Thread: Blacksmithy

Default Blacksmithy

I'm certain this suggestion or at least similar suggestions have been posted many many -many- times before. But I'll post it again to ensure the dead horse is thoroughly flogged.

Give us a Blacksmithy wherein we can edit our armor to our liking.

It's fairly evident that all armors in the game are based on a skin for the model, an "Overlay" layer with added polygonal objects, and a Palette option. These layers and options are randomly rolled on at the "creation" of a given armor, outfit, or robe.

I ask that there be a pair of Blacksmiths put into the game (One in Kundarak, one in Deneith) to allow us to edit the appearance of our equipment. Make use of these special vendors limited if you must to VIP players or a store-purchase. Have each use cost exorbitant amounts of gold, if you like. Or require a quest in advance. Or both! Or add in another "Go Fetch" item that can be turned in to alter your gear similar to Fred the Mindflayer's Crystal!

Please. I beg this of you!

You would get players who are happier in their ability to edit their armor. Some would spend hours if not days running through all of their alts and retooling their gear's appearance. Many more would drop a few thousand every several levels as they find or purchase ever better armor!

I do, of course, understand the need to keep certain "Unique" items unique. Simply make the Black and Blue Dragonscale elements unusable and those armors unable to be edited. Same thing for the "Bloodplate" underarmor. I'm fine with that! Or, heck!~ Make each of the "Special" options unlockable through finding and equipping that armor or putting it into the Blacksmith's window. Even make them Turbine Point expenditures!

This would make your player base happier. It would be something opposing MMOs tend to ignore. And it would make players spend time and money on your game.

Really can't make it any more attractive than that!

-Rachel-

i totaly agree, this is a great feature that needs adding to the game - many people care about the aesthetics of their characters to the extent that they will use sup par equipment just to get the image there happy with. let us at the very least dye our armor.

further more i agree that this option should probably cost turbine points (though not too many) , despite being a premium account holder i agree that vips need options for items to spend their points on other than hair dies and xp pots.

Quote Originally Posted by bigolbear View Post
    many people care about the aesthetics of their characters to the extent that they will use sup par equipment just to get the image there happy with. let us at the very least dye our armor.
    Who? I need names so I don't have to group with people who want to look good whilst being pikers.
    ________________One of Two Kings_________________
    *Runix*Lazarath*Drednauht*Slaadi*Malrauthin*Umaru*

Community Member AestorTheKnight's Avatar

Default Please Refer to my other Thread. :)

Hi Steampunkie!

Thanks for your cool post! Yes I am in complete agreement with you that the option for players to Customise their Armour skins (Helmets, Shields and Weapons too) in DDO is really really needed. And I know that I, and you and probably the rest of the DDO players would really like to see it in game. So I hope Turbine will add it soon?! =D

I started a thread discussing this exact same issue a few weeks back. Please check it out, post your thoughts on my ideas and Vote to show your approval I hope. See this Thread:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=220468

I have approached the matter from a slightly different angle, although I suggested the exact same idea as you (That of useing the House Kunderak and Denieth Basic Weapon/Armour Vendors to change your skins for you, as in a Blacksmithy - please see #4. An alternative way to change armour skins.), focusing more on allowing players to Change their own armour/weapon/shield/helmet Skins in the Stone of Change useing a "Go Fetch" item as you termed it. I think both are great ideas, just as long as we have a way to Customise our gears appearance.

I sort of disagree with you that Unique Armour skins should be exempt from this Process, IE Blue or Black Dragonscale armours, or things like Kunderak Delving Suit (The Dragon Raid chainmail that has a unique skin). Although I agree with you that these armour skins should have to be "Unlocked" by the player, most easily, by actually acquiring the specific unique armour in the first place. IE you shouldnt be able to go into house K Blacksmithy at level 2 and make your +1 Full Plate look like Black Dragonscale Plate, you must actually have a Black Dragon Scale Plate in your backpack in order to change your armour to that look.

The reason I think Unique armour skins should be available to customise your armour with, is because there is actually no good reason not to. At the end of the day, the way your character looks in game has absolutely NO EFFECT on Gameplay Mechanics whatsoever. How your armour or shield or weapon looks, does not effect the stats of that equipment. If you want your level 2 Cleric in Waterworks to have a suit of +2 Full Plate that looks like Black Dragonplate, why not?? I mean can you actually think of a real reason why not, other than that it would just be "Too cool!"

Thanks again for your post Steampunkie, and your support for this important appearance issue.

I will update my thread to discuss the ideas you mention in more detail, and link this thread too.

Cheers and best wishes,
    Aestor The Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Waukeen View Post
    Who? I need names so I don't have to group with people who want to look good whilst being pikers.
    I have a set of armor I wear in town for looks and another set I use for questing. This option would allow me to put graphic I like on the armor I wear for quests.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Quote Originally Posted by AestorTheKnight View Post
    Hi Steampunkie!

Thanks for your cool post! Yes I am in complete agreement with you that the option for players to Customise their Armour skins (Helmets, Shields and Weapons too) in DDO is really really needed. And I know that I, and you and probably the rest of the DDO players would really like to see it in game. So I hope Turbine will add it soon?! =D

I started a thread discussing this exact same issue a few weeks back. Please check it out, post your thoughts on my ideas and Vote to show your approval I hope. See this Thread:

I have approached the matter from a slightly different angle, although I suggested the exact same idea as you (That of useing the House Kunderak and Denieth Basic Weapon/Armour Vendors to change your skins for you, as in a Blacksmithy - please see #4. An alternative way to change armour skins.), focusing more on allowing players to Change their own armour/weapon/shield/helmet Skins in the Stone of Change useing a "Go Fetch" item as you termed it. I think both are great ideas, just as long as we have a way to Customise our gears appearance.

I sort of disagree with you that Unique Armour skins should be exempt from this Process, IE Blue or Black Dragonscale armours, or things like Kunderak Delving Suit (The Dragon Raid chainmail that has a unique skin). Although I agree with you that these armour skins should have to be "Unlocked" by the player, most easily, by actually acquiring the specific unique armour in the first place. IE you shouldnt be able to go into house K Blacksmithy at level 2 and make your +1 Full Plate look like Black Dragonscale Plate, you must actually have a Black Dragon Scale Plate in your backpack in order to change your armour to that look.

The reason I think Unique armour skins should be available to customise your armour with, is because there is actually no good reason not to. At the end of the day, the way your character looks in game has absolutely NO EFFECT on Gameplay Mechanics whatsoever. How your armour or shield or weapon looks, does not effect the stats of that equipment. If you want your level 2 Cleric in Waterworks to have a suit of +2 Full Plate that looks like Black Dragonplate, why not?? I mean can you actually think of a real reason why not, other than that it would just be "Too cool!"

Thanks again for your post Steampunkie, and your support for this important appearance issue.

I will update my thread to discuss the ideas you mention in more detail, and link this thread too.

Cheers and best wishes,
    Aestor The Knight

I think the idea of "unique" armor, is just that, it's unique. One shouldn't be able to copy that
    skin over their regular armors.The ability to change armor skins/color would be nice, but unique
    item skins could easily create a false representation of abilities/skills. As some have mentioned
    in the past, a viewed armor slot (as in LOTRO) could take a new item slot, with little difficulty.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Doomcrew View Post
    I think the idea of "unique" armor, is just that, it's unique. One shouldn't be able to copy that
    skin over their regular armors.The ability to change armor skins/color would be nice, but unique
    item skins could easily create a false representation of abilities/skills. As some have mentioned
    in the past, a viewed armor slot (as in LOTRO) could take a new item slot, with little difficulty.

Cheers
    Yeah, I think I'd be less than happy if people could copy the skin for Dragonscale or Dragontouched or some other named armor over to a normal armor. It just screams "poseur", like the people who buy "Luis Vuitton" handbags from street vendors in New York City for $25

But it'd be nice to be able to use some of the nicer random skins to swap with some of the...less than nice ones. Especially for some of the godawful skins that seem to plague Mithril armors. I know I had this bright acid green lvl 8 Robe of Heavy Fort that would make my eyes hurt if I looked at it too long (tended to use barkskin/stoneskin to lessen to "damage" lol). I would have loved to trade the look with this really nice black robe with blue trim that I had for a while
    * Sohryu * (Life #25: 13 BRD / 1 FTR / 1 ROG)
    Completionist // Epic Completionist // Triple Iconic Completionist
    Ravensguard (200) - Now in Flower Sniffer Lavender

Quote Originally Posted by Letrii View Post
    I have a set of armor I wear in town for looks and another set I use for questing. This option would allow me to put graphic I like on the armor I wear for quests.
    I was being facicious. I put together a shield of legend for the death door shield on my intimitank, just for its look. I only use it around beholders, and when I want to look BAD@$$.
    ________________One of Two Kings_________________
    *Runix*Lazarath*Drednauht*Slaadi*Malrauthin*Umaru*

Smilies help to transfer facetiousness of your post, else someone might take you seriously, like i did.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirea View Post
    Yeah, I think I'd be less than happy if people could copy the skin for Dragonscale or Dragontouched or some other named armor over to a normal armor. It just screams "poseur", like the people who buy "Luis Vuitton" handbags from street vendors in New York City for $25

But it'd be nice to be able to use some of the nicer random skins to swap with some of the...less than nice ones. Especially for some of the godawful skins that seem to plague Mithril armors. I know I had this bright acid green lvl 8 Robe of Heavy Fort that would make my eyes hurt if I looked at it too long (tended to use barkskin/stoneskin to lessen to "damage" lol). I would have loved to trade the look with this really nice black robe with blue trim that I had for a while
    How about a compromise? You can only use the "Rare Item" skins if you've placed the "Rare Item" in question into the window with nothing else and clicked "Ok"? It changes a switch bound to your -character- (not account) so that you can use some other armor that looks like Dragonscale.

To avoid Posers (People making "Dragonscale" armor from level 1 equipment and then selling it) We could make part of the requirement to alter armor be that it be bound to the character. It also avoids people trying to sell "Rare" armors that aren't really rare at all, scamming newblets out of hard earned coins!

-Rachel-

/signed

Community Member AestorTheKnight's Avatar

Lyetisha - there isnt actually a Poll on this thread, so im not sure what it is you are /signing for.

If you are looking to Vote for your approval for Players abilities to Change their Armour Skins, you might want to check out this thread

Thanks!

In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.

I fully concure with Steampunkie.

At high levels you see a whole army of Dragontouched Armor wearers. Their armors might have totally different enchantments, yet almost 70% of the people look alike there.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

AOK - From Argonnessen