Lightbulb Ideas for a Jester Class

Just something scratched up together during boredom, nowhere near complete, just throwing it here for other people to add their take to.. Help build on this and let's see how it ends up!

D&D actually had such a class once AFAIK, and obviously other people have had ideas for this as well:
    http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=28547
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Jester_(DnD_Class)

and here's my amateurish draft for one:

D&D Class: Jester or Trickster
    A master at deceiving sentient or semi-sentient creatures, often to fatal consequences.

Think a more malevolent (or sarcastic) and offensive version of a Bard (or an exaggerated cross between Bard/Rogue similar to how Paladins can be considered a cross between Fighter/Cleric) but also much more, with a Harlequin kind of vibe.

Basics:
    • Alignment: Any Chaotic
    • HD about the same as Rogue/Bards
    • Primary Stats: CHA, DEX, INT
    • Skill Points just about slightly lower than Rogue
    • Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Concentration, Haggle, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Spot, Tumble
    • Expertise in Thrown Weapons. Gains +1 to Attack and Damage with them every 2 Levels.
    • Special: Can equip Cards; a new Jester-only Thrown Weapons type with highly-magical effects.

Default Feats:
    • Weapon Finesse
    • Thrown Weapons
    • Simple Weapon Proficiency; Dagger
    • Sly/Trickery; Jester-only. Taken automatically if CHA 14+

Jester-only Feats:
    • Unpredictable; requires DEX 14. No one can predict where you will move or what you will do next. Gives a +2 to Attack Rolls and to confirm Critical Hits vs. Lawful targets, and a +1 vs. Neutral targets.
    • Sly/Trickery; requires CHA 14. You can fool people with ease and see through their attempts to do the same to you. +2 to Bluff and Haggle Checks, +2 to saves vs. Intimidate.
    • Mockery? requires INT 12. You are an expert at concealing Light/Thrown Weapons and Light Armor in the folds of ordinary- and harmless-looking clothing. Gives a +2 to Attack and +1 to AC vs. enemies with less than INT 10

[Choice of?] "Tricks" starting from Level 2:
    • Feign Death; Drop to the ground and lay motionless. If you attack any enemy then passing by, you hit them as per usual, but if they fail a [STAT?] Save vs. [#?] + your DEX, you also score an automatic Critical Hit.
    • Ruckus; Caper around dancing and throwing vile (and often incomprehensible) insults at foes and friends alike, causing every one within a radius of [#? per #? Level] casting spells or using Skills to make a Concentration Check vs. [#?] + your CHA or fail at whatever they're trying to do.
    • Flurry? Requires a Stack of enough Thrown Weapons to be equiped. Shoot 5 Thrown Weapons at once. +2 extra shots every two Levels starting from Level 5 inclusive.
    • Switch Sides? Enemies within a radius of [#? per #? Level] must make a [STAT?] Save vs. [#?] + your CHA or believe that you've switched sides to align with them, and stop attacking you. Attacking any of them will [count as a Sneak Attack and?] remove the effect from all enemies.
    • Juggle; Requires a Stack of enough Thrown Weapons to be equiped. Enemies AND Allies within a radius of [#? per #? Level] must make a Will Save vs. [#?] + your DEX+CHA or be Mesmerized. Treated as if it were a Spell being cast, with Concentration requirements to keep continuing when under attack. Release Juggle to score an Attack at +2 bonus on all affected Enemies, from closest to furthest, as many as the number of weapons being Juggled. Number of weapons depends on Concentration/2 + DEX bonus.

[Choice of?] Spells gained starting from Level 2; each requires INT 10 + Spell Level
    • Grease
    • Expeditious Retreat
    • Haste

Cards - New Weapons Type
    A type of Thrown Weapons, only usable by Jesters. Always inflict a very small amount of AC-ignoring magical damage or minor negative effects upon the enemy, for example:
    • 1d4 Fire/Cold/Acid damage.
    • Slow/Feeblemind/Blind/Stun/Confuse/etc. for 1d4 cumulative seconds on each successful hit.
    • Most Cards have a random damage or effect from a certain list.

Last edited by Wren666; 11-24-2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: image
    Please check out and help build on ideas for a new Quest Type, a Jester Class, and a Xachosian Caster Class!
    Sign and vote on suggestions for UI improvements and an in-game Eberronopedia!

I think that the Jester resurfaced in the book that archived a lot of the best from both Dungeon and Dragon magazines.

Wow +1 great idea

/sign

Community Member

As noted above, Jesters are found in the Dragon Compendium. They are bard-like class with access to some wizard/sorcerer spells not found on the bard list, and a few cleric spells as well.

Naturally, Gnomes would be the preferred race.
    Clayne Fourstring - Jack of All Trades, Riddlemaster - Sarlona
    Esson the Sacred Heart - Physician, Healer - Sarlona
    ~~The Paladin Code: Death before dishonor . . . especially when there is a cleric in the group.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Teldurn View Post
    Naturally, Gnomes would be the preferred race.
    Halflings will do for now
    Please check out and help build on ideas for a new Quest Type, a Jester Class, and a Xachosian Caster Class!

I see it as an anti-bard really the jester class (well thats my idea of how it should be) with songs like a bard except the jester gets debuffs.I wasn't aware turbine accepted homebrew classes as ideas for the game.
    I like the idea except maybe there should be songs like inspire fear and inspire incompetence.
    If beauty is in the eye of the beholder which eye is that?
    I demand you nerf this post. I was the first person to enter the chronoscope quest on cannith. And died in 10 mins when the whole party finally got in. Profesional Necrobumper.

Default I like this...

I like this idea...kind of like a Gnome Illusionist!
    The One True Fighter/Wizard Father of the Alliance General Orcneas of ORC

http://darkside.guildportal.com http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=174849

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ARcdevil View Post
    I see it as an anti-bard really the jester class (well thats my idea of how it should be) with songs like a bard except the jester gets debuffs.
    Yes! An "Anti-bard!" Couldn't have put it better myself ^^

except that instead of songs, the Jester would get "tricks" in the form of special spells and as Actions-per-day that they can apply on Jester-only weapons, like Cards, to make them produce certain effects on each attack for the duration of that Trick.

Cool

/signed

Yes, I likey. I would like gnomes as well. This would be alot of fun to play around with.

+1 to you for bringing it up and the work involved.
    Dravun , Yocoba, Daivik, and so many more.
    Proud to serve the Imperial Assassins!
    Do not drink the awesome-sauce......One must BE the awesome-sauce.

The Arcdevil demands this have more infomation.
    If beauty is in the eye of the beholder which eye is that?
    I demand you nerf this post. I was the first person to enter the chronoscope quest on cannith. And died in 10 mins when the whole party finally got in. Profesional Necrobumper.

In game: Khyber. In Reality: somewhere along the path of insanity.

When you have the DC for your abilities of (#?) + (STAT?) I think the (#?) should be the default for all things, 10.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    Khyber: Foluke The Cobra Warrior ~ Trty 5 Izzam the Hunter ~ Ranger 13
    I'll swallow your sanity...

Sounds more like it would be a fun Prestige for the Bard Class then a stand alone class of it's own accord.