Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member

When asked for a share like this...i tend to share a lot generally keeps it from being asked a gain

I find that most people dont appreciate me sharing all my quests with them when they asked for one....just trying to be helpful and Evil!

can u share stormcleave with me?

Dude..... no.
    just..... no.

Community Member

If some1 types share after joining my group, I simply just kick them without reason, to me if he says share he s either too lazy or really doesnt know. Either way he s just gonna slow me down , either by piking or by flower sniffing, no thx, I ll go faster alone.

Of course if I m in a noob friendly mode I will explain where the quest is and where the quest giver is.
    I m not usually in a noob friendly mode tho.
    ~~~ R E V E N A N T S ~~~
    Ayspam Life #27/27(Completionist Sorc), Aycare Life #10/10(Evoker FvS), Ayplink Life #22/22(Completionist to be decided), Aygo Life #14/14(Helvesbarian)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogchair View Post
    I'ts becoming bad IMHO. Many new players aren't bothering to learn where anything is. They automagically want you to share the quest without even trying to do it for themselves......I'm not talking about the occasional forgetfulness, or that person who really doesnt know where the giver is....I'm talking about the guy who has 'share the quest' down like its a macro.

I think its making new players lazier. I kinda liked(sadistic, I know) watching some sap drop group when they forgot to get Hound or VOD......even when it was me. Walk of shame.

Agree, disagree?

Sound off.

/chair
    I have my own response down like a macro to! "Are you free to play?", so far I've been right every time except once. It helps that I mostly play P2P quests with small groups probably though (I don't run into a lot of people doing this - in fact I hadn't seen one till I read this thread then the next day like five popped up).
    Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est

Knowledge is power.

Community Member

[QUOTE=cardmj1;2595063][quote=Creddi;2595006]Not another thread on this...

For the vast majority of quests, what crucial information are they missing that they wouldn't learn when they get their quest reward?

Reasons why people get upset over this...

1. The person asking for the share is often extremely rude about it.
    2. It shows a complete lack of appreciation for game exploration.
    3. Shows a lack of knowledge of basic game tools. (ie. quest log, lfg information provided...)
    4. Shows laziness on persons part that is asking.
    5. Questionable skills and here's why... If they can't do their part to pick up the quest, are they going to contribute in the quest. This may seem silly but it still runs through my mind, especially when the quest giver is at the entrance. In other words,"Great! Another piker."

The worst part is I am in a guild that goes out of their way to teach people game mechanics, basic strategies, and just about anything else they need or want to know. I am not an expert, but the entire guild together has an average experience in this game at 3 years. My experience so far has been that people who rudely ask for a share (not the forget kind, mind you) tend to be people that will not listen, does not contribute in any way, does not assist with any type of questing strategy for the party, and refuse to learn from ANYONE!
    So you're saying then that:
    All newbies to the game (like me) should zerg around all areas of stormreach and accept -every- quest - just so that when someone joins in a quest all they have to do is find the quest in their -endless- areas to figure out which they need to go to?

Now, I'm new to the game. I ask all the time "Share quest please" for the simple reason I -don't- know where the various quest-givers are. Once I find out I'm happy to memorize it and go there - however being a new person playing I don't want to spend time running around getting the quest when I -should- be in with the group slaying (when on my fighter) or slinging spells (my sorc) or whatever else I need to be doing. When I join a group - most of the time they're already in the dungeon and need me asap.

Is that always true? No. Sometimes I have time to find things. However just because someone is new and says "share quest" or whatever... *shakes head*

The other side of the coin is... just because one guild goes out of their way to teach newbies things, remember all the times when no one in your guild is on - and all those "helpless newbs" are learning on their own.

Of all the things to gripe about - this is not one of them.

A ranger takes the last place of a TS group.

"Share the quest!"

/facepalm

Default I am all for the share the quest function

This was implemented because of the massive disconnect that some people experienced when running to Hound or VoD. It's purpose is served because the leaders don't have to deal with the convenient disconnects of absent minded folks.

The purpose it serves now is that when Pugging it is an accurate indicator of the quality of person you are going to have to carry through the quest if the first thing they type is /share. if it bothers you put the boots to em.
    ________________One of Two Kings_________________
    *Runix*Lazarath*Drednauht*Slaadi*Malrauthin*Umaru*

Stormreach Advisor

Heeeey! You do not get to have a conflict-free version of this thread, we slogged it out in a katamari of hilarity a bit ago.

Share is a basic human right! Our forebears fought and died for it! Hell, New Hampshire's state motto is "Share Always or Die!" You are bad people trying to oppress everybody.
    Sine Qua Non.

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

[QUOTE=Praxian09;2621459][QUOTE=cardmj1;2595063]
    Quote Originally Posted by Creddi View Post
    Not another thread on this...

For the vast majority of quests, what crucial information are they missing that they wouldn't learn when they get their quest reward?

All newbies to the game (like me) should zerg around all areas of stormreach and accept -every- quest - just so that when someone joins in a quest all they have to do is find the quest in their -endless- areas to figure out which they need to go to?

Now, I'm new to the game. I ask all the time "Share quest please" for the simple reason I -don't- know where the various quest-givers are. Once I find out I'm happy to memorize it and go there - however being a new person playing I don't want to spend time running around getting the quest when I -should- be in with the group slaying (when on my fighter) or slinging spells (my sorc) or whatever else I need to be doing. When I join a group - most of the time they're already in the dungeon and need me asap.

Is that always true? No. Sometimes I have time to find things. However just because someone is new and says "share quest" or whatever... *shakes head*

The other side of the coin is... just because one guild goes out of their way to teach newbies things, remember all the times when no one in your guild is on - and all those "helpless newbs" are learning on their own.

Of all the things to gripe about - this is not one of them.
    You used to need to explore to find quest givers, but now they all stand within eye-shot of the start of the quest. If you can't find the quest giver next to the quest, you are either lazy or stupid, and either way you won't be contributing in quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Praxian09 View Post
    Yes. It's a learning tool. People learn more by doing rather than by just being fed the "easy button". There's maybe only one or two quests in this entire game where it is important that you enter quickly, Shroud being one of them. People that take the time to learn the game are the ones I want in my groups, regardless of their experience or account status. The ones that don't want to learn... cya.. Boot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    ~locks Erres in the ancient cage~

Community Member

[QUOTE=Lorien_the_First_One;2621494][QUOTE=Praxian09;2621459]
    Quote Originally Posted by cardmj1 View Post

You used to need to explore to find quest givers, but now they all stand within eye-shot of the start of the quest. If you can't find the quest giver next to the quest, you are either lazy or stupid, and either way you won't be contributing in quest.
    Many of them are not beside the quest entrance but are in taverns. Others are near the entrance but not precisely at the entrance. The fact that you insist they are *all* within eye-shot of the quest tells me that you are simply ignorant.

More to the point though, you take it for granted that the person knows where the entrance to the quest is. If they don't know where the quest entrance is, then how would they see the quest giver, in eye shot of the quest or not?

And furthermore you are assuming that I *don't* find quests on my own. That doesn't mean I have found every bloody quest in the game or even been in every zone in the game. Why should I, regardless of my level?

If, as is common, my cleric gets an invite to somewhere I can't yet solo and have no reason to go to due to that, why should I have gone there in advance to memorize quest givers I don't need yet rather than doing something I can do (grouped or solo)?

Sharing is a simple click, but appearantly that is far too much work for you.... and you call others lazy.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MissErres View Post
    Yes. It's a learning tool. People learn more by doing rather than by just being fed the "easy button". There's maybe only one or two quests in this entire game where it is important that you enter quickly, Shroud being one of them. People that take the time to learn the game are the ones I want in my groups, regardless of their experience or account status. The ones that don't want to learn... cya.. Boot!
    No... learning works a LOT better by association. Just running around randomly getting quests teaches relatively little. To learn efficiently, you need to associate that quest giver with *that* quest.

Note I do try to solo quests often on lower difficulties, which helps me learn the quest and helps me learn locations, but that is not practical for all quests.

And frankly, if you are booting people because they can't remember a quest location (rather than not knowing how to play their characters), I don't want to group with you in the first place. Your priorities are a little off, given this is just a game.

[QUOTE=Creddi;2621527][QUOTE=Lorien_the_First_One;2621494]
    Quote Originally Posted by Praxian09 View Post

Many of them are not beside the quest entrance but are in taverns. Others are near the entrance but not precisely at the entrance. The fact that you insist they are *all* within eye-shot of the quest tells me that you are simply ignorant.
    You are right, they didn't dumb down House quest givers like they did in the marketplace and harbor, I was exagerating to say all. The reality is however they are not hard to find, you can explore, and if the party is forming and you don't know where it is, ask where the quest giver is if it isn't obvious. You can also ask where quests are, although generally its pretty obvious if you look in your quest journal. If at that point the group wants to support your laziness, so be it, that's their choice.

Failing to find the quest giver yourself also means you don't have a clue what the quest is about. Personally I don't think they should allow sharing until you have completed a quest once.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

When prompted with "share" my usual response is: "it's in house X, come to us." or something to that effect. I won't immediately boot someone for wanting a quest shared, but I think giving them a general direction to head to and having them find it will have a better effect. I could be completely wrong in that, but it seems more like teaching how to fish vs heres a meal.

Only exceptions are perhaps explorer quests & raids. Happens to the best of us from time to time that we forget to grab the quest and if it's a long walk back I'm not going to make you trek it when I can share it.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

My favorite share request was from a vet that was standing right beside the quest giver" share please, she talks too much!"
    Halflings Rule and never irritate anyone that can cast dispell

removed
    Last edited by zorander6; 01-21-2010 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Braegan View Post
    When prompted with "share" my usual response is: "it's in house X, come to us." or something to that effect. I won't immediately boot someone for wanting a quest shared, but I think giving them a general direction to head to and having them find it will have a better effect. I could be completely wrong in that, but it seems more like teaching how to fish vs heres a meal.

