Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Hasbro sues Atari for breaching the D&D License

Hello there,

i just found interesting news. Maybe its good for Turbine, Codemasters and DDO.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...re/0570071.htm

greetings

Cyriana

Interesting on how or even if this is going to affect the Turbine / Atari Lawsuit
    (Say): Haywire says, '"Hey, I don't come into yer home and play with things."'

Community Member

Yay! Nice! This could be good for Turbine - puts more pressure on Atari even if Hasbro doesn't win, or if they make a deal.

For the D&D license I really hope Hasbro sells it to another, competent and solvent company that will use it to put out some awesome games based on this great IP. The only one out there at the moment is DDO afaik, which is crazy. Why are there not more computer games set in Eberron coming out? Why are there none with 4th edition rules? And nothing in the pipe either, at least that I've heard of. Wouldn't be surprised if it's due to Atari squandering the D&D license.
    Various hedge-wizards and halfwits, please see MyDDO for all your squelching needs
    Lyrandar 2006 - Devourer 2007 - Thelanis 2009 - Ghallanda 2010

Definitely sounds like good news for turbine!
    “If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles" TsunTzu

They could also end up yanking the license, they seem to have a history of doing that lately.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Quote Originally Posted by Letrii View Post
    They could also end up yanking the license, they seem to have a history of doing that lately.
    Further yet though they may yank the license from Atari and give Turbine the opportunity to buy into their stake.

Leaves a lot of possabilities
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    Hi welcome!

(I wonder if I'll get banned for this?)

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    Further yet though they may yank the license from Atari and give Turbine the opportunity to buy into their stake.

Leaves a lot of possabilities
    Or yank the license from Atari and NOT give Turbine access to it, meaning no more DDO....

+1 rep for the find. I'm(meaning personal opinion, not fact like most experts on these forums post) not sure how this could affect Turbine, win or lose. Hopefully, Hasbro would find a more competant company to fill Atari's roll in distributing electronic rights to D&D. This lawsuit could be a really good thing or a really bad thing depending on how it plays out. It looks like Atari doesn't have a leg to stand on in this suit, and maybe financially it'll strain them to bad to where they just can't afford the legal fees in the other suit. However, if Hasbro does grant rights to another company, they could end up doing worse for Turbine than Atari already has (or hopefully not).
    Durtyy-Barbarian 20 Durrty-Cleric 18 Durion - TR Rogue 20 Duurty-Bard 20 Ddurty-Favored Soul 5

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_the_First_One View Post
    Or yank the license from Atari and NOT give Turbine access to it, meaning no more DDO....
    And thereby squandering a potential source of income??? I don't think so.

They'll probably give Turbine first refusal on the licence. If it's economical to Turbine then I think they'd take it on. Given the success of F2P, I think they would do.

I think that Hasbro should give it to Bioware and Turbine!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) Cannith Server : Soranna (TRx Monk 20/Cleric) Kasarae (bard) Yraith (fighter) Fuega (sorceror)

I was thinking the same thing as Hills. Why would they give away the opportunity to bring in what almost seems to be guaranteed cash. You have an established company and game with instant monetary gains and a large potential in the future who has a well based knowledge in the license ahead of time seems like Turbine would be the first choice in benefactors in this one.
    Hi welcome!

Depending on how this plays out, it could very well allow Turbine more access to the Eborron brand, not that there are competetors, but who knows how limiting their current agreement with Atari makes it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visty View Post
    if you want a challange, grab 5 strangers, park them at the quest entrance and then solo the quest
    if you want even more challange, let those 5 help you

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsmeister View Post
    And thereby squandering a potential source of income??? I don't think so.

They'll probably give Turbine first refusal on the licence. If it's economical to Turbine then I think they'd take it on. Given the success of F2P, I think they would do.
    Probably true... Unless they have an in-house desire, or an existing partner elsewhere, who thinks they can make more money at it.

Quote Originally Posted by chubbs99 View Post
    Depending on how this plays out, it could very well allow Turbine more access to the Eborron brand, not that there are competetors, but who knows how limiting their current agreement with Atari makes it.

My god! You've hit upon why there are no gnomes or Druids! They are obviously MUCH too iconic, thus they have blocked them in order to maintain their..err... ok, conspiracy theory breaks down around there.

In all seriousness, I agree with those saying that it would be just stupid for them to pull the lisence from Turbine. Why cut off a revenue stream, especially in this economy?

I almost can't believe that Atari was that stupid. I wonder what the other breaches were?
    Just remember. Good build, bad build, it's all the same when you roll a 1.
    Grease is a party buff.

If I remember correctly, WotC is working closely with Turbine and they has supported the development of DDO from the beginning. So I don't think this will happen.

Greetings

Cy
    Last edited by cyr1ana; 12-17-2009 at 07:41 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zynthar View Post
    My god! You've hit upon why there are no gnomes or Druids! They are obviously MUCH too iconic, thus they have blocked them in order to ...
    ...make their own MMO, Forgotten Realms Online!

Quote Originally Posted by Adoraro View Post
    ...make their own MMO, Forgotten Realms Online!
    no no no you have it all wrong its all right

HERE!

It's gonna blow DDO out of the water too
    Hi welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Bardicwolf View Post
    I think that Hasbro should give it to Bioware and Turbine!
    Except the BIOware has made it pretty clear that they are not interested in making anymore DnD game.

Giving it to Turbine however would be a great idea!
    there's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existence. If you have any plans on seeing tomorrow then there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap.

This is huge... nice find.

And more proof that Atari as a corporate entity is just plain stupid.

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by Robi3.0 View Post
    Except the BIOware has made it pretty clear that they are not interested in making anymore DnD game.
    ...and why do you think that is? Most likely, it was because dealing with Atari was just too much of a pain.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast