Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stoolcannon View Post
    +1 on improved turning. However, there's a caveat to that.

In the earlier part of the game improved turning + hunter of the dead, + turning enhancements can be quite useful since most people will spend a lot of time in Delaras, Necro and the House P undead quests. When I first rolled my pali (also my first toon) I decided to make a "super undead beater" and it was very fun to play. Even all the way up to the highest level quests my turning was an autostun on pretty much everything but a red or purple named undead boss (and a lot of the time those too) which is a pretty big boon to the party.

As soon as I got to the point where I was spending most of my time in Vale and Amrath I feat swapped out the improved turning and rerolled my enhancements to DOS and focused on AC and party buffing with my aura which again was extremely helpful to the party and cost me very little since I was sword and board for both builds.

That said, it just wasn't a very fun build to play. Without intim and not enough DPS to generate a ton of hate (even with my DOS and Divine Righteousness) I was essentially a tank with no one to hit me. Without the epic and GS gear I also didn't have quite enough AC to be a supertank either (AC in the 65+ range party buffed) so I was still getting hit quite a bit in Amrath.

It was a good support build with lots of party buffs and very solid AC and I saved many a wipe with a timely LOH when the cleric was overpressed but it just wasn't all that fun to play.

I knew it was time to reroll when I could run around vale all day at level 17 with almost nothing hitting me but taking over an hour to make a single run with my hireling cleric (due to very low DPS).

I ended up deciding to GR into the Aryenne build in this thread and so far I'm very happy with the results. I didn't take extend spell however in favor of extra toughness but I'm wishing I had. I've got plenty of Divine Might and spells to get me through a quest but I'm casting more often which requires more management during combat to ensure I'm getting the most out of my DPS.

On the plus side: I'm now killing, a lot, and fast. I am regularly towards the top of the kill list and with the added benefit of evasion I'm not getting obliterated by spell damage constantly. It also enables me to zerg casters without worry and combined with general saves being so high this toon is the bane of caster mobs.

The downside: Melee damage can be excessive. I take a lot of hits when fighting melee mobs. I counter balance this with haste + dual vorpals which can tend to take the mobs down pretty quickly except of course on epics.

Final analysis: This build saved my toon! I had gone from this being my first and main toon to hardly even logging in, not even being motivated to get my last shard of power to begin my GS crafting. Now it's my favorite toon to run again. I'm doing a lot of damage, getting kills and still very useful to my party and with the added benefit of healing amp I'm typically the last one standing during those runs that go south to the point of party wipe.

The one question I have for junts is how much are your cure serious hitting for? I'm still getting pretty terrible results (30-45).

I took the healing amp suggestions but not maximize. Is that where I'm getting killed?
    You won't get good results out of your csw unless you have maximize and the full devotion enhacnement line, as well as an ardor effect (I suggest ardor 4 potions). As I hope you read from that build thread, that kind of healing isn't sustainable without SP-regen raid loot, and in the meantime I suggest you take other feats, because 5-6 spells per shrine isn't really that useful.

Aryenne has csw'd herself for 250 before, though the average is around 200ish.

After much learning with this post, I made my pala develop to lvl10 atm. A TWF drow, but one doubt remains looking at the feats sugested. Why take power attack if most of the times my worries will focus on to hit bonus?
    There are many options to incrise damage output but to hit i don't find many, being so why should one spend a feat on something that makes my to hit -4?
    I capped a ranger but paladins I'm still very green so any enlightement would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Reivaxx View Post
    After much learning with this post, I made my pala develop to lvl10 atm. A TWF drow, but one doubt remains looking at the feats sugested. Why take power attack if most of the times my worries will focus on to hit bonus?
    There are many options to incrise damage output but to hit i don't find many, being so why should one spend a feat on something that makes my to hit -4?
    I capped a ranger but paladins I'm still very green so any enlightement would be nice.
    Because outside of a few epic cases, a bit when leveling and a couple quests on elite, to-hit bonus isn't an issue at all. And in many of the aforementioned scenarios there are other factors that may be at play, which can justify using Power Attack.

Look at it this way: +5 damage is pretty significant, and is almost always good to have, but that -5 penalty can be painful in some situations. If you have the feat, you can choose which situation requires more damage and which requires more attack bonus, but if you don't have the feat, you can never make that decision, and in places where you could still be hitting 95% of the time with a -20 penalty, you won't have that added damage.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    Because outside of a few epic cases, a bit when leveling and a couple quests on elite, to-hit bonus isn't an issue at all. And in many of the aforementioned scenarios there are other factors that may be at play, which can justify using Power Attack.

Look at it this way: +5 damage is pretty significant, and is almost always good to have, but that -5 penalty can be painful in some situations. If you have the feat, you can choose which situation requires more damage and which requires more attack bonus, but if you don't have the feat, you can never make that decision, and in places where you could still be hitting 95% of the time with a -20 penalty, you won't have that added damage.
    I've been running the Aryenne build for about 4-5 days now and I hit pretty much everything, everywhere on almost every swing with power attack enabled.

I do not even have a +to hit item equipped right now.

I ran Epic Partycrashers last night and had to turn PA off and still missed now and again. The Epic spectrals should change that.

Also, it's really important to note (as Junts has pointed out ) that in Epic many of the mobs will be held in some way equaling auto hit.

PA makes a huge difference in DPS when you count up the number of strikes from a TWF build and gets even more significant when you start counting crits. I wouldn't go without it unless you absolutely need to in favor of something else.

Quote Originally Posted by stoolcannon View Post
    I've been running the Aryenne build for about 4-5 days now and I hit pretty much everything, everywhere on almost every swing with power attack enabled.

I do not even have a +to hit item equipped right now.

I ran Epic Partycrashers last night and had to turn PA off and still missed now and again. The Epic spectrals should change that.

Also, it's really important to note (as Junts has pointed out ) that in Epic many of the mobs will be held in some way equaling auto hit.

PA makes a huge difference in DPS when you count up the number of strikes from a TWF build and gets even more significant when you start counting crits. I wouldn't go without it unless you absolutely need to in favor of something else.
    Were you elaborating on my points, or did you quote the wrong post?
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Ty guys that made it clear on the advantages of PA, soon enough I'll see it trough expirience.

Both actually :P

Both actually :P

By the way, are the only Ardor pots the Greater ones to be purchased in GH, or are there Superior Ardor potions to be had somewhere?

By the way, are the only Ardor pots the Greater ones to be purchased in GH, or are there Superior Ardor potions to be had somewhere?
    You can purchase Superior Ardor I to V pots in House Jorasco, House of Wizardry. Theres a Divine Spell Enhancement Potion Vendor inside.

Edit: Also in House Phiarlan, Object Desire. Theres a Spell Enhancement Potion Vendor (also contains notably Superior Inferno for firewall goodness).
    Last edited by jadenkorr; 09-16-2010 at 07:16 PM.

What Jaden said.

You might want to grab a sup ardor 4-6 clicky to save on the drain, though, 100 ardor pots is fairly expensive (about 2/3 a heal scroll stack) and you'll use them up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by jadenkorr View Post
    You can purchase Superior Ardor I to V pots in House Jorasco, House of Wizardry. Theres a Divine Spell Enhancement Potion Vendor inside.

Edit: Also in House Phiarlan, Object Desire. Theres a Spell Enhancement Potion Vendor (also contains notably Superior Inferno for firewall goodness).
    Quote Originally Posted by Junts View Post
    What Jaden said.

You might want to grab a sup ardor 4-6 clicky to save on the drain, though, 100 ardor pots is fairly expensive (about 2/3 a heal scroll stack) and you'll use them up fast.
    Thanks fellas. I hadn't ever bothered looking for them until recently since Ferrum has been wearing Jinx's Vexation for his Superior Potency. Decided it was getting to the point where I'd have to swap armors, and just saw the assortment of Greater Ardor pots in GH when I went investigating.

Going to see about finding some clickies, but I will say that I definitely prefer the passive boost to the active for stuff like this. May just end up wearing the Beacon of Tira until the extra HP from Minos really starts to be more important again.

Thanks fellas. I hadn't ever bothered looking for them until recently since Ferrum has been wearing Jinx's Vexation for his Superior Potency. Decided it was getting to the point where I'd have to swap armors, and just saw the assortment of Greater Ardor pots in GH when I went investigating.

Going to see about finding some clickies, but I will say that I definitely prefer the passive boost to the active for stuff like this. May just end up wearing the Beacon of Tira until the extra HP from Minos really starts to be more important again.
    Spell enhancement potions are ML 1 and provide 15% per tier; you've using a benefit only 2/3 as strong as superior ardor by using devotion.

Do not use the Beacon of Tira; you're giving away a tremendous amount of healing.

Ardor, freeze, etc are 75% for superior, remember? Just like Telvi's sash, ardor potions are win.

Spell enhancement potions are ML 1 and provide 15% per tier; you've using a benefit only 2/3 as strong as superior ardor by using devotion.

Do not use the Beacon of Tira; you're giving away a tremendous amount of healing.

Ardor, freeze, etc are 75% for superior, remember? Just like Telvi's sash, ardor potions are win.
    So much nice stuff is going into Update 7. Maybe the description text on the Ardor, etc. clickies could be corrected.

...actually, I don't think I should wish for that. I'd have for the clickies to get nerfed because someone made the descrption and effect "match". That would be as stupid as nerfing Glancing Blows while moving in order to stop people from THF twitch fighting.

Yeah, I know, which is why I asked, but I'm a bum, and hate having to be bothered with keeping up my Glacier and Inferno clickies on my wizard... Not sure I want to bother with that **** on this guy so much, especially since if I let the buff lapse, and need a heal, I either get a ****** heal, or have to throw something up before tossing a cure. Which do you do? Keep it up all the time, or drink a pot/hit a clicky, when you need to heal?

Yeah, I know, which is why I asked, but I'm a bum, and hate having to be bothered with keeping up my Glacier and Inferno clickies on my wizard... Not sure I want to bother with that **** on this guy so much, especially since if I let the buff lapse, and need a heal, I either get a ****** heal, or have to throw something up before tossing a cure. Which do you do? Keep it up all the time, or drink a pot/hit a clicky, when you need to heal?
    I keep the pots right next to the heal button and, in general, am ok with seeing a **** heal occaisionally since if i really need 300+ hp at once, I'm gonna loh anyway. I'm pretty good about monitoring the timer since I'm also monitoring the 2:20 favor/zeal and the 1m divine might anyhow.

Having multiple charactesr with healing abilities (2 paladins, a healing bard, and finally resurrecting my cleric) makes you really good at timing ardor refreshes.

My twf paladin actually keeps CMW on the bar as well, though its really atrocious without ardor, her healing amp is high enough that it's a meaningful heal with ardor going, and while it isn't nearly as mana-efficient (5 sp less for 2/3 the hp basically), it gives me another button to hit if I csw and its on timer and didn't heal for enough due to missing the potion. Get 120 hp from the bad cure, drink pot, get 130 from cmw, continue on. Of course, that toon gets 200-230 per csw due to healing amp and having all 4 devotion enhancements, which the tank can't afford. (he has the same amp now, but 2 less enhacnements .. once both have the claw set, his amp will drastically outpace hers, though).
    Last edited by Junts; 09-17-2010 at 01:12 AM.

I keep the pots right next to the heal button and, in general, am ok with seeing a **** heal occaisionally since if i really need 300+ hp at once, I'm gonna loh anyway. I'm pretty good about monitoring the timer since I'm also monitoring the 2:20 favor/zeal and the 1m divine might anyhow.

Having multiple charactesr with healing abilities (2 paladins, a healing bard, and finally resurrecting my cleric) makes you really good at timing ardor refreshes.

My twf paladin actually keeps CMW on the bar as well, though its really atrocious without ardor, her healing amp is high enough that it's a meaningful heal with ardor going, and while it isn't nearly as mana-efficient (5 sp less for 2/3 the hp basically), it gives me another button to hit if I csw and its on timer and didn't heal for enough due to missing the potion. Get 120 hp from the bad cure, drink pot, get 130 from cmw, continue on. Of course, that toon gets 200-230 per csw due to healing amp and having all 4 devotion enhancements, which the tank can't afford. (he has the same amp now, but 2 less enhacnements .. once both have the claw set, his amp will drastically outpace hers, though).
    Thanks again, Junts. Guess I might as well start getting used to keeping an eye on the Ardor stuff now, while fights are less threatening.

You mentioned clickies a few posts up in place of pots to conserve expenses, but mention pots here. My assumption is that you aren't concerned with the expense, so don't bother with the extra hassle of using clickies. Am I right on that? If not, how many clickies do you bother carrying around?

Thanks again, Junts. Guess I might as well start getting used to keeping an eye on the Ardor stuff now, while fights are less threatening.

You mentioned clickies a few posts up in place of pots to conserve expenses, but mention pots here. My assumption is that you aren't concerned with the expense, so don't bother with the extra hassle of using clickies. Am I right on that? If not, how many clickies do you bother carrying around?
    I've been lazy about clickies for a different reason: I want ardor to always be the same button, a single button press, and not take up multiple of my important single-button hotbar slots, of which I only have 30 (as well as 30 alt+button). Not getting ardor because clicky a is gone and I should have pressed clicky B is a problem my bard deals with, but he can hotbar 4 sets of them because he doesn't have 15 weapons and a cubic ton of swap gear on 3 or 4 different slots that he expects to instantly swap in combat. My paladins do, especially the tank.

I want O to always give me ardor, and L to always heal me.

I've been lazy about clickies for a different reason: I want ardor to always be the same button, a single button press, and not take up multiple of my important single-button hotbar slots, of which I only have 30 (as well as 30 alt+button). Not getting ardor because clicky a is gone and I should have pressed clicky B is a problem my bard deals with, but he can hotbar 4 sets of them because he doesn't have 15 weapons and a cubic ton of swap gear on 3 or 4 different slots that he expects to instantly swap in combat. My paladins do, especially the tank.

I want O to always give me ardor, and L to always heal me.
    Yeah, I decided to do the same a little while ago. Picked up some pots, and put them on the modified key I use for my cures. Start button is CMW (CSW later), and Modifier + Start for Ardor pots.

Thanks again for the dialogue and tips.

Default Need some advice on a TR

Hello everyone.

First I want to thank Junts for creating this wornderful thread and also everyone else that contributed in it.

I have a now capped pure drow KotC pally that needs some guidance for the next life. It started as TWF build, but I wasn't happy with her performance at low/mid levels (around 12, iirc) and switched to THF after getting the SoS. Thus, I'm now stuck with 6 build points in DEX that could help in other areas.

What I intend her to be is pure 20 KotC pally, DPS with the ability to be a hate-tank in some raids.

My biggest dilemma is on the race, between drow and human.
    Human has some nice enhancements I can use (mostly heal amp and possibly some toughness ones and damage boost), no CON hit and an extra feat I'm not sure I need (probably Quick Draw or extra Toughness). Drow has only +2 CHA on the table and a 2 CON hit. No useful racial enhancements, but with the tight AP budged of a KotC that's not a huge minus, imho.

Comparing the two, human is obviously a better choice, but playing around with a character generator I was unable to fit in much human enhancements. And there's that thing that I like drow. A lot. I'd be much happier playing a drow than having an optimal build. I guess the real question here is would I be much much better off being human than drow? I'm happy with the drow's current performance in epics and raids (including EDQ and EDragon) so far, survivability and damage output are good even while still missing some critical gear (Levik bracers for the heal-amp, ToD set, Tharne's Goggles for the sneak-bonus, even though I have aggro most of the time). But tanking Horoth with 530hp (w/o Madstone rage or Yugo pots) with low (no) AC and heal amp is scary, had to fill that role on a few occasions (I know, those poor healers...).

Stat distribution will probably be one of the following, advice needed:
    Drow (18/10/12/10/8/17), (17/10/13/11/8/17)
    Human (18/8/13/8/8/17), (17/8/15/8/8/17)

Here's the gear I plan to use:

Ring slot 1: Lorinthor's Ring (don't have it yet, some doubt what stat to put on in it, between CON, STR and CHA);

Ring slot 2: Undecided, Epic Ring of the Silver Concord or another ToD ring (Verik's for the to-hit?);

Goggles: Tharne's Goggles or Epic Sandstorm Glasses;

Cloak: Conc Opp GS: 45 HP and +6 Wisdom, already made that;

Bracers: Levik's Bracers;

Necklace: Undecided, probably a GS with Minteral II for fortification or second ToD set neck; currently Epic Shimmering Pendant;

Belt: Lorinthor's Belt;

Boots: Madstone Boots, already have those;

Helm: Epic Helm of the Red Dragon with +4 resists, currently Minos Legens;

Gloves: Epic Spectral Gloves with GFL, already have them;

Armor: Epic Marilith Chain with Toughness (missing the shard); currently have Fullplate of the Defender and DT Breastplate;

Trinket: Undecided, Head of Good Fortune, Pale Lavender Ioun Stone or Litany of the Dead (not sure what the impact of wearing two items with negative level is); using Bloodstone until I complete the Marilith armor.

Weapons:
    Epic Sword of Shadow with Silver augment, +1 STR or CON (missing shard);

Epic Xuum (missing shard) with Cold Iron augment (if they fix it), exceptional stat as above;

Epic Antique Greataxe.

First listed are my preferred items. The final equipment will probably be Marilith chain, Red Dragon helm, Heavy fort GS necklace and Silver Concord ring and Head of Good fortune. Thought about getting the epic Claw set but decided against it because of the to-hit of Epic Spectrals.

Sorry for the messy post and kudos to everyone that managed to read it in one go. I could really use some advice on race and ability score distribution. Any other tips are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance,
    Luavrae of Ghallanda.

Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast