Default remaking my Tank

Ok, so Im remaking my fighter since he was my 2nd character and a 28pt build. Id really like him to be a tank that can absorb enough damage, intimidate, (maybe trip, sap, ect). that will eventually be able to tank (or off-tank?) raids.

So with that in mind, I went with 18,13,14,13,8,8 and am thinking Sap, Improved Trip and Combat Expertise. Is Sap and IT for crowd control worth their salt or should I go with something else like Shield Mastery and Bullheaded? Should I take some more Charisma or will an 8 do? I have been reading up on tanking and DPS, and there seems to be a balancing act that needs to play out. I read that I should have TWF or THF, but Im figuring I'll be using a big heavy shield as a tank right? Its funny, the more I read the more I feel like the rabbit hole is getting deeper. Thanks in advance.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roaros View Post
    Ok, so Im remaking my fighter since he was my 2nd character and a 28pt build. Id really like him to be a tank that can absorb enough damage, intimidate, (maybe trip, sap, ect). that will eventually be able to tank (or off-tank?) raids.

So with that in mind, I went with 18,13,14,13,8,8 and am thinking Sap, Improved Trip and Combat Expertise. Is Sap and IT for crowd control worth their salt or should I go with something else like Shield Mastery and Bullheaded? Should I take some more Charisma or will an 8 do? I have been reading up on tanking and DPS, and there seems to be a balancing act that needs to play out. I read that I should have TWF or THF, but Im figuring I'll be using a big heavy shield as a tank right? Its funny, the more I read the more I feel like the rabbit hole is getting deeper. Thanks in advance.
    im assuming this is a human. I would drop str down to 16 and bump charisma to 14. You wont have a problem hitting anything and +1 damage costs too much there, your combat DC's will still be fine. +1 DC on combat feats vs, +3 intim (which is your main task). Improved trip is good, sap?, bullheaded is nice though. You do have a few options though, fighter cap isnt really neccesay on an intimidator, you could go for evasion or pally saves.

i agree with the above poster's assessment

drop sap, stunning blow is better if you want. all fighters regardless of what they do should have twf or thf feats. also decide if you want kensai or defender
    If you want to know why...

Quote Originally Posted by Aranticus View Post
    i agree with the above poster's assessment

drop sap, stunning blow is better if you want. all fighters regardless of what they do should have twf or thf feats. also decide if you want kensai or defender
    Why? fighter tank w/o a shield? That doesnt make sense to me. I'll have to look up what Kensai and Defender is before I decide which one I want.

Why? fighter tank w/o a shield? That doesnt make sense to me. I'll have to look up what Kensai and Defender is before I decide which one I want.
    there are times where the healers will be mass healing the party, you are getting heals whether you are getting hit or not. will you still be using the shield?

there are times where your non shield ac is high enough for the mobs to miss. will you still be using the shield?

there are times where you are not the main tank and is beating on a boss which is beating someone else. will you still be using the shield?

Quote Originally Posted by Aranticus View Post
    there are times where the healers will be mass healing the party, you are getting heals whether you are getting hit or not. will you still be using the shield?
    Yes, unless the healer says over voice chat that that is exactly what they are going to be doing and even then...maybe. I think that would be a trust issue...

there are times where your non shield ac is high enough for the mobs to miss. will you still be using the shield?
    Until I figure out which mobs I can do that with, yes. afterwards, I guess not.

there are times where you are not the main tank and is beating on a boss which is beating someone else. will you still be using the shield?
    yes, because that means I am not doing my job (remember *I'm* the tank, not someone else). But, I guess if I ever get to raiding I wont be main tanking right off the bat...

you are a very experienced player, and I will yield to said experienced advice. I have only played a toon as high as level 8, and I havent seen one of those situations yet. That said (and Im an obstinate person at times), at lvl 3 I took THF because I was in a hurry, in a group, have heard that advice given in several other threads, and I didnt have the time to agonize over feat selections. I'll go get a nice two hander now I suppose. I imagine I'll have enough feats to go around and there's always Fred. Thank you for the help. Im sure I'll be back.
    Last edited by Roaros; 12-04-2009 at 09:43 PM.

Im an obstinate person at times
    i'll just leave at that and yw

yeah, sorry if I got your hackles up. I really did apreciate the advice though!

yeah, sorry if I got your hackles up. I really did apreciate the advice though!
    nope you didnt. you may not see what i see due to our difference in experience but you never discounted that you may one day experience what i'm seeing and may have to change when it is required. that by itself is something a lot of players lack

Often in raids everyone is crowded around a boss and the healer is mass healing. It wont matter if you have a shield on, you will still be getting heals. You say you dont trust the healer? Often times that wont matter either, as if your party doesnt get mass healed, you will wipe. So your shield will do absolutley no good, and only harm the group. At these times you want to dps as fast as possible.

Even once you get geared up, there will be times for whatever reason you arent main tanking. Maybe the party leader wants to tank. Maybe youre in a guild run and the guild doesnt trust a pug to main tank. Maybe someone else is better suited for it. Maybe another tank effs up his build and cant dps, but you can. Whatever the reason, you want to be able to dps at those times.

Very often in this game the group doesnt need someone to turtle up, they need someone to kill. Listen to Aranticus, learn from a pro, you will thank him later, trust me I speak from experience.
    Sarlona's FORMER #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikkilla Missquik~
    Member of Roving Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Quikster View Post
    Often in raids everyone is crowded around a boss and the healer is mass healing. It wont matter if you have a shield on, you will still be getting heals. You say you dont trust the healer? Often times that wont matter either, as if your party doesnt get mass healed, you will wipe. So your shield will do absolutley no good, and only harm the group. At these times you want to dps as fast as possible.

Even once you get geared up, there will be times for whatever reason you arent main tanking. Maybe the party leader wants to tank. Maybe youre in a guild run and the guild doesnt trust a pug to main tank. Maybe someone else is better suited for it. Maybe another tank effs up his build and cant dps, but you can. Whatever the reason, you want to be able to dps at those times.

Very often in this game the group doesnt need someone to turtle up, they need someone to kill. Listen to Aranticus, learn from a pro, you will thank him later, trust me I speak from experience.
    As if it were some kind of fate, yesterday I did WW on elite with a full group in the harbor. I ended up switching back and forth between shield/one hander and great axe depending on what was happening. I have to admit it was pretty nice to see a 60hp crit and Im pretty sure occasionally I was hitting two mobs at once without having cleave (cant truly confirm that). I know I was smashing 2 barrels at the same time once in a while though.