Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    19,191

    Default Spells to implement

    Level 1 - Enlarge person
    Yeah, I know the tech is limited on this one. I'm not asking for huge characters, visually, but it's the single best buff spell for arcanes to cast on a tank type. Have the spell adjust the damage dice on the character's attacks and don't bother with the visual fluff, for all I care.

    Level 2 -
    Mirror Image
    Staple self buff for arcanes. Blur is weaksauce. Not especially concerned about the visual effect here, either. displacement was fudged, why not this one?

    Level 3 -
    Blink
    What rogue doesn't want a blink wand? Seriously?

    Level 4 -
    Evard's Black Tentacles
    I know, we don't have grappling. We do have strength checks, pretty much the same thing. Can be adjusted to fit current mechanics.

    Greater Invisibility
    Because real wizards aren't visible.

    Enlarge Person, Mass
    Same as above for first level

    Level 5
    Baleful Polymorph
    Because turning eeeeeeevil devils into broccoli (or fluffy bunnies, if you prefer) is fun.

    Level 6
    Repulsion
    Because nobody CAN get close to a wizard.

    Level 7
    Spell turning
    Because it doesn't seem THAT difficult.

    Level 8
    Mind Blank
    Because it just plain rawks.

    Maze
    See Mind blank reasoning.

    Level 9
    Weird
    Mass PK, should be easy....

    Imprisonment
    Because there needs to be more will save or dies.

  2. #2
    Community Member Rabbi_Hordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Meridia and It's Environs.
    Posts
    1,301

    Default

    /signed across the &#$*%* board.

  3. #3
    Founder PurdueDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    2,854

    Default

    I can go along with that.

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aspenor View Post
    Level 1 - Enlarge person
    Yeah, I know the tech is limited on this one. I'm not asking for huge characters, visually, but it's the single best buff spell for arcanes to cast on a tank type.
    Uh huh. Because casters didn't already spend enough of their time buffing the fighters.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aspenor View Post
    Mirror Image
    Blink
    Greater Invisibility
    Repulsion
    Spell turning
    All five of those defensive spells would need serious justification as to why it would be non-harmful to add them. The only reason you've given is D&D fidelity.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    19,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    All five of those defensive spells would need serious justification as to why it would be non-harmful to add them. The only reason you've given is D&D fidelity.
    Pretty sure i never mentioned D&D fidelity anywhere in the OP. I did reference fun, though! I suppose I could also say more options, but I already know your argument against more options.

  6. #6
    Community Member Cedrica-the-Bard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,188

    Default

    Those Duergar dudes in Ataraxia's appear to cast Enlarge on themselves, why can't we???

  7. #7

    Default

    Mind blank sounds a lot like holy aura enchantment immunity?

    Garth

    Garth 20/ftr (Kensei) Haeson 20/clr Cairis 12/ftr 6/rgr 2/rog Xortan 20/wiz
    Tinosa 20/brd Garthbot 20/fvs Gaarth 18/ftr 1/rgr 1/rog (Stal Def)
    Tibetan 20/mnk Automatic DDO raid timers Haezon 20/sor (Conj)

  8. #8
    Founder tfangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    River Falls, WI
    Posts
    1,348

    Default

    Evard's Black Tentacles
    I know, we don't have grappling. We do have strength checks, pretty much the same thing. Can be adjusted to fit current mechanics.
    Seems like Web does a similar thing, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to make it work.

    The other spells though, meh, they are okay, but nothing i feel is really missing. Polymorph is only something i would want if it can go wrong on you big time. Like turning that mob you think will now be easy into a dragon or purple worm or something.

    What i really want to see are the spells like the Bigbys Hands spells, the other Wall spells, and just more variety other than buffs and such.

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aspenor View Post
    Pretty sure i never mentioned D&D fidelity anywhere in the OP.
    Well, you're incorrect. To understand why, look closer at the phrase "real wizards".

    Quote Originally Posted by Aspenor View Post
    I did reference fun
    Only for Polymorph, which is not one of the spells that I responded to.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garth_of_Sarlona View Post
    Mind blank sounds a lot like holy aura enchantment immunity?
    My DDO implementation of player-cast Mind Blank would be a spell that gives you a large bonus to Will saves and SR that only applies to mental effects.

    Mind Blank by the D&D rules is too powerful.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    19,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    Well, you're incorrect. To understand why, look closer at the phrase "real wizards".
    I said REAL wizards, not D&D wizards. Silly goose.

  12. #12
    Community Member karnokvolrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grangeville, ID
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Id love to see mirrior image added.
    Gasoline(tr) Favored Soul - 5th Life
    Deadwall(tr) - Soul Survivor - 2nd Life
    Gasolinex - Pale Master
    Gasomatic Systematic - Bard

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by karnokvolrath View Post
    Id love to see mirrior image added.
    For anyone who wants Mirror Image added, here's the question:
    How would DDO gameplay be improved if arcane casters get a new defensive buff?

  14. #14
    Bwest Fwiends Memnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ¿
    Posts
    18,061

    Default

    The Bigby line.
    Now, please.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

    .55360.

  15. #15
    Community Member Laith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    For anyone who wants Mirror Image added, here's the question:
    How would DDO gameplay be improved if arcane casters get a new defensive buff?
    i must admit that Mirror Image does sound like a zerger's dream buff in DDO. After all, what could be better than a buff that gives monsters a form of auto-miss chance that "stacks" with displacement. A level2 spell that nullifies up to 8 hits (as per PnP) with 1min/level duration?? Score!
    Last edited by Laith; 12-16-2009 at 02:19 PM.

  16. #16
    Community Member kingfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    your mom's house
    Posts
    2,887

    Default

    fookin' A asp gotta agree with all of these, especially mirror image and evard's (my personal favaorite spell from PnP)

    and if they had to they could even tone down MI a bit and it would still rule.

  17. #17
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    19,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
    fookin' A asp gotta agree with all of these, especially mirror image and evard's (my personal favaorite spell from PnP)

    and if they had to they could even tone down MI a bit and it would still rule.
    true, and mirror image isn't really permanent, to be extremely effective you'd have to recast it, a whole lot, once your images are gone. at least i didn't say "Greater Mirror Image."

  18. #18
    Community Member Cyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    For anyone who wants Mirror Image added, here's the question:
    How would DDO gameplay be improved if arcane casters get a new defensive buff?
    Here is the answer. If the defensive buff is self only (which mirror could be coded as) it provides more viable ways for melee arcanes to be played. That is not a horrible thing, considering people seem to insist on playing them now and they are hardly over powered. Enlarge person is another example of one they could code to be self buff only. DPS boost for melee arcane or a clickie use for others sounds reasonable. (And yes enlarge person is not a defensive buff)
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload