Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Divide XP like it should

I think you should get more XP for soloing a quest or doing it with fewer people. Just like in PnP, exp for an encounter is divided to all the characters.

Just disable it in quests that are known to be too buggy or easy for some classes to solo and impossible for others.

Take into consideration the casual player who logs on his lvl 15-20 toon and there are no groups to join for several hours. I've been in this situation several times, no groups to join and nobody joining if I make one; which I rarely do because I don't know the dungeons so I can't lead.

So to get anything done I end up soloing a quest, sometimes spending several hours and only getting 5k exp or so. The achievement feels rewarding but the xp doesn't, and I think I deserve 25k xp for being the entire party.

Some additional crazy suggestions:
    Also to make it more fair for various soloers, the game could calculate your characters challenge rating or effective level based on what gear you have and then give you xp based on that.
    For example a level 14 with the most expensive gear would be more like a lvl 17-20 casual player and can finish the quest quicker.
    Anathur - Human Paladin 17 - Khyber
    Spider - Human Rog5Ftr3 (messed up beta/early launch char)- Argonnessen

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aiwendel View Post
    I think you should get more XP for soloing a quest or doing it with fewer people. Just like in PnP, exp for an encounter is divided to all the characters..
    The difficulty is reduced if you are in a smaller party, so it already works out pretty much the same (lower EL should be lower XP and it isn't thus offseting the lack of division of xp)

I think I should get more xp for those rare times that I have the patience to drag 5 other useless people through the quest.... especially since dungeon scaling just makes it easier to solo it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw View Post
    Thriand is probably one of the more 'well endowed' players

I think I should get 5000exp every time I find the patience to round up a group of 6, and manage to get all 6 into the quest without a few getting lost, or being unflagged, or anything else.
    Star Firefall
    20 Rogue Assasin
    Currently on life 42 of 42 (Final Life!)

A casual player would have a lower CR and it would be an epic encounter to solo some of these quest. You leetsters with greensteel etc. should not get any xp at all

I'm just talking about making it possible for casual players to log on and get something done.

Some other crazy suggestions:
    How about if I can't afford 500 cure serious wounds pots to solo whatever I want? It would feel rewarding to know that I would have lost 10xp for each pot I chugged anyway and managed to do it with no pots.
    Last edited by Aiwendel; 01-09-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_the_First_One View Post
    The difficulty is reduced if you are in a smaller party, so it already works out pretty much the same (lower EL should be lower XP and it isn't thus offseting the lack of division of xp)
    I didn't know that but I have noticed that it seems a bit easier to kill the mobs.
    But it still takes a very very long time for some of the quests and the XP is way below what you should have got.

Rather than implementing a scaling of the XP for different numbers of party members, DDO has dungeon scaling for the difficulty of the quest itself for differing numbers of party members.
    It basically equates to the same thing in the long run.

A casual player would have a lower CR and it would be an epic encounter to solo some of these quest. You leetsters with greensteel etc. should not get any xp at all

I'm just talking about making it possible for casual players to log on and get something done.

How about if I can't afford 500 cure serious wounds pots to solo whatever I want? It would feel rewarding to know that I would have lost 10xp for each pot I chugged anyway and managed to do it with no pots.
    How about turbine already made it ridiculously easy to solo with dungeon scaling and are now offering the "casual" difficulty, if someone can't handle those options then I guess they can always resort to finding a group, I mean soling isn't mandatory and this is an MMO.

Community Member

The game should not give extra XP for solo, why encourage solo play in a MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Calebro View Post
    It basically equates to the same thing in the long run.
    No it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Thriand View Post
    How about turbine already made it ridiculously easy to solo with dungeon scaling and are now offering the "casual" difficulty, if someone can't handle those options then I guess they can always resort to finding a group, I mean soling isn't mandatory and this is an MMO.
    No matter how "easy" it is, it still takes a long time because no casual player has the DPS to finish quests in 5 minutes.

