Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142
    Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by scampb View Post
    Well it looks like Junts and others have stopped responding to this thread but I am necro'ing it as I too have a question. I am TR'ing my Ranger into a Pally so I can then TR into the Helves-Angel build. I notice under IX. Sample Human TWF/Evasion: there is the suggestion of taking four ranks into pick lock at level 10, the second rogue level. Since that will only give 8 ranks I am wondering if I am missing something here. Would you not be better getting more jump, balance or even haggle than putting for more ranks in to a skill you will probably still not be able to utilize with only 8 ranks total.

I just want to make sure I am not missing something in my noobish build abilities, that is why I come to the forums

Thanks for any responses.
    i haven't tried it personally but my understanding is that those 8 ranks + the highest open lock item you can find +5 tools is enough to open most locks in the game currently. (Not necessarily on the first try)

Well it looks like Junts and others have stopped responding to this thread but I am necro'ing it as I too have a question. I am TR'ing my Ranger into a Pally so I can then TR into the Helves-Angel build. I notice under IX. Sample Human TWF/Evasion: there is the suggestion of taking four ranks into pick lock at level 10, the second rogue level. Since that will only give 8 ranks I am wondering if I am missing something here. Would you not be better getting more jump, balance or even haggle than putting for more ranks in to a skill you will probably still not be able to utilize with only 8 ranks total.

I just want to make sure I am not missing something in my noobish build abilities, that is why I come to the forums

Even with only a few ranks in open lock, you can open most doors and chests. Paladin / rogue is a great leveling build, especially if you have UMD stuff.

And you're right - Junts is on a break from the game, but may return soon.
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

Part of that is due to lock DCs being not too high in most places, and the fact that you can keep trying until you roll a 20 (not an auto-success, but 20+bonuses is definitely enough for most locks). Think about casters using Knock; they are probably adding less to their roll for Knock than you are even with only 8 ranks.

The other part is that a few ranks in Haggle don't mean a whole lot, Jump caps out effectively at ~40 (you stop jumping higher at that point, and between you Str and the Jump spell's +30, you'll probably be over 40 most of the time). Balance is worthwhile, but that's a decision for you to make.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Community Member

Thumbs up

free bump for awesomeness

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    Jump caps out effectively at ~40 (you stop jumping higher at that point, and between you Str and the Jump spell's +30, you'll probably be over 40 most of the time). Balance is worthwhile, but that's a decision for you to make.
    Jump checks are typically 30, so I try to keep my jump at 30 with ship buffs but without spells or pots.

The 30 jump checks I'm aware of:

- Skipping the minefield in Undermine
    - Skipping the fire trap in Schemes of the Enemy
    - Shroud shortcut

I can't think of any jump checks higher than 30 except maybe winter games coin farming.

if Junts comes back, would love to see a guide from him for Paladins and Epic Destinies.
    I am going with Unyielding Sentinel of course but wondering what I should put in for my twists of fate, something from Exalted Angel? Gradmaster of Flowers? Legendary Dreadnaught?
    Thinking I should swap out of US before I love it too much and gain some XP in my potential Twist of Fate ED's.
    Once I hit max in US, it will not be fun messing around with GOF for instance
    Conn Niall Paladin 20 TRx2
    Cormac Mac Airt Ranger/Rogue 12/1
    Connyl Niall Paladin 1 Connlyssa Paladin/Fighter 18/2

just as an example - lets take a generic human/helf pally build and the lock in servants (60 dc)

8 ranks.
    7 from tools
    15 item
    5 hverastility
    4 gh.
    all easy stuff to get.
    39. not quite there right?
    we say you start with a 15 dex and +2 tome 17 dex
    +5 dex item puts you at 22 which should be a +6 mod
    that means you are sitting at a 45. you have to roll a 15 or better - not great, but not hard either

not bad for only putting 8 pts into it.

hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

For epic destinies, my 18/2 evasion pally (with 4 ranks in OL, currently around +47 OL checks) is specced for THF so he's diligently working his way across the map to end in Fury of the Wild. His immediate goal for twists:

1. Endless LoH (Unyielding Sentinel, tier 3) +3 LoH, one LoH regenerates every 2:26
    2. Brace for Impact (Unyielding Sentinel, tier 1) 40% fort, +2 saves

Costs 8 twist points, or 24 destiny levels. I started in Exalted Angel and took it to 3 for the wings. (Just in case risia came back I wanted to be ready.) The planned path is:

Exalted 3 => Unyielding 4 => Flowers 3 => Shadow 2 => Legendary 4 => Shirardi => 3 Fury 5 = 24 levels

That's almost perfectly the minimum required grind just to get to Fury when starting in Exalted, plus a quick two-level pitstop in shadowdancer along the way just to round out the 24 needed. Eventually I'll want to add in another 18 levels to upgrade the twists to:

1. Endless LoH (Unyielding Sentinel, tier 3) +3 LoH, one LoH regenerates every 2:26
    2. Lithe (Shadowdancer, tier 2) +6 reflex save and ac
    3. Brace for Impact (Unyielding Sentinel, tier 1) 40% fort, +2 saves

That grind may prove too much for me, in which case I'd go with a mere 9 extra levels (instead of 18) and go with Unearthly Reactions from magister instead. (Tier 1, +6 reflex save +3 dodge)

Quote Originally Posted by noneill View Post
    if Junts comes back, would love to see a guide from him for Paladins and Epic Destinies.
    I am going with Unyielding Sentinel of course but wondering what I should put in for my twists of fate, something from Exalted Angel? Gradmaster of Flowers? Legendary Dreadnaught?
    Thinking I should swap out of US before I love it too much and gain some XP in my potential Twist of Fate ED's.
    Once I hit max in US, it will not be fun messing around with GOF for instance
    Depends on whether you're intending to be a tank or DPS. I think US is weak on the latter. If you're a tank, and you have significant AC, PRR, and HP already, I'd suggest twists that boost your offense, and maybe Improved Combat Expertise for some additional hardiness when in your defensive mode. The healing amp from Exalted looks attractive, but is probably unnecessary if you have amp built in otherwise (my paladin has 20 from Human, 20 on ToD ring, 30 from PDK gloves, 5 from past life, and 10 from ship, which is more than enough).

GMoF's 3% double-strike looks good, as does Haste Boost from LD. I also like both Gird Against Demons and Sense Weakness from FotW.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    Depends on whether you're intending to be a tank or DPS. I think US is weak on the latter. If you're a tank, and you have significant AC, PRR, and HP already, I'd suggest twists that boost your offense, and maybe Improved Combat Expertise for some additional hardiness when in your defensive mode. The healing amp from Exalted looks attractive, but is probably unnecessary if you have amp built in otherwise (my paladin has 20 from Human, 20 on ToD ring, 30 from PDK gloves, 5 from past life, and 10 from ship, which is more than enough).

GMoF's 3% double-strike looks good, as does Haste Boost from LD. I also like both Gird Against Demons and Sense Weakness from FotW.
    S&B Tank. AC says miss 72% at level, 41% damage reduction from ACC. Depending on US stance I am over 1000 HP and have the regenerating LOH and not as much amp as you but close. Seems very fine for EH quests, not sure how EE raids will go though, so either defense for EE quests or some handy offense for doing EH faster.
    I can level in Exalted Angel and GMoF now if I want. I could also use the DDO store to reach LD from GMoF now I believe.

Being a THF DOS, i think most enhancements in Fury of the Wild are irrelevant due to their rage status

However, LD sounds good enough to me, +6 seeker, Improved PA, dmg boost are all very nice
    I even want to go so far as to take the Cleave feat in order to qualify for Momentum Swing, my gut feeling is that it worths it

However I don't think my tactical feat will lead me to the Master's Blitz capstone though
    So in the end I may just twist Momentum Swing, Seeker (if it stacks to equip), and Improved PA/dmg boost

Can i have some opinions on this build pls

Its a THF variation of the Valhelm build.
    I want THF because of the very nice two-handed weapons I crafted/gathered in the barbarian life.

Im aiming for:
    - High ac mostly for survivability (but to be able to tank a raid boss if I have to)
    - Decent melee dps with heavy use of Divine Might I, Divine Sacrifice II, Cleave and Great Cleave.
    - Some self-healing capacity

Haven't tested this yet, but I suspect that with the buff to cleave in u14, that ability plus Divine Sacrifice will make a pretty interesting combo against multiple enemies.

Additional notes:
    I made final con 17 on purpose so that with the purple knight set it will result in an even number.
    Took extend to make the buffs last longer, but I can swap it for something else if it turns out to be unnecessary.

Finally, what would be the best unsuppressed ioun stone for a low lvl pali?

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.12.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 Lawful Good Dwarf Male
    (2 Fighter \ 18 Paladin) 
    Hit Points: 352
    Spell Points: 230 
    BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
    Fortitude: 24
    Reflex: 14
    Will: 13

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (34 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             18                    26
    Dexterity            11                    13
    Constitution         14                    17
    Intelligence         11                    13
    Wisdom                8                    10
    Charisma             13                    16

Tomes Used
    +1 Tome of Strength used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Constitution used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Charisma used at level 3
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 20)
    Balance               2                    16
    Bluff                 1                     3
    Concentration         2                    22
    Diplomacy             1                     3
    Disable Device        n/a                   n/a
    Haggle                1                     3
    Heal                 -1                     0
    Hide                  0                     1
    Intimidate            5                    28
    Jump                  4                     9
    Listen               -1                     0
    Move Silently         0                     1
    Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
    Perform               n/a                   n/a
    Repair                0                     1
    Search                0                     3
    Spot                 -1                     0
    Swim                  4                     8
    Tumble                n/a                   n/a
    Use Magic Device      n/a                   n/a

Level 1 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Barbarian
    Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 2 (Paladin)

Level 3 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Cleave

Level 4 (Paladin)

Level 5 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Great Cleave

Level 6 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell

Level 7 (Paladin)

Level 8 (Paladin)

Level 9 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 10 (Paladin)

Level 11 (Paladin)

Level 12 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 13 (Paladin)

Level 14 (Paladin)

Level 15 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Combat Expertise

Level 16 (Paladin)

Level 17 (Paladin)

Level 18 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Past Life: Berserker's Fury

Level 19 (Paladin)

Level 20 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Dodge
    Enhancement: Paladin Armor Class Boost I
    Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost I
    Enhancement: Dwarven Armor Mastery I
    Enhancement: Dwarven Armor Mastery II
    Enhancement: Dwarven Armor Mastery III
    Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Attack I
    Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Damage I
    Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Damage II
    Enhancement: Dwarven Constitution I
    Enhancement: Unyielding Sovereignty
    Enhancement: Follower of the Sovereign Host
    Enhancement: Paladin Courage of Good I
    Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good I
    Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good II
    Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good III
    Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good IV
    Enhancement: Paladin Focus of Good I
    Enhancement: Paladin Resistance of Good I
    Enhancement: Paladin Resistance of Good II
    Enhancement: Paladin Resistance of Good III
    Enhancement: Paladin Divine Righteousness I
    Enhancement: Paladin Divine Sacrifice I
    Enhancement: Paladin Divine Sacrifice II
    Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands I
    Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands II
    Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands III
    Enhancement: Paladin Extra Smite Evil I
    Enhancement: Paladin Extra Smite Evil II
    Enhancement: Paladin Extra Smite Evil III
    Enhancement: Paladin Defender of Siberys I
    Enhancement: Paladin Defender of Siberys II
    Enhancement: Paladin Defender of Siberys III
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Paladin Devotion I
    Enhancement: Paladin Charisma I
    Enhancement: Fighter Strength I
    Enhancement: Paladin Toughness I
    Enhancement: Paladin Divine Might I

Quote Originally Posted by zerit2002 View Post
    Finally, what would be the best unsuppressed ioun stone for a low lvl pali?
    A crafted devotion trinket of melee alacrity, by a country mile.

Finally featuring the well-needed disclaimer that this thread is not current.

Perhaps I will fix that. I wouldn't count on it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Junts View Post
    Finally featuring the well-needed disclaimer that this thread is not current.

Perhaps I will fix that. I wouldn't count on it, though.
    Holy ****! Junts!

How have you been?

I'll assume from your comment that you're just popping into the forums briefly, maybe seeing the state of the game. In any case, hope you're well.

Anyone up to the task of taking over for Junts?

We need a new Paladin builder.

Quote Originally Posted by noneill View Post
    Anyone up to the task of taking over for Junts?

We need a new Paladin builder.
    If I'm still playing DDO whenever Turbine redoes the paladin enhancements so that they don't thoroughly suck, I'll come back here and lay down my thoughts. For the time being, though, I can't even bear to log back onto my paladin after seeing the hit it took with the enhancement pass. Ferrumrym is worse in nearly every respect, including, most notably, in the area of flexibility. Turbine killed the S&B-focused paladin who didn't want to spend 100% of their questing time with a shield on their arm (and even those that did lost quite a bit). I can't speak to the TWF- or THF-focused paladins.

2015 DDO Players Council Nuclear_Elvis's Avatar

New to DDO, interested in building my first Paladin, and know that the recent game Update(s) have changed Paladin. With those changes in mind, I am interested in knowing how experienced players would now build a 28-point Human Paladin to either THF or Weapon/Shield combo. I already have other characters I have built for TWF and am not interested in that path at all for Paladin, and am not stuck on DPS or running through dungeons as fast I can. Rather, I'm just looking for an enjoyable pace to level 20, but especially interested in being capable of making mistakes and living through them as a new player (thus the potential for the Weapon/Shield rather than offensive THF only).
    Opinions/ideas appreciated.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear_Elvis View Post
    With those changes in mind, I am interested in knowing how experienced players would now build a 28-point Human Paladin to either THF or Weapon/Shield combo.
    See my Sacred Vanguard thread.

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142