Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Proper Rouge

Default A Proper Rouge

to build a proper rouge

please keep in mind that I am what some people regard as an "elitist"

at the low levels (witch I have seen a lot of lately due to true reincarnation) when I am looking for a rouge, it is because I need you to find a trap that will net me more XP. this is the ONLY thing that matters to me, i do not like to "smell the roses" and am constantly red alerting dungeons (thanks turbine for making zerging even MORE fun!)

If you cannot perform your duty in a timely manner, I will either drop you from the party at the first given opportunity or reform the party without you to avoid hard feelings.

For example, one quest that many have been farming for XP is xorian cipher (a free to play quest). there are many traps in the treasure room that will improve the XP in the quest as well as drop uber loot (see Planar Gird) however in my running of this quest the other day, i came across one (1) out of seven (7) that had an idea of what to do. As you can see, I reformed my party many times because of this and each new rouge had to have their respective hands held for them (IE. come to me and open chest, no, there are 2 traps in that room ect.)

more examples include elite traps where even the WF barbarian will even be killed walking through. The traps as they are currently are borked to, hit for (lvl 3 quest on elite = 350ish damage, lvl 10 quest on elite = 950ish damage. Hoping for the fix on Monday)

as for that I highly recommend a build that will focus on traps threw the low levels of the game so that you can do what your party expects from you. Other than that I do not expect you to do ANYTHING else except not die (-10% xp)

requirements for a rouge for anyone who is new to the game (please note that this is not for vets, you already have your ideas and would not take mine anyway)

start at least 14 intel and 14 con.
    Maximize your disable device, open lock and search skills at every level.
    take the enhancements for disable device and search and open lock. For a backup take rouge skill boost. (keep in mind these can ALWAYS be redone).
    make sure you have disable device, open lock and search items for the following levels.
    lvl 1, +3 in each
    lvl 5, +5 in each
    lvl 7, +7 in each
    lvl 11, +10 or +11 in each.
    lvl 13 it really does not matter, you can disable nearly all the traps in the game by this time.

make sure you have the best +con and best false life item you can find.
    for VIP run for tapestries at lvl 10 untill you have 20 of them from the orcherd in necropolis. pick up the helmet called minos legens witch will give you an extra amount of HP that will stack and heavy fortification witch will make you immune to crits. this is invaluable and can be put on at level 11

lastly, make sure you have +5 thieves tools ALWAYS on hand. there is no excuse not to have these. ask in the forms or in the trade channel of your respective server for these, I know some people have their banks overflowing with these and will part with 100 of them for no charge at all!

other then the previous, I really have no cares whatsoever about you build. some personal favorites of mine are the 18/1/1 rgr/rog/mnk or the 13/6/1 rog/rgr/mnk

have fun playing your character. if you dont like being the trapmonky roll up somthing else. fighters and barbarians are good this time of year I think. a dwarf or warforged barbarian with two handed fighting is one of the most potant characters to play at all levels of the game. it reqires no tomes and little gear to be effective and its really hard to mess up.
    Khyber. Shanayney TR wiz. Sahanna 20 Cleric. ossifer of MADM

Default Lol.

Inc. makeup jokes.

I think Avon sells one as do other companies

When I duel someone I like to dual wield. with my rouge wearing rogue.

Community Member

I believe trap skills are cross class skills for rouges. It's why I always look for a rogue to get those pesky traps. They are so much better at it and have arms too.

Cool /sarcasm

OMG! Thanks for this post! I never knew I was going so badly wrong, but then I only joined in September, its no wonder I missed this!

Do any of the colours of this class have particular expertise in Disable Device? Or are the colours prestige bonuses? What level will I need to get to so I can get these? Is there a build template anywhere? I want to be a good trap monkey for you, so that your day is never messed up by a noob like me, and I'd hate to roll up a 'Midnight Tulip' when what I needed was a 'Scarlet Rose'. Plz hlp me 2 do this ur way, it is obv. teh right way!

I'm gonna delete my L4 rogue right now, to free up a character slot for this.
    Last edited by dunklezhan; 12-12-2009 at 07:27 PM.

A proper rogue does not put enhancement points in disable and other rogue skills it just isn't needed. A proper rogue will handle all the traps and lead in kill count. A proper rogue wants you to roll a barb or fighter this time of year so he has someone to diplo mobs onto so you can take the damage while he kills it.

A proper rouge will give your skin a radiant glow.
    Ghallanda Rerolled
    LeLodar LeLothian LeLoki LeLoman LeLonia LeLog

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cluedout View Post
    to build a proper rouge

at the low levels (witch I have seen a lot of lately due to true reincarnation) when I am looking for a rouge, it is because I need you to find a trap that will net me more XP. this is the ONLY thing that matters to me, i do not like to "smell the roses" and am constantly red alerting dungeons (thanks turbine for making zerging even MORE fun!)

If you cannot perform your duty in a timely manner, I will either drop you from the party at the first given opportunity or reform the party without you to avoid hard feelings.

For example, one quest that many have been farming for XP is xorian cipher (a free to play quest). there are many traps in the treasure room that will improve the XP in the quest as well as drop uber loot (see Planar Gird) however in my running of this quest the other day, i came across one (1) out of seven (7) that had an idea of what to do. As you can see, I reformed my party many times because of this and each new rouge had to have their respective hands held for them (IE. come to me and open chest, no, there are 2 traps in that room ect.)

more examples include elite traps where even the WF barbarian will even be killed walking through. The traps as they are currently are borked to, hit for (lvl 3 quest on elite = 350ish damage, lvl 10 quest on elite = 950ish damage. Hoping for the fix on Monday)

as for that I highly recommend a build that will focus on traps threw the low levels of the game so that you can do what your party expects from you. Other than that I do not expect you to do ANYTHING else except not die (-10% xp)

requirements for a rouge for anyone who is new to the game (please note that this is not for vets, you already have your ideas and would not take mine anyway)

start at least 14 intel and 14 con.
    Maximize your disable device, open lock and search skills at every level.
    take the enhancements for disable device and search and open lock. For a backup take rouge skill boost. (keep in mind these can ALWAYS be redone).
    make sure you have disable device, open lock and search items for the following levels.
    lvl 1, +3 in each
    lvl 5, +5 in each
    lvl 7, +7 in each
    lvl 11, +10 or +11 in each.
    lvl 13 it really does not matter, you can disable nearly all the traps in the game by this time.

make sure you have the best +con and best false life item you can find.
    for VIP run for tapestries at lvl 10 untill you have 20 of them from the orcherd in necropolis. pick up the helmet called minos legens witch will give you an extra amount of HP that will stack and heavy fortification witch will make you immune to crits. this is invaluable and can be put on at level 11

lastly, make sure you have +5 thieves tools ALWAYS on hand. there is no excuse not to have these. ask in the forms or in the trade channel of your respective server for these, I know some people have their banks overflowing with these and will part with 100 of them for no charge at all!

other then the previous, I really have no cares whatsoever about you build. some personal favorites of mine are the 18/1/1 rgr/rog/mnk or the 13/6/1 rog/rgr/mnk

have fun playing your character. if you dont like being the trapmonky roll up somthing else. fighters and barbarians are good this time of year I think. a dwarf or warforged barbarian with two handed fighting is one of the most potant characters to play at all levels of the game. it reqires no tomes and little gear to be effective and its really hard to mess up.
    I am guessing your elite status is not extended to the English language. Can you list all your characters so I can add them to my must group with list?

Don't they dye Whale blubber to make rouge?

While the OP is definitely a demanding and annoying person, as a newb to rogues I found the information in the post to be very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Hi,
    This is where we are now. Ride the walrus, or drown in its wake
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlsdown View Post
    While the OP is definitely a demanding and annoying person, as a newb to rogues I found the information in the post to be very informative.
    Don't take it too seriously....
    There are a few points that I agree with, but this is hardly something that I would consider informative.

Points that I agree with:
    Agreed.
    (please note that this is not for vets, you already have your ideas and would not take mine anyway)
    Agreed.

Pretty much everything else here is opinion and/or dependent upon the character concept and/or just plain wrong. A little experience in actually playing a rogue might help the OP out, and if s/he claims to have played one.... my guess is that s/he would have been one of the types of rogues that s/he was complaining about in the first place.

*edit*
    OK, that was a bit harsh. There are a few points that new-to-rogue player could find informative, but that doesn't excuse that "stay in the back, disable the traps, stay out of my way and don't die" attitude.
    The ONLY rogues that the OP will find who are willing to follow that line of thinking are the new rogues who don't know where the traps ARE, and will therefore fail at what s/he considers to be disabling them "in a timely fashion" so even they are doomed to fail in OP's eyes.

*edit 2*
    And as I play primarily rogue type builds, when I group with players like this.... I zerg through the STILL ACTIVE trap with my evasion and wave at the OP from the other side.
    "What? You can't keep up? Try not to die."
    Last edited by Calebro; 12-12-2009 at 08:06 PM.

to build a proper rouge

A good rouge is nothing without a proper foundation, an elitist should know that. Also, even a good rouge can't take the focus off of poorly applied mascara and don't even get me started on the eye liner!

Moderatly reformed forum lurker.

"Hi, Lurker"

Quote Originally Posted by Eelpout View Post
    A good rouge is nothing without a proper foundation, an elitist should know that. Also, even a good rouge can't take the focus off of poorly applied mascara and don't even get me started on the eye liner!
    You win best reply so far!

Aha..haha...hehe..hahahahaha

Awesome satire post!

EDIT:: Oh, not satire, just a ridiculous poster. My bad.
    Last edited by enochiancub; 12-12-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

I would think a proper rogue would have enough intel to know how to write his profession...

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzly_Bear View Post
    I would think a proper rogue would have enough intel to know how to write his profession...
    Nah, he is obviously a CHR based rogue, you can tell by the tone of the post.

Moderatly reformed forum lurker.

"Hi, Lurker"

Rouge? Rogue? Whatever. Although I blush to say this, the difference is merely cosmetic.
    INGO
    Ghallanda
    Ingo - Human Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Rouge? Rogue? Whatever. Although I blush to say this, the difference is merely cosmetic.
    lol, i must tell you all, this thread, while not turning out exactly as i had hoped, is now really really funny

as to my spelling

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
    Khyber. Shanayney TR wiz. Sahanna 20 Cleric. ossifer of MADM

Community Member

lol, i must tell you all, this thread, while not turning out exactly as i had hoped, is now really really funny

as to my spelling

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
    there is a problem with that argument.

You didn't exactly misspell the word, you used the wrong word entirely-- bit of a difference.

also, that is really old, and over used, imho.

Community Member

as to my spelling

According to my research not knowing which witch is which might be the issue.

as to my spelling

OP - thank you for having a sense of humour.

That research though... ok, maybe it doesn't matter in terms of comprehension. But its not a justification for continually using the wrong word.

To ramp up a comparitive analogy to the level of utter unreasonablness (I.e. I know this is totally a comparison which has lost all perspective on the relative impacts of the two situations): A car will indeed work perfectly well regardless of which side of the road it is driven on. All the other road users will understand that its a car. But... if you aren't on the same side of the road as all the other car users going in the same direction, its going to get... messy. Generally speaking, probably best to go with the flow...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast