Thread: new puter

Community Member boricua_in_cali's Avatar

Default new puter

I need a new machine to game with. (DDO, CoD4, CoD : MW2, TF2, COD: WAW, Peggle, Crysis, BF 2,) and still be able to do everything else relatively well. Prefer one good vid card over two lesser cards...

I want to buy parts slowly, like maybe spend $200 a month for 5-6 months, and then finally have it all together... (between the 3 jobs, purchasing ammo, school, and gf, i'm not big ballin by any means)

What parts should I get?

If I do something like this, which components should I buy first, to get the most bang for my buck? Basically, what I'm asking is: which order should i get the components in, to make sure to get the best buys, since I'd be taking 6 months to build?
    P.S. I'll be importing a lot of my current storage space, and using my existing Mx-518, Saitek Eclipse II, and LCD(s).

Any advice welcome. And if it helps, to avoid the name calling and such, I'd say on technological literacy between noob0 and guru 10, I'm about a 7. I feel uncomfortable applying thermal paste and sticking the processor on, but other than that, i think a DIY project is right up my alley...
    MABAR
    BluCheese And Pickles - WideFlange Beam -Microwaver

Peggle will be the hardest game to build for!

I would spend a lot of time digging through Newegg.com and buying things when they are cheap.

I don't think there's really a right answer for this, one big thing will be whether you plan to replace your motherboard or not. Is that the MX-15 thing?

I'd put it based on what's priced when, but maybe this (based on no motherboard replacement)?

Memory (RAM)
    Video Card
    Processor
    Faster hard drive
    DDOcast - A weekly podcast about DDO!
    Characters: Sarlona: Mockduck (Cleric): Beefheart (Fighter): Mockduk (Ranger/Rogue): Monkduck (Monk): Veiovis (Fvs/Rog) Guild: Mockduck (Rogue) Cannith: Mockduck (Fvs/Rogue) Twitter Facebook

What do you have Now? Nothing in your current rig can carry over?
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Mockduck View Post
    Peggle will be the hardest game to build for!

I would spend a lot of time digging through Newegg.com and buying things when they are cheap.

I don't think there's really a right answer for this, one big thing will be whether you plan to replace your motherboard or not. Is that the MX-15 thing?

I'd put it based on what's priced when, but maybe this (based on no motherboard replacement)?

Memory (RAM)
    Video Card
    Processor
    Faster hard drive
    no no, my Mx-518 is my mouse, from Logitech. I've tried the Razrs, and the Revolution and etc, but I really have grown to love my mx-518 more than any other mouse!

As for my motherboard, since I do feel nervous about the entire thermal paste, processor situation, and also sine my current rig works wonderfully, I do plan on keeping it intact, though possibly moving some of my parts from one build to the other (mostly hard drives, and my new PSU that I bought about 4 months ago when my old one went out..

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    What do you have Now? Nothing in your current rig can carry over?

Yeah, the 8800 GT card could carry over, as could some of my storage space, and my optical drives, but like i replied to the 2nd poster, I do plan on keeping my current rig up and running as computer #2, so I don't want to totally cripple it, ya know?

I've also considered going to ibuypower.com, which appears to customize machines to user specifications quite easily, though of course, at a premium price..

What led me to start this post though, goes back to components. I know I could spend $300 on a graphics card right now, and prob $300 on a proc right now, another $300 on a mobo... but since I plan on spending $2-$300 a month on parts, I'm wondering if the most bang for my buck would be obtained by getting the video card last, since my initial impression is that where the advances are made most rapidly, and where the prices drop fastest...

storage space is not an issue, I have over 3 TB of drives that I can move around to easily free up a TB or so for the new rig when it's born...

Any more suggestions, or any specific products that any of you techies could recommend?
    MABAR

btt
    MABAR

If you are essentially building computer number 2 while using computer number one, but building comp 2 over time on a monthly spending limit, then that would make sense to get the video card towards the end of the building process, because you are right about the tech changing frequently and prices dropping all the time.

The way I read your reply is that you will be building a new computer and keeping your old one relatively intact, just taking some hard drives and stuff from it? As long as you will end up without having to buy new stuff for your "old" comp, that's fine, but I'd probably start fresh with all new stuff.

There's too many good brands out there to give a specific recommendation, IMO, in part because there's usually a price vs. power ratio involved. Which is better, a super-fast video card that is outrageously expensive, or a lesser but still excellent card that is half the cost of the uber one? Depends on the person, the income and the mindset.

I would make sure that whatever video card you purchased supports DX11. Not many games use it now, but DDO will soon, and it will be a way to help "future proof" your card. If I was to buy a new card, I'd make sure it has a terabyte of memory, although I'd consider a great-priced 512mb card as well (I use one now and it's just fine for DDO).

I would make sure that your hard drives are relatively fast and are SATA drives.

I would make sure that you get the fastest memory you can afford, and as much of it as you can afford. 8 gigs seems like overkill now (for some folks ), but you'll be glad that your motherboard and such can support it in a year or two.

Don't be afraid of thermal paste! I'd probably get a new motherboard and processor if I was building a new comp, but that's your choice, of course. Keep the old MB and proc in your old computer, use it as a backup-second computer.

Have fun! I've already shilled for Newegg.com in my first reply, but I really would use them to browse for parts. I swear by that place. Tigerdirect.com can be a nice place to get parts too, or get them locally or wherever you prefer.
    DDOcast - A weekly podcast about DDO!
    Characters: Sarlona: Mockduck (Cleric): Beefheart (Fighter): Mockduk (Ranger/Rogue): Monkduck (Monk): Veiovis (Fvs/Rog) Guild: Mockduck (Rogue) Cannith: Mockduck (Fvs/Rogue) Twitter Facebook