Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Solo Focused Build Suggestions

Greetings!
    I have just begun playing DDO and I was wondering if I could possibly get some recommendations for build templates. I viewed the Turbine ones and then read the forums and apparently those are not that good. To give you a little background, I have played many MMO's and old school ADD P&P (yes, I am that old). I have a busy life with wife, kids, etc. and do not have lots of time to invest on a nightly basis, which is why I quit the last MMO after 5 years. I would like a character that I can pretty much solo with. I have no problem unlocking the monk class or any other for that matter. I have read many posts about character creation and have noticed many pros and cons between "pure" and "hybrid" characters and have noticed many strong opinions about battleclerics, ranged, etc. I am not one who appreciates flaming posts so if you are not interested then just please don't post. Yes, I am a noob but I have been playing MMO's and P&P ADD for a VERY long time. Any help with a solo build would be appreciated. I would like to be able to fight, heal, and open chests/picklocks. I don't have to be GREAT at all of it (it's never been possible) but I will be playing solo most of the time. Thank you in advance for your help.
    Regards,
    Theo

Community Member

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=164323

I run a build like this I changed it a little bit but same pretty much the same. I mostly have to solo b/c of kids and RL and also this build lets me do 3 roles at one time so when I grp with my 2 friends we dont have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Teilean View Post
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=164323

I run a build like this I changed it a little bit but same pretty much the same. I mostly have to solo b/c of kids and RL and also this build lets me do 3 roles at one time so when I grp with my 2 friends we dont have any problems.
    Thank you for your reply Teilean. I have read many of Valiance posts and I do remember seeing this build. I wasn't sure if it was a "beginners" build or not so I was hoping someone would comment on it. Thank you. Do you use the Halfling race? They are HORRIBLE looking....lol! I was hoping maybe a Human or Elf would be an okay substitute but apparently the Halfling race brings some extras to the table. I am new to DDO so I really have NO IDEA about where to start and I don't really want to make a toon that I will have to delete because I didn't spec right. The game mechanics here are FAR MORE CHALLENGING than other MMO's I have played, which is a breath of fresh air, but there is so much to take into account that it is overwhelming at the moment. Anyhow, thank you for your input, it is much appreciated!
    Regards,
    Theo

Default Hmmm...

Can't comment on the build, it's certainly very gear dependent at high levels, but no extraordinary tomes or what-not.

If you're a new player You will need 32 point build at level 1 (~1500 TPs) and monk by level 4 (~500 TPs) if you want to go with that build - if you're F2P or Premium, that'll cost you 2000ish TPs, or 1500 if you're VIP - so if those are tight, you may want to go with a more conventional build.
    Currently active

Quote Originally Posted by Kralgnax View Post
    Can't comment on the build, it's certainly very gear dependent at high levels, but no extraordinary tomes or what-not.

If you're a new player You will need 32 point build at level 1 (~1500 TPs) and monk by level 4 (~500 TPs) if you want to go with that build - if you're F2P or Premium, that'll cost you 2000ish TPs, or 1500 if you're VIP - so if those are tight, you may want to go with a more conventional build.
    Thank you Kralgnax,
    Yes, I am a new F2P player at the moment until I decide if I am going to stay. Going premium or VIP for a time is not an issue, nor is buying TPS for that matter. Do you have any suggestions for solo builds? If not, do you know of any other links that might? I have no problem playing a "pure" class either as long as I can do what needs to be done while soloing (ie. Heal self, melee/cast, open chests/picklocks). Thank you again for your input.
    Regards,
    Theo

Community Member

I dont have a broad experience, but i have been looking for builds for Solo play cause i have the same restrictions than you.
    From what i have researched, clerics with some melee capability are the best chars to play solo, you could go a 18/2 cleric fighter, or maybe splash monk, or monk and rogue as Valiance build, the fighter splash seems the easier to start, and you can try more complicated builds once you feel comfortable with your game abilities.
    I personally will do a Paladin/rogue 18/2 once i farm enough points to unlock drow, because i like paladins and are good to solo too.
    Another good class to solo are Bard Warchanters, in general you will want some way to heal yourself, spells (cleric or bards) or wand/scroll use (ranger or pala for wands, or some rogue splash to maximize UMD)
    In the hands of an experienced player most classes are soloables, the ones i listed are the easier ones.
    Finally, this post: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=214725 the best guide to soloing that i have found.

WF Sorc (20).

(28 points)
    STR 14
    DEX 08
    CON 14
    INT 10
    CHA 16

Skill points in concentration, umd. All lvl up points in CHA. I'd advise getting Veteran status and starting at
    L4. You can solo nearly every _quest_ in the game with one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctigis View Post
    WF Sorc (20).

(28 points)
    STR 14
    DEX 08
    CON 14
    INT 10
    CHA 16

Skill points in concentration, umd. All lvl up points in CHA. I'd advise getting Veteran status and starting at
    Hello Arctigis,
    Thank you for the reply. I haven't seen many solo caster builds so this is very much appreciated. I very much prefer casters, always have. "Pure" caster builds seem to be rare here but maybe I am just missing them. I am coming over from another game where I have played a caster for years so this might be just for me. Any reason why WF and not another race? Just curious, I have no experience here. Thank you for your time.
    Regards,
    Theo

P.S. What is veteran status? ....sigh...sorry for the dumb question.

Quote Originally Posted by Gercho View Post
    I dont have a broad experience, but i have been looking for builds for Solo play cause i have the same restrictions than you.
    From what i have researched, clerics with some melee capability are the best chars to play solo, you could go a 18/2 cleric fighter, or maybe splash monk, or monk and rogue as Valiance build, the fighter splash seems the easier to start, and you can try more complicated builds once you feel comfortable with your game abilities.
    I personally will do a Paladin/rogue 18/2 once i farm enough points to unlock drow, because i like paladins and are good to solo too.
    OK. What about like Cleric/Rogue? I have seen old posts by Impaqt on one of these builds but the builds are not current so I do not know if they will work. Why do you choose Drow for the palladin build? Just curious.

Another good class to solo are Bard Warchanters, in general you will want some way to heal yourself, spells (cleric or bards) or wand/scroll use (ranger or pala for wands, or some rogue splash to maximize UMD)
    So is that like 18 Bard / 2 of xxx?

In the hands of an experienced player most classes are soloables, the ones i listed are the easier ones.
    Finally, this post: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=214725 the best guide to soloing that i have found.
    Thank you so much for this link, I am sure it will be invaluable.

All your suggestions are very much appreciated and I will think about them all.
    Regards,
    Theo

imo...wf wizard 18/rogue 2...gives evasion and trap skills and self healing...not too gear intensive unless you want it to be...wont need any dex points at all if u take the insightful reflexes feat (adds int mod to reflex save instead of dex)...and with wiz u can change your spells anytime u want so u can get a feel for wat spells u like...hope this helps good luck to u
    Trade List: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=238811

Yinyang~~Punchdrunk~~PlanetTerror~~Hobo with a Shotgun~~Deathproof~~Woodstock

Community Member

Cleric/rogue is viable too, but most rogue splash do it for evasion and UMD, its hard and requires a lot of equipment to get a splashed rogue to get more skills like search, disable device, and pick locks to a level that is effective after lvl 5 or 6.

I chose drow for paladin because drow starts with a built in 32 point (+2 dex int and cha -2 con) and paladins need high char and a lot of other abilities high, so if you want to make a paladin that uses twf, (you need dex high too), and you dont have 32 point builds, drow is the only viable race, unless you have a bunch of tomes, that obviously i dont have.

I dont know much about bards, since i didnt researched them a lot, i guess you can splash rogue, ranger or fighter, some bard builds splash 6 ranger and 2 rogue.

About warforged, they are the only race viable with wizard or sorcerer for solo, cause they can heal themselves with the repairing spells. I dont like pure casters so i cant advice you about that.

When you have Veteran status, you can start your toons at lvl 4, as sorcerers (and wizards) are a little harder to play at lower levels than other classes, the veteran status its more important for them. Though its not a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctigis View Post
    WF Sorc (20).

(28 points)
    STR 14
    DEX 08
    CON 14
    INT 10
    CHA 16

The fascinating thing about this build is that it entirely eliminates Wisdom. While this would not work in PnP because the Dungeon Master (hopefully) has robust enough AI to deal with this, in DDO this might eliminate Will saves entirely as the server code recovers from the null variable error/null pointer exception. Of course Spot and Listen would be useless, but those are never the strong points of a Sorcerer, and are totally offset by complete immunity to spells and effects which require Will saves.

On the other hand, the server might just crash when it runs into this, bringing the Nerdfury of the entire community down upon your robotic head.
    Last edited by Ingo; 12-23-2009 at 02:08 PM.
    INGO
    Ghallanda
    Ingo - Human Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by bruha118 View Post
    imo...wf wizard 18/rogue 2...gives evasion and trap skills and self healing...not too gear intensive unless you want it to be...wont need any dex points at all if u take the insightful reflexes feat (adds int mod to reflex save instead of dex)...and with wiz u can change your spells anytime u want so u can get a feel for wat spells u like...hope this helps good luck to u
    Thank you Bruha. Your comments and suggestions are very much appreciated. Is this the build you run? I will need to look at the stats if I go this way. I am currently clueless on character building. Thanks again.
    Regards,
    Theo

Cleric/rogue is viable too, but most rogue splash do it for evasion and UMD, its hard and requires a lot of equipment to get a splashed rogue to get more skills like search, disable device, and pick locks to a level that is effective after lvl 5 or 6.
    I have seen posts on this build by Impaqt but I none of them appear to be current. I have read this thread here http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=214725&page=2 but it is not listed here either. (That thread was excellent by the way.) I imagine the reason that the thread doesn't include it is because the Cleric/Rogue is not a "beginner" combo. It would be nice to be able to get Impaqt's comment, will have to see if I can stalk him...lol! Thank you for the rest of your input, I appreciate it. I think I am leaning toward a pure cleric build or a pure WF Wizard. Thanks again.
    Regards,
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by Theophillus View Post
    Thank you Kralgnax,
    Yes, I am a new F2P player at the moment until I decide if I am going to stay. Going premium or VIP for a time is not an issue, nor is buying TPS for that matter. Do you have any suggestions for solo builds? If not, do you know of any other links that might? I have no problem playing a "pure" class either as long as I can do what needs to be done while soloing (ie. Heal self, melee/cast, open chests/picklocks). Thank you again for your input.
    Regards,
    Theo
    Oh, and welcome to DDO, Theophilus! (Sorry, should have led with that).

If we're constrained to F2P 28 pt. starting characters that eliminates Warforged, Drow, Monks and Favored Souls.

I would suggest any of:
    • Almost any of the toons on Templates for New Players by Aranticus
    • Cleric (any non-insane build) - pure or possibly a barb / fighter / paladin splash if you want to beat things up more - heals, buffs, plate armour, adequate melee, summons, easy to get groups - what's not to love? - Cleric forum has Sirgog's excellent build list- you can't post, but can read
    • Paladin - plate armour, good emergency/ limited routine heals, strong melee, buffs, divine wands - go two handed if you're 28 pt. - Junts has a superb thread on Paladin builds in the paladin forum .
    Those are the ones I know well from my own, I've found most builds can solo ok at low-medium level with a bit of care - even my bard hagglebot banker, who I'm planning to level to 7 and park in Ataraxia.
    Last edited by Kralgnax; 12-23-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    Currently active

Community Member

Well, my current char is a pure cleric very similar to the first one from that thread, only that i started with max wisdom, str 14 dex 8 con 14 and int 8 wis 18 cha 8 (i dont have 32 point builds, and max wis seems a good idea for late game, if you have 32 points i would put 16 str (better the first levels) or 16 con, better the last levels) i took EWP khopesh at lvl 3 and that makes a difference at low level, if later in the game i stop doing melee i can allways change one feat for free.
    That build its a little harder to level that a battle cleric splashing fighter, but its stellar at top level, and if you eventually are able to do some group play, its a build that every party looks for.
    One more thing, pure casters and dps paladins are the classes that need less rare equipment at top level, so, for solo players that wont get their hands in raid items, they are the best options too.
    Last edited by Gercho; 12-23-2009 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralgnax View Post
    Oh, and welcome to DDO, Theophilus! (Sorry, should have led with that).

If we're constrained to F2P 28 pt. starting characters that eliminates Warforged, Drow, Monks and Favored Souls.

I would suggest any of:
    • Almost any of the toons on Templates for New Players by Aranticus
    • Cleric (any non-insane build) - pure or possibly a barb / fighter / paladin splash if you want to beat things up more - heals, buffs, plate armour, adequate melee, summons, easy to get groups - what's not to love? - Cleric forum has Sirgog's excellent build list- you can't post, but can read
    • Paladin - plate armour, good emergency/ limited routine heals, strong melee, buffs, divine wands - go two handed if you're 28 pt. - Junts has a superb thread on Paladin builds in the paladin forum .
    Those are the ones I know well from my own, I've found most builds can solo ok at low-medium level with a bit of care - even my bard hagglebot banker, who I'm planning to level to 7 and park in Ataraxia.
    Thank you for the welcoming. I appreciate the info, on my way over to the other forums now......
    Regards,
    Theo

Sirgog's Cleric Builds: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=17336

Discussions relevant to Warforged Wizard 18 / Rogue 2:
    Seelowe etc. on builds http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=216794
    Ghoste on sneaky wizard (with video) http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=127707
    Note that this assumes warforged. Since you said you have no problem with unlocking monk or any other class this is a strong option.

Basically, to solo past 10ish you want to be a cleric (any race) or a warforged wizard or sorcerer. This lets you heal yourself and cast an efficient aoe spell (bladebarrier or firewall). It is possible to purchase favored soul and do the same things, though it does not seem to actually solo better.

You can add 2 levels of rogue for evasion, traps, maybe sneaking and locks; evasion/trapsmithing is the big thing here. Or you could add 1-2 levels of fighter for melee ability including extra feats. Finally you could add 2 levels of monk for evasion and wisdom bonus to armor.

Community Member

I am currently working on a 17fvs/2monk/1fighter build reroll, and its working beautifully. High AC, high saves, great healing ability, leap of faith, bladebarrier and GTWF. This does come at a cost of great gear, but as any soloer knows, you must make the investment to make a powerful character. This character has insane melee dps capability, and maximized/empowered bladebarriers for fun. Able to solo the hardest dungeons in the game, and even some of the raids.

18wiz/2rog is also a great build, however in my opinion they are a little more limited. Traps are very nice to be able to take care of, but when you get to DB firewall becomes almost obsolete.

Shoot me a tell if you're interested with what I am building, log in my server and i'll show you the ropes.

Merry Christmas.
    Last edited by Diarden1; 12-23-2009 at 03:20 PM.

If you prefer casters and want a solo oriented character than I will also recommend the warforged 2 rogue / 18 wiz route.

The rogue trap skills allow you to experience a good amount of the game. Wizard allows you to experiment with Spell combinations and grants you self healing for your warforged. The Int needed stat for the wizard also boosts your rogue skills greatly.

Whenever you play a character that will include rogue levels then you should start off at 1st level with rogue. It will maximize the number of skill points you get. Also, certain skills will become pseudo "class skills" after you have a level of rogue. Normally a wizard could not max out the Spot, Search, Use Magical Device or Disable Device skills. By taking a level of rogue first you are able to put double points into those skills for each wizard level, thus keeping them high enough to be useful at all levels.

Afterwards, or at the same time, if you want to experiment with a true melee type then I would try out a Dwarf Barbarian. You could do warforged too for the immunities but I just prefer the iconic Dwarf raging barbarian. With toughness, high constitution, high strength and a big two handed axe you will be very survivable while cleaving a wide path through monsters.

Good luck to you, If you play on Cannith then give me a shout on my barb Chugger. I'll be happy to help you out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast