Default Implement "Teleport" as a Leap of Faith

I was reading and thinking about Master_Kadish's suggestion for Fly here and thought that it might also work for something a number of people have been asking for: a short range teleport spell!

Here is the idea, in a nutshell: implement either a variation of the Teleport spell or an entirely new spell as a short-range "jump" effect akin to Leap of Faith or Abundant Step. The spell level and SP cost could be chosen to properly balance the level at which casters get this ability and the efficiency of the ability against that of a Favoured Soul or Monk.

Some possible implementations would be Phase Door, an 8th level spell, as Leap of Faith such that casters get access to the ability sooner (at level 15) but it costs much more (45 SP per use would be quite steep) or Astral Projection, a 9th level spell, which would also give the ability to clerics, make it available at the same level as to the Favoured Soul (17th) but still make it far less efficient (at 50 SP!). As a qualifier, both of these seem like inhibitive SP costs to me as a player of a 20th-level Favoured Soul, but it seems silly to make an exception to the SP-cost rule for a single spell of higher level. In addition, it would fit the flavor of Fly vs. Wings, with the caster being much less efficient but able to use the ability sooner while it is essentially a free, inherent benefit of being a favored soul. With this in mind, my personal preference would be for this to be added as an option for the regular "Teleport" spell, coming in at 30 SP and a much longer cooldown to balance out the fact that it is made available earlier.
    Unofficial Dark Wizard of The Hand of the Black Tower

teleport should be to any location we want. to implement it like LoF would be a huge mistake. but to create a new spell with similar ability? i'm for it
    If you want to know why...

Quote Originally Posted by Aranticus View Post
    teleport should be to any location we want. to implement it like LoF would be a huge mistake. but to create a new spell with similar ability? i'm for it
    I agree, it should be wherever we want, but it also already exists in an even worse form than LoF, so I would think adding such a "short range" option would be an upgrade. Either as another variant of Teleport or as a new spell would be good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    I agree, it should be wherever we want, but it also already exists in an even worse form than LoF, so I would think adding such a "short range" option would be an upgrade. Either as another variant of Teleport or as a new spell would be good though.
    that would be a properly working dimensional door

Community Member marcosoneghett's Avatar

that would be a properly working dimensional door
    - Nice idea. But is there any technical implications when working on that? Major recoding implications?
    Gallandha Main:Selano; Alts: Phaenre; Bonno; Khazad; Montolio * Thelanis Main: Syrrion; Alts: Kaled; Aylon * Khyber Main: Toylan; * Argonessen Main: Steelcaster; Alt: Syrrion * Sarlona Main: Bonno. and many others on all these servers.

Quote Originally Posted by marcosoneghett View Post
    - Nice idea. But is there any technical implications when working on that? Major recoding implications?
    more of exploit than technical, ie dd thru force door to velah

or dd up to a non reachable ledge

Couldn't Teleport be "fixed" to send you to any bind point?
    I agree that we should be able to go to any place but for the sake of implementing it, I would settle for updating the Teleport locations to reference all the bind points (both Teleport and Greater Teleport!)

-

Quote Originally Posted by Zyklon View Post
    Couldn't Teleport be "fixed" to send you to any bind point?
    I agree that we should be able to go to any place but for the sake of implementing it, I would settle for updating the Teleport locations to reference all the bind points (both Teleport and Greater Teleport!)

-
    Well, the OP isn't talking about fixing normal teleport, he's suggesting implementing a "short range" (line of sight) variant.

I think the 'fix' to normal teleport you are thinking of (bind points/anywhere) is covered here:http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...light=teleport
    Last edited by Bradik_Losdar; 12-04-2009 at 12:17 PM.

more of exploit than technical, ie dd thru force door to velah

or dd up to a non reachable ledge
    But that's how you're supposed to use Dimension Door!

i think what he is reffering to isnt teleport but the blink ability of those nasty devils
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    *insert axe*
    o o

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhysem View Post
    But that's how you're supposed to use Dimension Door!
    Yup. And fly. And levitate. And rope and grapple. And climb skill.

Unfortunately they quests (at least up to GH and some beyond) were built with purely 2 dimentional thinking in mind. Knowing you didn't have any of these things, you were forced into a path. Just think what a rope and grapple (heck, anyone with a decent climb skill, the maze is only 10ish ft high) would do to allow you to jump through 75% of cruicible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_the_First_One View Post
    Yup. And fly. And levitate. And rope and grapple. And climb skill.

Unfortunately they quests (at least up to GH and some beyond) were built with purely 2 dimentional thinking in mind. Knowing you didn't have any of these things, you were forced into a path. Just think what a rope and grapple (heck, anyone with a decent climb skill, the maze is only 10ish ft high) would do to allow you to jump through 75% of cruicible.
    heck, i'd climb up to the seats of the pit fiends in part 3 tod and start ranging

Yes, we should be able to do all this and more. If only the game had been designed with 3D motion in mind....

But implementing teleport, DD, or a new spell as a Leap of Faith or Abundant Step-like ability wouldn't actually need any balance passes to prevent exploits. Since LoF and AS already exist, we're just extending an already existing ability to a new pool of people. All you need to do it make the spell (whatever it is) teleport you forward as far as possible, to a certain limit (the range of LoF or AS). Walls, barriers, etc. could still block it, no exploits would crop up.

On a side note, I do think we should be able to teleport like Orthons and Barbezu. But I also realize it might lead to what some think of as "exploits". Unfortunate view of the game, because, really, intelligent use of all your abilities is what it's all about. Turbine just needs to give their mobs/dungeons enough challenges and options to still make them threatening!

And I do try to avoid using the term "Blink" for teleportation effects, even ones like the Orthon ability, namely because in PnP the Blink spell makes you paritally ethereal and gives you a miss chance rather than teleporting you. But I understand other uses of the term, and would like to see the Orthon ability for players!