And yes it is an MMO but what are you supposed to do in those cases when there are no groups? Dividing XP the real way is the only way you can get anything done if you have 2 hours to play and there are no groups.

your not talking, your whining, You want all the xp then do em on elite.

your idea is whack. that is all.........................
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    Dooo00000ooooo000mmmmmm

No it doesn't.

No matter how "easy" it is, it still takes a long time because no casual player has the DPS to finish quests in 5 minutes.

And yes it is an MMO but what are you supposed to do in those cases when there are no groups? Dividing XP the real way is the only way you can get anything done if you have 2 hours to play and there are no groups.
    Hp scales too, foo.

Pretty massively. I can go walk into a level 19 quest on normal and the mobs will have 650-800 hit points when I'm alone.

If I get 5 more people to walk into the instance, that same mob will have ~1600-2000 hit points. And hit 5 times harder (for 40-50 per attack, instead of 10-15).

Quote Originally Posted by BLAKROC View Post
    your not talking, your whining, You want all the xp then do em on elite.

your idea is whack. that is all.........................
    And your spelling is whack, what's your point?

Please tell me why this is a whack idea, it would only add to the game, not take anything away from it.
    Can you come up with a better idea to get something done in this game when you have 2hrs to play and there are no groups?

No it doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Junts View Post
    Hp scales too, foo.

Pretty massively. I can go walk into a level 19 quest on normal and the mobs will have 650-800 hit points when I'm alone.

If I get 5 more people to walk into the instance, that same mob will have ~1600-2000 hit points. And hit 5 times harder (for 40-50 per attack, instead of 10-15).
    Thus substantially increasing the "actual" (if not the quoted) challenge rating of the mob, which would have significantly raised the XP, which then got divided among the party equally, leaving you with approximately what you would have had if you were alone.

In short: Yes it does.

Please tell me why this is a whack idea, it would only add to the game, not take anything away from it.
    Can you come up with a better idea to get something done in this game when you have 2hrs to play and there are no groups?
    Because then every experienced player would solo because quests are not 6x faster for them with a full group.

Even if you undid scaling, twinked characters can solo pretty much all the way to the level cap, and quite easily.

You made the choice to go in solo, the quests are already easier, get better and complete them faster or make a group.

And yes it is an MMO but what are you supposed to do in those cases when there are no groups?
    Step 1: Make your own group
    Step 2: ??????
    Step 3: Profit

Dividing XP the real way is the only way you can get anything done if you have 2 hours to play and there are no groups.
    2 hours to play is plenty of time to get a casual gaming group together and get something done. Causing the xp to be "split" only gives more cause for people to not group and only hurts casual gamers in the long run.

make friends, that tend to log on at the same time as you do.......................

and your idea would add nothing to the game except allow YOU to get mass xp for doing easy mode .................where is the win in that??
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    Dooo00000ooooo000mmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Junts View Post
    Hp scales too, foo.

Well it's definitely not five times harder. Not only because the mobs don't have five times more hit points in your rough example, but also you (your party) gets flanking bonus, your aura gives everyone boosts and so do buffs.
    The 2000 HP mob will go down way quicker.

The point is I don't have the data to demonstrate it, but I'm 99% certain that there is no way a casual player can get good XP for soloing or running small groups (in the beginning at least). It WILL take much longer to bring the mobs down and the XP for that encounter is not as it should be.
    Last edited by Aiwendel; 01-09-2010 at 06:24 PM.

2015 DDO Players Council Ironforge_Clan's Avatar

I'm a casual player and I think these new ideas and changes are disgusting! What turbine is doing is making this game too easy! I've been playing for 3 years now and had to grind my way for every achievement I've earned. Now you f2p noobs get everything handed to you on a silver platter with an easy button.

Please stop this insane dumbing down of this game!
    Axebiter, Cujo, Runeforge, Runefury, Runegoth, Runehealer, Runehamer, Runehorde, Runenight, Runesongs, Runezephyr
    And the forgotten: Runeaura, Runedevourer, Herstinkie, Runewolf,
    Caught somewhere between casual player and power gamer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast