Thread: DX11 news

Talking DX11 news

DiRT 2 is just one of over three dozen games in development that will support or be optimized for DirectX 11 graphics. The list includes:

* Alan Wake
    * Alien vs. Predator
    * Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    * Battlefield 3
    * Crysis 2
    * Dungeons and Dragons Online
    * F1 2010
    * The Lord of the Rings Online
    * STALKER: Call of Pripyat
    * Supreme Commander 2

Source - http://www.dailytech.com/DiRT+2+Rele...ticle16984.htm

Hope there are massive graphic changes and not just tiny changes. That is my suggestion.

This actually sounds like bad news for us laptop users...

Little worried about this. Hopefully Turbine continues to support Low and High-res versions of DDO to keep the same compatability with older systems as it does now. Any Dev out there wish to chime in on this?

I wouldn't worry that it would somehow leave those without DX11 behind. DX10 support has been in for almost/over a year and it has had no impact on those who do not have it.

Keep in mind the way this works: it only takes advantage of the extras (dx10 or dx11) IF you have the video card and the OS to run it and if you select it. If not, it keeps doing things the old fashioned way via DX9.1c (or whatever it is).

Not to mention Turbine wants to make as much money as they can and wouldn't be foolish enough (not even Turbine) to abandon their low end user base. Your money spends just as well as someone using DX10 or DX11.

That being said, bring on the DX11 titles, I need justification for buying a shiny new DX11 card (radeon 5850)!!

Hope it isn't required like DX9 was for EQ1.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

When i went from DX9 to DX10, i was like "meh", some neat things, but mostly just a costly upgrade (and having to use vista, ugh). Looking at this site (http://www.overclock.net/ati/597046-...vs-dx-9-a.html) i'm actually damn curious how DDO will look in DX11. I do a bit of 3d animation myself, so i know whats going on, but still, it's nice to see it look so damn real instead of flat polygons like that.

I personally will hold judgement until i see DDO running in it. If it's that awesome though, i'll have to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by tfangel View Post
    When i went from DX9 to DX10, i was like "meh", some neat things, but mostly just a costly upgrade (and having to use vista, ugh). Looking at this site (http://www.overclock.net/ati/597046-...vs-dx-9-a.html) i'm actually damn curious how DDO will look in DX11. I do a bit of 3d animation myself, so i know whats going on, but still, it's nice to see it look so damn real instead of flat polygons like that.

I personally will hold judgment until i see DDO running in it. If it's that awesome though, I'll have to upgrade.
    Yeah I saw that video clip and it looks pretty sweet (the potential anyway).

You can even download that Dx11 benchmark tool from here: http://unigine.com/download/ and run it if you have the machine.

Its pretty damn amazing.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Letrii View Post
    Hope it isn't required like DX9 was for EQ1.
    Won't happen. It cuts off all the XP users, and there are a lot of XP users.

Community Member

As previously mentioned, it won't effect any existing players or hardware, there will be a DX11 module, so those that can use it have the option to. I'm interested to see what the game will look like with DX11 enhancements, as one of my biggest problems with the game is the poor graphics. That said, the appearance of the game will still be limited by what it starts with. Not knowing that much about graphics and game engines, I'm not sure how much can be changed by DX11. I've seen demo's, etc. that show the incredibly detailed wireframes and much more detail that DX11 can offer, but when you compare DDO running on DX10 with AOC on DX10, the difference is huge. DDO using DX10 still has very blockey characters and environments and very flat textures with limited use of grasses, etc. to add realism, whereas AOC has some ground textures that look very realistic and have more depth. I don't know whether that is down to the texture itself or the lighting. If you take that further and compare it with some of the environments in game like Crysis, it is hard to believe that they are both running DX10. I don't know how much of it is down to the game engine, but I have seen other games that use the Crytek engine that look **** and equally LOTRO, which also uses the Turbine engine, looks far superior to DDO. As such, my expectations are not that high for how DDO will look on DX11, but I'm remaining hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn_Falcon View Post
    Won't happen. It cuts off all the XP users, and there are a lot of XP users.
    Not compatible with XP?

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Quote Originally Posted by greengurgler View Post
    i Wouldn't Worry ...

That Being Said, Bring On The Dx11 Titles, I Need Justification For Buying A Shiny New Dx11 Card (radeon 5850)!!
    Qft.
    DO AWAY WITH DUNGEON ALERT< BRING BACK INDIVIDUAL DEATH PENALTIES!
    It makes better players of all of us.
    Darpa: Xoriat
    http://kevinpape.com

Quote Originally Posted by Letrii View Post
    Not compatible with XP?
    DX10 is Vista onwards, and DX 11 is Windows 7 onwards. Windows XP can only use DX9.1c.