Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21

    Default

    I disagree with the need to give the fly spell to anyone. I do however think that blink would be a nice addition to the spellbook for wizards and sorcs. Just a variation of abundant step/LoF, but more akin to the teleport that devils and orthons do. While you are at it, please make it so that the featherfall effect of LoF can be turned off early, nothing sucks worse than needing to remove my ff item and having no good come of it because I LoF everywhere I go...
    Optymuz Prime - Chang Tsu

  2. #22
    Community Member Artagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    613

    Default

    Not that this is at all in current game rules.. but wouldn't it be useful if it just had a SP cost over time? heck a lot of spells would be good with that mechanic.. Let's see.. Fly is a lvl 3 spell, so 3 sp every 6 seconds (2sp every 6s with extend) Sure, this is more expensive than actually casting it.. but fly would be more balanced, since it's an inherently powerful mechanic. Or.. to counter being able to turn it on to do a crazy leap, you could do the initial cost of the spell PLUS a SP/round cost.. this might actually be a better method, so that it doesn't become extremely abusable.. Yes, you can use it once in a mission for that ridiculous move.. but you better think long and hard before you do it. This mechanic would work well for other spells, especially ones that normally require concentration..

    How bout the introduction of other types of walls? You can see why the developers wouldn't want it to be a normal spell, because it would be incredibly broken.. but if it cost the caster sp to maintain there would be a very finite amount of uses for the spells..

    I think that fly could be very doable for DDO, but I would turn up the archer aggro against flying targets and make it self-cast only.. I might even increase the dmg that archers could do vs. flying targets, or give an AC penalty to the flier since they are such an obvious target
    Last edited by Artagon; 12-03-2009 at 09:57 AM.

  3. #23
    Community Member quickgrif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Blink would be awesome. A quick cast to get a caster out of trouble... maybe.


    "Be good, if you can't be good then be good at it."

  4. #24
    Community Member Largo_Kyber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    161

    Default

    I don't confess to know D&D lore all that well, so I don't know if it's plausible but it would be cool if we could fight in another plane of existance where we have permanent fly.

    I imagine a really cool anti-gravity explorer area with other flying mobs and such.

  5. #25
    Community Member Wizzly_Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,557

    Default

    If they can give upper level souls "fly" through leap of faith, they can give it to casters to. Souls get it at 17th. Casters should get it at 5/6.

  6. #26
    Community Member Letrii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    2,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Largo_Kyber View Post
    I don't confess to know D&D lore all that well, so I don't know if it's plausible but it would be cool if we could fight in another plane of existance where we have permanent fly.

    I imagine a really cool anti-gravity explorer area with other flying mobs and such.
    That would be astral or ethereal planes. You move around by willing yourself to move.


    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

  7. #27
    Founder Guildmaster_Kadish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Neumayer Research Station, Antarctica
    Posts
    1,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twerpp View Post
    If everyone could fly around for 5 spell points it would trivialize the FvS/Monk abilities.
    First off, Favored Souls' "Leap of Faith" is modeled on the fact that they are supposed to get wings, which the arcane spell "Fly" mimics the effect of, and Monk "Abundant Step" is modeled on the class' spell like ability of dimension door (also an arcane spell):

    Quote Originally Posted by d20 SRD
    Abundant Step (Su)
    At 12th level or higher, a monk can slip magically between spaces, as if using the spell dimension door, once per day. Her caster level for this effect is one-half her monk level (rounded down).
    So there really is no reason to give these abilities to monks and favored souls, but not wizards and sorcerors. Second, your generalization of "everyone" flying around simply wouldn't occur; this proposal would only grant the ability to wizards and sorcerors. It would be simple enough to not sell scrolls of the spell and thus prevent "everyone" from spontaneously gaining the ability. Third, I did not say that they should be able to fly around for 5 spell points, I asked for the Fly spell to be implemented as that particular effect. The fly spell is a level 3 spell, which means it would have four times the cost (20 sp per cast) and a much longer cooldown than the FvS ability. Hell, you could even put a spellcasting animation on it to slow it down further. Alternately, it could be implemented as an alternate version of dimension door (which Abundant Step is supposed to be), which would be a level four spell at 25 sp base cost.

    Quote Originally Posted by Letrii View Post
    FvS should be able to fly, no duration or SP cost.
    Agreed. However, as fun as it would be, there simply isn't much point in hoping for it, as it would be easily exploitable (at least, as far as Turbine is concerned). In fact, that's why Leap of Faith and Abundant Step do not allow z-axis movement... flight would trivialize countless challenges, among them the Abbot, the DQ, ToD, and numerous non-raid quests. Do I wish Turbine had designed quests with Fly in mind and would implement it as a true "Fly" ability (like that that the SR gives)? Of course. Are they going to implement it that way now? Almost certainly not.
    "Perhaps the end has not yet been written…”
    The Hand of the Black Tower Officer
    Najdorf, Assassin :: Keres, Vindicator :: Alekhine, Augur

    "It's not 'Zerging.' It's an armed reconnaissance."

  8. #28
    Community Member Tin_Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Letrii View Post
    It would be nice to go up and down with other movement allowed and penalties for attacking while levitating?
    I always thought Turbine screwed themselves in this argument/debate. They should never have called the Stormreaver given ability 'fly' It should have been something entirely different, like 'improved levitate' or 'Reaver's loftiness' or something other than FLY.

    This is Fly

    Fly
    Transmutation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Travel 3
    Components: V, S, F/DF
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Creature touched
    Duration: 1 min./level
    Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
    The subject can fly at a speed of 60 feet (or 40 feet if it wears medium or heavy armor, or if it carries a medium or heavy load). It can ascend at half speed and descend at double speed, and its maneuverability is good. Using a fly spell requires only as much concentration as walking, so the subject can attack or cast spells normally. The subject of a fly spell can charge but not run, and it cannot carry aloft more weight than its maximum load, plus any armor it wears.

    Should the spell duration expire while the subject is still aloft, the magic fails slowly. The subject floats downward 60 feet per round for 1d6 rounds. If it reaches the ground in that amount of time, it lands safely. If not, it falls the rest of the distance, taking 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet of fall. Since dispelling a spell effectively ends it, the subject also descends in this way if the fly spell is dispelled, but not if it is negated by an antimagic field.

    Arcane Focus
    A wing feather from any bird.
    What you do in Reaver, is NOT fly, its more like directional levitate.....

    Change the name, and give up on the "fly" argument, like TORCHES and SPEARS and SIZED damage, and MONKEY GRIP etc... its a on the list of argued to death with no positive effect... sad, but true.
    DO AWAY WITH DUNGEON ALERT< BRING BACK INDIVIDUAL DEATH PENALTIES!
    It makes better players of all of us.
    Darpa: Xoriat
    http://kevinpape.com

  9. #29
    Community Member Letrii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    2,747

    Default

    They should unnerf FvS and give them their true class feature.


    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

  10. #30
    Founder Ghoste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    A mobile construct citadel in the Mournland where I plot fleshling death.
    Posts
    4,709

    Default

    But just imagine all the halfling **** all over the place!!! Who's going to house train them all?
    My Videos Shadow Mage (ok, it's a build now)
    A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
    Britches and Hose kidnapped my dog and are forcing him to farm Shroud ingredients.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload