Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

A little out of the box thinking here, but hey, I'll see what you think here. Ive been playing for 2+ years and have a VIP account paid until April 2010. I love the new business model, Turbine's injection of new blood into the game, and frequent content additions we've seen, lately. I hope Turbine does well and DDO continues for a long time.

That being said, I'd love to be able to play the game for free or for a low price. Soon after DDO:EU was launched, I started a F2P account. I now have 12 toons (with 6 character slots to spare) all in the 6 - 10 level range. I've purchased Catacombs, Tangleroot, Sorrowdusk, STK, Sharn Syndicate, an extra character slot, and Platinum and Gold sigils for all 12 toons (and 3 silver ones as well). This has cost me a grand total of nothing.

However, I do wish I had access to Warforged, Shared bank, 32-pt builds, and lots of other content I like. Oh wait, I do, I can jump on my VIP account and do that. I can give guest passes to my F2P account to run Deleras or whatever to get the end-reward goodies. Gear, weapons, and plat accumulated over the past 2 years can be passed to my F2P lowbee toons.

Part of the thing here is, as a VIP, I've experienced "all the perks" on that account. They are great. But, I am really enjoying getting my F2P account decked out. Eventually, I'll probably switch from VIP to premium simply because I'll own everything on my F2P account, and won't be able to justify the subscription fee to be VIP. But there is no rush. We are talking pennies/day to be VIP.

While significant to some, $15/month is not much for most people. Most of the vets here have done it for 2 or 3 years, with far less happening in the game compared to now. It has to do with preference and convenience. For those that want to run around hunting for sigils (the part I find most boring on my F2P account), they can play for free. For those that don't. VIP is always there. It's up to you.

As a suggestion to those on the fence about going VIP, go ahead and do it. Try it out for a month or two and see if you like it and if it is worth it to you. If it is, great! Enjoy the game. If it is not worth it, IYO, switch back to premium and go on your merry way. What did it cost you, $15?

I've chosen to do both, mainly as a challenge to see if I can unlock everything for free. It may take a year to do, or I may get bored with it before I've done it, but I really don't care, as I'm having fun doing it.

One thing to remember is that the future is unpredictable. Right now you can usually get a sigil after 10 runs of Mirra's and Dead Predators. Not always, but usually. At any time, Turbine can change the drop rate of sigils to be more rare then a w/p rapier. I hope this never happens, but it might. And if that happens, I'm sure all those people that bought tons of content as a premium member will be scratching their heads, while the VIPs continue on.

Quote Originally Posted by melkor1702 View Post
    The $0.30 per day I spend (or $120 per year on my subscription plan) to me is worth the $60 in points (at the cheapest deal Turbine has given for point bundles to date) and not having to worry about buying future packs etc.
    This is my reasoning. I do not give a damn about 10$ a month for entertainment. If I go out on the town versus sta in and play DDO I am saving a good 50+ dollars. DDO saves me money.

I am more than willing to pay my 10$ a month for unlimited access and all benefits. And when i do get my 6000+ TP I by mana pots for free.

The OP said he doesn't mind not having the ability to open on Hard setting and that he doesnt care about more than 4 character slots. This is spoken like a true short time player. if you are going to play as long as you think you will, you will end up with 10 characters and you will wish the hard opening setting was available.
    Ooglys Pet WF 18Wiz/2Rogue, Oogli 18 Bard/2Fighter, Ooog Ly 12 fighter/6 Ranger/2 Monk, Ogly 20th Cleric, Oogly 20th Rogue, Ooogly 20th Paladin, Oooogly 20th Fighter , Gallion 20th Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_the_First_One View Post
    They are no more fluff than GH. They are part of the content, and they have a value. To make an apples to apples comparison of VIP to premium you need to build those things in and that means including the value of the free TPs VIPs get.
    Its impossible to make an apples to apples comparison to VIP and Premium, but if you wish for your sake we can add them in. It is early and I really don't feel like doing hard numbers, even with the 60 or so dollars in free TP permium still breaks even in less then 2 years and then only has to buy content released.

I personally think that the free TP get means nothing since your will be buying TRs and XP potions and teleport rods. TR and XP potions can be gotten with out using the store and teleport rods can be easy replaced with UMD or in game items. The game as be played for 3 years just fine, with out any of this fluff. Why you I spend real life dollars for something I can get in game? That is almost as lame as buy +3 ammo from the DDO store. They are all convenience items and not as important as Gianthold since that is an popular adventure pack for leveling and raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by oogly54 View Post
    The OP said he doesn't mind not having the ability to open on Hard setting and that he doesnt care about more than 4 character slots. This is spoken like a true short time player. if you are going to play as long as you think you will, you will end up with 10 characters and you will wish the hard opening setting was available.
    Umm I have been playing on and off for 3 years now. I only have 7 characters. I don't give a **** about opening on hard I am going to run it on normal for bonus XP anyway. I plan on playing until Turbine unplugs the servers even more so now since if one month I have issues and can't pay to play I still can play.

