry (Video)
    0:02 - To Quest
    2:17 - Finish Quest
    0:02 - To Quest Giver

991 EXP (Base 793, x1.25 from bonuses)
    433 EXP per Minute

*Using Open Locks on the breakable doors will fulfill the optional, netting +20% more optional EXP. Knock doesn't seem to do the trick right now.
    THe optional can be obtained by hitting the casks which act as door opener levers (kind of like the old wavecrest tavern quest where you picked up old sullys grog and it opened a secret door). Both sides have em, and IIRC they are the only sideways barrels near the door. Click em, and you get the bonus. No need for thieves tools or spell points
    Star Firefall
    20 Rogue Assasin
    Currently on life 42 of 42 (Final Life!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lithic
    THe optional can be obtained by hitting the casks which act as door opener levers (kind of like the old wavecrest tavern quest where you picked up old sullys grog and it opened a secret door). Both sides have em, and IIRC they are the only sideways barrels near the door. Click em, and you get the bonus. No need for thieves tools or spell points
    Prior to update 1's advent of Epic quests you could knock them and get the EXP, being it doesn't create the extra hitmen. Besides, at the speed knock casts at on a DC 1 lock compared to using an object or opening a lock, it was the fastest way to get the optional EXP.
    Server - Thelanis

Well, 104 of 247 (soon to be 251 in update 3) quests done. I still have a lot of the videos processing though.

So far I'm most surprised to see that Tomb of the Immortal Heart pretty high up there at ~1211 EXP per minute, considering how downplayed the Necropolis I quests can be.
    Server - Thelanis

104 of 247
    what quests are you counting that dont give favor? cause there are 229 quests in the favor log. you counting adventure areas? jsut some idle curiosity

Caffeine, We aren't strategically savvy!™.
    Video Archive of Quests

Quote Originally Posted by spyderwolf
    what quests are you counting that dont give favor? cause there are 229 quests in the favor log. you counting adventure areas? jsut some idle curiosity
    Heh, ignore my number. I'm pulling that out of a database I have that still contains quests like "Healing Magic Training" and "Thwarting the Threat", stuff we haven't had since module 7.2. I didn't realize I forgot to ignore those quests in my total number.

There are also a few oddity quests like The Giant's Lair, The Giant's Supplies, and The Giant Lieutenants (the Giant Caves in Threnal) that aren't in the favor log, but grant EXP. Likewise, you have quests like Return to Delera's Tomb which grant favor, but no EXP.
    Last edited by MrCow; 01-30-2010 at 02:11 AM.
    Server - Thelanis

Useful to me at least since I plan a TR for my drow wizard to WF as soon as he hits 20

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Excerpts from Level 7

Author's Notes

All hail Wall of Fire, pinnacle of the arcane's power and bane to most denizens of DDO, and Dimension Door, the quick getaway car. Hopefully needless to say, this is the point where arcanes tend to rule the roost being their SP efficiency climbs a large amount allowing them to handle the high monster density quests with greater ease.

I'm also finding as these levels progress and I tend to melee less, the Pathfinder (or Anger set for some folks) and Goggles of Insight are doing quite a bit less for me. This is about the time to consider Spot Goggles and something else to fill in the neck/boot slots.

Leveling Information
    Gained Elemental Manipulation III and Wand and Scroll Mastery I after leveling to level 7.

Quest Completions (63) Approximate time spent in quests - 4:13:00
    The Bloody Crypt - N
    Caged Trolls - N
    Purge the Heretics - N
    Doom of the Witch-doctor: The Way to Zulkash - N/H
    Doom of the Witch-doctor: Zulkash, Herald of Woe - N/H
    The Last Move: The Way to Yarkuch - N/H
    The Last Move: Yarkuch's Last Stand - N/H
    Mirra's Sleepless Nights - N
    Dead Predators - N
    Redwillow's Ruins - N
    Valak's Mausoleum - N
    Gladewatch Outpost - N
    The Bounty Hunter - N
    The Troglodyte's Get - N
    The Iron Mines: Freeing Achka - N
    The Iron Mines: Justice for Grust - N
    The Grey Moon's Den: The Trollish Scourge - N
    The Grey Moon's Den: Extermination - N
    Taming the Flames - N
    Stand Your Ground - E
    The Stormreaver Fresco - E
    Dirty Laundry - E
    Repossession - E
    The Bookbinder Rescue - E
    Come Out and Slay - E
    Redfang the Unruled - E
    Freshen the Air - E
    Archer Point Defense - H/E
    The Sacred Helm - E
    The Cloven-Jaw Scourge: Blockade - E
    The Cloven-Jaw Scourge: Caverns of Shaagh - E
    Halls of Shan-To-Kor - H/E
    The Captives - E
    The Kobolds' Den: Clan Gnashtooth - H/E
    The Kobolds' Den: Rescuing Arlos - H/E
    Venn's Trail: Clan Tunnelworm - H/E
    Venn's Trail: Venn's Fate - H/E
    The Depths of Despair - H/E
    The Depths of Darkness - H/E
    The Depths of Discord - H/E
    The Depths of Doom - H/E
    Tomb of the Crimson Heart - H
    Tomb of the Immortal Heart - H
    Tomb of the Sanguine Heart - H
    First Strike - H
    The Hobgoblins' Captives - H
    Yarkuch's War Plans - H
    Whisperdoom's Spawn - H
    The Deadly Package: The Stronghold Key - H
    The Deadly Package: Agent of the Darguul - H

Bank Transactions
    Obtained Iron Manacles, 2 Wands of Repair Critical Damage [x67 charges total], Wand of Stoneskin [x35 charges], +2 Tome of Clear Thought, 20 +4 Adamantine Arrows, Mummified Bat, 68 Scrolls of Teleport, 217 Hearts of Hens, 908 Crushed Black Pearls, 668 Crystal Cones

Obtained Items Used Later
    Silver Flame Trinket
    Dexterous [+3] Ring, ML 5

Cash Transactions
    Net Gain of +15261 gold
    Bought 660 Eyelashes in Gum Arabic, 310 Pinches of Fine Sand, 740 Balls of Bat Guano & Sulfur, 980 Hearts of Hens

Deaths
    First Strike (Elite) - Got tripped and beaten up pretty well
    Last edited by MrCow; 02-24-2010 at 02:59 PM.
    Server - Thelanis

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast