Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Player? Please read

Another thread has just reminded me of something i've been meaning to post. Regardless of what class you are playing you should have almost everything need to take care of yourself or heal whatever ailment may befall you during your questing. That said, i am requesting that all new players make a concerted effort to follow the set of tips i'm about to lay down with regards to self sufficiency. Trust me when i say that being self sufficient and prepared for quests will not only impress the people you group with but will also greatly increase your chance for survival and might even help get you into a decent guild someday.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way - I am recommending that each and every one of you dedicates one whole hotbar to being self sufficient. Each bar gives you 10 slots so here is a practical list of things that you should fill that bar with to make you a better, more bearable quest mate.

1. Cure or Repair potions - the highest you are able to drink and as many as you can afford (generally between 50-100 is good enough for any one questastrophe)

2. Remove Curse

3. Remove Poison

4. Remove Disease

5. Remove Blindness

6. Lesser Restoration

7. Deathward Clicky from tangleroot quest chain

8. Remove Fear Clicky

9. Detect Secret Doors Clicky

10. Underwater Action Ring Clicky you receive in Korthos.

The deathward clicky aside - these all require minimal effort to obtain either from a vendor or the AH at super low prices. So, next time you log-in, make sure your self sufficieny bar is well stocked and you have done your due dilligence to prepare for whatever quest may be coming next. Your cleric will be much more likely to bother healing you if you've made the effort to protect yourself.

If you've got the bank for a second bar, here are some recommendations to further your ability to be self sufficient.

1. Heroism potions

2. Haste potions

3. Rage potions/Barkskin potions depending on whether or not you care about your AC.

4. Protection from fire potions (most other elements are not usually needed, but if you know you have big elec or ice damage coming up in a quest, then by all means grab the other varieties as well.)

5. A fully upgraded silver flame necklace from the Necropolis

6,7,8,9. Resist fire, acid, elec, cold potions, 20 point versions are available in the twelve and you'll have a hard time finding a spot where sonic will kill you.

10. Planar Gird - this item can be difficult to get your hands on as a new player but is worth every penny and is something you will find a use for throughout the life of your character. It allows you to cast Greater Heroism on yourself which gives a +4 bonus to hit, saves, and skills and makes you immune to fear and despair. Very Choice.

Some other helpful clickies and potions include:

- Aid for a small preparatory health boost before a big fight, or as a way to pop up an incapacitated party member.

- superior spell augmentation potions which help a great deal in boosting your early damage spells during tough battles (superior brilliance III pots for example
    before fighting the vampire in house P will give you uber searing light).

- Archivist's necklace the double mnemonic enhancement clicky you can get after completing misery's peak is a great little boost for any class that uses spell points

- A feather fall item, ring of feathers from end chest in STK or even just a 3/day clickie are fine for early questing.

- Clickies of fox's cunning or owl's wisdom which may help you or a party member get their ability scores high enough to use a rune or find and disable a tough trap.
    Last edited by Aeneas; 01-04-2010 at 07:47 PM.
    READ ME NEW PLAYERS!!!
    Aeneas - Boosterseat - Eulogy - Diminutive - Moths

/signed
    Also try to get house P favor for the buffs!
    Nice thread bud

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    "I like pie. Pie is delicious." "You know, cake is better", and a sudden nerf gun war breaks out because Pie is supreme. Then someone says, "What about dinner?"

To add to that for those who say they cannot afford to have potions there are ways of getting them free:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=217679

May seem like a shameless plug but its not these turn ins can mean you saving gold and having items to cure status ailments like blindness, curse, and disease also plenty of hp regenerating items and heal pots.

Good list OP
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Time Bandit

By the way -- you can't use the remove fear clickie on yourself, you can only use it on groupmates.

Found that out the hard way...
    Last edited by Vanshilar; 01-08-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Of course, I meant FEAR...no one in their right mind would keep a clickie that removed their feats...

Agree with everything except UA.

UA was changed to ML 7 in Mod 9/EU. ML0 UA Items are insanely priced on the AH now because of this.

UA is not really needed until late in the game anyway. and even then a potion is all thats needed to get by.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Vanshilar View Post
    By the way -- you can't use the remove feat clickie on yourself,
    Why would you want to remove your feet anyways? Sounds painful.

Sorry bout the derailment, but good overall advice... however for arcane caster, pick up resist energy spell when you can... it is really helpful.
    (Say): Haywire says, '"Hey, I don't come into yer home and play with things."'

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    Agree with everything except UA.

UA was changed to ML 7 in Mod 9/EU. ML0 UA Items are insanely priced on the AH now because of this.

UA is not really needed until late in the game anyway. and even then a potion is all thats needed to get by.
    Ah, didn't know that impaqt, thanks. In that case, don't destroy your waterbreathing ring clicky you get when you first start - there's really only two instances i can think of where you'd really need more than that.
    READ ME NEW PLAYERS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanshilar View Post
    By the way -- you can't use the remove feat clickie on yourself, you can only use it on groupmates.

Found that out the hard way...
    If I get one of these do I have to change my name to Fred?
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    If I get one of these do I have to change my name to Fred?

Thats Ferd!

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    "I like pie. Pie is delicious." "You know, cake is better", and a sudden nerf gun war breaks out because Pie is supreme. Then someone says, "What about dinner?"

Lots of character classes can also use wands which are cheaper.

Korthos gear that all players can get:
    1. Axblock or spearblock bracers
    2. Aid clicky as many as you can carry. Offsets damage and raises incapacitated.
    3. feather fall cape

And while some find the quest long and boring the catacombs does offer that eternal cure minor wounds wand. yeah its not the greatest but ive gotten many people from incapped using that thing.

Thumbs up

You should change the title to "New and Veteran players" please read!

I see a lot of Veteran players not carrying a lot of items on your list and requesting them often.

So, If you are running high level content there is no excuse to not have most of the items on this list!

Not carrying them is just plain lazy....
    Last edited by DarkSpectre; 01-04-2010 at 05:13 PM.
    "Khyber Server" The Crown Jewel of DDO Main Alts. Darkelvis, Thickelvis, Almostelvis, Holyelvis, Lil-elvis

Quote Originally Posted by spifflove View Post
    Korthos gear that all players can get:
    2. Aid clicky as many as you can carry. Offsets damage and raises incapacitated.
    I thought this deserved a second mentioning... if you use an aid spell on an incapacitated party member, you will heal them enough to bring them back up.

Haste, heroism, barkskin, rage, and potions that increase effectiveness are always a good thing, and should be in your inventory. However I find it to be much less important to have these then having potions/wands that are curative in nature (cure X wounds, remove curse, lesser restore, remove disease) and my experience is that those are the potions that you should have first and foremost, everything else is gravy.

If the cost of 50 - 100 potions of remove curse, lesser restore, resist X, and the like are a little off putting then due to lack of funds then I suggest carrying 20. Collectables are a great way of getting free potions and are often overlooked.

Most of the time I barely touch the potions I buy, and the majority get passed down from one character to another as I tend to have clickies for a lot of the remove X potions. However these aren't in your inventory because you will always need them, but for the odd times that you do. Cause when you need these potions you really really need them.

Good input all, thanks and updated.
    READ ME NEW PLAYERS!!!

Updated.
    READ ME NEW PLAYERS!!!

Dont forget to send some PP to that new player for all those pots.

I would put Proof of Poison and Feather Fall in the top list. Disease Immunity Item would be nice as well. Might want to post this on the New Player Tips forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Horrorscope View Post
    I would put Proof of Poison and Feather Fall in the top list. Disease Immunity Item would be nice as well. Might want to post this on the New Player Tips forum.
    I find having disease immunity very helpful in general, and posion only so so helpful in some quests. Featherfall is extreamly helpful although again situational when you need it, but when you do need it you need it!

Also if your a caster of any flavor, get use to having to have sp pots to cure feeblemind (about mid levels is when you will get hit with it)... /sigh wish the minor's would be sold on a vender but they aren't so you have to either hord them, buy them on the ah, or use DDO points for them (bleh).

Quote Originally Posted by aerieon View Post
    I find having disease immunity very helpful in general, and posion only so so helpful in some quests. Featherfall is extreamly helpful although again situational when you need it, but when you do need it you need it!

Also if your a caster of any flavor, get use to having to have sp pots to cure feeblemind (about mid levels is when you will get hit with it)... /sigh wish the minor's would be sold on a vender but they aren't so you have to either hord them, buy them on the ah, or use DDO points for them (bleh).
    Actually in higher levels and in many explorer areas poison immunity or neutralization is important. Heck even in Cerulean Hills the bugbear assassins tend to use poison tipped weapons and if you dont get it healed it does con or str damage. And your definitely right about the sp pots but as my little collectible guide says you can turn in the tomes (prophesies of Khyber, Tome of Aurum and the like to Giles Goodman and his clones in House K and the marketplace for a chance at a minor potion. And those minor potions are good for melee's who are feebleminded as well specially those who require "combat expertise" for their builds and losing that intel drops you out of that I believe.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast