Default Void Strike line and Finishers for Monks

Had to get this off my back, so here...

Special Attacks:

Void Strike I
    Monk Level: 2
    AP: 1
    Ki Cost: 5
    Activate this ability to make an attack with 1d4 additional Force damage.

Void Strike II
    Monk Level: 8
    AP Cost: 2
    Activate this ability to make an attack with 1d10 additional Force damage.

Void Strike III
    Monk Level: 14
    AP Cost: 3
    Activate this ability to make an attack with 2d8 additional Force damage.

Void Strike IV
    Monk Level: 20
    AP Cost: 4
    Activate this ability to make an attack with 3d8 additional Force damage.

Finishers:

Ki Blast - or - (Insert cool name here)
    Void + Void + Void
    Ki Cost: 10
    Activate this finisher to propel an orb of pure Ki energy at your foes. Upon impact, the orb deals 1d4 Force damage per Monk level to surrounding enemies. Reflex save for half damage (DC 10 + Monk level + Wisdom modifier)

Ki Shield – or – (Insert cool name here)
    Void + Positive + Void
    Activate this finisher to surround yourself and nearby allies with a protective aura of pure Ki energy. This aura grants a +2 Psionic bonus to AC. Duration is 1 minute.

Ki Curse – or – (Insert cool name here)
    Void + Negative + Void
    Activate this finisher to curse your foe with dark Ki, recieving 20% additional damage from Force-based attacks. The target will also be stripped of any lasting, Force-based protection spells for 1 minute with occasional Fortitude saves to negate (DC 10 + Monk level + Wisdom modifier)

Constructive criticism? Flames?

In theory I think its a good idea, but do monks really need another ability like this?
    THELANIS - Chief Scientist of DARPA
    Ravinex: Bard 18/Fighter 2 - Krotus: 20 Fighter - Hemium: Ranger 18/Fighter 2 - Stema: Favoured Soul 11 - Hemios: Ranger 15/Fighter 1/Monk 1

if it was like this, I would actually use it..

/signed
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) Cannith Server : Soranna (TRx Monk 20/Cleric) Kasarae (bard) Yraith (fighter) Fuega (sorceror)

Community Member AylinIsAwesome's Avatar

I like it.

I'd like it even better if they were Ghost Touch to help lower level monks out a bit, but you can't have everything.

/signed

The Ki Blast has to be called the Kame Hame Ha. You know it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GhostNull View Post
    Had to get this off my back, so here...

Special Attacks:

Void Strike I
    Monk Level: 2
    AP: 1
    Activate this ability to make an attack with 1d4 additional Force damage.

Void Strike II
    Monk Level: 8
    AP Cost: 2
    Activate this ability to make an attack with 1d10 additional Force damage.

Void Strike III
    Monk Level: 14
    AP Cost: 3
    Activate this ability to make an attack with 2d8 additional Force damage.

Void Strike IV
    Monk Level: 20
    AP Cost: 4
    Activate this ability to make an attack with 3d8 additional Force damage.

Finishers:

Ki Blast - or - (Insert cool name here)
    Void + Void + Void
    Activate this finisher to propel an orb of pure Ki energy at your foes. Upon impact, the orb deals 1d4 Force damage per Monk level to surrounding enemies. Reflex save for half damage (DC 10 + Monk level + Wisdom modifier)

Ki Shield – or – (Insert cool name here)
    Void + Positive + Void
    Activate this finisher to surround yourself and nearby allies with a protective aura of pure Ki energy. This aura grants a +2 Psionic bonus to AC. Duration is 1 minute.

Ki Curse – or – (Insert cool name here)
    Void + Negative + Void
    Activate this finisher to curse your foe with dark Ki, recieving 20% additional damage from Force-based attacks. The target will also be stripped of any lasting, Force-based protection spells for 1 minute with occasional Fortitude saves to negate (DC 10 + Monk level + Wisdom modifier)

love it, at first when i was reading this, i thought it was for real, and im thinking, how did i miss this!
    still using that lame void strike 1 haha

Quote Originally Posted by Jiipster View Post
    dam straight!

Anything they could do that would make void strike useful would be nice. Just having it scale up with level even without it being used in a finisher would make it a million times better.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GhostNull View Post
    It looks highly similar to a suggestion I made a few days after the Monk class was revealed on a test server (which I think was called "Risia" back then)

The VVV and VPV finishers were the same, although the AC bonus was Armor+Shield (instead of psionic, which is fairly overpowered), and the negative was probably something like Disintegration.

You're forgetting to recall another instance where Void Strike enhancements and finishers were brought up recently; I even quoted you in one case. Those particular posts tend to get lost in threads and may go unseen. I decided to post a thread just for this suggestion, so that it may be seen.

Our suggestions for finishers are not entirely the same. Your VVV finisher was not a "Fireball-like" attack that does Force damage. It was something along the lines of applying all effects of the user's handwraps into the single-target and ranged attack, but not adding any additional Force damage nor effecting nearby enemies. Your VPV finisher like you said, gave the user and nearby allies a +1 Armor and Shield bonus to AC, with an additional +1 every 4 Monk levels. VNV finisher was a debuff, -6 to an enemies highest stat. Similar concepts yes, same no.

While I can agree that a Psionic bonus to AC for the VPV finisher might be a bit much, would you prefer a +2 or +4 Shield bonus to AC instead? But not provide protection from Magic Missles?

Anyways, it wasn't my intent to copy and/or belittle your original suggestions. You should take my thread here as a "supportive suggestion". Basically it's along the lines of, "Hey I agree that Void Strike needs a buff and I support the idea. Here's my friendly suggestion...".
    Last edited by GhostNull; 12-16-2009 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiipster View Post
    It's the Hadoken, dammit.
    (Thelanis) Dakhos - Pal | Argond - Ftr | Luohan - Mnk | Bencao - Mnk
    Quote Originally Posted by Fejj View Post
    ⇡ ⇡ ⇣ ⇣ ⇠ ⇢ ⇠ ⇢ B A Start

Duh

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    love it, at first when i was reading this, i thought it was for real, and im thinking, how did i miss this!
    still using that lame void strike 1 haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Impatiens View Post
    Anything they could do that would make void strike useful would be nice. Just having it scale up with level even without it being used in a finisher would make it a million times better.
    Yes, Void Strike I(!) is just about useless as is. At the very least, if finishers of some sort were added it might warrent more use. That's why others and myself have posted suggestions to improve the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzasoup View Post

/signed (except for Ki Blast)

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzasoup View Post
    Possibly two of them: one instant, dealing a bit less damage, and one with a second or two casting time, dealing more damage?

I'd still like to see Fists of Light provide a scaling benifit with its 'healing shield' its what 1d2? with a 25% chance to critical to provide 3hp. at level 3 when you can get this ability thats alot of health that can be made, Being level 16 currently I don't even notice it anymore, And I can only imagine how useless it will be when I hit 20. Aside from making combos that is, but I find I'm saving my ki for stunning fist since it tends to have successful hits now, and of course quivering palm.

Even more useless at higher levels is Healing Ki I. 2d4 healing? I think that becomes a joke shortly after your able to get it, unless your in a group where everyone only has 6 con.

As an interesting aside... the compendium has "On a vorpal strike (natural 20 followed by critical confirmation), you deal an additional 1d50 positive energy damage to undead." on Fists of Light... I don't recall seeing that in game. Is this new or a hidden feature? Also has anyone managed to get the vorpal roll to work? (though I can't see 1d50 killing more high end undead mobs)

All in all, the more I play my monk the more it seems to be low-mid game oriented and the dev's forgot to raise the bar when the cap was raised
    Quote Originally Posted by Visty View Post
    if you want a challange, grab 5 strangers, park them at the quest entrance and then solo the quest
    if you want even more challange, let those 5 help you

Quote Originally Posted by chubbs99 View Post
    I'd still like to see Fists of Light provide a scaling benifit with its 'healing shield' its what 1d2? with a 25% chance to critical to provide 3hp. at level 3 when you can get this ability thats alot of health that can be made, Being level 16 currently I don't even notice it anymore, And I can only imagine how useless it will be when I hit 20. Aside from making combos that is, but I find I'm saving my ki for stunning fist since it tends to have successful hits now, and of course quivering palm.

this is a tough balancing act, considering how fast monks hit, how hard we are to hit if built for it, and that we can get enough healing amp to triple that(on a human) increase it too much and they'll have to start putting in more curse immune mobs just to make monks killable

Even more useless at higher levels is Healing Ki I. 2d4 healing? I think that becomes a joke shortly after your able to get it, unless your in a group where everyone only has 6 con.

healing ki scales with (monk)levels, and stacks with both metamagics(from multi-class) and superior benevolence(i think thats the healing one) my healing ki's hit me for 60 and most of my fleshy party for 40, people have pumped them over 100. also remember the only cost of a healing ki is time and mobs to hit

As an interesting aside... the compendium has "On a vorpal strike (natural 20 followed by critical confirmation), you deal an additional 1d50 positive energy damage to undead." on Fists of Light... I don't recall seeing that in game. Is this new or a hidden feature? Also has anyone managed to get the vorpal roll to work? (though I can't see 1d50 killing more high end undead mobs)

update 2 changed the properties of ki strikes, in-game doesn't reflect the new info, i HAVE landed vorpal FOLs, its just a bit of extra damage, nothing special. vorpal FOD's are nicer(1d50 on anything living)

All in all, the more I play my monk the more it seems to be low-mid game oriented and the dev's forgot to raise the bar when the cap was raised
    in response to the coments about VPV being a psionic boost, it should be mentioned that every other monk buff except blur is untyped, psionic would be a step down from standard(though not in actual effect, there currently is no psionic armor boost in game). the incredibly small durations and range are the balance for them.

oh yeah the original topic. personally I'd rather they just make void scale with (monk) levels and add those finishers as seperate combinations of the ki strikes we already have, there's something like 100 unused combinations out there. would be less to hot bar and maybe new reasons to take stances other than air and water beyond tier 1.
    Rule one: never act incautiously when confronting a little bald wrinkly smiling old man. ~ Terry Pratchett