Default Underwater Combat Not here yet, but we can still have environment effects

Ever been in the water and a creature fireball you and you take full damage, ridiculous huh?

Water is an "environment" like dolurrh is, it has effects on anyone who's in it.
    Here's some things to think about.

1) time delayed drowning damage to all creatures that breath air after X time has gone by, overridden by airy water, water breathing spells or the non-breathing attribute of warforged. (already in game)

2) 75% fire reduction and then fire/50. So all fire damage is first three quarters removed, then 50 points is absorbed.

3) cold spells is slightly dissipated by water 25% Cold reduction. But theres 5% chance of ice entanglement. (like entangle spell, stops movement or slows for limited time)

4) Lightning /electrical area of effects is doubled in water. (shocking grasp becomes a mini shock sphere)

5) Acid is dissipated by water all durations for acid are reduced to 1/4 . Acid 50% reduction on all acid damage.

7) Physical missile fire is impossible when launched from inside water. For missiles launched from outside water damage is 75% absorbed.

8) Bludgeoning 50% reduction, slashing 75% reduction and DR 20/piercing (20 points from all non-piercing physical damage)

Water itself can be poisonous, extremely cold , corrosive, disease laden, negative energy charged or cursed, positive energy charged or blessed, thick and oily (slowing) . In addition to the above effects. (or replacing some)
    Last edited by Chaosprism; 11-28-2009 at 01:23 AM.

Water only affects non-magical fire. Fireball is definitely magical.

Would have to check DMG, but think missile weapons work underwater in some fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Fireball I always thought was the same as other evocations, they covert magical energy into plasma (fire), electrons (electricity), Photons (light), Compressed Energy (force), Sound etc.

Either way it doesnt make sense to me that you could be burnt by a fireball while underwater. (at least not with a HUGE amount of damage reduced)

Only way I would see water affecting fireball is possibly detonates as soon as you cast it with disastrous results to caster.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Water transmits heat very well. Any effects of intense heat will be amplified by water, not mitigated. This is why it's a very bad idea to try cover yourself with wet cloth in a building fire, or hide in a hot tub during a wildfire (and two people cooked themselves like lobsters doing so in the California wildfire a little while back).

The water in a lake may dissipate the heat due to its volume, but with as intense of a fire as a fireball is supposed to be, the more likely result is a flash boil at the point of impact.

So, I think if you're in the water and get hit by a fireball, you should take extra steam damage and have an Obscuring Mist effect in the immediate area.

heat maybe.. but not fire.
    Fireballs are all about fire. Fire needs oxygen to burn, it's not getting that in the water.

And the volumes of water you normally talk about in DDO are quite large. I dont see the fireball getting past the surface of the water, thats my main gripe

The creation of other effects at point of impact on the water would be cool though.
    Fireball shot at the water detonating on the surface and making an obscuring cloud would be cool.

I thought a fireball detonates at the desired location OR when it strikes an obstacle. Water would qualify as an obstruction so the fireball would detonate on the surface of the water and generate the flash boil and mist effect described by someone earlier.

I dont think fireball is actually hot enough to flash boil the water though an obscuring mist effect would be nice. It takes a serious amount of energy to flash boil water, try microwaving water for a while in a very clean vessel. Then drop one small item in the superheated water.