Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arrow Sharing the quest - good or bad?

I'ts becoming bad IMHO. Many new players aren't bothering to learn where anything is. They automagically want you to share the quest without even trying to do it for themselves......I'm not talking about the occasional forgetfulness, or that person who really doesnt know where the giver is....I'm talking about the guy who has 'share the quest' down like its a macro.

I think its making new players lazier. I kinda liked(sadistic, I know) watching some sap drop group when they forgot to get Hound or VOD......even when it was me. Walk of shame.

Agree, disagree?

Sound off.

/chair

It annoys the heck out of me for quests like durks or Xorian when the quest giver is right besides the quest, for things like the hound where someone forgot to take the quest I dont mind but people should learn where stuff is and pick up the quest while there, and if it isnt part of a buggy chain retake the quest when they are done.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Community Member

Not another thread on this...

For the vast majority of quests, what crucial information are they missing that they wouldn't learn when they get their quest reward?

And if they don't know the quest yet, how would they know where the entrance was, let alone that the quest giver is beside it? Why would you want them spending time figuring it out rather than joining the party asap with no additional delays?

In the case of the few exceptions, there are usually additional issues regarding sharing the quest that would not be obvious to someone unfamiliar with the quest.

Home sweet dungeon. Is that a beholder eyestalk I stepped on?

I can understand it if the Q giver is in the other end of the area or like the Relic of Sovereign Past in a different area, but the ones that get to me are those that don't know or are too lazy to click a few texts from a giver standing next to the entrance.

Two very fresh examples:
    - Gianthold non-flag quests - I've had two or three occasions of players asking to share Maze of Madness or A Cabal For One. Thankfully, in all the cases it was new guys to Gianthold and when we told them the quests are automatically grated upon arrival, they didn't insist on getting share.
    - Tear of Dhakaan - Guys joining group instantly wanting share. The funny bit here was that the rest of us almost simultaneously typed 'Q giver at entrance', which coming from 4 people at once made us all chuckle.

The bottom line is, while ignorance is a bad thing, it can only hurt those under it's influence. Sharing is up to you, but in most cases it's better to just do it, than go to the trouble of typing where quest giver is and how much asking that question annoys you.
    If world peace existed, I'd be playing Farmville right now

Ozzy Osbourne ALWAYS gets vorpals against bats!

I don't think you should be able to accept a Share Quest send-out until you have received Normal favor for it. It would solve a lot of problems, among them knowing where the quest is, and knowing the quest specific info the NPC gives out.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I don't think you should be able to accept a Share Quest send-out until you have received Normal favor for it. It would solve a lot of problems, among them knowing where the quest is, and knowing the quest specific info the NPC gives out.
    Such a good idea its worthy of a +1 at least to me.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Completely agree, I have an entire Zombie Thread dedicated to it, heh =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Get more Aliens quotes into Voice Chat: This makes the "evac" a much more tactical choice, and puts some serious pressure on the rest of the group when your Wizard leaves. "Game over man, game over! Now what the **** are we supposed to do?"

Hypothetical situation:

You are the leader of a full party for POM,everyone's at the place,you go in and everyone else follows,one member goes "Woops,I forgot to take the Quest,could someone please share it with me?".

What do you do?

You do not know anything about that person,this is a PUG group.
    Last edited by Sarazahj; 12-02-2009 at 02:35 AM.

[quote=Creddi;2595006]Not another thread on this...

For the vast majority of quests, what crucial information are they missing that they wouldn't learn when they get their quest reward?[quote]

Reasons why people get upset over this...

1. The person asking for the share is often extremely rude about it.
    2. It shows a complete lack of appreciation for game exploration.
    3. Shows a lack of knowledge of basic game tools. (ie. quest log, lfg information provided...)
    4. Shows laziness on persons part that is asking.
    5. Questionable skills and here's why... If they can't do their part to pick up the quest, are they going to contribute in the quest. This may seem silly but it still runs through my mind, especially when the quest giver is at the entrance. In other words,"Great! Another piker."

The worst part is I am in a guild that goes out of their way to teach people game mechanics, basic strategies, and just about anything else they need or want to know. I am not an expert, but the entire guild together has an average experience in this game at 3 years. My experience so far has been that people who rudely ask for a share (not the forget kind, mind you) tend to be people that will not listen, does not contribute in any way, does not assist with any type of questing strategy for the party, and refuse to learn from ANYONE!

Hall of Famer & Hero DoctorWhofan's Avatar

[QUOTE=cardmj1;2595063][quote=Creddi;2595006]Not another thread on this...

For the vast majority of quests, what crucial information are they missing that they wouldn't learn when they get their quest reward?

Reasons why people get upset over this...

1. The person asking for the share is often extremely rude about it.
    2. It shows a complete lack of appreciation for game exploration.
    3. Shows a lack of knowledge of basic game tools. (ie. quest log, lfg information provided...)
    4. Shows laziness on persons part that is asking.
    5. Questionable skills and here's why... If they can't do their part to pick up the quest, are they going to contribute in the quest. This may seem silly but it still runs through my mind, especially when the quest giver is at the entrance. In other words,"Great! Another piker."

The worst part is I am in a guild that goes out of their way to teach people game mechanics, basic strategies, and just about anything else they need or want to know. I am not an expert, but the entire guild together has an average experience in this game at 3 years. My experience so far has been that people who rudely ask for a share (not the forget kind, mind you) tend to be people that will not listen, does not contribute in any way, does not assist with any type of questing strategy for the party, and refuse to learn from ANYONE!
    QFT.

I hate Groundhog Day
    +The Goddess of Tempest's Spine+Merc's Only, THELANIS: List is here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...94#post2798094 LEGIONNAIRE /Salute to Rameses, He has RETURNED!

Community Member

I know where the quests are, I still ask people to share the quest if its listed as (completed) in my journal.

I don't see the issue, you're complaining people arn't bothering to find these npcs themselves because they are too lazy unyet you appear to be too lazy to just open your jorunal and hit the share button, an effort of considerably less time.

Don't assume because people ask to have the quest shared they don't know where it is. Not everyone joining your groups are less experienced then you. You may not think it but people asking you to share the quest are saving everyone in the group time not just themselves.

My major gripe is having to click through all the conversation text for a quest AFTER I've selected repeat quest.

/signed

It's not people (usually) who know where everything is. It's (mostly) noobs who don't know where JACK is yet and never will if they keep getting share quest share quest.
    It's not hard to share the quest and I will usually because it saves time, that is then spent trying to guide them to the right house or what ever. What is bother some is the share quest for GH side quests, I mean u literally get the quest when ya walk up to it!!! Or Stormcleave, I mean U have to fricking talk to the chick to even get in the quest.

I remember when it was fun to actually find stuff out on ur own and explore ****!!!!

"Hit points=DPS! You aren't doing ANY DPS when ur dead!"
    and like that,.......he was gone.

Smile Newb response

My usual MO is to run around harbor, marketplace, all houses, etc... gettting all the quests that show up just so that I don't have to ask 'share plz'. I like to be ready to join a group ASAP. I may have to say ' where is this quest?' but rarely do I ask to share.

Added benefit: it gives me a REALLY nice to do list.
    A cheap Tattoo ain't good and a good Tattoo ain't cheap
    "___''___Woman ''____''____''__''__''___Woman ''___''

M2T

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dogchair View Post
    I'ts becoming bad IMHO. Many new players aren't bothering to learn where anything is. They automagically want you to share the quest without even trying to do it for themselves......I'm not talking about the occasional forgetfulness, or that person who really doesnt know where the giver is....I'm talking about the guy who has 'share the quest' down like its a macro.
    i agree completely. this kind of behaviour is outrageous, and destroying the game.

this issue has gotten me so worked up over the past week that i have been unable to sleep. i took a tour around my neighbourhood yesterday getting people to sign a petition imploring turbine to make changes to the game so that quest sharing would no longer be possible. to date i have 6 signatures (and a pawprint from old Mrs Marsh's labdrador from across the street).

i fear that if changes are not made within the next month or so, the world will stop turning sometime toward the middle of next year. that being the case, i hope to hell that that part of the world which ends up facing the sun contains australia, as i am scared of the dark.

given the imminent catastrophe, i am seriously considering making a movie about this issue, so as to raise awareness. i am thinking of calling it "An Undeniable Truth", and having sarah palin narrate it.

I will share...

I will share my gear, my armor, my weapons... hell, even my haste pots!

I will not share a quest when a PuG pops up with 'SHARE'.

Gear and plat, 2 things I have an abundance of, can be hard to come by even for those that are new and trying. Quests... nope, pretty damn easy to get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    ~locks Erres in the ancient cage~

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Agreed.

Everyone should read the quest dialogue once...

Ennervated,mind blasted,psionically dominated,encased in stone in the subterrane

Leveling the TR toon right now. You dont know how many times I accept a request and immediately the person types "share". Thats it. No hey dude could you share the quest? No please. Just "share". I dont want to party with rude-ass people like that anyway.

Turbine gave us "share" but you know what they also gave us Dungeon Scaling and the quest is easier without them. SAYANARA BUDDY!

Default hmm

I see everyones point. The rudeness factor is really what bothers me as Twerp said: No , Hi, Hello , etc. Just "share".
    I got no problems sharing, but doing a quest with a bunch of fun people makes it alot more enjoyable then the rude ones that say next to nothing, just make demands.

As for asking others to share...i do it occasionally. Im level 10, ive completed most of the house quests 6-10ish on elite. Theres a couple i still havent and it might be that when i originally had done it, on normal or hard, it was a month or so ago and i just dont remember where the entrance is( what can i say, im old) . Ill say hello and everything to everyone 1st...then simply ask can someone share....purely for the time saving for everyone, not laziness. Ive never noticed anyone get annoyed about it.

Is that a bad thing?

I don't speak for everyone, but another reason people might be asking for a share is they might not understand how grouping works. That was me for the first couple of weeks in the game.

I don't know where I got the idea, but somehow I got it in my head that you had to share the quest with party members in order for everyone to get the proper XP and favor upon completion. So I was asking for shares even though I knew perfectly well where the quest-givers were. It didn't help my misconceptions any that most of the time I would receive a share without asking as soon as I was accepted into the group.

I don't ask any more because I've since figured out how grouping and share actually work. But anyway, maybe most new players really are that lazy and need to be spoon-fed, but just be aware that maybe someone is asking for a share because they think that's the proper way to run quests in a group. I can't be the only one.
    Last edited by katana_one; 12-03-2009 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarazahj View Post
    Hypothetical situation:

You are the leader of a full party for POM,everyone's at the place,you go in and everyone else follows,one member goes "Woops,I forgot to take the Quest,could someone please share it with me?".

What do you do?

You do not know anything about that person,this is a PUG group.
    This is not the situation folks are complaining about, when complaining about other players demanding a share.
    The situation you described is a player asking for a share. Politely even, with a full sentence.

The situation complained about is the folks posting just "share" or sometimes "SHARE" or "share plz" in group chat, sometimes repeatedly. Often without responding to any groupchat in voice or text with anything other then "share"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast