Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Creddi View Post
    Not another thread on this...

For the vast majority of quests, what crucial information are they missing that they wouldn't learn when they get their quest reward?

And if they don't know the quest yet, how would they know where the entrance was, let alone that the quest giver is beside it? Why would you want them spending time figuring it out rather than joining the party asap with no additional delays?

In the case of the few exceptions, there are usually additional issues regarding sharing the quest that would not be obvious to someone unfamiliar with the quest.
    You guys aren;t getting this... when you share the quest, a symbol appears on the map showing them where the quest is...

Instead of them saying "Where is this quest?" (which we all have done in the past), they say "share, please" and then they can find the quest on their map.

Stormreach Advisor

I will reproduce my earlier summary here:

Not every - or even most - uses of sharing are bad. However, those whose first word to the party after joining is "share" are without exception among the worst players.
    Sine Qua Non.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    You guys aren;t getting this... when you share the quest, a symbol appears on the map showing them where the quest is...

Instead of them saying "Where is this quest?" (which we all have done in the past), they say "share, please" and then they can find the quest on their map.

No, you aren't getting it...

1. They rarely say "please". It's usually just "share" as their first form of communication with the group. Not "hi, hey, how ya doing, kiss my a**", anything, just "share".

2. The symbol only shows up on their map if they are in the correct zone, which most aren't, so we end up giving some directions anyway.

3. Those cases where you have to talk to the quest giver to enter (Gwylans, SC, etc...), quit being a lazy s*** and go do it yourself!

4. There's not a quest in this game where I need someone to be in the instance 20 seconds faster than they would normally be by sharing the quest. Go find the quest giver, I will gladly give you directions, and LEARN something!!!

5. I am not here to babysit you or give you the "easy button". People learn by doing. Constantly hitting the "share" button teaches them nothing but how to type the word "share". Then at lvl 20 we've got nothing but a bunch of n00bs running around that don't know where anything is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    ~locks Erres in the ancient cage~

Quote Originally Posted by MissErres View Post
    I am not here to babysit you or give you the "easy button". People learn by doing. Constantly hitting the "share" button teaches them nothing but how to type the word "share". Then at lvl 20 we've got nothing but a bunch of n00bs running around that don't know where anything is.
    They do learn where the quest entrance is, and when they get their end-reward, they learn where the quest-giver is (Both are marked on the map with symbols - entrance when you share - quest-giver when the quest is completed)

It IS rude when they just say "share"... but I understand why they do it... It makes it much easier to find the quest entrance... and let's face it, most of you aren't waiting outside the quest entrance so they can just look for your dots... Most of you are already inside, zerging... and "sharing" is a lot easier than giving directions.

Cool and the OP says.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post

Actually, it is you that are not getting it. I covered the base you are attempting to re-cover in the original post. I'm not talking about the nice newb. I am not talking about the confused newb. I am not even talking about the truly dumb newb. I'm talking about the lazy, ignorant, macro spamming, no manners having newb.

Everyone one of us was a newb. Some of us were well versed in PnP rules going as far back as the Original expert set.(im a geek)

When we played, we had to type or ask over voice chat. The integrated voice chat and how its evolved helps make this game better than many others, IMHO.

I like the Idea of not being able to share quests until 5th level. If the devs want to make it easier on them, light all the harbor quest entrances and givers up on the map, and MAKE them learn how to use it.

I think you'll end up with a better caliber/equipped player in the long run.

~chair

Community Member

The majority of people that play DDO are always in a rush and zerg basically all the time,so much so that taking the time to run to the quest giver is too much.

Now if the quest giver is right beside instance is another matter but lets be honest here,it is always hard for new players as a lot of them do not know the quests by heart and such so cut them some slack.DDO needs all the suscribers it can get. lol

But in reality sharing a quest isnt a big deal,unless of course it actually challenges you then you might want to step away from the computer. =P
    Last edited by jcoffey; 12-21-2009 at 10:22 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123