Only exceptions are perhaps explorer quests & raids. Happens to the best of us from time to time that we forget to grab the quest and if it's a long walk back I'm not going to make you trek it when I can share it.
    Agreed. I'd also be more understanding for BAM, the most idiodic quest giver placement going.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonhyde View Post
    My favorite share request was from a vet that was standing right beside the quest giver" share please, she talks too much!"
    lol now thats a reason I'd share for

Quote Originally Posted by zorander6 View Post
    While I can completely agree that doing "SHARE PLZ" can get annoying it is aggravating as a "new" player to have to try to remember where every single quest giver and quest is. I'll spam an area for new quests but if I do so at level 4 or 5 and the quest giver won't even talk to me till level 7 it can be a little hard to get all the quests. If your group of elite gamerz are standing around the entrance to the quest and I have to run across the city to get the quest wouldn't it be more efficient to just share the quest? Four button presses is all it takes to share a quest while it may take me a couple minutes to run across town to get to the quest giver and then back across town to find the entrance (which doesn't show arrows when all of you impatient runners are in the quest already unless I have the quest selected in my quest log which is another argument.) Now I know there are some people who use the quests to go directly to elite without passing GO! but most people run the quest through on normal and then want to do it on hard and elite for favor.

As for the argument of "they need to read the dialogue in order to understand the game" I agree that if you want to understand the storyline and the game then yes reading the dialogues is important. However, many gamers just want to get into the quest and bash stuff so they get XP and favor. Is this the wrong way to play? Not necessarily though you lose a lot of the game that way. Being rude is being rude but sticking your nose up and saying "you must remember where each quest and quest giver is or I'll boot you" is elitist at best and honestly not fun to play with.

Just my opinion.
    You rarely have to "run across the city" to get a quest.

The storyline often includes instructions/hints on doing the quest. For example, failing to read the storyline in Deleras has left many the new player not knowing what weapons to use on ghostly skellis.

No one suggested you must remember where each quest is... you are far less likely to get booted for "when can I find this quest giver" than "SHARE"

Community Member

I'm trying to meet people who ask for shares halfway. If they ask politely, I'll often do it if (and only if) the party is full. If they are funny or otherwise socially engaging, I'll do it every time. If they own up to being a forgetful or lazy knob, I'll usually share to reward their honesty and forthrightness.

When someone asks rudely for a share, I assume that one or more of the following applies:
    - they haven't done the quest before
    - english isn't their first language
    - they haven't learned DDO courtesy yet

At that point, I'll ask if there's anybody in the party who is a first-timer or english second language. I'm sympathetic to those cases, and happy to help them.

The ones who haven't learned DDO courtesy yet deserve an attempt on my part to teach them some culture. I'll usually make an attempt to be friendly to them during the quest, then nudge their behavior in the right direction before we're done.

My 2 cents,
    -blarg

Community Member

Running around picking up every single quest isn't a learning tool. I can do that in my sleep, ignore -everything- the people say and still get the quest, know where it starts, and not know a thing about it.

What you're looking for in a group isn't someone that knows how to play their class, but someone who enjoys the feeling of Eberron and the uniqueness that goes with it.

Personally, I'd rather have the guy that knows how to use his class and fill him in on House info as I go myself (as I've got more Eberron lore than a lot of my friends i've met online). Primarily because they've only heard of Eberron when the MMO came out, and not Table top'd it before hand.

Overall, I'd say suck it up. This isn't EQ where if you don't know about the quest you're not getting ANYTHING for the info that you need to do it. This isn't GW where all the quests are highlighted by an arrow or bright shiny marker over the tops of their heads, this isn't blah blah... this is DDO Eberron, where the devs said "Push a button and share the quest". It does make it easier, but if you don't want to share then don't share. As for me, I'll assume that others are like me and don't know where it is and will share when I know something and not when I don't.

Sharing a quest is a tool (and a useful one too), but I suppose if your one of the elitists on the server who only want "the best of the best", well my "noob" status will (and happily) go elsewhere. =D

I will share...

I will share my gear, my armor, my weapons... hell, even my haste pots!

I will not share a quest when a PuG pops up with 'SHARE'.

Gear and plat, 2 things I have an abundance of, can be hard to come by even for those that are new and trying. Quests... nope, pretty damn easy to get.
    I would give ya +1 for that one MissErres & I'd give ya another one for the 'location' but I'm all repped out...'till tomorrow
    Last edited by Anarkius; 12-13-2009 at 06:50 PM.
    I believe in mind over matter. If I don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Sarlona! Yep, back again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast