Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Horrorscope View Post
    I would put Proof of Poison and Feather Fall in the top list. Disease Immunity Item would be nice as well. Might want to post this on the New Player Tips forum.
    I was under the assumption that free to play (not premium) were unable to read, or at least post, in anything but the free player forums..

We were on the same wavelength...

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=222650

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kalari View Post
    Actually in higher levels and in many explorer areas poison immunity or neutralization is important.
    Untrue. There is poison in many places, but it is not important until you reach Pit Fiends or Epic. The worst it can do is a little con damage which will fade by itself in a minute or two.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWizard View Post
    I was under the assumption that free to play (not premium) were unable to read, or at least post, in anything but the free player forums..

Yeah that is good stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWizard View Post

I thought so too, but I found that I can make posts on the fighter forums (I've done three) and 'start' new threads (though I haven't actually submitted anything yet).

Maybe when you hit Drow it lifts? I dunno.

And heck, if this post works it'll prove myself right as well!

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdemeritt View Post
    Why would you want to remove your feet anyways? Sounds painful.

Sorry bout the derailment, but good overall advice... however for arcane caster, pick up resist energy spell when you can... it is really helpful.
    no no he said feat...I want this elusive feat stealing item...imagine slowing getting more feats by extracting them from other players...people would be ****ed lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

+1 rep to the OP. This is an outstanding post and something I figured out by playing for several weeks but it makes a HUGE difference. For what you can get from a couple Vials of Pure Water on the AH you can have 5 of each potion for Curse, Poison, Disease, Blindness, L. Restore, and Remove Fear. If a character reads this, picks up everything they find, and pays attention they should have most of this stuff some time around level 2 or 3 (depending on how fast they come to the harbor). It's important and it makes a big difference to effectiveness.

If this gets added as a sticky somewhere I'd suggest a link to the directions on creating new bars. I think it's a fairly easy process but not everyone playing the game is going to intuitively know how to do that. And I'm sure DDO has the instructions posted somewhere already.

Great List.

I recommend adding Resist Sonic 20 pots to the list. You might as well buy 100 of all 5 and the 100 sonics will last you a while. I use them any time there's an Orthon around. Sonic is often forgotten by buffers so it's nice to have the pot available. I have all 5 in a row on the same bar and just go down the list when I'm soloing or not buffed.

A stack of Jump potions is also a great idea for a new player. There aren't a lot of places where you'll need high jump skill for extended periods. But there are LOADS of places where you need a burst of jump and a potion is the perfect solution.

As for Planar girds, I carried FIVE until I could no-fail UMD a Greater Heroism scroll. Greater Heroism is too helpful to not have going 100% of the time. Now, getting five Planar Girds isn't very easy but my advice is that just because you have one, doesn't mean you hit the gold jackpot when you pull your second. Keep it, don't sell it!

Basic, universal rogue build advice
    "Not in the face! Not in the faaaaaace!"

Up, and some good tips in the replies, thanks for the great suggestions.
    READ ME NEW PLAYERS!!!
    Aeneas - Boosterseat - Eulogy - Diminutive - Moths

I've been told that all the stuff i list is far too much, and if you look at it all as a new player that's probably true. Just concentrate on the first set of 10, the other stuff you can afford later when the money comes rolling in.
    READ ME NEW PLAYERS!!!

Community Member

F2P cannot post here, so they are unlikely to have read this post.
    Eridies level 19 wizard.
    My PUGs are great!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post
    For what you can get from a couple Vials of Pure Water on the AH you can have 5 of each potion for Curse, Poison, Disease, Blindness, L. Restore, and Remove Fear. If a character reads this, picks up everything they find, and pays attention they should have most of this stuff some time around level 2 or 3 (depending on how fast they come to the harbor). It's important and it makes a big difference to effectiveness.
    Thank you for mentioning this. There are a few collectibles, such as vials of pure water, and luminescent dust... that high level toons are willing to pay for (eldritch recipes!). I would gladly buy a noob some pots for these certain collectibles
    Check out my: My Index of Builds / My Capped Characters on Khyber: Krythan II / Velkro Sorcerer / Krythen 13/6/1 Rogue
    Need Some XP? / AFK for a bit: School. / See WF Body Feat Appearances

Bump.
    READ ME NEW PLAYERS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    UA was changed to ML 7 in Mod 9/EU. ML0 UA Items are insanely priced on the AH now because of this.
    Ah, so I'm glad I have about 6 or 7 min level zero UA items saved up from the olde days then.

I wondered about that, since I kept getting ML7 UA drops lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
    Another thread has just reminded me of something i've been meaning to post. Regardless of what class you are playing you should have almost everything need to take care of yourself or heal whatever ailment may befall you during your questing. That said, i am requesting that all new players make a concerted effort to follow the set of tips i'm about to lay down with regards to self sufficiency. Trust me when i say that being self sufficient and prepared for quests will not only impress the people you group with but will also greatly increase your chance for survival and might even help get you into a decent guild someday.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way - I am recommending that each and every one of you dedicates one whole hotbar to being self sufficient. Each bar gives you 10 slots so here is a practical list of things that you should fill that bar with to make you a better, more bearable quest mate.

1. Cure or Repair potions - the highest you are able to drink and as many as you can afford (generally between 50-100 is good enough for any one questastrophe)

2. Remove Curse

3. Remove Poison

4. Remove Disease

5. Remove Blindness

6. Lesser Restoration

7. Deathward Clicky from tangleroot quest chain

8. Remove Fear Clicky

9. Detect Secret Doors Clicky

10. Underwater Action Ring Clicky you receive in Korthos.

The deathward clicky aside - these all require minimal effort to obtain either from a vendor or the AH at super low prices. So, next time you log-in, make sure your self sufficieny bar is well stocked and you have done your due dilligence to prepare for whatever quest may be coming next. Your cleric will be much more likely to bother healing you if you've made the effort to protect yourself.

If you've got the bank for a second bar, here are some recommendations to further your ability to be self sufficient.

1. Heroism potions

2. Haste potions

3. Rage potions/Barkskin potions depending on whether or not you care about your AC.

4. Protection from fire potions (most other elements are not usually needed, but if you know you have big elec or ice damage coming up in a quest, then by all means grab the other varieties as well.)

5. A fully upgraded silver flame necklace from the Necropolis

6,7,8,9. Resist fire, acid, elec, cold potions, 20 point versions are available in the twelve and you'll have a hard time finding a spot where sonic will kill you.

10. Planar Gird - this item can be difficult to get your hands on as a new player but is worth every penny and is something you will find a use for throughout the life of your character. It allows you to cast Greater Heroism on yourself which gives a +4 bonus to hit, saves, and skills and makes you immune to fear and despair. Very Choice.

Some other helpful clickies and potions include:

- Aid for a small preparatory health boost before a big fight, or as a way to pop up an incapacitated party member.

- superior spell augmentation potions which help a great deal in boosting your early damage spells during tough battles (superior brilliance III pots for example
    before fighting the vampire in house P will give you uber searing light).

- Archivist's necklace the double mnemonic enhancement clicky you can get after completing misery's peak is a great little boost for any class that uses spell points

- A feather fall item, ring of feathers from end chest in STK or even just a 3/day clickie are fine for early questing.

- Clickies of fox's cunning or owl's wisdom which may help you or a party member get their ability scores high enough to use a rune or find and disable a tough trap.
    Last night I ran two tempest spines, with 9/12 the exact same folks.

These were level 9-12 folks.

4 of the people running did not have blindness cures, 5 did not have poison, at least 4 did not have lesser resto. I accept that can happen the first run....but the same folks did not have it on the SECOND run.

I request permission to put this thread in my signature. Further, to email the URL to folks who I see repeatedly not carrying these things.

muffinsnippy
    Now Diving in Lava, with the Lava Divers.

AKA, Cb,Cg,Cj,Cl,Co,Cp,Cq,Cr,Cs,Ct,Cw,Cx,Cz and...Edvard. All the other C's were taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    Untrue. There is poison in many places, but it is not important until you reach Pit Fiends or Epic. The worst it can do is a little con damage which will fade by itself in a minute or two.
    Generally true, but I think any area with lots of Trogs deserves a mention. Proof against Poison saves you from running around and fighting as if you're stuck in molasses, which can be a lifesaver.

Also Feeblemind was mentioned as a bane for casters, but any Paladin will tell you that Feeblemind is very bad for us, too. No Lay on Hands, no spells, Smite loses its bite drastically, your saves plummet, all sorts of nasty stuff. In Menechtarun I'd save my Sovereignty in case I was hit with it, which was all too common from those stupid Arcane undead. But it was always good to have Minor Mnemonic pots to cheaply dispose of this problem.

Touch of Idiocy used to be bad too, although that is getting the nerf bat. Come to think of it, Feeblemind is too...

Quote Originally Posted by muffinlad View Post

4 of the people running did not have blindness cures, 5 did not have poison, at least 4 did not have lesser resto. I accept that can happen the first run....but the same folks did not have it on the SECOND run.

I request permission to put this thread in my signature. Further, to email the URL to folks who I see repeatedly not carrying these things.

muffinsnippy
    You can do whatever you like with my thread, muffinrequester.
    READ ME NEW PLAYERS!!!

On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere, Leaving Anyplace...

Quote Originally Posted by ...v... View Post
    Dont forget to send some PP to that new player for all those pots.

I have never bought a potion yet (except some light healing early on) and I have a mule almost full of them and a backpack on each toon devoted to them. Literally hundreds. I can't understand why people buy so many when I can't seem to get rid of them fast enough. I really only use them soloing on Elite. I'm not saying I'm uber or anything, its just that most times I forget to use them and most times it doesn't seem to matter all that much.

Thumbs up

all these, from a healer point of view are very awesome to carry, and indeed, I for one am always thankful when ppl have some stuff to take care of themselves; leaves more mana avail for heals.
    out of all of them, the two that stand out the most of the curative's are Nuetralize poisen and remove curse.....can't tall how much sp i've fired off in fixin ppl up who've been affected by both.

Great post!

Get your coin lord favor up quickly since all these items take up space and that extra bag is nice. Also once you have learned your instances you don't have to bring it all since most instances don't have mobs that cast all the debuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by muffinlad View Post

muffinsnippy
    TR'ing again? LOL.
    Gum Shoe~Human RogueHackin Slash~Human Fighter
    Timkin~Human Sorc Aarone Stone~Human Bard
    Tarnaa~Human Cleric TipseeMcStagger~Human Monk/Ranger
    Alcaden~Human Stalwart Fighter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast