Community Member

Default Barbarian Duel Wield

What is the ideal weapon to duel wield with barbarians. Right now I have just been picking long swords as reward items. But there is rapiers, maces, ect. What is best? And no I dont want a 2 Handed Axe, I am duel wielding.

Khopesh if you can afford the feat.

If you can't, and you don't have a racial favored weapon (eg. a dwarf w/ martial prof would get d-axes prof for free as well as enhancements to boost them) I think it was Heavy Picks for barbarians as they have a x4 crit multiplier.

All the blunt weapons are sub par (though you'll still need to carry some for skeletal undead).

Community Member

Well I am not going to lie, I choose Halfling. I know I am at a disadvantage on strength. But I had this unstoppable desire to try it out. I am going with the Storm of Kargon Halfling build, via the recommended build from the home page. Seemed legit, and no one ever voted on it so I assume no one does it lol.

But no where in there does it tell you ideal weapons to use. I am just confused on what I should be swinging around. If it makes a diff I am going with a secondary class of bard later.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Dual khopesh is best.

If you don't have room for the feat, then go either slash or pierce. If slash, choose between dual scimitar and scimitar + kukri, depending on whether you need the +2 to-hit (and if you have the oversized TWF feat). If pierce, main hand should be either pick or rapier, and off-hand either one of these, or the light pick (if you need the +2 to-hit and don't have otwf).
    Both options (slash/pierce) offer pretty much the same DPS and there is no strong benefit in picking one over another (IMO). One selling point for pierce is the fact you can't get banishing on randomly generated slashing weapons. But on another hand, going slash-specced will give you better DPS with vorpals (which rarely matters...)

Btw, splashing bard is probably a bad idea unless you really know what you're doing.

Community Member

What is a khopesh exactly. I see it talked about in many posts, but am unsure what kind of item your referring to. Also under my barbarian trainer I didnt see anything regarding khopesh feat. How do I attain a Duel khopesh feat?

Community Member

Ok I did a little looking around in the compendium or whatever. I found the khopesh you talk about, but its a exotic efficency weapon. From what I can tell, I can only wield simple weapon and martial weapons. Here is a list of my available feats as well for my path.

Attack 1
    Defensive Fighting 1
    Dismiss Rage 1
    Fast Movement 1
    Halfling Agility 1
    Halfling Bravery 1
    Halfling Keen Ears 1
    Halfling Luck 1
    Halfling Size Bonus 1
    Halfling Thrown Weapon Focus 1
    Heroic Durability 1
    Light Armor Proficiency 1
    Martial Weapon Proficiency 1
    Medium Armor Proficiency 1
    Rage 1
    Shield Proficiency (General) 1
    Simple Weapon Proficiency 1
    Sneak 1
    Sunder 1
    Trip 1
    Two Weapon Fighting 1
    Damage Reduction 2
    Uncanny Dodge 2
    Power Attack 3
    Trap Sense 3
    Improved Uncanny Dodge 5
    Improved Two Weapon Fighting 6
    Improved Critical: Piercing Weapons 9
    Greater Rage 11
    Greater Two Weapon Fighting 12
    Indomitable Will 14
    Stunning Blow 15
    Tireless Rage 17
    Oversized Two Weapon Fighting 18
    Mighty Rage 20

You would need to take an extra feat, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh.
    * Sohryu * (Life #24: 18 BRD / 1 BRB / 1 ROG)
    Completionist // Epic Completionist // Triple Iconic Completionist
    Ravensguard (200) - Now in Flower Sniffer Lavender

Community Member

This is not my intention but I was wondering, can Barbarians use throwing weapons? As a halfling I have a bonus to throwing weapons, but there is throwing axes in martial weapons, to me it seems it should be possible?

If you have them in your proficiency list, then you can use them with no penalty, unless you are, for instance, trying to dual-wield two non-finesse weapons (like two khopeshes or longswords for example, then some people will recommend you also take Oversized TWF to lessen the attack penalty for the off hand weapon)

Community Member

So how do you take extra feats then? I am unawear of where to go to gain feats.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbital-Dragon View Post
    All About Feats

This is not my intention but I was wondering, can Barbarians use throwing weapons? As a halfling I have a bonus to throwing weapons, but there is throwing axes in martial weapons, to me it seems it should be possible?
    It's a good idea on paper, but ranged combat in general is vastly inferior to melee combat in DDO. Why? Because if it were equal to or better, everyone would roll ranged combatants and the whole world would be made of kites.

So while it is a good idea to find a decent thrower for situational purposes, you will lag so far behind the rest of the group if you try to "throw" that you will find yourself aching to get in there and swing.

If you want to use khopesh's, you may need to multiclass a level or 2 of fighter to get enough feats. I would use this character planner and test out a variety of ability score, feats, enhancements, etc before you start the character.

Once you think you've got it, a good test will be to solo the Korthos Peak quest on hard at level 2. If you're mopping the floor with the cultists, you're good to go. If not, time to reroll. Happy hunting!
    Last edited by Newtons_Apple; 01-25-2010 at 02:21 PM.
    "Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking."
    Officer of Aces over Kings, Argonesson - Elmo, Marin, Ganelon, Sevollas, Seda, Camerone, Amdr, Ganelonn, Fozzie, Misspiggy

Quote Originally Posted by Newtons_Apple View Post
    (Throwing Weapon) is a good idea on paper
    Ahem.

OP: Khopesh is best.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

You would need to stop following your predefined path and start customizing it. Apparently, from what you posted above, your path is meant to use rapiers and/or heavy picks (since it has improved crit: pierce). You can either continue the path or leave it and make your own choices. Be aware that barbarians are short on feats, so going khopesh means doing some sacrifices.

Btw, it looks like this path is flawed and does not offer cleave as a feat. You'll want it to gain access to the Frenzied Berzerker line of enhancements, which is currently a must have for a barbarian (really needed at high level, and highly recommended starting at L12).