So no that isn't spoken like a short term player. Those are the words of a player that play plays the game different then you. Oh the horror, I know. It is shocking. How dare anyone have a different out look then you.
    Last edited by Robi3.0; 12-15-2009 at 09:00 AM.
    there's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existence. If you have any plans on seeing tomorrow then there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnjsw View Post
    Lam is available to anyone that wishes to download the client.

This is not true all the time. The current Lamannia update is only available to VIP.
    Ghallanda Rerolled
    LeLodar LeLothian LeLoki LeLoman LeLonia LeLog

Quote Originally Posted by LeLoric View Post
    This is not true all the time. The current Lamannia update is only available to VIP.

My statement IS true, ALL conent may not be available to everyone, but the server itself is.

This discussion has been done before. There is no right or wrong answer, we have choices YEAH for us. Depending on what you like and value, either option is the correct one for YOU! The financial calculations have far too many variables to be tossed around as fact. We can know the for this moment in time but this argument is ALL about the future and the farther you push this discussion out, the more uncertainties there are. DDO could shut down, a new game could come out that makes YOU never log in to DDO again. Something could happen in your life to make you quit playing MMOs. Turbine could introduce tons of new content or practically none. Do what you feel is best for you and be happy you had a choice, most other games do not.

Ask the people that whine about things the VIPs get that they don't get, point bonus and Lammania preview are the most recent things that I recall seeing complaints on.

*shrug*

In the end, do what you feel is best for your situation. Personally, VIP works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The unavoidable laws of the natural universe
    Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.

I pay for VIP status because I think it is fair and appropriate to reward software developers that exceed my expectations with my continued financial support, hopefully insuring additional content and longevity for my hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    Ask the people that whine about things the VIPs get that they don't get, point bonus and Lammania preview are the most recent things that I recall seeing complaints on.

*shrug*

In the end, do what you feel is best for your situation. Personally, VIP works for me.
    I weighed in on that Lam thread, but it certainly was not a whine. It had everything to do with the usefulness of the server as it currently stands as VIP only. Considering the dearth of players on there during the past few weeks even with new content available it certainly seems to be a valid point. More feedback from the preview server would occur if it was open to all premium and VIP players. And any cost comparison should include the perks VIPS get of course.

Oh and OP 32 point build should not be included in your cost analysis. It is available through favor unlock for both VIPS/non VIPS.

And Premium player who has sunk a little over a $100 into the game has purchased some fluff, but not much and owns pretty much everything VIPS get except 3BC and catacombs
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

Quote Originally Posted by knightgf View Post
    I've seen a lot of these discussions regarding if VIP/P2P would be the way for players to go.

Personally, make your own choice. But if anything, you should take a look at this chart:

http://www.ginniemae.gov/rent_vs_buy...p?section=YPTH

Except replace BUY with P2P and RENT with VIP. Oh, and whatever else that needs changed. I find it funny that this chart has a lot in common with the whole P2P/VIP thing Dungeons and Dragons Online: Ebberon Fore...err, Unlimited has.
    Wait, are you saying that if I go P2P and buy the content that I can redecorate the Pit? I am so there!

But really that table doesn't support your argument. "Own" vs. "Rent" doesn't have anything in common with P2P vs. VIP.

P2P is only analogous to "buying" if Turbine gives me the code and databases. Otherwise P2P "owns" the game in the same sense that a VIP "owns" the game; when Turbine finally turns the servers off (whenever that may happen), the P2P and VIP own exactly the same thing: nothing.

Point being: there are many ways to compare and decide between P2P and VIP, but really, this "owner" vs. "renter" model isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Babumbalaboo View Post
    The most basic, bare-bones reason is that VIPs have disposable income, plain and simple. There is absolutely no logical reason why somebody, when knowing full well that they would keep playing the game for such a long time, would bother "renting" DDO just to experience one part of the VIP experience (in this case, adventure packs).

The thing is, VIPs aren't logical. Not in that sense, anyway. They don't analyze what would be the most cost-effective way to pay as little as possible for exactly what they find is absolutely necessary in their enjoyment of DDO. They want the full experience - perks and all - and they believe that the subscription fee is a reasonable price to pay for that.

Note that word, reasonable. Whether you think the VIP price is reasonable, or you think it's unreasonable, you are correct.
    Ding ding so true and owe you rep once I can give out more. Seriously thats why I am a subscriber. Sure I could number crunch go bare mininum as a premium and probably save a buck or two. But I number crunch for a living I play ddo to forget about that stuff. So I dont particularly care about saving a dollar or two and 15 dollars is not a lot to me since ddo is the only splurge type item I have for myself. lol and this is compared to one of my friends whose idea of splurge is a 200 dollar spa treatment every week and her manicures which run up there in the pricey range.
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Notice how the ongoing discussion since FtP was released has turned from "should I pay" to "how should I pay."

Good job, Turbine!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robi3.0 View Post
    the 6000 tp VIPs get mean almost absolutely nothing to a premium player because you can't use them to buy anything worth while while still a VIP.

If you want to say you can use them after droping back down to premium then you have to factor in the cost of the VIP membership in the overall cost. This is by far the most costly way to go about doing things coming out to roughly 292 dollars in overall costs.
    XP pots?
    Loot pots?
    Res cakes?
    Tomes?
    Extra shared bank slots?
    These items are not worthwhile?
    Last edited by Linenoise2; 12-15-2009 at 03:36 PM.

I definitely use my vip points now I hated worrying about stocking up and saving mana pots and absolutely refused to buy them from the AH those prices were ridiculous. Now that I can get them from the store all my sp users have some form with the smaller versions on my melees for feeble mind. Is it a waste of points? perhaps to some but what else would I need? once they add other things to the store I prefer I will buy them to so far though mana pots and the gold hirerlings for when I want to run a quest by myself and just want two other players who listen lol.
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Community Member

Greetings all. I am fairly new to the World of Eberron and have enjoyed my stay so far. I started F2P, then went Premium and am now VIP. I have barely scratched the surface of this world/game, however, I believe in supporting something that I enjoy and view my going VIP as just that. Sure, I could stay Premium, but why not show my support by going ahead and getting VIP?

The F2P was marketing genius, I think. It brought me here.

I play on Thelanis and have mainly played solo while only grouping once or twice. This I will be changing as I get more familiar with the game. Anyway, I digress...

Quote Originally Posted by Linenoise2 View Post
    XP pots?
    Loot pots?
    Res cakes?
    Tomes?
    Extra shared bank slots?
    These items are not worthwhile?
    Not to me, and probably not to any premium player when there are 20+ adventure packs they could be spending money on.

As I said earlier that stuff is fluff and the game was played for 3 years without most of that stuff. I can sure do with out it.

I can farm tomes in game so I am not going to spend real money on them.
    there's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existence. If you have any plans on seeing tomorrow then there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap.

Good read, thanks for all the continued responses.

I've included 32pt build because the need for 1750pt on all servers to unlock is a large requirement and access to that kind of build earlier on is more beneficial than waiting, say for Drow.

But this was all of course based on my perceived desires to make the game the most enjoyable for me, for the the longest time possible for the least amount of dollar out lay over the period.

Also I have a hard enough time focusing on 2-3 toons let alone if I had 10 on one server. But that is me. I tend to get into the RP of the character and like to think it's me, so I try and give it my all focus until I've done all I can and then move on.

I haven't included veteran status purchase either, but that more of a perk than a need.

I do worry that this is the best model, because long term for Turbine if there is not a regular turn around of players [who are buying TP or going VIP] and/or contents, the initial massive influx of money into the project will dry up over time.

I also made a mistake in my initial post, the initial purchase of 3300 points was at $35.09 as they had a -10% off at the time. So that would have increased the saving.
    Leader - Ωmega Syndicate [L41] guild of Khyber|Orien - www.os.rumbaar.net
    Khyber - Eldraine - Monk | Eldaline - Favored Soul | Eldnuker - Sorcerer
    █████ - Eldalorne - Wizard | Elarawr - Fighter | Eldrainge - Ranger/Rogue

Community Member

Current price for a movie ticket in Los Angeles : $12.50
    Time of entertainment : 2 hours give or take

Current price for a 1 month subscription to DDO : $14.95
    Time of entertainment : All friggin month

You guys are some cheap bastards. Why bust your butt so hard to save yourself an extremely cheap entertainment source?

What was the part that is busting your butt so hard in this scenario?

But I get what you are saying. I look it as I've bought a 12+ month sub with no on going cost. Like a 'lifetime' subscription to all the content I've got now.
    Leader - Ωmega Syndicate [L41] guild of Khyber|Orien - www.os.rumbaar.net
    Khyber - Eldraine - Monk | Eldaline - Favored Soul | Eldnuker - Sorcerer
    █████ - Eldalorne - Wizard | Elarawr - Fighter | Eldrainge - Ranger/Rogue

If you never go VIP then youll never know what you are missing (or not missing). Its as simple as that. Many people have tried to lay out reasons for VIP vs Premium but you seem to have already made up your mind and thats fine. The lowest common denominator here is convenience.

Additionally, you say you spend alot of time in specific MMOs, well then you should be prepared for the fact that you may actually end up forking over much more than you had originally planned. At content releases every 2 months its going to add up quicker than you thought. Don't forget new classes and races will be coming soon too and I guarantee you they wont be cheap. Sure you can grind favor, but for someone who doesnt want to buy additional character slots there is a ceiling you will approach on amount of TP that can be earned that way.

F2P models are never quite as simple as they appear on the surface. In fact this one was so carefully crafted that it has us arguing over which method is better lol. In my opinion being VIP is just so much more relaxing, and doesnt have me wondering what else I am missing or have me stressing over a favor/sigil grind.

Going VIP is like not having to wear a condom ... ever!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast