Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Is DDo good... opinions

I played EQ1 for years, played wow for years as well.
    Tired of paying 15 dollars a month to play with 10 yr olds and jerks.

Is DDo any good? i like questing and grping/raiding

Is the free version worth it or does it have limitations?

Is there 10 yr olds and 30 yr olds that are jerks/idiots

Whats a challenging race/class?

I dont like ezmode i would like to be challenged, wow atm isnt challenging and 90% of the people are jerks or morons

Is DDO a time sink? or can u play it a few days a week a few hrs a day and get things done? do raids grps take 6 hrs

I would love to start playing as i played paper D&D when i was a kid
    just want to know what im getting into

Community Member

You might get a better perspective if you posted elsewhere than...the DDO forums.

Quote Originally Posted by rockaway View Post

Is DDo any good? Yes!i like questing and grping/raiding So do we!

Is the free version worth it or does it have limitations? Worth what? it's free! So i guess yes it is defintiely worth the nothing you pay for it. Not to say it is worth nothing, because it's fun but free so it's worth every penny, not that you paid even a penny but... Anyway, yes, it has limitations. After all the goal of the Turbine is to make money but lot;s of people who previously were subscribers are now free-to-players and lot's of folks who started free are now subscribers... But there is also a third option. You can start free and then buy adventure packs as you go.

Is there 10 yr olds and 30 yr olds that are jerks/idiots Y es. but not as many as WoW (or so I hear).

Whats a challenging race/class? Difficult to answer. Suffice it to say you can play almost any type of character you can conceive. You can multi-class up to 3 classes per character. Character building can be fun and challenging but there are also standard types that are easier to buiold but lots of fun to play.

I dont like ezmode i would like to be challenged, wow atm isnt challenging and 90% of the people are jerks or morons

Is DDO a time sink? It can be. There is some grinding necessary at higher levels but i understand it is better than most games. or can u play it a few days a week a few hrs a day and get things done? Yes! I do! do raids grps take 6 hrs oh my only if we're realllllly drunk. Some raids can take while (30-45 minutes). Others take just a few minutes. I have never heard of a raid lasting more than an hour or so (unless it was just a completely ill-prepared but tenacious party). The game was designed for folks to be able to jump in and start questing. No extensive travelling around, etc...

You can get a good feel for what the game is like in general without investing a single penny. I highly recommend you try it out! I have been playing for 3 years and still love it. Also, Ghallanda is the rockingest server but I'm kinda getting a Khyber vibe from you... Up to you as all the servers rock really. Thelanis has the largest RP contingent, I think (if that's hat you're into.)
    Last edited by wamjratl1; 01-19-2010 at 12:37 PM.
    Maveriq Wiley... Benefaqtor... Spyqe... Masqot Von Chaedence...
    Ghallanda

Trade List

Lol well I've played for 4 years. . .So Of course I think its the best out there. However, this is the DDO forums. . .
    Hexxa CLR 25 *TR* * ~Hexanna ~*TR* FVS 25 * Hexecuter CLR 20 *Flexanna RGR/R/M 18/1/1 *TR* * Flexa FTR/R 18/2 TR * Hextravaganz Bard *TR* 18/2 * Hexotic Sorc 13 * Hexquisite Wiz 23 * ~~Quantum Entropy * SARLONA~~ - * and various other scoundrels

Community Member

Just download it and try it. No one is going to tell you if you like it better than yourself.

Is DDO a time sink? or can u play it a few days a week a few hrs a day and get things done? do raids grps take 6 hrs

You'll get different viewpoints, of course, but here are mine:

1. DDO is pretty group orientated, though soloing is possible in certain cases depending on your class and build.

2. Sorry to say, but you'll get idiots regardless of what MMO you play. Fact of the genre. Ditto with jerks.

3. That's rather subjective to the person, everyone probably has a different viewpoint on this in particular.

4. Nothing is really pound-your-face-in-with-a-blunt-object hard, but there are plenty of challenging quests to do, particuarly if you're running with a party that isn't optimized or by yourself. Nearly all quests have three levels of difficulty: Normal, Hard, and Elite, with the dificulty going up for each one. I'd expand, but I don't have the time

5. Nearly every quest can be done in under an hour. Some of the chains take longer, but nothing that you can't do in 2-3 hours at the most (that comes to mind anyway)

I think so. Its Free. Try it.

The Free version is worth EVERY penny you pay for it. and then some. its FREE. of course there are limitations. Turbine is not a Charity organization helping poor destitute gamers. they are in business to make money.
    Of course. There are jerks in EvERY game.

All of em... None of em..... Depends on playstyle and what YOU feel is challenging.

Everyone has different perspectives on whats hard and whats easy. DDO has 4(Soon to be 5) difficulty levels to help tailor it to Your personal Playstyle.(Although WPIC is only available to level capped characters.)

Yes, you can start and stop a lot easier than most game. THe long Raids take about an hour in a poor groups. Some can be completed in 20-30 minutes. (Sometimes you could get stuck in a riad for maybe 2 hours with a lot of new players and a poor leader.. that is uncommon though)

Again. its FREE to try. Nothing to lose.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

One of the things i like about DDO is that it isnt that bad of a time sink. You can play an hour and get stuff done. Raids normally are fairly short (either you win or fail withing one hour normally) but it can take some time forming them.

Logging on and doing one Quest with a PUG normally doesnt consume much more then an hour, often shorter (there are some quests thet can take up too 2 hours but there arent many like this). And after that you can log off and actually have achieved something. That is hard in many other MMORPG's.

One can play this game up to level 12 without spending a dime. After that there isnt any content (new update will bring a small selection of quests up to 18) and if you want to continue you will be better off putting in some money. If you invest like 100$ in the game you have tons of content and can level characters to level 20 without playing the same dungeon over and over again. If you invest your money in content you dont have to reinvest it for other chars and prettymuch dont need to spend any more money at all. You should be fine with like 50$ but you selection will be limited. Again that is money you put in once not every few months or something.

Community Member

> I'm having a good time playing it mostly solo. Fun dungeon crawls, a little different from WoW and others.

> It has limitations, it is free after all. But it is a great way to try it out without any commitment, and some people have leveled to max level free - it is a lot of grinding though. Check out:

http://www.ddo.com/vip for specifics on what limitations there are.

> Of course, this is an MMO. Even 40 year old lurkers like me. But it is easy enough to ignore that, or just find a guild of like minded people.

> dunno, I went for not challenging to start. It is challenging enough solo. I have a Warforged DPS focused Fighter. I choose Hard or Normal difficulty on most quests and you can challenge yourself. Or group up and choose Elite. If you go for a healer/caster class you will probably be forced to group to level effectively.

> You can't get away from the jerks or morons completely in any social gaming activity. Difficulty level can help keep the challenge level right.

> I'm doing it just a few hours at a time, a few days a week. But I mostly solo. You have to make 1-2 hour committments at a time to group I would expect.

> This comment is why I replied. It does feel like paper D&D more than other games. I played 1st edition D&D back in the day, but am familiar with the 3rd edition rules from Bioware games. There are nice self contained dungeon romps that are pretty fun, and a variety of other types of quests/activities. Lots of mini-bosses, traps that require you pay attention, interesting quests that you actually have to read, quite a few fun twists and tricky puzzles, etc.
    Answers after > above.

IMO its free, and worth the time to give it a try.

Community Member

Hi Rockaway. DDO is decent and has several unique qualities that make it enjoyable.
    Character creation and experimenting with different build ideas can be particularly enjoyable.

Among the sea of other MMOs out there, I'd say the DDO community holds up well, however, I will say one of the things that initially attracted me to this game was reading posts by people that claimed the playerbase was "much more mature...than other MMOs" -Not true.
    One thing that invariably seems to be part of all MMOs is that 90% of the players are jerks or morons. DDO is no exception.

Depends on your playstyle, but I think what other people typically call 'gimp builds' are effectively 'challenging builds' to play...that said, don't expect to get much group love if you play one.
    The game overall, regardless of class/race, doesn't require a lot of player skill (IMO). The one thing in this game that tends to make a huge difference is knowledge - knowledge of the quests you are running to determine spell point usage, trap location, what buffs are needed, and knowledge of character builds.

I dont like ezmode i would like to be challenged, wow atm isnt challenging...
    I believe this happens to any game after you play it long enough. You get so accustomed to the game mechanics, the raids, quests, and your character grows in power to the point that the game itself becomes trivial and easy even on the most difficult settings/encounters. DDO will offer you some fun gameplay and interesting challenges for a while, how long it lasts for you depends on how aggressivley you play.

DDO isn't good.....it's GRRRREEEAAATTT! *insert Tony the Tiger voice*
    DDOcast - A weekly podcast about DDO!
    Characters: Sarlona: Mockduck (Cleric): Beefheart (Fighter): Mockduk (Ranger/Rogue): Monkduck (Monk): Veiovis (Fvs/Rog) Guild: Mockduck (Rogue) Cannith: Mockduck (Fvs/Rogue) Twitter Facebook

If you want an MMO that isnt a time sink, check out Guild Wars. Low level cap. Skill is more player based than gear based and there is very little grind compared to DDO. They also have much better PvP if you are into that. You can respec your character for free while in town, so its easy to try out different combinations. Unlike DDO which is only kind of free to play, GW is completely free to play once you purchase the game. You can get an all-in one version that gives you access to all of the game material for the price of 3-4 months of DDO.

Unfortunately, to get the attention of the largest demographic (the WoW jerks you are so fond of, actually...) the devs have dumbed the game down considerably in the last 2 years. Especially with Mod 9 (Free to play launch).

This game used to be the haven for us gamers who liked a challenge, and who liked to work together to not only complete quests, but to learn how the mechanics worked and what makes a good/bad build by experience.

The core is still there and a lot of us will be here until the servers close - that's how good DDO is; we just lament the loss of the true challenges and real rewards we used to have

At the end of the day, DDO is better than any other MMO or D&D game out there so give it a try - not like it costs you anything to look and see...
    Last edited by Arnya; 01-19-2010 at 01:18 PM.
    BLACK MANTIS - Sarlona
    A r n y a - T o r c h e - S l i m m - D e b t - E p o x y - R e t r o g r a d e - P i n e t r e e
    NOW YOU WILL KNOW TRUE POWER

I've been here since Head start in Febuary 2006, before the game officailly launched. My vote is yes. The rest of the MMO community seems to have a severe dislike for Turbine and DDO in particular. I think they are just jealous. Turbine won the past 2 March Mayham Developer Polls over at the Escapist. This game is all about grouping.

Try it yourself, you have nothing to loose, but some time spent playing a fun game, that is unlike most oter MMOs out there. That is one of the great things about DDO, it is different. It is nothing like WoW.

I have played with both great and terrible people in all age categories, genders and nationalities, at all times of the day. It is just like any other game i nthat regard. but overall, i think you will find less of that in game.

If you find some of these people in game, just ignore them and do not take it personally. When you try the game out, don't be affraid to tell people you are brand new to DDO, and ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS!

Depends on what you like to play. One of the best things about DDO, if not the best, is that, all classes can fill more than 1 of the "stereotypical" roles found in MMOs. This is further compounded by the fact that you can multiclass with up to 3 different classes. This allows 1 character to fill 2 or more roles simultaneously in a party (depending on party needs).

DDO does have some time sinks, but notinhg like the go and kill x things and come back. Ok we have some of that in the explorer areas, but that is not the rule of quest design in DDO. with the new Hybrid F2P and P2P business model, you can pay and/or play as little or as much as you like. The game itself doesn't hinder you in that aspect. Quests are of varying lengths and difficulty. Some, like the explorer areas, are designed to give you something to do (even by yourself) if you only have a few minutes to kill, and still get something accomplished. Generally spekaing most quests take somewhere between 30 minutes to an hour to complete. This depends on how familiar your party is with the quest, and if they are set up roperly. Most raids last about an hour on average.

Idiots and jerks are everywhere.

For a quick and dirty idea of what DDO is like, imagine a game that is pretty much solid instances with little else (kind of like instancing in WoW, except with better, shorter, more clever dungeons) and you've pretty much got DDO nailed.

If you like cooperative play with small groups, then this game is good for you. (Questing and instances are the same thing in DDO.)

Even on easymode, this game is more challenging (and more interesting) than WoW.

Oh, and it's free. If you try it and don't like it, at worst you've lost a couple of hours.

[quote=rockaway;2696183] I played EQ1 for years, played wow for years as well. So did I, as it happensTired of paying 15 dollars a month to play with 10 yr olds and jerks.

Is DDo any good? Not to be rude, but in this context, that's a silly question. i like questing and grping/raiding

Is the free version worth it or does it have limitations? Of course it has limitations. I started free, ent Premium, now subscribe. YMMV

Is there 10 yr olds and 30 yr olds that are jerks/idiots Of course there are. But a lot less than in WoW, and even more so level 10+

Whats a challenging race/class? Wizard 7/ sorceror 7/ Barbarian 6

I dont like ezmode i would like to be challenged, wow atm isnt challenging and 90% of the people are jerks or morons Do everything playing solo on quests 2 levels or more above you, on normal, then hard, then elite difficulty. You'll be plenty challenged

Is DDO a time sink? Of course it is - all MMOs are. or can u play it a few days a week a few hrs a day and get things done? Of course you can do things in small chunks of time. do raids grps take 6 hrs That depends - raids can take forever, or be really quick, just like in every other MMO.

just want to know what im getting into A really good game, try it and see if you like it. [/quote]
    Hello! Answers in Yellow.
    My take: DDO is a really great MMORPG, but it's not a magic bullet. Some people are immature jerks, and Turbine doesn't have a mgaic "no jerks" filter. You can try the game out with full functionality, for free. See if you like it.
    Currently active

Community Member

Thank you everyone for your posts, sounds like i should be playing this game, I love the way it looks and it sounds like fun.

gonna be downloading it tonight , hope it doesnt take forever.

thank you for the positive posts, that never happens on wow forums, tells u alot about a game right there.

and thats why i posted b4 deciding if i wanted to play.

Thank you everyone for your posts, sounds like i should be playing this game, I love the way it looks and it sounds like fun.

gonna be downloading it tonight , hope it doesnt take forever.

thank you for the positive posts, that never happens on wow forums, tells u alot about a game right there.

and thats why i posted b4 deciding if i wanted to play.
    My advice: Do the full download (not using the download manager) overnight. Way easier, even if you won't be able to log on untill tomorrow.

OTOH, please yourself.
    Currently active

Community Member

yeah says no internet conectivity detected when i click on full download and TDM wont work sayd connection issue... yet im online typing in a forum right now.

Guess ill just play crappy wow since this isnt working and getting an answer is impossible

Community Member

yeah says no internet conectivity detected when i click on full download and TDM wont work sayd connection issue... yet im online typing in a forum right now.

Guess ill just play crappy wow since this isnt working and getting an answer is impossible
    I've had that same problem and I've seen threads from other people as well. It's an ISP problem and not something Turbine can fix. It will actually go away on it's own eventually. It worked for me after about 4 hours from the 1st time I tried, with nothing changed on my end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast