Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by KoboldKiller View Post
    The next time someone demands I talk i am going to use my best Nathan Lane from "The Birdcage" voice and talk non-stop.
    Or talk like Brad Pitt in Snatch, it wont be long before people are begging you to not talk.

As for me, I rarely use the mic. I guess I am just old, but I feel kinda retarded talking into a mic'd headset while playing. Something about it just feels weird to me. I know it's no different than talking on the phone, but to be fair, I hate talking on the phone too.

FWIW, I am an excellent listener and a very fast typer. Sometimes I'll type more in party chat than the guys with mics will say. So I am good with the party communications when it is necessary.

The biggest problem I have with the mics is that half the people out there have no business using them. The mic is either too close to the mouth or too far away. Can I get a mic check please?!? Oh and the people who use hands-free mics while there is a party going on in the background...just stop playing for everyone's sake. :P
    Last edited by Linenoise2; 12-03-2009 at 02:12 PM.

Hero
    The 10th circle of hell which dante didnt know was full of infraction points

Hero

This space reserved for promotional consideration.

Community Member YakoSpiritFist's Avatar

It doesn't really matter to me. I don't use voice but I make sure I can hear them. I think as long as people can hear the talkers it's fine. If I see a posting where they require you to use voice I just move on. I have yet to do anything in this game that would require it. Some people just take this game way to seriously.
    Server: Argonnessen
    Guild: Noble By Design
    Characters: Vorlok (Human Bard/Fighter), Trollokk (Paladin/Monk)

Quote Originally Posted by dimster28 View Post
    wow many of u says hearing is required, impossible to play without hearing.

fyi, i am deaf player in real life, and i play ddo fine for 3 years, hearing is not require, u are just spoiled with it, lol.
    I played with another player similar to you (maybe it was you?!) When I was told by the person that the he could not hear me, I switched to all typing and stopped using the mic for that quest.

As I said before, I adjust and adapt so that everyone can participate in the 'discussion' on a quest.

I really dislike the "assumed" nature of at least hearing voicechat in this game tbh. I've played the vast majority of this game inside and out; and would highly prefer to play "off ears" and with some music cranked as opposed to listening to people. I also tend to type instructions when I'm the party leader too just so there is no confusion - although it is amusing how many people will ask ridiculous questions because they don't read party chat.
    sravana, kirtana, smarana, dasya, atma-nivedana
    ...NAMASTE...

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Samadhi View Post
    I really dislike the "assumed" nature of at least hearing voicechat in this game tbh. I've played the vast majority of this game inside and out; and would highly prefer to play "off ears" and with some music cranked as opposed to listening to people. I also tend to type instructions when I'm the party leader too just so there is no confusion - although it is amusing how many people will ask ridiculous questions because they don't read party chat.
    You actually keep a party chat on your screen?

Community Member

I hope that any important information makes it into the chat window because I can't understand a good chunk of what people say in voice chat. I'm not hearing impaired (that I know of); there are just a lot of microphone eaters out there.

Having said that, if someone is deaf or otherwise can't hear voice-chat at all I would hope they would say something about it if they are on a team. It would help coordinate the group and I think most people would make sure to use the chat box if they new what the situation was.

Community Member

I prefer that group members, should they choose to use voice, use it wisely.

Too many people think I want to hear the stupid things they have to say.

I've seen several party wipes occur due to a person or group of people talking too much, prohibiting someone else from stating something important... say, for example, "INFERNO!!!!".
    DDOVAULT.COM
    Freedom from Oppression!

Eh, I'm completely deaf in one ear and partially deaf in another. Voice chat is basically useless to me, and besides that on the rare occasion I obliged and tried to compensate (basically only at launch with a static group) I still end up spending most of the game typing "what?" instead of playing (except when someone ends up being to loud instead).

My personal problems aside - I don't like it. I never have even on occasions I cranked my volume way up so I could hear. I don't want to hear your voice, breathing, eating, or anything else. I don't even use the sound in game at all, if I'm listening to anything it's probably music.
    Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est

Knowledge is power.

Quote Originally Posted by Samadhi View Post
    ... I knew you were ignoring me.
    Alexandria: ~TR~ Barb, cap. Elzibith: Barb, lvl 15. Luaidhean: Casting Cleric, cap. Premika: Battle FvS, cap. Siobhann: Battle Bard, cap. Temperrance: ~TR~ Monk, lvl 18. Treaka: ~TR~ Arti, lvl 13. Venngeance: DPS Ranger, cap. Yzabelle: ~TR~ Sorc, lvl 16
    The Sabbat, Ghallanda

I don't talk, but I would think everyone should be able to listen. Especially since there are important times where people say stuff over voice chat like "pull out for the blades, the lag is too bad" or "INFERNO!" as was mentioned already.

If the sound is a problem get a set of headphones.
    Arannel, Aqueous, Cocobolo, Arboreous, Erudirion, Congruous, and Cogs
    Ghallanda Rerolled

I'm used to chat only communication through Guild Wars, so I really don't mind if people can't use voice, or even can't hear.
    All imported information should be given ahead of time anyway, and if someone decides to run in front of the rogue, then it's his own fault.

It's actually quite interesting, Guild Wars has no build in voice chat, but a lot of the partys, even pugs, would ask you to use TS in anything that's considered a bit difficult, and would often kick you, if you couldn't or wouldn't talk. It was also a requirement to join most of the guilds.
    It seems that in DDO, where the feature is build in and there are accordingly less reasons not to use it, most people see it a lot more loosely.

I think I am mostly an "excpetion" to everyone in here. I use VC 100% of the time and I enjoy hearing others use it too. I intend to enjoy it even after I've run a quest 1000000 times. Yes, sometimes people are annoying but that's life. I fully enjoy communicating with others and accept that we are all different in our levels of experience both in DDO and out and welcome the opportunity to see what others enjoy or don't enjoy for that matter. Whereas I don't think VC is a requirement and would totally adjust to the needs of the party (in the case of the hearing impaired).

I am new to DDO and fully welcome the advice of others in VC and TOTALLY listen to what I'm told by the wielder of the *star*.

I know many don't feel this way but the D and D of DDO stands for Dungeons and Dragons which to me has ALWAYS been a social game were people of different backgrounds come together to play a game of creativity and joyful interaction (while killing stuff for loots). If I wanted to just listen to my music while killing stuff in a fantasy setting, I'd play Oblivion on my XBox 360...
    Starabelle McClean / Shamurai Daemon Slayer/Faithrune Justicar /
    Samuiree Kensai / Daviniti Soul Finder/ GRRONND HammerPain

Northern Virginia--We want to be our own state!

Quote Originally Posted by KoboldKiller View Post
    The next time someone demands I talk i am going to use my best Nathan Lane from "The Birdcage" voice and talk non-stop.
    Quit fibbing. That is your normal voice.

I prefer voice chat at least be enabled because I don't like to type that much when I'm playing, BUT if for some reason, a person can't use voice chat (like a broken sound card) or is deaf, I will type. It isn't that big a deal. I just have to pause healing once in a while. It gives me a chance to play Cleric Limbo. How low can they go?

~Anaelsbet~, 15 clr; ~Elsbet~, 7 rngr; ~Lilabet~, 20 bard; Islabet, 20 clr
    Phaeddre, 12 rog/2 clr

If you can hear people eating, then tell them. I wish the "test mic" setting actually worked for what it sounds like to the person on the other end. My friends told me my mic was screeching static, and that didn't show up on the test setting. Same when their sound was screechy, the rest of the party could hear it but the person themselves couldn't hear it - in test mode they sounded fine to themselves.

Then after one update, without changing my settings or mic distance at all, suddenly my friends could hear my breathing and I had to set the settings all over again, plus turn down all the game sounds so I could hear them!

Dual box DDO is the only way I've managed to accurately hear if the mic settings are good, loud enough but not too loud, no breathing noise, etc. My keyboard is really loud and the mic picks it up no matter what I do on the settings. Stupid keyboard.
    Please split the class forums into REAL subcategories this is a jumbled mess.

My problem with typing.

1) I forget to hit "enter" and therefore start spamming hotkey's actions like bring up my XP, Char Sheet, or Item GUI... Grrr ThenI have to close all of these to actually type my message LOL

2) I have to stop doing stuff to type, and I type ridiculously fast but make a bajillion typos which required copious back spacing (*NOTE* I used the backspace about 25 times just typing this sentence)

3) I often hit "/" when typing in party chat, especially before verrry long sentences and when I hit enter it says "unkown command" grr gotta type all of that **** again..

I need a Voice to Text in Party chat macro/ feature that is activated by the words "party chat"... that would rock!
    Starabelle McClean / Shamurai Daemon Slayer/Faithrune Justicar /
    Samuiree Kensai / Daviniti Soul Finder/ GRRONND HammerPain

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Irinis View Post
    . My keyboard is really loud and the mic picks it up no matter what I do on the settings. Stupid keyboard.
    Stop using Vox. Switch to push-to-chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Strakeln View Post
    I prefer that group members, should they choose to use voice, use it wisely.

Too many people think I want to hear the stupid things they have to say.

I've seen several party wipes occur due to a person or group of people talking too much, prohibiting someone else from stating something important... say, for example, "INFERNO!!!!".
    You are the wisest man on the forums lol
    Argonnessen Server Officer of ChaosKnights
    Satsuma (Human/fighter TR'd) ~ Sarkhan (WF Wizard) ~ Morgion (Human cleric) ~ Troubador (Human bard) ~ Zuess (Dwarven TW Kensai Fighter) ~ Mordekainen (Human TR'd Sorcerer) ~ Tharuk ( Elf Monk) ~ FlyingRobot (WF Barbarian) ~ Triskelion ~ (WF Fighter)

I don't talk 'cause She Who Must Be Obeyed is usually sleeping about 10 feet away, but I always have ears.

Never had any problems with any group because I don't speak.
    Gornin-F20, Snowleopard-M20(TR2), Locomotiv Breath-B20, Aqualung-FS20, Thickas a Brick-F17, WitchsPromis-Sorc20, Part of the Machine-Art20(TR1)
    No whining, unless you're serving really good cheese. Otherwise, put a cork in it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast